Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Snack Time ❯ Toshiro Hitsugaya ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
 
Toshiro Hitsugaya
 
The sun was slipping slowly below the horizon of a cloudless sky. The air was humid and still. No scent of flowers rose from the earth, as no flowers grew outside the building. Flowers required work, time and attention and were not the priority of the person working inside.
 
A shaft of the fading sunlight shone through the office window onto the desk of a Captain, a desk that appeared to have reams of paper placed all over its surface. The shaft of light slowly moved as the sun slipped further down, until it illuminated the compact figure sitting behind the desk, head bent over the paper on which he was busily writing. As the sun finally set, the light slowly faded into twilight and the office was cast into shadow.
 
Captain Toshiro Hitsugaya cursed softly, dropping his pen and massaging his stiff fingers and hand. `Damn cramp,' he said quietly. He continued massaging his hand until the pain eased. Once the pain was gone he was startled to notice the darkness of the room. Yawning widely he rubbed his eyes and tried to look at the paperwork.
 
`Nearly complete. I wonder when I'll get rid of this and do some real work. No one told me that being a Captain would mean sitting behind a desk this often. I thought I'd be more than a blasted administrator,' he said aloud, his voice echoing through the otherwise silent room.
 
Rising to his feet, he stretched, raising first one arm and then the other above his head. He then rotated his shoulders, trying to ease the ache he felt after sitting for so long. `I'm too young to feel this stiff. I need more exercise. That's it. Tomorrow I'm doing something else; not more paperwork. Matsumoto can do the paperwork tomorrow,' he decided.
 
`Captain? What am I doing tomorrow,' asked a voice from the door. `You shouldn't be working in the dark,' Matsumoto continued as she illuminated the room.
 
`You'll be doing the paperwork tomorrow. I'm having the day free from the tedious stuff,' Toshiro told her.
 
Matsumoto's face fell. `I had plans for tomorrow,' she said plaintively.
 
`Change them. If I have to read another requisition form I might start eating them. If I have to write one more word of explanation I'll make a hang glider from the rest of the paperwork and jump off the Senzaiku Shi-Shinro with it trying to fly,' Toshiro said.
 
`That sounds like fun, Captain. May I join you?' Matsumoto said.
 
`I wasn't serious. Where were you anyway? I thought you were supposed to be helping me with this,' Toshiro replied, anger in his tone.
 
`I had that meeting. I'm sure I mentioned it to you earlier, Captain. The Shinigami's Women's association meeting,' Matsumoto's eyes glowed with remembered enjoyment of the meeting.
 
Toshiro made a face. `And what momentous decision was made this time? There should be more female Captains? Or did you decide to try a new shade of lip gloss? Or maybe you will now part your hair differently, or wear something even more revealing,' he said as he indicated her cleavage.
 
The enjoyment in Matsumoto's eyes was replaced with anger. `I don't tell you how to dress, Captain.'
 
`A good thing too. I'm the Captain,' he said, the steel in his voice was unyielding.
 
Matsumoto turned her back to Toshiro. `I had thought of asking you if you wanted to share a meal tonight. If you're in that mood, I don't want your company,' she said over her shoulder as she began to walk out the door.
 
`I didn't dismiss you, Assistant Captain,' Toshiro said.
 
She swung around to face him. `Why are you so grouchy? You're acting like a grumpy old man,' Matsumoto observed. Her face expressed concern, mixed with a flush of anger. She appeared to search Toshiro with her eyes, trying to find the reason for his behaviour.
 
Toshiro's eyes fell under that clear look. `I'm sick of paperwork,' he grumbled.
 
`You volunteered to take on the extra paperwork for 5th Division because Momo is unwell. I told you it was too much. You've also been helping the vice-Captains of Division 3 and Division 9. You should insist they do more of the work,' she said gently.
 
`Or you could help me more,' he continued grumbling.
 
`Captain. May I say something to you as a friend, not just as your Assistant Captain?' she asked, her eyes requesting his agreement.
 
Toshiro scratched his chin with his thumb, observing her. `Okay. As a friend,' he eventually agreed.
 
`I think you need a night off. It's a very good idea that you don't do any paperwork tomorrow. It's obviously taking up all your time. It's making you grumpy and not very pleasant company. I was pleased and surprised when you suggested going hang gliding, but you weren't serious. When was the last time you had any fun?' she asked.
 
Toshiro gaped at her. `Fun?'
 
`From that response, I would say it's a very long time since you had fun. I'm pretty sure you haven't relaxed since the ryoka came to Seireitei. That's not good for you, Captain. You need time to forget about the responsibilities and just live for the moment,' Matsumoto argued.
 
Toshiro frowned at her. `I'm not like you Matsumoto. I don't just live for pleasure. I take my responsibilities seriously,' he began. She should understand that it was only proper that he honour the position he held.
 
`You take your responsibilities too seriously. You hardly laugh at my jokes anymore. I'm beginning to think that you've lost your sense of humour,' Matsumoto suggested.
 
`I have not,' Toshiro replied with a touch of anger. He hadn't lost his sense of humour. He'd laughed at something only recently; if only he could remember what it was.
 
`A few weeks ago you would have laughed at that comment. Well, maybe not laughed but at least smiled. Now you're reacting like I've insulted you.'
 
`You did.'
 
`Of course I did. You should have insulted me in return, not lost your temper. Captain, come with me. We can snack it you don't feel like a big meal. I know just the place to go,' Matsumoto urged.
 
Toshiro considered her suggestion. He looked at the pile of paperwork and frowned in distaste. He didn't want to remain in his office. He'd hardly left it all day. When he thought about it, he hadn't eaten and his stomach was making frantic attempts to remind him of its empty state. It rumbled loudly. Toshiro tried to pretend it didn't happen.
 
`I think you are hungry, Captain, or you've eaten too much. I think your stomach is reminding you that you have not eaten today. Come, eat with me. You don't have to stay long,' she said persuasively. She tossed her hair back over her shoulders and looked coquettishly at her Captain.
 
`You know those looks don't work on me,' he said.
 
`You never know when you might become susceptible, Captain,' she smiled.
 
Toshiro rubbed his head. `Okay, I'll come eat with you, but none of that weird food you like. I'll choose what I eat and don't tell me what you are eating. I want to be able to finish my meal without feeling nauseous.'
 
Matsumoto made a little moue of displeasure at his comment. `You're being no fun, again.'
 
`Why do I have to be fun? What's all the emphasis on fun?' Toshiro asked grumpily.
 
`I like fun. It breaks the routine. I'm tired of all the dour looks, secret meetings, fear and distrust. It's like a miasma is hanging over Seireitei. You're too young to frown as much as you do. You should play more,' Matsumoto replied.
 
`Play? What happens if I don't have fun on this excursion of yours?'
 
`I promise you that you will have fun,' Matsumoto said.
 
A smiled passed across Toshiro's face. `I'll make a deal with you. If I have fun tonight, neither of us will do paperwork tomorrow. If I don't have fun, you'll do the paperwork tomorrow, and I'll do something else.'
 
Matsumoto arched her brows in a mini-frown. `You will have fun,' she insisted.
 
`If you are so sure, then accept the bargain,' Toshiro stated.
 
`What will you do tomorrow?' Matsumoto enquired.
 
Toshiro thought for a moment. He had trouble focusing on something he wanted to do, rather than something he felt he had to do. `I'll go for a walk, maybe do a bit of fishing. Read.'
 
`You're a wild man, Captain,' Matsumoto observed dryly. `Read? Walk? Fish? I think you've been sitting behind a desk far too long. Let's go before you make even more exciting plans.'
 
She left the room and Toshiro followed.
 
`I like different things to you,' he protested. `I enjoy them. Just because it doesn't involve drinking, shopping or flirting doesn't mean it's not fun.'
 
`I find other things fun,' Matsumoto said, obviously stung by Toshiro's comments.
 
`I don't want to know,' he said quickly, worried about the pleasures she might name.
 
`Captain, you always think the worst of me. I was thinking of gossiping with friends, and drinking hot chocolate and sleeping…,' she insisted.
 
`No more. Please, I don't want to know. I'll try to have fun tonight,' Toshiro said desperately.
 
`Maybe you should keep your mind out of the gutter, Captain.'
 
`My mind was not in the gutter. You just expect other people to be preoccupied with the things you enjoy. I'm not,' Toshiro said stiffly.
 
By this time they were walking toward an area of Seireitei that Toshiro did not normally visit. Full night had set in. The humidity remained, though some of the heat had gone with the setting of the sun. Toshiro wiped the perspiration off his face.
 
`Is it far?' he asked.
 
`Not too far. Just a little way further,' Matsumoto replied quickly. She increased her walking pace.
 
He saw the lights outside a building and stopped. Immediately he recognised the sort of fun Matsumoto had in mind. `I'm not going in,' he said after he read the sign.
 
`What's the problem?'
 
`I don't want to do this. It's not right for me. I have to think of my position,' Toshiro said sternly.
 
`Haven't you done this before?' Matsumoto asked the disbelief clear in her voice.
 
Toshiro flushed. `That's none of your business. I don't ask you personal questions.'
 
`Yes you do. I cannot see how you have a problem with this, Captain. I've seen many of the other Captains here. No one minds,' Matsumoto said.
 
Toshiro folded his arms and shook his head. `I'm not like the other Captains. I won't do this.'
 
`You don't have to take part. You can just watch,' Matsumoto suggested.
 
`That doesn't appeal to me either. I'm not a voyeur. I'd find it embarrassing to watch,' Toshiro said loudly.
 
`If you're not going to watch, then you should take part. Are you scared, Captain? I'll be with you. There's nothing to be worried about,' Matsumoto assured him.
 
`That thought makes it worse. I'm going home. We won't mention this again. I'll see you in my office tomorrow,' Toshiro said as he turned to walk away.
 
`I never thought my Captain was scared of anything. Just wait until I make the report to the next Shinigami Woman's Association meeting,' Matsumoto purred.
 
Toshiro spun around to face her. `You wouldn't!' he exclaimed.
 
She smiled at him with satisfaction. `Of course I wouldn't. Not on purpose. It might just slip out accidentally.'
 
Toshiro bit his thumb nail. What should he do? If he didn't go into the building, Matsumoto would tell everyone he was scared. If he did go into the building, other people would see him. They would know. He couldn't decide which outcome was worse.
 
As he stood there, torn and hesitating, he heard another shinigami approaching.
 
`Hey, Ran. Going in? Should be good tonight,' he heard Captain Kyoraku say. `Oh, sorry, Captain Hitsugaya. I didn't see you there. I haven't seen you here before. Are you coming in?'
 
Toshiro sighed. There really wasn't much choice.
 
`Yeah, I suppose,' he replied.
 
`Great. Let's play together. I didn't know you were interested in ten-pin bowling,' Captain Kyoraku said, holding the door open.
 
With a feeling of unease, Toshiro entered the building. `I'm not keen on the shoes,' he lied, remembering what he'd heard someone say about bowling.
 
Matsumoto insisted on helping him find his shoes and pick the right ball.
 
`We're lucky. Shunsui plays for fun. I'm not too keen when I'm matched with Captain Fon. She really plays to win,' Matsumoto commented quietly to Toshiro.
 
`We need a fourth player,' Captain Kyoraku decided. `Nanao didn't want to bowl today.'
 
`Don't ask Zaraki,' Matsumoto said quickly. `Remember what happened last time.'
 
`I thought we were supposed to be eating,' Toshiro complained.
 
`We usually bowl first and eat afterward. It won't take long. Maybe I'll ask Nemu. She's looking a little lost,' Captain Kyoraku decided.
 
He walked across and returned with the Assistant Captain of 12th Division.
 
`Are we ready? We have lane 7 today. Let's do this,' Matsumoto said after the exchange of greetings was completed.
 
Toshiro was a little uncomfortable. He had never bowled before, but did not want to admit his ignorance. It would be too embarrassing. Instead he elected to bowl last, so he could watch how the others played.
 
Matsumoto was good, managing to hit all the pins first time, Toshiro noticed. Nemu was nearly as good. The other Captain played it for laughs, not really caring how many pins he knocked down. When it came to his turn, Toshiro walked to the lane with his ball firmly grasped in his hands. Holding the ball, he swung his arm back, preparing to let go once it came forward, only to feel the ball slip off his fingers in the wrong direction.
 
Feeling his face go red, he turned around to see if he'd accidentally hit anyone. Fortunately the ball hadn't hurt anyone, but all the shinigami in the place were looking at him. Some were smiling; others were trying not to smile.
 
`It slipped,' he said, moving to retrieve the ball, which had rolled under a table. He had to crawl underneath and emerged even more embarrassed.
 
`Um, the alley is the other way,' Matsumoto said, obviously trying not to laugh.
 
`It slipped,' Toshiro repeated. Not concentrating very well, due to his embarrassment, he almost threw the ball at the pins. The ball bounced heavily, a few times before going down a gutter.
 
Toshiro closed his eyes. This was not going well. Why had he listened to Matsumoto? He walked back to the others his eyes on the floor. Retrieving his ball he tried again. This time he managed to knock over one pin.
 
`I'm not having fun. I could leave now,' he thought.
 
`You've never done this before, have you Captain Hitsugaya?' asked Captain Kyoraku.
 
`What makes you say that?' Toshiro demanded.
 
`Just a feeling I have.'
 
`Be nice, Shunsui. Nemu, could you help my Captain, please? He never listens to me,' Matsumoto requested.
 
`I never listen to you because your ideas are bad, like this one,' Toshiro said.
 
`It's alright, Captain. It's really quite easy,' Nemu said quietly. `You just have to focus. Visualise the pins falling.' She demonstrated.
 
Watching her closely, Toshiro began to see how it could be done. Maybe he would keep trying. He didn't want Matsumoto to know she was better at this than he was.
 
Half an hour later, the game was over.
 
`You learnt surprisingly quickly, Captain,' Matsumoto said.
 
`You beat me, Captain,' Captain Kyoraku said.
 
`But you never really try, Shunsui. You just play to amuse yourself,' Matsumoto said.
 
`Thank you for the game, but I must return to my division,' Nemu said.
 
`I hope to play with you again. Thanks for your help,' Toshiro said to Nemu, smiling.
 
`Captain, I think there's something wrong with your face. You seem to be smiling,' Matsumoto teased. `Does that mean you had fun?'
 
`No. I didn't enjoy this at all,' Toshiro said to her after carefully rearranging his features.
 
`There, Captain. I think you found your sense of humour again,' Matsumoto said loudly.
 
`Keep it down, will you?' Toshiro said. `Anyway, I'm hungry. I thought we were supposed to eat.'
 
After a few minutes of trading insults, the two Captains and Assistant Captain entered the dining area.
 
`I feel like some tempura,' Toshiro said.
 
`They don't sell tempura here,' Captain Kyoraku said.
 
`What about some yakatori?'
 
`No yakatori, either. This place only serves Western style food. You could have a hot dog,' Matsumoto suggested.
 
`Don't be disgusting. I don't eat dog. I didn't think Westerners did, either,' Toshiro said indignantly.
 
`It's not real dog, though I have no idea what's in it,' Matsumoto replied.
 
`Nor do I and I've never asked. Have some chips. You'll like those,' Captain Kyoraku said.
 
`I think he should try some chicken nuggets.'
 
`That sounds disgusting too. Is there any food that doesn't sound indecent?' Toshiro demanded.
 
`Sandwiches are out then, I'd say,' Captain Kyoraku said considering the matter.
 
`Captain, I have idea. You sit at the table and we'll order a few different things. You can try them to see if you like them and we'll wait until you've finished before we tell you what they're called,' Matsumoto suggested.
 
Toshiro looked at her suspiciously. Was she treating him like a child? He shrugged and went to sit down. He looked at the illuminated menu above the service area. The names of the food seemed very peculiar. Hopefully it was edible. The food smelt good and his stomach rumbled convincingly.
 
`What is gravy? I wish they just had something simple. A bowl of noodles with some onion and chicken would be nice,' he thought.
 
Matsumoto and Captain Kyoraku brought over a tray of food.
 
Toshiro looked at is disbelievingly. `Are you sure this is edible?' he asked.
 
Matsumoto pushed a packet containing long yellow things toward him and a drink. `Try these.'
 
Toshiro dubiously picked up one of the items she indicated and bit into it. It was pretty tasteless, except for the salt on the outside, but it was edible. He ate a few more, enjoying the crunchy texture.
 
`It's a bit like tempura, without the flavour,' he commented.
 
Captain Kyoraku pushed a plate in front of Toshiro. On it was a round pastry object. `Try this,' he urged.
 
Toshiro picked up the hot pastry and bit into it. The combination of meat and pastry was odd.
 
`You really should put some of this on it,' Matsumoto said as she poured some red sauce on the food.
 
Toshiro took another bite. The sauce made it nicer, but her preferred buns. He finished the pastry and ate some more of the yellow things. Meanwhile his companions were eating other items.
 
`Can I try some of that?' Toshiro asked pointing to what Matsumoto was eating. It was something inside some bread.
 
Matsumoto shrugged and cut off an end, putting it on his plate.
 
As Toshiro picked it up and bit into it, he realised that this was really weird. It had red and yellow sauce squirted on it with some onions and a sort of red sausage inside bread. He wasn't sure he liked it, but Matsumoto seemed to be enjoying it.
 
`You must try some of this,' said his fellow captain,' passing him a cylindrical brown object.
 
Toshiro looked at it distastefully. `I'm not sure about this,' he said as he bit through the outer casing. Inside was a sludgy mixture of cabbage and beef. `I don't like that very much. Do Westerners really eat this sort of stuff? It seems peculiar to me,' he commented, finishing the yellow things and leaving the other food alone. At least he wasn't so hungry anymore.
 
`They don't eat this sort of food all the time. Are you still hungry, Captain?' Matsumoto asked.
 
`A little. Why, is there something else for me to try? Something sweet?' Toshiro asked hopefully.
 
A cake was placed in front of him. He ate it quickly. It was the best part of the meal.
 
He sipped the drink. It was cold and sweet. After the humidity and the salty yellow things, it was very welcome. As he drank, he watched the other two talking as they ate. Matsumoto seemed happy.
 
`Do you want to know what you ate?' Matsumoto said, observing his gaze.
 
`Yes. Why not?' Toshiro said.
 
`The yellow things are chips, made out of potato. The pastry was a meat pie. You also ate some of my hot dog and you hated the spring roll' Matsumoto explained.
 
Toshiro made a face. `I didn't like the hot dog very much, either,' he said. `The cake was good.'
 
`So, Captain. Did you have fun?' asked Captain Kyoraku.
 
`Yes,' Toshiro replied without thinking.
 
`That gets you out of the paperwork tomorrow, Ran,' the other Captain said.
 
She smiled. `It doesn't matter. I'm just pleased to see you smile again, Captain,' she said to Toshio.
 
`In that case you can do the paperwork, tomorrow,' Toshiro said quickly.
 
`Not likely, Captain. I'm sleeping in and shopping tomorrow. You agreed if you had fun tonight, I could have the day off,' Matsumoto responded.
 
`The day off paperwork, not work,' Toshiro objected.
 
`Same thing to me,' Matsumoto almost sang.
 
Toshiro stood shaking his head. I'll see you in a days' time in the office. You will help me with the paperwork. Thank you for your company tonight, Captain.'
 
`I think you should call me Shunsui after this, don't you,' the elder Captain said smiling.
 
`Only it you call me Toshiro. You, Matsumoto will continue to call me Captain,' Toshiro said.
 
`Of course, Captain,' Matsumoto replied demurely.
 
Toshiro walked out of the bowling alley. `That was fun,' he thought. `And tomorrow: a day without paperwork. Maybe I'll have a workout, get the kinks out of my back and shoulders,' he thought as he wandered home.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
Author's note:
 
Thank you to the people who have read and reviewed. I hope you enjoyed this story.
 
Please review.