Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ The winds of change ❯ Unexpected ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ichigo looked up as he heard his name being called. Surprised, he sees a very tall, blue haired man who is holding a black umbrella, standing in front of him. The black cat that had been lying on his side turned to face the man as well, it's eyes big and curious.

"Jaegerjaques?" The man grins lazily.

"What's up?" Ichigo felt confused, what an earth did this guy want? Grimmjow Jaegerjaques had been one of his classmates in high school, but two of them hadn't got along too well. Actually, the two of them hadn't got along, period. Ichigo couldn't even remember what it was that had started the hostility between them in the first place, but he and Jeagerjaques fought many times over various reasons. However every time they had been interrupted and they never actually finished any of their fights. Some may have thought this as a good thing, but not Grimmjow.

Flashback:

The roof of Karakura high school had a moment ago been quite peaceful place to have lunch, only high raise of volume being Asano Keigo's occasional blabbering. This how ever ended when at some point of time when a certain orange and a teal haired boy had got into an argument that was about to go physical. The two groups of friends were wearily listening for their very long lasting argument, nobody remembered what it actually was that had started it in the first place. Least the two involved.

"You know Kurosaki, everyone is entitled to be stupid, but you abuse the privilege!"

"Oh yeah!? Well Earth is full Jaegerjaques! Go back home!"

"Please, any similarity between you and a human is purely coincidental!"

"Well if I stand close enough to you, I can hear the ocean!"

"Your brain-...!"

End flashback

"Umm... What exactly do you want?" Ichigo asked, feeling slightly awkward as he stood up. Jaegerjaques was quiet for a while as he stood there, then stepped closer to Ichigo and shared his umbrella with him. Ichigo felt his confusion increase with Jaegerjaques's unexpected thoughtfullness.

"Look, Kurosaki, I know we weren't on good terms back in high school. But look I don't wanna fight with you this time, I just want to talk." Jaegerjaques said.

"Okay...? About what?" Ichigo couldn't come up with anything that Jaegerjaques could possibly want to talk to him about. Specially if it did not involve fighting, and it really did sound like he didn't want to fight.

"I know about that accident that you were in over three years ago, and, well, how you got in acoma and all that..."

"You do?" Ichigo was surprised that Jaegerjaques knew about that, and even more by the fact that he cared about that.

"Yeah, and I know that you were hit by a car when you pushed Nell out of the way." he said it all with a serious tone, the cat on the ground stood up, pushed itself against Ichigo's leg once more and left.

"You know Nell?" Maybe he isn't such an ass after all.

"Yeah, she is my niece."

"Oh. Well..."

"That was really... What I mean is that I want to thank you for what you did back then. Nell is alive because of you and... I owe you a lot because of that." Ichigo's expression softened slightly.

"Yeah, well I would do it again."

Grimmjow nodded.

"Say Nell hi for me." with that Ichigo turned to leave, the weight in his chest suddenly lightened. The teal haired man watched his retreating form a moment, before he tucked away his umbrella and left as well.

--

Ichigo was feeling rather worried as he watched the large furniture lifted by two girls move somewhat shakily

"Are you really sure don't need any help with that couch? It is pretty heavy..."

"Nonsense! Are you suggesting that this is beyond our abilities?! A task like that is nothing for us!" Rukia shouted as she and Inoue wobbled with the couch.

"But...-!"

"Leave it Ichigo unless you want to have your ass kicked by her." Renji whispered as he, Ishida, Keigo, and Chad were helping Ichigo with rest of his furniture. Ichigo grunted but let out a little smile and muttered 'fine'.

It had been a week since he had met Jaegerjaques in the park. Ichigo had finally found and rented an apartment. It was farther away from downtown than Renji's apartment. His friends had insisted on helping Ichigo move. Rukia and Inoue had gone out of their way to buy Ichigo stuff for his apartment, to make it 'cozy and homey' they had said. He could tell that they were really trying to make him feel at home, and he appreciated their efforts, even if he felt a bit guilty over bothering them with this. He was shaken out of his thoughts by Rukias yell.

"Ichigo where do you want this thing?!" Ichigo watched as the two girls arms started to shake and tried to think quickly.

"Over there is fine!"

"What!? Are you kidding! Any sensible human would put the bookshelf here!"

"Alright then, that corner!"

"You fool, it would practically block the entrance there!"

"Next to that wall then!"

"Then where would the coffee table go!?" The others calmly resumed unpacking Ichigo's stuff as this was the normal way of communicating between the two.

"Fine where do you want to put it?!" Ichigo yelled exasperated.

"Hmm, well..."

"Umm... Kuchiki-san, it's getting a little heavy..." Inoue carefully pointed out, as the couch was about to fall from their hands.

"Ah sorry Inoue! Over here is good!" Rukia answered confidently

"Then why didn't you put it in there in the first place!?"

"Shut up idiot! You should have figured it out immediately." Rukia replyd coolly as she and Inoue finally lowered the couch to the floor and dusted off her clothes invisible dust.

"She is right Kurosaki. Obviously there is no other convenient place in this apartment. Your furnishing skills are rather pathetic." Ishida said arrogantly while he was hanging curtains.

"Shut up!"

Ishida suddenly froze, his hands on curtains stilling. Everyone turned to look at him, even Chad fixed his solemn stare on him.

"Umm... Is something wrong Ishida?" Keigo then bravely asked as Ishidas eyes narrowed.

"A tear!" he then yelled and drew his sewing set from his pocket, and in a flash the needle pierced through the curtain multiple times, sewing the tear, and Ishida finished with his classic sewing pose, his glasses glinting.

"Oh, Ishida-kun, that was so amazing! I couldn't even detect the needles movements! I will mention this in our next sewing club meeting!" Inoue exclaimed.

Sewing club meeting? I don’t think I want to know, Ichigo thought wisely.

"So you still do that stuff." Ichigo said as Ishida's sewing set disappeared back in his pocket.

"My designs have improved even to more astonishing levels. I am pondering of starting my own brand, 'Quincy desing'."

"That's great Ishida-kun!" With this followed a detailed discussion of laces and ribbons between the two. Ichigo, having no want to partake in that conversation, resumed unpacking his stuff. He grabbed a random box and opened it. He organized through the stuff and then found something that didn't belong to him. He picked Renji's hair tie that had probably dropped in the box from somewhere in Renji's apartment. Ichigo chuckled quietly, that place was full of those. Suddenly he felt a bit cold as he looked the hair tie.

"Oy Renji." Renji turned as he called his name from the other side of the room where others were trying to figure out how to arrange cords for Ichigo's computer.

"What is it?" Ichigo tossed him his hair tie.

"That's yours." he said and quickly went back to going through the box

--

"Thanks guys, I appreciate you helping me." Ichigo told hi group of friends.

They had finished with Ichigo's new apartment, and Inoue insisted on preparing them all dinner in honour of the event. Ichigo had tried to politely refuse, remembering Inoue's hideous lunches from back when they were college. To his surprise, Inoue's cooking skills had improved greatly since then. Ichigo wondered how that had happened. Now they were all preparing to head home.

"It wasn't any trouble Kurosaki-kun!" Inoue said, Chad nodded in agreement. Ishida pushed his glasses up.

"Yeah, so we will see you in Friday Ichigo in the beach! Call me if you miss me in the mean time!" Keigo yelled joyfully and Ichigo rolled his eyes.

"And I will bring you then that Chappy the Bunny plushie I forgot today!" Rukia promised. Rukia had been obsessed over Chappy themed items ever since she was twelve, and was determind for Ichigo to have the bunny plushie for his new home

"You really don't need to do that Rukia." Ichigo tried, willing out the image of a gigantic Chappy the Bunny sitting on his coffee table, or book shelf or where ever Rukia thought it would be most visible.

"Don't be silly! See you!" Ichigo waved them as they made to leave when Renji spoke up.

"You guys go ahead, I wanna to talk to Ichigo for a bit. They stopped for a moment, then Ishida walked on and rest followed (minus Keigo who just stood there until Rukia dragged him off by ear). Ichigo looked at Renji questioningly.

"What doyou wanna talk about?"

Renji looked at him for a moment

"You know that we will be here for you,Ichigo?" he said softly. Ichigo swallowed and looked away from Renji, out the window without really seeing it.

"I know." he said quietly. Renji sighed and looked out as well.

"It's probably still weird for you... Confusing to have three years of your life gone by. But you aren't alone, just remember that, okay? I want you to understand that you can still talk to me about absolutely anything." he turned his look back on Ichigo who looked him from the corner of his eye. Ichigo smiled faintly.

"Yeah..." a small silence followed before Renji talked again.

"Yuo are always welcome back if you need place to stay. I know you think you are a burden to us Ichigo, but that's not true. You never will. I hope you won't shut me out Ichigo, but if that's what you need, then I will be ready for that too." Ichigo shook his head.

"No Renji, I don't want that... I still want to see you, even with things different now. It just... It just will take some time." Renji touched his shoulder and smiled lightly.

"I understand that."

Ichigo nodded.

"I should get going. We'll see Friday then."

"Yeah. See you."

--

The following afternoon found Ichigo flipping lazily through a magazine. Earlier that day he had got himself a job as a waiter in nearby restaurant. Ichigo planned on applying to a medical school, as it had been his intention years back when he along with his friends had graduated. It felt weird to think it was years ago, when it felt more like weeks ...

In any case, he needed a job to support himself, and he was determinant to not rely on his friends any further than he already had. The pay wasn't great, but he could hardly expect it to be.

Lately he had been going through a lot of magazines to try to get himself up to date with the current happenings in the world. It felt a bit weird, but his ignorance bothered him.

Just then his cellphone rang. He tossed the magazine aside and picked up the ringing object.

"Hello?"

"Hey Ichigo! How are you doing!? Is your new home nice!? Can I come to visit you, mom said that I could go, I bought you a gift for your new home, oh and Rukia thought that it was really cool!" It took a moment for Ichigo to register all the very fast flown speach from the phone.

"Yeah, sure, Nell. You didn't need to get me anything-"

"I did too! Okay, I'll be there in a minute!"

"What, wait Ne-" Ichigo tried to speak but the girl had already hang up. Ichigo sighed in defeat. How does she know the address? Well she probably spoke to Rukia... Oh I hope that Rukia didn't take her shopping, he thought.

Back when Ichigo first saw Nell in the hospital the girl had been near hysterical with tears in her eyes, and she had kept telling him that she was sorry for the accident. It had taken a lot of calming down before Ichigo could tell her she shouldn't blame herself, and it wasn't her fault. It was Rukia who had cheered up the little girl with a Chappy the Bunny pencil. Later Ichigo learned that Rukia had started occasionally to babysit Nell, and that Rukia had managed to spread her love of Chappy, as now Nell was almost as obsessed with that damn rabbit.

Ten minuets later (Ichigo realized that Nell must have already left when she called him) his door bell rang. When he opened the door he was met by a grinning Nell holding a Chappy the bunny plushie and instead of Nell's mother or father who he had expected, there was someone else.

"Huh? What are you doing here?" Ichigo asked smartly.

"Nell called Itsygo, he said that Nell could come!" Nell answered appalled. Nell usually by now used proper grammar, but she sometimes slipped when she was upset.

"She didn't mean you Nell." Grimmjow easily replied.

"Oh, yeah, sorry Nell. Come in." Nell stepped inside eagerly and began inspecting her surroundings curiously. Grimmjow followed leisurely, apparently not disturbed at all by Ichigo's glare. Ichigo closed the door and followed the two to the living room. Grimmjow turned to smirk at him.

"Nice place Kurosaki."

"Thanks. Seriously though, why are you here?"

Grimmjow grinned lazily.

"Wha, you make it almost sound that you don't want me here." Ichigo rolled his eyes. "Well I offered to take this little brat here-" he ruffled Nell's green hair and the girl giggled " - since she was so eager to come, right Nell?"

"Right! Here Ichigo, I bought this myself for you for your new home! Isn't it awesome! Rukia said it was, she took me to this really cool shop that was filled with Chappy plushies, Chappy T-shirts, Chappy pen's, Chappy action figures, Chappy- Oh and Uncle Grimmy said that you would definitely like it!" Ichigo's eye twitched as he briefly glimpsed smug looking Grimmjow. Nell handed him the cursed stuffed toy expectantly.

"Thank you Nell it's really... Pink."

Nell smiled happily.

"Yeah!"

"You should put it somewhere on proper display Kurosaki."

"That's right!" Nell agreed enthusiasticly and clapped her hands.

"How about the coffee table?!" Grimmjow nodded aprovingly.

"That's a great idea Nell, isn't it Kurosaki?" Ichigo badly wished to punch that blue haired bastard.

"Sure." he said as he placed the rabbit on the table. The rabbit had huge, happy smile on it's face. Ichigo was sure it was mocking him. Damn Rukia, this is all your fault! He then looked at the smug Grimmjow, Okay, scratch that, it's your fault too!

--------------------------

A short while later the three had left Ichigo's Chappy infested apartment after Nell had insisted for ice cream. Currently they were in a cafe where Nell was pondering over what sunday she should get.

"So what do you want to have Nell?" Grimmjow asked

"Ichigo, what are you going to take?" Nell asked turning to Ichigo

"I think I am just gonna take a soda, I don't really feel like getting any ice cream."

"Okay, then I will take a soda too!" Nell then proclaimed. Ichigo blinked.

"But didn't you want ice cream?" The girl shook her head.

"No I want to have a soda!" the girls said proudly.

"It's ’cause your her idol." Grimmjow said grinning.

"I am?"

"Of course, I want to be just like you when I grow up! You are a hero!" Nell praised.

"Well I wouldn't sa-" he began, when a voice interrupted him.

"A hero?" Ichigo turned his gaze and saw a man who had a dark skin tone was wearing clothes that were remarkably the same style his late father used to wore. Mening outrageously colorful and flashy outfit, completed with round sun glasses. Ichigo looked at him wide eyed. Nell watched him in awe, while Grimmjow looked indifferent. The man's odd hat shaded his eyes as he spoke.

"I am sorry for interrupting you babies, but allow me to introduce myself..." They all waited for him to continue. The man threw his head up. "I am Don Kanonji, the charismatic master of journalism, at your service babies!" he yelled out using a foreign accent and raising his hand that was holding a pen high up in air, startling them all. Nell giggled and clapped her hands. Ichigo and Grimmjow watched him with blank eyes. Other people in caffe had turned to stare at the man.

"Now, little girl" he turned to Nell "Why is this boy over here..." he gestured towards the more and more annoyed Ichigo "a hero?" No, oh no, please don't tell that freak Ichigo silently prayed in his mind. To no avail.

"Well it started when-..."

-----------------------

By the time Nell finished telling about Ichigo's heroicness, the man was looking down silently. Nell approached him.

"Kanonji-san?"

"Yes!" the man suddenly yelled

"Boy!" he turned to look at Ichigo. "This a golden chance! The whole world shall hear of your braveness! You and I will make a great team my friend! Bohahahahaa!" he laughed while grabbing his shoulders and then looked around, "Where-?" he then spotted Ichigo, who was running out of the caffee while dragging a wide eyed Nell and annoyed looking Grimmjow after him.

"Boooy!" he yelled and started after him "Waaait! Come back!"

---------------------------

As they turned around a corner a couple of blocks later, Ichigo deemed it safe to stop.

"I think we lost him." he carefully looked back where they came from. No lunatics in sight. He hoped. "That guy must have forgotten to take his medication." Just then a cellphone started ringing. Grimmjow picked the phone.

"Hey sis." Nell's head snapped up and she looked at Grimmjow with puppy dog eyes. "Yeah, I know I said that, but-" Grimmjow was silent for a moment "Well yeah, but common-" another silence "Okay, okay! We are coming." Nell looked defeated.

"Sorry Nell, your mom wants you home." Grimmjow said as he put away his phone.

"Alright." Nell sighed dramaticly. Grimmjow turned to Ichigo.

"See you, Kurosaki." he then left with Nell who waved enthusiasticly "Bye Ichigo!" Ichigo raised his hand. He was a bit surprised by Grimmjow's words. Oh well.

---------------------------

Later that night Ichigo was laying on couch (that was apparently in the only place it could be in the apartment), and flipping throught the channels. He then stopped as he recognized a movie that was playing. Renji's favorite movie! I never understood what he saw in this thing, the plot's so odd! he chuckled at the thought. I wonder if he is watching this now?

He probably watched it on that old worn blue couch they used to make out on. Ichigo had a lot of fond memories of that couch.

He probably watched it on that old worn blue couch where Kira was probably curled against him...

Suddenly he didn't feel like watching the movie and changed the channel. He couldn't focus however and turned off the thing, he looked around him in the somehow empty, foreign apartment. His home. It was quiet... Maybe he should call Rukia, there never was quiet when she was around. Though she was probably spending time with her brother. She wouldn't mind, she had told him to call anytime. But... He didn't want to bother her.

He stood up and left the apartment to go for a walk. He needed to get out for a while.

Ichigo wondered down the streets aimlessly, as he sill didn't know the surroundings. He passed the cafe that earlier had been filled with people when he, Nell and Grimmjow had encountered Don Kanonji. I owe Nell an ice cream, he thought smiling lightly. His phone started ringing. Unknown number? Maybe it's wrong number.

"Hello?"

"Hey Kurosaki, are you home right now?"

"Jaegejques? I am not home right now, but-"

"But you are gonna be soon?" Ichigo was slightly annoyed at being interrupted, then reminded himself that it Jaegerjaques he was dealing with, what else should he really expect, and why did he want to know if he was home or not seriously. . . Ichigo sighed defeated

"I guess I am"

"Good, I forgot my jacket at your place earlier, so be there in fifteen minutes."

"Now wait just a minute, you really need that jacket right this sec-" he heard the phone being shut. That asshole hung up! And giving me orders like that, sheesh... Ichigo turned around and started walking hastily back so he would be home when that god forsaken blue bastard came.

-----------------------------------

Ichigo sat on the couch impatiantly, and looked at the clock expectantly. He should be here any minute now. He waited thirty seconds more before he looked again. Probably just made me hurry here for nothing. I wish he would come so I could get this over with. Another minute. Maybe he is not coming at all. Good thing if he isn't, it's not like I want that badmouthed freak or his jacket here in anycase. He then realized that he needed to do something else than just wait and bore himself to death on the couch. He sat up staighter and looked around for something.

And couldn't think of anything to do.

He murderously looked at the poor clock again subconcioussly as he sat back down. Just to move his gaze anywhere else his eyes moved to Chappy the Bunny plushie. Goddammit!

Then he heard his doorbell ring and he jumped up.

-------------------------------------

"What are you doing tonight?" Grimmjow asked as he pulled on his jacket with his hand on the door handle. Ichigo opened his mouth and quickly tried to come up with something so he wouldn't seem like a total loser.

"I thought so. Come on, me and the guys are going to this new club not too far away, Nakeem is driving." Ichigo gaped.

"I am not gonna leave for some club-"

"Ah, yeah, I knew you were a pussy who can't hold his alcohol." Grimmjow said confidently. Ichigo bristled.

"As much as it is none of your business, I can 'hold my alcohol', and I-"

"You’re all bark and no bite Kurosaki."

"Do you always interrupt people like this? Because let me tell you, you are annoying the hell out of me!"

"You're obviously mistaken me for somebody who gives a damn. Now let's go." With that he opened the door and looked Ichigo expectantly.

Ichigo looked at Grimmjow. He then looked around.

"So what's the name of that club?" he asked as he followed Grimmjow.












< br>