Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ The winds of change ❯ It' a name! ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Bring!

Ichigo rose from the chair where he had been sitting for the past few minutes, waiting for Rukia to arrive. At the sound of the doorbell his new cat lifted his head and looked at the door with wide eyes as his tail twitched slowly. Ichigo smiled faintly and petted the cats’ head once, who in turn immediately leaned heavily against Ichigo's hand. Ichigo then went for the door before Rukia got impatient and would start ringing the doorbell continuously (this is something that they both were known to do in the past).

"Hey Ichigo." Rukia greeted him as Ichigo let her inside the apartment. "I was thinking... " Rukia's sentence faded away and she momentarily froze. Before Ichigo had time to ask her what was wrong, Rukia turned to him with shimmering eyes clutching the bag she was carrying tightly against her chest.

"Ichigo, you got a cat! He is so adorable! Why hadn't you told me?"

"Oh, yeah. I have only had him for a couple of days so..." Rukia set down the bag and approached the cat carefully, the cat was gazing her intently and looked a bit wary.

"Aww, it's okay kitty." Rukia cooed slowly as she petted the black fur. Ichigo scratched the cat behind his ear, and the cat seemed to decide it was now safe to relax, and started leaning against Rukia's hand.

"What's his name?" Rukia asked eagerly.

"Odie ." Ichigo answered and looked a bit proud of the cat as it started purring. Rukia looked at him oddly.

"Isn't that a dog's name?" Ichigo frowned.

"It’s a name. Why can’t it be a cat’s name?"

"Because Odie is a dog. Why didn't you name him Garfield?"

"Why on earth would I name him Garfield? I like the name Odie." In truth Ichigo had wanted to have a dog since he was a little boy, but he hadn't been able to get one since his father had been allergic. He had even planned what name he would give it. Later on, when he and Renji had lived together the landlord hadn't allowed pets.

Rukia looked at the cat and nodded.

"Anyway, where did you get him? Was he an alley cat? He is really thin, I can feel his ribs."

"Yeah, he was. But I figured that he must have had an owner at some point since he likes people." Rukia looked at him appreciatively.

"You gave him home!" Ichigo nodded a bit self-consciously, Rukia turned back to the cat. "Aw, you poor little thing, it must have been horrible, being homeless and all." Rukia started blabbering using a voice similar to mothers when talking their babies. This always had puzzled Ichigo, why would girls talked like that to animals.

He then decided that he probably wouldn't understand.

"So, you said you had trouble with your computer?" The day before Rukia had called Ichigo and said that she had problems with her computer. In the past Ichigo and Renji had often helped Rukia with her computer, as she constantly had problems with it. However it was Renji who knew a lot more about computers than Ichigo, so Ichigo had been a bit surprised that Rukia asked him to take a look at it.

Rukia left the cat with a slightly longing look in her eyes and went to get her laptop from the bag she had left on the floor.

"Hmm. I don't know if I accidentally downloaded a virus or something since the computer started sending these nonsense messages, and then I tried to fix, but it didn't work, and then it went to a point where it won't even turn on any more!" Rukia explained and eyed the computer hatefully.

"Okay, let's see. I am not really up to date but, hmm..." Ichigo said as he sat on the couch and turned on the computer. Rukia sat on the floor next to him and watched as he started pressing various buttons and reading the computer screen that was total gibberish to her. She got bored and contemplated if she should go pet Odie when she noticed something delightful on the coffee table.

"Oh, isn't that the Chappy plushie Nell bought for you!? You put it in a really good spot." Ichigo didn’t lift his gaze from the computer screen but his brows furrowed and he mumbled something.

"What?"

"I said that it wasn't my idea! Jaegerjaques thought it would be real funny to just put it there and then Nell was all excited, and now the stupid bun... The bunny is there 'cause I don't wanna upset Nell if she comes over and she can't find it." Ichigo’s voice could almost be described as whiny. Rukia had to laugh when she saw how annoyed Ichigo looked like. Ichigo looked at her with a menacing expression on his face.

"Do you want me to fix this computer?" Rukia waved her hand in front of her and stifled a laugh.

"Yeah, sorry, sorry." Ichigo started reading the computer screen once more and mumbled quietly. "It will leave after it's been there long enough..."

"But when was Jaegerjaques here?" Rukia suddenly asked. She among others had been surprised when Ichigo had told her that he had gone to a club with him of all people. After all, the two had never been friends in high school.

”He brought Nell here once, she wanted to see where I lived.” Ichigo answered, not really focusing. Rukia then needed to ask. She looked in his eyes and tried to go on about this carefully.

”Ichigo is there really nothing going on with you two? I mean you said it wasn’t like that, but you know that if there is… something, you know that it’s okay, don’t you?” she asked softly. Ichigo didn’t move a muscle and replied in a very even voice.

”It’s not like that.” Rukia nodded.

”I see.” It was quiet for a moment until Ichigo finished with the computer.

”There. It should work properly now.” Rukia took the computer.

”Thanks.”

”You should get a better antivirus program though. I didn’t download anything since I have no idea what’s currently most efficient right now. Renji could probably tell you. I am pretty surprised that you didn’t ask him to fix that in the first place. He has always been good with that stuff…” Ichigo finished with a faint smile. Rukia smiled a bit sadly for a moment.

”I guess so. But didn’t it occur to you that I missed hanging out with you?” Did she just say that? Ichigo thought, his eyes wide. She wasn’t usually one to say sentimental things. Despite that it made Ichigo feel a bit baffled, it somehow felt so good to hear those words.

Ichigo cleared his throat, and ushered Rukia to the door.

”Yeah, yeah, off you go Rukia, I need leave for work in about ten minutes, see you!” Rukia chuckled.

”Yeah, see you dummy!”


Later that week Ichigo checked his fridge’s contents and came to one conclusion: it was time for him to do some grocery shopping. Only thing he had in his fridge was an open can of cat food and a bottle of ketchup. Since when have I become this lazy!? Why don’t I ever have anything left in the fridge!? He cursed in his mind as he angrily scribbled down a shopping list. He really didn’t feel like going anywhere after the draining day of work he had had, but he saw no choice in the matter.

Twenty minutes later he was about to finish shopping when he realized he had almost forgotten that he was out of shampoo. As he went and grabbed the first shampoo bottle he could find, he was suddenly startled by a yell . . .

“Kurosaki Ichigo, put that bottle of shampoo back into the shelf!” Ichigo turned and rolled his eyes.

“Sheesh Keigo, keep it down, will you? People are watching us.” Keigo walked over to him and snatched the shampoo form Ichigo’s grasp.

“Really Ichigo, I would not make my worst enemy use this shampoo! You have no idea the number of split ends this causes for your hair. Saying you are worth this would be an insult!” Keigo lectured and eyed the bottle hatefully as he put it back on its place and snatched a different bottle.

“Now this is what you want! This smells nice and gives your hair a nice shine that ladies looove.” Keigo instructed with enthusiasm. Ichigo raised his eyebrows.

“Oh yeah. Well I am sure guys will too. I am sure Jaegerjaques will-“

“Keigo we are still not dating.” Ichigo said exasperated. Keigo pouted and sighed dramatically.

“Fine, fine. I am just saying. You should come by to my hairdressing saloon some time; I could give you a special discount! Your hair needs to be cut, look how it’s sticking from the back. Ooh, maybe you would like some high lights? Something-“

“Thank you Keigo, but I am fine.” Ichigo said and took the shampoo Keigo so loved. He started heading for the cashier.

As they stepped out of the supermarket, Keigo turned to Ichigo once more.

“You really should come by some time Ichigo. You know that Ishida and Inoue-san come regularly.” he said proudly. Ichigo nodded.

“Yeah, I think about it.” Keigo then cleared his throat and looked a bit nervous.

“You know there is this one friend of mine that comes often too. He is in medical school, and he has this really gorgeous black hair, completely natural too. He is really tall too. I just thought if you would maybe wanna go out with him? I think you might really like him.” Keigo stopped as he saw Ichigo’s suddenly very stiff profile. “But it’s fine if you don’t feel like it! I mean, it’s completely understandable and all! But I just thought, if you, you know, just wanted to…” Keigo explained quickly. Ichigo swallowed.

“It’s fine, but I… I’m not interested right now. I have so many things going on right now.” Ichigo slowly explained and watched the cars heading past them on the road. Keigo nodded.

“I get it. You tell me if you change your mind, I know a lot of guys who would be really into you!” Keigo said and waved his hand. “See you around.”

“Yeah, see you.” Ichigo replied, and they parted in different directions. Ichigo looked ahead of him without really seeing anything, and unconsciously squeezed the bag he was carrying.



Later that night Ichigo lie in his bed, unable to sleep. As he gazed the ceiling he slowly petted the cat sleeping next to him. The cat was purring quietly, obviously feeling content and peaceful.

So different from himself, it felt like something cold and heavy was pressing against him, the air itself felt suffocating.

How can they… How can they just think that it would be right, that it would be natural? It could never be like that again, never be like it was with him. Ichigo’s hand ceased its movement on the cat’s soft fur.

Renji… Do you still write messages on the bathroom’s mirror when it’s steamy, so that it always looks messy with fingerprints all over it? Or lose your keys all the time, and end up finding them from the fridge or some other crazy place? I hope you don’t break your sunglasses so often anymore, I know how much pay for those things. I don’t see you that much anymore, and even when I do, I feel I can’t reach you like before. I guess it’s just because I don’t know how to act around you anymore. Is it okay for me to want to hear your voice close to me, or to feel so warm when you smile at me? It feels confusing, but as long as you’re happy I can deal with that feeling. And I know you are happy, your eyes have that same sparkle they have always had. I can see it when you look at me, Rukia or Kira. I hope that you never lose it. You have so much spirit and so much determination; you always take challenges so seriously. That’s just some of the things I love about you. I wonder if you ever miss me the way I miss you?

Ichigo closed his eyes and without realizing it, pulled the cat closer to him and resumed petting it, seeking comfort from other living being’s closeness.

It won’t be like it was with you… Nobody else will make me quite like you did, I know that. But still… Is it because they think that I am lonely that Rukia and Keigo want me to meet someone? I suppose they are right. I don’t want that, I don’t want to feel like that, but I also know it’s not that fucking simple!

I know you don’t want me to feel that way either. I don’t what I should do.


The following Friday Ichigo went to a club he and Renji had often visited in the past, Night Life. He went alone, with a simple purpose in his mind. He met a guy called Muguruma Kensei. He had a somewhat serious personality, but it wasn’t something that Ichigo minded. He was quite good looking; he had pale hair and several piercing that Ichigo thought, looked pretty hot. He had number 69 tattooed on his stomach.

Ichigo had had his doubts about doing it. It was something he had only ever done with Renji. But he really didn’t feel lonely that night, just as he had thought he wouldn’t. It was something they had both wanted and by the end of it they simply stated that it was fun and thanks.

It was different.


What are you doing tonight? Ichigo read the message and recognized the number. Jaegerjaques again? I wonder if he wants to go some bar. Hmm, how should I answer so that I wouldn’t seem like I don’t have anything to do tonight, but I am not too busy? Ichigo pondered. Though his behavior the last time he went out with Grimmjow and others had not been too dignified, he couldn’t deny that it had been fun. Especially after Jaegerjaques had finally been almost as drunk as Ichigo had been and the night had gone by fast.

He however never got the chance to write a reply before his cell phone beeped once again, signaling the arrival of yet another message.

Okay, so we will be there by nine. Ichigo bristled. He hadn’t even sent an answer yet! For all that idiot knew, he might not even read the message, and could no way anticipate the arrival of his obnoxious, vain and arrogant presence appearing on his doorstep by nine. Who the fuck does that idiot think he is! Quickly Ichigo dialed his number.

Hey Kurosaki, what’s up?” came Grimmjow’s laid-back voice.

“Listen Doorknob, did it ever occur to you that I didn’t tell you that I was coming?! You just immediately assume like, ‘oh sure he is coming, why bother waiting for him to send an actual answer?’ It’s not like I have a life or anything, just-!” he could never finish his complaint as Grimmjow spoke over him with that same careless tone of his.

“Yeah, but you’re coming aren’t you?”

“Well… well yeah, but that’s not the point-“ he tried lamely

“Okay, cool, I’ll see you then Kurosaki.” Damn him! Ichigo could only curse in his mind as he stepped for his wardrobe looking for something to wear.


“Yo, Kurosaki,” Grimmjow greeted as he stepped into his apartment like he owned the place, closely followed by Ilforte and Nakeem.

“Hey brother, nice place.” Nakeem passed silently.

“Hey. Please come in.” Ichigo muttered as the three made their way inside. Grimmjow unceremoniously marched to the fridge.

“You got anything to drink in here Kurosaki?” he asked as he opened the fridge. Ichigo raised his eyebrows.

“Please do make your self at home Jaegerjaques.” Grimmjow completely unfazed, he continued grumpily “I have a couple of beers.” Ichigo and offered them first for Ilforte and then for Nakeem, who didn’t want any since he was once again driving, before handing one for Grimmjow. The man simply smirked as he took it.

“I thought we were supposed to be going.” Ichigo said as he took one beer for himself.

“Yeah, well it’s not like we are in any hurry. I am not even sure if Studio 51 evens opens up before 10 o’clock…” Grimmjow answered.

“I don’t think it does.” Ilforte added helpfully

“It doesn’t.” Nakeem said with a solemn expression. Ichigo felt he could pull his hair out of frustration.

Just then two yellow eyes peered from under sofa, as Odie hesitantly inspected the three men that had arrived. Ichigo wondered whether the cat was too nervous to come out. Grimmjow blinked surprised.

“A cat? You didn’t have that the last time?”

“Oh, well I haven’t had him for long.”

“Really? What do you call him?” Ilforte asked as he eyed the creature who still looked uncertain if it should abandon the safety of it’s hiding spot in order to inspect the strangers.

“Odie.” the blond eyed him surprised.

“Isn’t that a dog’s name?”

“It’s a name!”

Nakeem simply watched them nonchalantly. Ichigo then noticed Grimmjow approaching the animal.

“Jaegerjaques I don’t know if he let’s anybody approach him with this many people…here?” Ichigo looked wide-eyed as Grimmjow went to scratch the cat behind his ear with the cat perfectly relaxed.

“Huh? How did that happen?” Grimmjow shrugged carelessly.

“Cats like me. You know he kinda looks like that one cat from the park…” He remembers that? Ichigo thought that Jaegerjaques wouldn’t take much notice to something like that. I guess I was wrong, I have more to learn about him.

Ichigo nodded.

“I thought that too,” he said as Odie pushed against Grimmjow’s palm, making Ichigo smile lightly.


“Say Ichigo” Ilfortee slurred only little as he leaned toward Ichigo and looked at him eyes that were only slightly unfocused “What do you do?” Ichigo eyed him suspiciously.

“I am not doing anything!” he defended himself with a highly offended tone. The blond haired man wasn’t fazed.

“No I mean what you do! For living and stuff.”

“Oh! I work in a restaurant! You know, to get money. Eventually I am gonna go to medical school! I always wanted to go there. In medical school. Not in restaurant. Except as a kid.” Ilforte nodded looking vaquely impressed.

“In a restaurant, huh?” Grimmjow, who wasn’t quite as far gone as two others, joined the conversation. Ichigo nodded importantly.

“Uhhuh. What do you do, Jeaugurjuqaes?” Ichigo asked, remembering to emphasize the correct syllable. Grimmjow shrugged

“I was studying architecture in University, but I am taking some time off. “ Ichigo was about to ask more about that, but then Nakeem arrived bringing shots, though sadly he himself was only drinking orange juice.

“Hmm, I wonder how many you last this time Kurosaki?” Grimmjow asked as he grinned widely at Ichigo.

“Think you can handle the tequila better now, Kurosaki?” Ichigo huffed noisily and drowned one of the drinks.

“Hah, watch me!” Ilforte laughed.

“Ooh boy, here we go again!”


One day as Ichigo had headed to work he had been in for surprise when he ran into Grimmjow. He had wondered what the man was doing there and Grimmjow simply answered that Ichigo had told him they were looking for a new employee. This didn’t quite still explain things for Ichigo.

“Yeah, I said that, but I mean, I didn’t even know you were looking for a job!”

“I told you I took some time off of that shit. I just want to work for a while. I need the money anyway, I got a little expensive when there was this incident with the pipes, and the repairs were fucking expensive.

“Really? But-“

“Gotta run, our boss is calling me. See ya.”

This resulted that the two started spending quite a lot of time together. Every weekend Ichigo left with Grimmjow and others to ‘get wasted’, and spending time with the group became quickly more and more natural.

Ichigo had come to enjoy Grimmjow’s company, something that he wouldn’t have believed in high school. Somehow with him he didn’t ponder on things that he mulled over too much anyway.

He didn’t know exactly why he felt so at ease with him, but he was grateful for his company all the same.

“Oi Ichigo.” Grimmjow called him one day as their shift at the restaurant ended.

“What is it Grimmjow?” Ichigo turned to him and saw the man looking at the busy street out of a window.

“Isn’t that your boyfriend?” Ichigo’s froze, seeing the easily distinguishable bright red hair of Renji’s among the crowd. He was talking on his cell phone as he passed the restaurant, Ichigo’s eyes following him until he disappeared from his line of sight. He then realized how he had spaced out and quickly turned back to Grimmjow who looked a bit taken aback by his reaction. He cleared his throat and shifted his gaze.
“Oh, we’re not dating anymore.” he answered trying to sound casual, but not quite succeeding.

“Oh. Mmm okay. Sorry.” Grimmjow replied uncertainly. Ichigo tried to keep his composure.

“No, it’s okay, it’s not like that or anything! We are still friends and all, and you know...” Grimmjow just eyed him a bit uncertainly.

“Okay.” he then mercifully changed the subject. Ichigo felt relieved that he didn’t ask anything more about it.

Ichigo hadn’t even realized Grimmjow remembered that he and Renji had dated. It wasn’t any surprise that he knew about it though, since it’s hadn’t been any secret in their high school.

Luckily back then they had got a bare minimum of trouble over it since not that many had wanted to get into fight with neither of them as they both a had a bad reputation. Of course they had never completely avoided it, but it could have been a lot worse. When they had gotten together it had been quite a shock for many people, but their friends had come to accept and support their relationship, which he had been a huge relief for both of them. Their support was something that Ichigo was more grateful for than he could tell.

There had also been rumors about Grimmjow back then, so it hadn’t been surprise for Ichigo when he had learned that Grimmjow preferred guys, as did Ilforte. He had realized it trough some casual comments the two had made while they had been drinking, and it was obvious from the lack of reaction from rest of the group that they hadn’t made any secret about it. That was something Ichigo could relate to and respect.

“By the way Grimmjow, why were you late today?” Ichigo then asked, the other man had come to work twenty minutes late that day.

“I forgot to put my alarm clock on.” Grimmjow answered with a shrug. Ichigo somehow got the feeling he wasn’t maybe telling the truth, but didn’t press the matter.

“Okay. Well I guess I see you tomorrow then.” Grimmjow nodded.

“I’ll see you.” Ichigo watched as he walked away still wondering about his late arrival. Well it’s really not my business, I guess.




He had just come home from work when Rukia had called him and asked him to join her and Inoue while they went what she called ‘wardrobe shopping’. Before he had had a chance to refuse she had announced that they would be there in an hour. This left Ichigo wondering why the hell people never seemed to care much for his agreement lately.

And so he found himself ‘wardrobe shopping’, that had actually meant that they were in search of wardrobe.

“Oh how about this Kuchiki-san? Look it has enough room for shoes too, when you pull this open! The mirror is nice too.”

“Hmm, that’s true Inoue, but I am not sure about the color. And it is a bit more expensive than the one that more shelves.”

“Good point. Well we should keep looking, right Kurosaki-kun?” No! No more wardrobes! That must have been the 60th rejected wardrobe! By this point I don’t care if Rukia keeps her clothes in the refrigerator, this is insane, the wardrobe she’s looking for doesn’t exist on this solar system, it’s not-

“Come along Ichigo!” he was shaken from his inner wailing of despair and he saw the girls ahead of him. With a deep, deep sigh he followed, mentally preparing himself for another sixty wardrobes, waiting to be inspected and rejected like the previous ones.

However after only twenty wardrobes more he saw a ray of hope when Rukia spoke up

“I don’t know if we are going to find a wardrobe today, we must have been to every furniture selling store in this side of the town.” Inoue nodded. Yes, yes! Ichigo chanted

“Maybe we should continue some other day.” Inoue said and took out her calendar. That’s right! Ichigo could now almost taste victory. The girls then settled for a date, Ichigo got ready to head home when the world came crashing down.

“Now that we’re here, we shop for something else right? I really need new pair of jeans and I saw this cute dress in that shop the other day…” Rukia started and Ichigo knew he was doomed. No! Why, oh why did they drag me with them! Oh no, not that girly shop, gah!

Much later the girls finally got tired of circling the shops and decided to just drink a cup of coffee and head home for Ichigo’s utter relief. Where he realized the reason for the girl’s insistence on bringing him with them.

They had sat there maybe ten minutes when Inoue carefully brought it up.

“Kurosaki-kun… Is there maybe something that we might have done to upset you?” she asked while her and Rukia looked in his eyes intently. Ichigo was speechless.

“What? Why would you think so? The shopping wasn’t that bad, I am sorry if I gave you the impression…” Rukia shook her head.

“No it’s not that. We just wondered because nowadays you spend so much time with Jaegerjaques and others… You aren’t avoiding us, are you?” Oh. So that’s what this is about Ichigo realized. Now that he thought about it…

He never went to any clubs with Rukia and others. Whenever he had left with Grimmjow, he somehow hadn’t thought about it. The more he thought about it, the more it did seem like he had been avoiding them, specially seeing how much time he used to spend with them.

“It’s not like that at all, I haven’t been avoiding you consciously. I guess I just… You haven’t definitely done anything wrong, and we should hang out more.” The girls looked thoughtful, before Inoue smiled brightly.

“Well, I am glad it’s not anything like that then! Remember that you can always tell us if we did do something wrong!”

“Yeah, I promise.” Rukia looked at him a moment longer and then she too smiled.

“We should get going it’s getting late.” Ichigo and Ioue agreed and so they set off. Later as they said goodbye to Inoue Rukia asked Ichigo one more question.

Ichigo, do you feel uncomfortable when we are all together? Because of Renji and Kira… If you do, Inoue and I understand you know.” Ichigo looked ahead as he thought how to voice his thoughts. It was something he had thought about in the café and even before that.

“I can’t say it’s something I am comfortable with. But it’s not something I want to make an issue of. I don’t want that to come between us, I still want all fu us to hang out together. We all were friends even long before Renji and I… You know, so I don’t want that to be something that would make us drift apart. I still want us all to be friends Rukia.” Rukia smiled wistfully.

“I am happy you feel that way Ichigo. It… Back then when Renji and Kira got together it, it wasn’t easy for any of us, Renji least of all I am sure. Tell you the truth I am feeling a bit relieved you feel that way, I know it must be odd.”

“Yeah.” Ichigo didn’t really know what else to say. Rukia then perked up a little.

“By the way, wanna hear something interesting?” Ichigo quirked his eyebrow.

“What is it?”

“A little birdie told me that Sado asked Inoue out!”

“What? No way!”