Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Revelation ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Revelation
 
Zaraki walked quickly, followed by Ayasegawa. He did not feel like talking. There had been far too much talk recently. His ears almost hurt from the number of words they had been forced to hear from Atonomatsuri.
 
It felt good to walk in the fresh air, with a real sky above. Of course, Zaraki would not admit that to anyone. Why should anyone know his inner thoughts? That would give them too much power.
 
He knew that his earlier confession to Retsu had given her power over him, but he did not believe she would ever use it. He didn't trust her exactly. Trust and Zaraki had trouble recognising each other. Probably he felt her sense of honour would prevent her from using any information. She took her position seriously.
 
The one creature who knew some of his inner thoughts couldn't tell anyone else. If he thought about it, Atonomatsuri did not always get everything right. She was often wrong. That thought pleased Zaraki. “I hate infallible creatures, or infallible anything,” he thought as they approached his office.
 
Zaraki heard voices squabbling within the office. He gestured to Ayasegawa to approach quietly. They looked through the door. Yachiru was sitting on top of the desk playing with a necklace she had made from paperclips.
 
“Just give me one?” Madarame was begging her. “I just want to get this cabinet open. I'll give it back as soon as I finish. I'll buy you some sweets.”
 
“But I like my necklace. I don't want to give you a paperclip from it. Anyway, that's Ken-chan's cabinet. He doesn't like it when you open it without permission. What sort of sweets?” Yachiru asked swinging the necklace in front of Madarame.
 
“Preserved plums. He won't know,” Madarame said.
 
“I don't like preserved plums. And he will know 'cause I'll tell him. That's where he keeps his special sake. He doesn't like it when he finds it gone,” Yachiru scolded.
 
“I'll get you some Pocky. As for the sake, I'll replace it, I promise,” Madarame said.
 
“Like the other times you've replaced the sake? And I don't like Pocky,” boomed Zaraki.
 
Startled, Madarame swung around. He looked slightly foolish when he saw Zaraki standing at the door with Ayasegawa.
 
“Oh, Captain. Pleased to see you well again. Really pleased to see you back here. Yes, I'm very pleased,” said Madarame, perspiring a little.
 
“And I'll be pleased if you leave my sake alone. Don't you have something better to do? Have you been drilling the new recruits? They need a lot of work. I was disgusted by their abilities when I went down to exercise yesterday. Weaklings the lot of them,” Zaraki commented harshly.
 
“I was planning on drilling them later,” Madarame began.
 
“Now! You assist him, Yachiru. Make sure that they sweat. Work them till they heave. Don't let up until they have the basics. I don't care how long it takes. Do you understand? This is 11th Division, not a place for the weak or worthless. They wanted to join this division, show them what it means,” Zaraki ordered. “I'll be down later to see how they are shaping up. Don't fail me, or I'll attend to your training, personally.”
 
“But Ken-chan I wanted to talk to you,” Yachiru began.
 
“Later. I've got to visit the Captain-General to report on events,” Zaraki said, determined to make up for his earlier apology and weakness. No one would think Zaraki was weak.
 
“Foolish, foolish Kenny,” Atonomatsuri said in his mind. “To see what is right and not to do it is to want courage. It was right to apologise to Yachiru. You're just suffering from that fall from pride.”
 
Zaraki ignored her voice. It was easier than thinking about replying and he didn't want to be seen talking to an invisible creature again.
 
Yachiru and Madarame reluctantly left to follow Zaraki's instructions. Ayasegawa hesitated briefly and followed the other two.
 
Zaraki checked his appearance briefly and noticed that his hair was in disarray; no bells, no spikes. He was temporarily annoyed that people had seen him this way. Too bad. He'd make certain that he appeared as normal in future.
 
It took some time to get his hair to its normal state and he had to locate his spare set of bells. From the look of them someone had been playing with them. No matter, he needed to get some more. Then he replaced the eye patch. He glared at his reflection as if challenging it to show some signs of the internal changes. He looked normal, except for the wounds he'd received from Atonomatsuri. When he got dressed at 4th Division he'd removed the bandages. He didn't want to appear injured. Anyway, what were a few wounds?
 
He walked quickly to see the Captain-General. How could he explain? Damn, he hated being accountable. He wouldn't tell the whole truth. He'd have to construct a half lie of some kind.
 
“Truth will out, Kenny. Tell him the truth. He might find it amusing. Then the truth will spread through all the 13 squads. Kenpachi Zaraki was talking to his zanpaku-to trying to learn its name, but it attacked and poisoned him. Imagine, the nearly unbeatable Zaraki, beaten by his own zanpaku-to,” Atonomatsuri gloated. “I can just imagine the looks you will receive. Not everyone will be as understanding as Retsu. Tell the truth and shame the devil, Kenny. It's the honourable thing to do.”
 
Zaraki stopped walking, sickened by the revelation. Blast the pestilential creature! She was right. Even a partial truth could be harmful. He looked around. Only a few more streets before he was at headquarters. He went into a nearby bar and sat down. Instead of ordering the sake he wanted, he ordered tea. He needed a clear head. The bar man gave him a strange look, then realised who had asked for tea. He went without asking any questions.
 
Atonomatsuri was shouting in the back if his mind, exhorting him to tell the truth.
 
“A lie begets a lie till they come to generations. Credit won by lying is quick in dying,” were some of the adages she used to urge him to truth.
 
Zaraki growled softly and then noticed the tea being placed in front of him. He changed the growl to a grunt of acknowledgement and the bar man hurried away.
 
Zaraki poured some tea and sipped it.
 
“I can't tell the truth and even the partial truth would be too revealing. I can't lie either, otherwise Seireitei will be in an uproar looking for the people who attacked me. This is hard,” Zaraki poured a fresh cup of tea. “I wish I could talk to someone about it. Did I even think that? Must be the influence of that thrice damned vulture. Stuff this. I'll answer the questions as close to the truth as I can. He can't force me to answer. But I don't want to lie to the old man. “
 
Angry at his thoughts, Zaraki got to his feet, slammed some money on the table and abruptly left. The bar man watched him, curious as to why Kenpachi Zaraki was drinking tea in a bar.
 
Zaraki strode to the Captain-Generals office and was immediately admitted.
 
“Captain Zaraki? Good. Now maybe you can explain matters to me. Who attacked you?” Yamamoto asked as soon as Zaraki opened the door.
 
“My assailant is no threat to anyone,” Zaraki replied as he walked into the room and stood before the desk.
 
“That's not an answer, Zaraki. Are you trying to protect someone?”
 
“No,” Zaraki replied.
 
“Returning to the monosyllabic answers? When you do that, you know I'll keep asking. It's a delaying technique you use often,” the Captain General observed. “Who attacked you?”
 
“I don't want to answer that.”
 
“Once more, Zaraki. Who attacked you?”
 
“No comment,” Zaraki was becoming increasingly uncomfortable.
 
The Captain General leant back in his chair and observed Zaraki with eyes brightened with interest.
 
“Three refusals to answer a direct question put by a superior officer. Either you want to spend some time in a cell thinking about your answer; you have been sworn to secrecy, or it spoils your self image. Which is it, Zaraki,” the Captain General watched Zaraki closely.
 
Zaraki stayed stubbornly silent.
 
“Monosyllabic, no comment and now silence. Hoping I'll challenge you for insubordination and become distracted? I'm too fascinated now to let this go. Give me an answer in the next minute, or I will place you in a cell. I mean to get my answer no matter how long it takes.”
 
“Sir, I would prefer not to answer the question,” Zaraki said thickly.
 
“Sir? Becoming very formal aren't we Captain? Starting to lose your temper? I insist on an answer. Look at it from my position. The Captain of 11th Division is found beaten, poisoned and unconscious in a building he entered only a few minutes before. No one was seen leaving the building. The 11th Division examined the building after their captain was removed and the building collapses,” he held up his hand as if to prevent an interruption. “Your vice-captain explained why the building collapsed. That is not the point. You were attacked and now you refuse to tell me who attacked you. I'd almost feel inclined to accuse your vice-captain and third seat of the crime, except I know that is a ludicrous idea.”
 
He paused, studying Zaraki's reaction.
 
Zaraki had started to sweat. He was going to have to tell the truth. It was bad enough one person knew his secret. This would make two. The comment Atonomatsuri had made about secrets came back to him. Three people would know and all of them would be alive.
 
“Captain General, I request that the information I am about to provide is kept strictly confidential,” Zaraki said in a low voice.
 
“I won't agree to that. If it is important, I will have to let the other captains know.”
 
“Then I'm afraid you'll have to put me in that cell,” Zaraki said, noticing the astonishment spread across his superior's face.
 
“You're not serious, Zaraki? You can't be serious! As your superior officer I have the right to know. Don't you care about the shame for your Division if I put you in a cell?”
 
“Don't care. Shame is nothing, and I am serious. I won't tell you unless you agree to complete confidentiality,” Zaraki said forcefully.
 
“Then I will carry out my threat. I do not like insubordination in my Captains.”
 
“Tell him Kenny. I think it would be amusing. Remember a trouble shared is a trouble halved,” said Atonomatsuri snidely in his mind
 
Zaraki shook his head trying to ignore the voice.
 
Yamamoto looked at him curiously. “Very well. Come with me.”
 
Zaraki followed the Captain General to the cell. There was no point objecting, he had consciously made this choice.
 
His zanpaku-to was removed and a guard was placed outside the door.
 
“I will allow no visitors, Captain,” Yamamoto said coolly. “I will return in a few hours to see if you have changed your mind”
 
“I won't” Zaraki replied, shutting his eyes as Yamamoto left.
 
“Are you sure you're not using this as an excuse to delay summoning me?” Atonomatsuri enquired. “When ignorance and arrogance marry, the devil is the matchmaker. You should have told the Captain General the truth, Kenny. I'm sure he would understand. I mean, he has achieved bankai.”
 
Zaraki groaned at the return of her voice.
 
“You're the cause of this mess. Leave me alone. I have to think,” Zaraki mumbled.
 
“Now there's a turn-up for the books. Kenny admitting he has to think,” Atonomatsuri sniggered. “Think quickly and well, Kenny. Maybe I can help. Let me see. How about: An obstinate man does not hold opinions; they hold him. Does that help?”
 
“Shut your festering beak and leave me alone,” Zaraki replied quietly.
 
Maybe it was all a delaying technique. He wasn't consciously delaying his summoning of the bird; he was too humiliated to admit to the truth. If he admitted that he was working toward bankai, would that break the strength of 11th Division?
 
It has surprised him that Yamamoto had enforced his threat, but that was one of the qualities Zaraki admired. Idle threats were pointless. However, it put Zaraki in the position of either remaining a prisoner, or admitting the truth.
 
“The truth will make you free,” chided Atonomatsuri.
 
Zaraki ignored her.
 
“You really didn't think this through, did you Kenny. People will notice if you achieve bankai and use it. Did you expect everyone to close their eyes and not notice? Or politely look away? Or were you planning to try to distract them when you call on the power? How could you do that I wonder? Hire a circus? Bring on a troupe of Noh actors? Or say “Look over there, quick,” when you bankai? Not an option if you're in a battle. Bankai is not something you can hide unless you never use it, and then what's the point of getting there? It's not a restrained thing. Or are you, the great Kenpachi Zaraki, scared of what people might think? Our worst misfortunes never happen, and most miseries lie in anticipation,” Atonomatsuri said, barely taking a breath.
 
Zaraki growled. It was true. Showing the new form of his zanpaku-to would be noticed, even if he managed to control the size of the blade. Why hadn't he thought of this earlier? He may as well just tell the truth and wait the months it would take for the sly jokes to cease. Not that he cared. He didn't care what people thought. It was unimportant. No one would be stupid enough to say anything to his face, unless they had a death wish. What was most important was every Shinigami needed to be at full strength to cope with the latest threat. He could change the direction of 11th Division, not only to be the strongest in using brute force, but to be the strongest by using their zanpaku-to's powers to defeat an opponent. He thought that might work. Strength was everything.
 
Briefly, Zaraki considered kido. He wouldn't use it. He would think about the use of kido in his Division later. It was going to be problematic. He wanted to talk to Madarame, Ayasegawa and Yachiru about this. They might have some ideas. He stopped himself. What the hell was he thinking? Asking the opinion of others? Damn that for a joke. He made the decisions. He was the captain. If anyone questioned him, they would face him and Atonomatsuri in her new form. It would be good practice.
 
“You know if you had told the Captain-General the truth in the first place we wouldn't be here. I don't understand you, Kenny. You're so stubborn; always sure you're right. Why don't you think things through before you act? Oh, sorry I used that word think again. Small men think they are small; great men never know they are great,” Atonomatsuri said with a great amount of sarcasm.
 
“Shut it beak face. I could say the same about you. You're always sure you're right and you go on about it. You're not always right and you're stubborn. I don't care about being in here. It's quiet at least, except for your yapping. If you were quiet, I could sleep. Last night was rather busy. Stupid Kurotsuchi! Thinking I'd be weak enough for him to overpower me. It might be funny if I let him try to get any answers out of you. I give him five minutes before he's a gibbering heap,” Zaraki ruminated.
 
“Life is a circus. You can choose to be the ringmaster, not the clown. I think we agree which Kurotsuchi has decided to be,” Atonomatsuri said.
 
Zaraki thought about what she said and was amused at his realization.
 
“Atonomatsuri, did you just use an adage against someone else, not me? What's gotten into you, fetid vulture? Are you becoming soft in the head or something?” Zaraki asked.
 
Atonomatsuri gave an embarrassed cough. “I don't like the clown captain. If he got his hands on me, he'd try to kill me painfully. I've heard people talk about him. So have you, you just ignore the conversations. You heard him threaten me.”
 
“He wouldn't have a chance against you. You have gone soft in the head. Must be that bug in your brain. It almost sounds like you prefer me to him,” Zaraki observed dryly.
 
“How long before the Captain-General comes back?” asked Atonomatsuri.
 
“Changing the subject again? I take it that you do prefer me. Don't worry, I won't let the flattery go to my head,” Zaraki laughed. “We both hate him. That's one thing we agree on.”
 
“It is the duty of the zanpaku-to to prefer its owner to other Shinigami,” said Atonomatsuri sulkily.
 
“Damn that for a lie, bird. I don't recall you saying that before. All I got was how much you hate me and you wish you had a different owner. I remember our conversations too. How often do you tell the truth? Probably as often as you change your mind,” Zaraki said pleased to have the upper hand.
 
“Truth is relative,” suggested Atonomatsuri.
 
“Stupid adage. Means nothing. If truth is relative, then nothing is true unless you know all the facts. It is not possible to know all the facts unless you know everything. Therefore no one can discover the truth because no one knows all the facts. Your truth may be different to my truth. I've heard the arguments over truth and I think they're all crap. You lie, you get found out and then come up with some friggin' adage to try to hide what you really mean,” Zaraki stated flatly.
 
Atonomatsuri was quiet and did not respond to this observation.
 
Zaraki stared at the wall, thinking about change. Even he had to change. Seireitei had changed. Some people seemed impervious to the changes, doing what they always had. Zaraki had been one of them. He wasn't going to say he liked change, or even thought it was good. Just had to make sure the change did not make him less of a warrior. He needed to maintain his fighting skills, not just rely on any added strength from Atonomatsuri.
 
“If I lend you any strength,” Atonomatsuri sniped in his mind. “Borrowed strength is a false basis for power.”
 
“Talking again are you? Hoping I'd forgotten about your lies? Forget it. If you keep lying to me how do you expect me to trust you?” Zaraki asked in an interrogatory manner.
 
Atonomatsuri refused to answer.
 
Zaraki returned to his thoughts. He really had to summon the bird. She had hinted at powers, many powers. He knew about the poison but had difficulty in understanding how that could be used. The barb was in her tongue and she could use it but how could it be on the zanpaku-to? How could he make the blade smaller so that he could actually use it? If the blade was smaller would it look less ugly? Was there any way he could disguise the pink?
 
He'd summon Atonomatsuri privately first; see if he could gain some control over the blade and an understanding of her powers. If he mumbled the secondary release word, no one would know what it was. He knew other Shinigami yelled their release words, but that was only when they were interesting. Maybe he could say something like “yawning abyss” when summoning her.
 
Zaraki realized what he was thinking. “Do I care? Why am I concerned by one bloody word? Why did I even worry about it in the first place? Must have been the effect of the poison. Wonder what other side effects the stuff has. I promised to get a sample for Retsu. I'll do that when I summon the bird, if she will cooperate.”
 
“I'll give you the poison for Retsu,” Atonomatsuri said. “She's got sense. More sense than you, Kenny. She doesn't try to hide who she is. She doesn't try to hide her face. A false face hides an evil mind.”
 
“In hell's name, make up your mind. Are you saying I have an evil mind?”
 
“Not you, Kenny. I said a false face, emphasis on false.”
 
“Another adage used against Kurotsuchi. He must have really ruffled your feathers,” Zaraki riposted.
 
Atonomatsuri groaned. “No more bad attempts at humour, Kenny. They don't become you.”
 
Zaraki became alert. He heard the sound of approaching footsteps. Maybe the Captain-General was returning.
 
Climbing to his feet, Zaraki stood calmly waiting. There was no reason to resist anymore. He would explain everything.
 
Yamamoto entered and walked up to the bars and observed Zaraki critically.
 
“Have you decided to provide the answers to my questions?”
 
“I will tell you all, but not here,” Zaraki replied.
 
A look of satisfaction spread across Yamamoto's features.
 
After being released from the cell Zaraki followed Yamamoto back to his office. Seating himself behind the desk, Yamamoto motioned Zaraki to take a seat.
 
Zaraki seated himself and waited.
 
“So Captain, are you prepared now to tell me who attacked and poisoned you?”
 
“I would request that this does not become general knowledge,” Zaraki asked.
 
“And I have already told you that I cannot guarantee that. Are we at impasse again, Captain? Do I have to take you back to the cell?” Yamamoto asked impatiently.
 
“No,” Zaraki paused and swallowed. He frowned before he provided the rest of the information. “My attacker is no threat to any other person. My attacker was the manifestation of my zanpaku-to.”
 
Yamamoto looked piercingly at Zaraki. “Good story, Zaraki. Who are you trying to shield?”
 
“It is the truth.”
 
Yamamoto leant forward. Zaraki was feeling distinctly uncomfortable under the observation.
 
“You don't release your zanpaku-to, Zaraki, it isn't sealed. You've never tried to achieve bankai. I find this very hard to believe. Why the sudden change?”
 
Zaraki groaned inwardly and shifted uncomfortably in his chair. More explanations he didn't feel like giving.
 
“When the ryoka came, I was defeated by that kid, Ichigo. He said he managed to defeat me with the help of his zanpaku-to. Now we expect problems from the traitors, I decided I should try to be as strong as possible. I don't think it's possible to improve my reiatsu or physical prowess and I'm not interested in kido. I resolved to use my zanpaku-to. It took a long time to find out her name,” Zaraki answered slowly.
 
There was silence in the room. Zaraki looked out the window. Yamamoto looked at his desk, then at Zaraki.
 
“You learnt the name of your zanpaku-to. Then what happened?” Yamamoto prompted, tired of waiting for Zaraki to continue.
 
“I summoned her. We fought,” Zaraki answered gruffly.
 
“Who won?” asked Yamamoto curiously.
 
Zaraki thought about the answer he should give.
 
“I won, Kenny! To the victor the spoils. Tell him I won. It's the truth,” Atonomatsuri commanded.
 
“I did, but my zanpaku-to doesn't agree,” Zaraki temporised. His forehead felt damp.
 
“I won!” Atonomatsuri shrieked in Zaraki's mind.
 
Yamamoto was holding a hand over his mouth. Zaraki had a suspicion it was to hide a smile. He waited for a response from the Captain-General.
 
“Captain Zaraki. I must admit I find this difficult to believe. We've never had a Shinigami receive the wounds you have simply from summoning the physical manifestation of their zanpaku-to. Not even when trying to achieve bankai. Did you achieve bankai?”
 
Zaraki shook his head and then rubbed his temples.
 
“What form does the physical manifestation take?”
 
“A vulture,” Zaraki answered unwilling to provide further details.
 
“More information, please. You're making this hard, Captain.”
 
Zaraki glared at the Captain-General. His temper was beginning to rise. He half rose from his chair, then thought better of it and resumed his seat.
 
“A pink and black decomposing vulture, Sir. She hates me. I don't like her. She speaks in adages most of the time. She took me into my mind which is how the wounds were inflicted, apparently. Is that enough information?” he asked tersely.
 
“Bad idea, Kenny. He'll put us back in the cell. Who seeks a quarrel, finds it near at hand,” Atonomatsuri chided.
 
“What are the powers? Come on man,” Yamamoto asked curtly.
 
“I don't know yet. We were too busy fighting and arguing,” Zaraki found himself admitting.
 
Yamamoto's face twitched. It appeared as if he was trying to control his reaction.
 
“I'm sure there is more but I won't ask for further information, today. At first I was not inclined to believe you. Your reluctance to tell me and your increasing aggression and agitation persuades me that you are telling the truth. What is your zanpaku-to's name?” Yamamoto asked.
 
“Atonomatsuri.”
 
Yamamoto smirked. “Atonomatsuri? Too late?”
 
“Yes,” hissed Zaraki.
 
Yamamoto controlled his features after some effort. “Thank you for the report, Captain. You may leave now. I will probably summon you within the next few days to obtain further information.”
 
Rising to his feet, Zaraki knew that this news would not be kept confidential. His division would probably hear of it before he arrived back in his office. There was nothing he could do unless he killed the Captain-General. For a brief moment, Zaraki entertained the idea, and then dismissed it as unworthy.
 
“You've made your bed, now you must lie in it,” Atonomatsuri informed Zaraki.
 
He flinched as he walked to the door.
 
“Truth will out,” Atonomatsuri crowed.
 
Zaraki shook his head as he opened the door. If he walked very fast, maybe he could get back to his office and get out the sake before meeting anyone. He needed a drink.
 
 
Author's Note:
 
Chapter 13? I hope it's not unlucky.
 
Next chapter Zaraki will summon Atonomatsuri. (I hope. With those two anything could happen.)
 
Review please.
 
MS