Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Interruption to the Dance ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters, except for Atonomatsuri who is my creation.
 
 
Interruption to the Dance
 
Ignoring the many comments made by Atonomatsuri, Zaraki walked toward his office by the fastest route. As usual it was much quicker without Yachiru telling him which direction to take. Sometimes he wondered if she misdirected him for fun. It was possible as she did have a rather peculiar idea of what was humorous.
 
Nearing his office, he noticed that the sun was low on the horizon. He had spent most of the day in a cell. Remembering his instructions of the morning, Zaraki decided that he would check the training ground. No one would have heard the truth about his injuries, unless Yamamoto sent out a Hell's Butterfly. Zaraki dismissed that idea. The information wasn't worth that type of attention.
 
It might provide a diversion to watch how the new recruits were working out under the combined direction of Madarame and Yachiru. He was pretty sure that Ayasegawa would be helping, or at least watching. Maybe he should tell them about Atonomatsuri before they heard it from another source.
 
Changing direction he neared the training ground. As he came closer he could hear Madarame rapping out instructions and insults and Yachiru giggling. Wondering if any new nicknames had been created, Zaraki entered the training ground and stood in the shadows, merely to observe. The recruits were armed with wooden swords at this point. One recruit was on his knees, panting and struggling to stay upright. The rest were still standing, sweat darkening their uniforms as they tried to keep up with Madarame's orders.
 
“The Captain was right,” Madarame yelled. “You disgusted him yesterday, you disgust me today. After a few hours training you all look like you're going to black out. You, whatever your name is, get off your knees and keep training. If you can't take a little mild exercise, why the hell are you even here? This is 11th Division. Not a place where you can rely on kido to solve your problems. Change partners and continue sparring. I want to see more movement, more feints and attacks. Put some effort into it.”
 
Wearily, the recruits tried to follow his orders. Leaning on his wooden sword, the recruit on his knees levered himself into a standing position. His new partner took one swipe at him and he collapsed to the ground.
 
“Stop,” commanded Madarame. “Yumichika, check if he's dead, or just pretending. The rest of you have five minutes and then you'll start again.”
 
Ayasegawa approached the prone body. He prodded it with his toe. No response. Leaning down, he slapped the recruit and only elicited a groan.
 
“He's not dead. He's lazy,” Ayasegawa announced.
 
“He's not lazy, he's tired,” the recruit's partner stated, panting hard.
 
Ayasegawa looked at him and raised an eyebrow delicately. “Are you contradicting me?” he asked with dangerous politeness.
 
“No. I'm just saying he's tired,” the recruit replied.
 
Zaraki grinned. Too many recruits misread Ayasegawa's appearance and assumed that he was weak. Zaraki looked at Madarame who was smiling broadly at the stupidity of the recruit. This should be diverting.
 
“I think you are contradicting me,” Ayasegawa said. “I am not in the habit of allowing people to contradict me. It irritates me. You have irritated me.”
 
Madarame drew close to Ayasegawa as did Yachiru.
 
“Do you know who I am?” Ayasegawa asked.
 
The recruit shrugged.
 
“I am the 5th seat in 11th Division.”
 
“So? It's only the 5th seat. I plan to be 3rd seat,” the recruit blustered.
 
Madarame and Ayasegawa exchanged glances.
 
“No, Ikkaku. He's mine,” Ayasegawa said. Returning his attention to the recruit he ordered, “Tell me your name, so I know the name of the person I kill today.”
 
The recruit looked a little less sure of himself.
 
“You're a fool,” Yachiru said. “You've got Pretty Boy annoyed and he's the 5th seat in a Division that loves to fight. Oooh. I have the perfect name for you. Too bad I won't be able to use it for long.”
 
“So, what's the nickname?” Madarame asked.
 
“Piecrust, `cause he's going to get broken,” Yachiru replied.
 
Madarame shook his head. “What's that mean?”
 
“It's an adage, silly. You know the things that Ken-chan hates. Promises like piecrusts are meant to be broken. I wonder how many pieces Pretty Boy will break him into,” Yachiru pondered.
 
In the shadows, Zaraki shuddered. Was he cursed with adages? Atonomatsuri was chortling in his mind.
 
“She used an adage, Kenny,” she crowed. “Good words are like a string of pearls.”
 
Zaraki ignored her.
 
“Get your zanpaku-to,” Ayasegawa ordered “Piecrust, “and tell me your name quickly or I will think of you only as Piecrust.”
 
The recruit stood there unsure what to do.
 
“Obey your superior officer. Tell him your name and get your zanpaku-to, now,” Madarame said harshly.
 
“My name is Yuki Hisutanga,” `Piecrust' said and reluctantly went to the wall where his zanpaku-to rested.
 
“Don't kill him,” Madarame said quietly to Ayasegawa.
 
Ayasegawa smiled maliciously. “Why, do you want a chance to kill him? He is after your seat.”
 
“You can kill him, if you want,” Zaraki said emerging from the shadows.
 
“Captain! How long have you been there?” Ayasegawa asked.
 
“Long enough. Get that other weakling back to the Academy. He's out of 11th Division,” Zaraki said indicating the prone form of the other recruit. “I don't want to hear any excuses. You pass out in a real fight and you're dead. Maybe the Captain of the 12th Division needs a new experimental subject. Or maybe he can make himself useful in 4th. You and you, carry him,” Zaraki said picking two recruits at random.
 
Without hesitation the two recruits grabbed their fallen comrade and rushed out of the training ground.
 
Yuki now made his way back carrying his zanpaku-to uncertainly.
 
“Make a fighting square,” Madarame ordered the other recruits.
 
The recruits shuffled into a semblance of a fighting square. Zaraki raised an eyebrow. These people were hopeless.
 
Ayasegawa happily unsheathed his zanpaku-to.
 
“It is only polite to tell you the name of the person who is going to kill you,” he announced. “My name is Yumichika Ayasegawa,” he said to Yuki. “Now fight.”
 
Yuki lunged forward, trying for a killing blow. Ayasegawa knocked the attack out of the way, yawning, one hand hiding his mouth. Yuki tried to take advantage of the yawn by trying a side slash. Ayasegawa dodged while looking at his nails. Not prepared for the quick movement, Yuki carried on past Ayasegawa.
 
“I'm over here,” called Ayasegawa. “Did you actually study fighting at the Academy, or did you hide during the classes? So far you haven't even waited for me to attack once. How can you judge my abilities if you haven't seen how I move?”
 
“I did attend the classes,” Yuki objected.
 
“I bet you spent more time studying kido,” said Madarame.
 
Yuki tried another tack and used his sheathe and zanpaku-to at the same time.
 
Ayasegawa blinked. “I think he's trying to steal your moves, Ikkaku,” he said as he easily dodged.
 
By this time the two recruits had returned and were watching the display with interest. Zaraki was amused at how Ayasegawa was playing with the idiot. Piecrust was a good name for him.
 
A few more attacks by Yuki did not get close to Ayasegawa as he moved smoothly out of the way each time. He hadn't used his zanpaku-to once to deflect an attack.
 
“I'm bored now,” Ayasegawa said loudly. With two quick strokes he cut a Y on the recruits” chest, destroying his shirt in the process. The wounds started bleeding immediately. Yuki dropped his zanpaku-to and clutched his chest unbelievingly, looking at the blood pouring out between his fingers.
 
“Don't worry, you won't die,” Ayasegawa said. “I didn't cut you deeply enough. You will have a pretty scar. It might improve your appearance. Madarame I think we need to work on these recruits. They are lazy and badly trained.”
 
“I agree,” said Zaraki. “I couldn't get any fun out of them.”
 
Madarame looked at Yachiru. “Up for training tomorrow?”
 
“Yep,” she said happily. “Do I get a chance to fight?”
 
“I don't think it's a good idea,” said Zaraki. “You might kill one of them by accident.”
 
Yachiru giggled.
 
Zaraki addressed the recruits. “Go back to your barracks. Training will begin at 7.30 am tomorrow. I will be attending and if you don't work at it, you will be fighting me, not Ayasegawa or Madarame and I'm not as kind as they are. Madarame and Ayasegawa will be showing you how to fight by demonstrating, so I suggest you watch them closely. Piecrust, I mean Hisutanga, go to 4th Division and get those cuts attended to. You can go by yourself. You're hardly injured. You will be attending training tomorrow.”
 
Yuki looked disbelievingly at Zaraki, his mouth gaping.
 
“Get out of my sight,” Zaraki barked at him. “You're lucky I'm not sending you back to the Academy.”
 
Yuki retrieved his zanpaku-to and left holding his chest and shaking his head. The rest of the recruits retrieved their zanpaku-to's and moved in the general direction of their barracks. They moved slowly as if they were tired and sore.
 
Once all the recruits had left, Madarame asked the question Zaraki expected. “What happened with the Captain-General?”
 
Three pairs of eyes stared intensely at Zaraki.
 
“Are you going to tell them?” Atonomatsuri asked eagerly. “Whatever is in the heart will come up to the tongue.”
 
“He wanted to know how I was injured,” Zaraki said.
 
There was silence as Madarame, Ayasegawa and Yachiru waited for him to continue.
 
“I told him,” Zaraki finally said.
 
More expectant silence.
 
“Hell, let's go to my office. I need a drink,” Zaraki sighed.
 
Once they were settled in the office, Zaraki poured himself a cup of sake and passed the bottle to Madarame. Yachiru started eating some food she kept stashed in Zaraki's desk while slurping some water.
 
Zaraki drank his sake in one gulp and rubbed his uncovered eye.
 
“I'm changing the direction of 11th Division,” he announced.
 
Three faces showed various emotions, surprise, fear and interest.
 
“I will be encouraging all of 11th Division to find out the names of their zanpaku-to's and to develop their skills with them. I want all the people in my division to be able to be able to release their zanpaku-to's.”
 
Yachiru looked confused. “Why Ken-chan?”
 
“The traitors could attack anytime. We have to be as strong as possible,” Zaraki replied.
 
“So, what's your zanpaku-to's name?” Madarame asked innocently.
 
“Atonomatsuri,” Zaraki replied directly.
 
His three subordinates looked at Zaraki surprised. He could see the questions they wanted to ask, but they restrained themselves.
 
“That's a funny name, Ken-chan,” Yachiru said, simply.
 
“Yeah, well, I didn't choose it,” Zaraki replied.
 
“How long have you known the name?” Ayasegawa asked.
 
“Not long. And no, I have not achieved bankai. Madarame, I want you in the training ground tomorrow at 5.00 am. I want to see what happens when I call its name and get second release. It would be better if I have someone there who knows about release and control. Yachiru and Ayasegawa, stay away. I'm not sure of the power of the thing.”
 
“I'm not a thing,” Atonomatsuri screeched outraged. “
 
Zaraki shook his head to clear it from her voice.
 
“Is everything okay, Ken-chan?” Yachiru asked.
 
“Yeah. I just keep thinking of something else. You might hear a few stories about how I got hurt. If you want the truth, ask me. I don't want to talk about it unless I have to. It's not important now. You can let the others know about the new rules,” Zaraki said.
 
“I've had an idea about the training. Everyone will train together tomorrow. I'll match the recruits to the experienced fighters and that way they can get individual training. I'll take Piecrust,” said Madarame with a malicious grin. “He wants to be third seat. Let him try. He'll end up back at the Academy. I'll work him so hard that he'll be vomiting blood.”
 
Ayasegawa suggested, “Why don't you make an announcement before everyone begins training, Captain, about the new direction? You know everyone prefers to hear the idea directly from you. That way no one will question whether the order is directly from you.”
 
“I hate making friggin' speeches,” Zaraki groaned as he poured another cup of sake and drank it as quickly as the first and then poured another. Passing the sake to Madarame he noticed his expression.
 
“Ur, Captain. Are we playing a drinking game? If so, it's going to be a bit hard to get up at 5.00. You know the games always get a bit out of hand and I hate fighting with a hangover,” Madarame said cautiously.
 
Zaraki frowned. “What are you trying to say? That I'm drinking too much?”
 
“You drink too much,” Atonomatsuri whispered in his mind. “In vino veritas.”
 
Zaraki closed his eyes. “Latin, now,” he thought. “In wine is truth.” Without opening his eyes he drained his third cup of sake.
 
“I drink what I like, I think what I like, I act however I freakin' well like. Don't pretend you can get me to do anything,” Zaraki said loudly, directing his comment at Atonomatsuri.
 
He opened his eyes and saw the reaction of his three friends.
 
“What's the problem, Ken-chan? Baldy wasn't trying to tell you how to act,” Yachiru said.
 
“The more you drink, the louder I become. Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. Keep drinking, Kenny, and I will talk even more.”
 
Zaraki reluctantly put down his cup. “Want to play cards?” he asked, not wishing to be alone. If he was alone, Atonomatsuri might decide it was the perfect chance for another prolonged insult and adage session.
 
“Only if Yachiru doesn't cheat,” Ayasegawa said, getting to his feet and fetching the cards.
 
“I don't cheat. I'm just very good at playing cards. You still owe me for the last game. Where are the buns you promised?”
 
“That's a good idea,” Zaraki said suddenly realising he was hungry. “Fetch some buns. A lot of buns. And some beer and sake. Anything else you want, Madarame, Yachiru?”
 
“Lollies. Lots of lollies,” Yachiru said.
 
“Be reasonable, Yachiru,” Zaraki instructed her.
 
“Okay, sweet buns,” she compromised.
 
“Lots of food. Yeah,” Madarame said. “I forgot about lunch because of the training.”
 
Ayasegawa put the cards down, placed his hands on his hips and scowled at those still seated. “Why am I getting the food?”
 
“Because you lost at cards, Pretty Boy,” Yachiru said reasonably. “The person, who loses at cards, gets the food next time. You know the rules. Hurry up. I'm hungry.”
 
“How am I supposed to carry all the food and drink?”
 
“Get someone to help. I'm too comfortable to move,” said Madarame stretching out and sipping his sake.
 
“I'll come,” offered Yachiru, “as long as you let me choose my buns. Don't forget, you're paying.”
 
For a moment it appeared Ayasegawa was going to make a foolish mistake and decline Yachiru's offer. On looking at her determined expression, he said “Let's go then.”
 
Watching them leave, Zaraki poured himself another cup of sake. This time he just sipped it gently. He knew that this would not be a pause, but a subtle interrogation.
 
“What really happened, Captain?” Madarame asked his voice soft, but serious.
 
“When?” Zaraki replied.
 
Madarame paused and from his frown, Zaraki knew that he was considering which question he wanted answered first.
 
“How did you find out the name of your zanpaku-to?” Madarame finally ventured.
 
“I asked,” Zaraki replied laconically.
 
Madarame bit his lip. “We've known each other a long time, Captain. I'm just surprised. I can't fault your reasoning that we all need to be stronger. What happened when you said your zanpaku-to's name.”
 
“The physical manifestation appeared, of course,” Zaraki replied. He knew his replies were causing Madarame frustration. He could handle it.
 
Madarame's knuckles went white as he clenched his hands. His frustration was obviously beginning to affect him.
 
“Madarame, I am your Captain. I won't explain myself to you. Maybe I'll tell you, maybe not, but not today. Talking about it bores the blood out of me. See what happens tomorrow. Or do you want to talk about how you achieved bankai.”
 
Madarame's expression was frozen. He quickly glanced at Zaraki and then looked at his hands.
 
“I've know for some time. Do you think I'm a fool who isn't aware of his officers” abilities? You did a good job of concealing it, but not good enough,” Zaraki continued.
 
Madarame swallowed convulsively. “What are you going to do, Captain?”
 
“You've got a damned short memory. Didn't you hear me say we need to develop our skills with our zanpaku-to's? You have. I'm relying on you to help me. I bet you still can't beat me in a fight, even if you use bankai,” Zaraki said grinning.
 
“Don't bet on it, Captain,” Madarame smiled back, relief showing in his posture.
 
“Stop running. You'll drop the sake,” Ayasegawa's voice came from outside.
 
Yachiru burst in, her hands full. Ayasegawa followed bringing more packages.
 
“I managed to persuade her to allow me to buy some savoury buns,” Ayasegawa stated loudly.
 
Yachiru poked her tongue out at him. “You're no fun.” She thrust a bag at Zaraki. “I got your favourites, Ken-chan. At least I think they're your favourites. If you don't like them, I'll eat them.”
 
Zaraki took the bag from her and inspected the contents. “Amazing. They are savoury. Come on; let's eat while we play cards. What game tonight?”
 
“Canasta?” suggested Ayasegawa.
 
“That's a wussy game. I want to play Poker,” said Yachiru.
 
“Not Poker,” exclaimed Madarame and Ayasegawa together.
 
“You always cheat at Poker,” Madarame accused Yachiru. “We haven't played Five Hundred for a while.
 
“We'll play Hearts,” Zaraki said dealing the cards. “Ten games only. We need to get up early tomorrow.”
 
After losing every hand but two, Madarame agreed that he would supply the food next time.
 
After leaving the office, Zaraki reflected on how quiet Atonomatsuri had been.
 
As if thinking about her triggered her attention, Zaraki heard her voice in his mind. “You're actually going to summon me, in front of someone else? Wonders will never cease.”
 
“Madarame might understand this whole thing better than I do. If he has achieved bankai, he'll understand about this whole release thing and how to control the blade's size. I know I can control it in its normal form, but this new version is different. I wonder if it's a different way to compress reiatsu,” he thought.
 
“Maybe you should wear two eye patches, Kenny,” Atonomatsuri suggested nastily.
 
Zaraki ignored her comment. How could he fight with two eye patches? That was a typical irritating comment from the equally irritating vulture.
 
Sleep came quickly after he pointed out to Atonomatsuri that her “helpful” hints and suggestions might influence him to change his mind about summoning her.
 
The dreams he experienced that night did not make for restful slumber. Again he was in his mind, but a mind vastly improved. As quickly as it appeared, the image of his mind faded and he found he was fighting a hollow in an unfamiliar desert area. This hollow was unlike any he had fought before. The size was greater than any he had seen. The reiatsu of the creature was superior to that he had experienced before, and it knew how to fight. He found himself removing his eye patch as he grappled with the creature. The mask completely concealed the hollow's face, but for some reason he felt he knew the person trapped within the hollow he was fighting. Sometimes the hollow appeared to be able to anticipate his moves and was already counter-attacking before he had commenced the attack. Zaraki backtracked and quickly changed his strategy. The hollow still appeared to have an edge on him.
 
The hollow lashed out at him and reopened the cut he had on his face. He felt the burn of the slash and the sting of blood as it welled to the surface. Zaraki dashed the blood from his eye as he desperately fought back. The hollow must be destroyed. It was a vile being that did not deserve even this half existence.
 
The fight was fierce. The hollow charged Zaraki and the force of the blow made Zaraki stagger. Knocking Zaraki from his feet, the hollow poised to deliver the death blow. Before it did, the hollow raised its head and howled in victory. The noise seemed to rend the sky and break the ground on which Zaraki lay
 
Zaraki awoke, sweating. What the hell was happening with his dreams? Two nights now he'd had dreams of fighting. When he won against Tosen he was told he had lost. Tonight it looked as if he had lost to a hollow.
 
“Maybe my mind is taking revenge and sending these dreams. That hollow was different. If the arrancar are that strong I should start intense training with Atonomatsuri. I want to cut the arrancar's and kill Aizen. I want to kill the lot of them and then Seireitei can return to normal.”
 
Deciding that sleep would only bring more bad dreams, Zaraki looked at the time. 4.30 am. Time to prepare for the training with Madarame. Rising from the bed, Zaraki decided to put the dreams from his mind.
 
“Might be the result of all this bloody thinking. My mind is now throwing anything it can at me, whenever it can. I don't remember having dreams like this for years. Have I had dreams like this before?”
 
Zaraki stood, contemplating his last thought. Was it true? Had he dreamed like this before? He searched his memory. Vague memories of strange dreams returned to him. The dreams slowly ceased once he met and named Yachiru and told her his name. He still did not know why he originally took care of the kid. Sure he was glad he had, now, but he still had trouble tracing the original impulse. A child had no place with a fighter like him.
 
Shrugging away the memories, Zaraki prepared for the fight. After the usual struggle to place the last bell, Zaraki went to the training ground. The lights were on, but Madarame was not there. Zaraki tapped his hand against his thigh. Should he wait, or go and drag his third seat out of bed? Deciding on the latter course of action, Zaraki was just about to do so when Madarame appeared, yawning and scratching his head.
 
“Friggin' early for training, Captain,” he grumbled.
 
“I know how early it is. Are you awake?”
 
Madarame rubbed his face. “Not yet.” He went over to the water buts and doused his head with the water. “Cold,” he commented as he threw more water over his head. He shook the water off and rubbed his face again. “I'm awake now,” he announced.
 
“About time,” Zaraki remarked dryly.
 
“What do you want to do first?” Madarame asked.
 
“I'm willing to listen to your suggestion,” Zaraki replied.
 
Madarame shook his head. “You aren't easy with this, are you Captain?”
 
“What's your suggestion?” Zaraki said ignoring the question. “I suppose you'll just tell me to say the name. It's not that simple.” He drew his zanpaku-to.
 
“Yawn, Atonomatsuri,” he said loudly.
 
After the wind blew, he was holding the extraordinarily ugly blade.
 
Madarame stared. Zaraki could see he wanted to comment.
 
“Don't bother to comment. I know it's ugly and pink in parts. I can't change that, but I need to control the size of the thing.”
 
“Yes, I can see that. Can you even lift it?”
 
Zaraki tried and managed to lift it off the ground.
 
“I'm impressed, Captain. You know you could build up your strength….” Madarame's words faded as he realised what he was saying and to whom.
 
“You were saying, Third Seat?” Zaraki said sardonically.
 
“Nothing.”
 
“I will try to increase my strength, but I want this thing a more normal size,” Zaraki said.
 
“I am not a thing!” Atonomatsuri said, piqued again. “I advised you to wear two eye patches. That would have made it simpler. A fool never listens to reason unless reason follows the fools” thoughts.”
 
“Shut up,” Zaraki said aloud.
 
“Captain?” Madarame said curiously.
 
“Not you,” Zaraki snapped.
 
“Does your zanpaku-to talk to you?” Madarame asked hesitantly.
 
“Yeah. Too often. I'm sick of the sound of her voice.”
 
“You don't have to talk aloud to answer it. Just think at it,” Madarame's voice was uncertain. “I had trouble at first when I was talking to mine.”
 
“Thanks for the hint,” Zaraki said sarcastically.
 
“Kenny, the poor bald man is trying to help you. Be kind. Every person you meet is fighting a hard battle,” Atonomatsuri chuckled.
 
Zaraki opened his mouth, preparing to retort and then shut it with a snap. “Enough with the adages,” he thought at Atonomatsuri.
 
“I'm not giving up adages, Kenny. Not for you, not for anyone. The cask can only yield the wine it contains. It's almost a pity Madarame had to tell you how to talk to me. I enjoyed watching you making a bigger fool of yourself than normal,” Atonomatsuri observed chuckling.
 
Zaraki ignored her comments and looked at Madarame. “Now, tell me. How do I control my reiatsu so I can control the size of this thin….the blade?”
 
Madarame looked at Zaraki and then at the zanpaku-to and started to slowly shake his head.
 
“Why can't anything be simple?” Zaraki thought.
 
Author's Note:
 
Thank you for the reviews. I enjoy reading them. The support is appreciated.
 
Why was Yamamoto so harsh to Zaraki in the last chapter? Yamamoto appears in the manga as a very strict disciplinarian. It is highly possible he lied to Rukia when he granted her last request that her friends would be returned to the human world unharmed. He is prepared to fight two of his captains for their insubordination when they destroyed the Sokyoku. He ordered Renji be killed for trying to save Rukia. In the online manga it is implied that he is not averse to getting other people to use force in order to gain obedience to his orders. As he is the person who set up Seireitei in the first place it is highly probable that he would need to be diplomatic but also ruthless when the occasion demanded it. That was the reasoning I used when writing the last chapter. I am aware that the reasoning may be flawed. Still, I think Yamamoto is a fascinating character.
 
I know I used the piecrust quote earlier with Atonomatsuri. I just wanted to make Yachuri use it again because it amused me.
 
I'm not sure whether `Piecrust' will appear again. He's not as much fun as Atonomatsuri, but a stupid, arrogant jerk can be useful sometimes. Maybe Atonomatsuri would like to play with him.
 
Life sometimes interrupts my writing. Sometimes writing interrupts my life.
 
Please review.
 
MS