Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Accusations and Explanations ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters except for Atonomatsuri and Piecrust who are my original creations.
 
Accusations and Explanations
 
Nearing the training ground, Zaraki heard raised voices. He increased the speed of his pace. He didn't want anyone else to end up at 4th Division today. He knew if they did, Retsu would not be pleased and he would have to explain.
 
Entering the training ground he saw Yachiru cleaning her zanpaku-to. She appeared to be concentrating. Ayasegawa was involved in an altercation with the assistant-captain from 12th Division, Nemu Kurotsuchi.
 
“Captain Kurotsuchi demands that Captain Zaraki attend him in his office immediately,” Nemu was saying quietly, but with determination.
 
“Your captain has no right to make demands of the captain of 11th Division. If the matter is as important, as he believes, then your captain should be here, instead of sending a subordinate. Captain Zaraki is very busy at the moment and I don't know when he will return. I will give him your message later,” Ayasegawa was saying heatedly.
 
Zaraki smiled to himself as he noticed Ayasegawa had taken the time to change his uniform and freshen up. The uniform he wore displayed no signs of the cuts inflicted by Madarame. Nemu was standing in front of Ayasegawa, her whole posture showing deference and reluctance with a slight touch of determination. Her eyes were cast down to the ground.
 
“Ken-chan does not respond to the orders of another captain,” Yachiru observed brightly, “unless it's the Captain-General. Ken-chan won't bother with visiting the Captain Clown anytime soon. He's busy.”
 
Nemu reacted to the insult Yachiru had levelled at her captain. “You should address him as Captain Kurotsuchi,” she said with a small display of pique.
 
“Why? He's not my captain. He's just weird. I'd hate for him to be my father. I'm lucky I've got Ken-chan. He treats me like a human being,” Yachiru looked up and caught sight of her captain. “Hello, Ken-chan. She wants you to go visit her father. Yumichika has told her that you're too busy, but she won't go away.”
 
Zaraki smiled at Yachiru, ignoring Nemu. “I warned you against playing with the recruits, Yachiru,” he scolded slightly. “Now Piecrust is hurt and it may be some time before he returns.”
 
Zaraki disregarded the slight cheer he heard from the Division as he said those words.
 
“Good,” said Yachiru. “Madarame said I could play with Piecrust. Piecrust insulted me. It made me angry. He screamed like a member of 4th Division when I cut him, Ken-chan. He ran like a rabbit, squealing all the time. It was funny 'cause he seemed to think he could escape me. Stupid Piecrust. When he's better, can I play with him again? I want to see how soon I can make him cry.”
 
“He cried?” Zaraki asked, disgusted.
 
“Yep. Cried, howled, and begged me to stop. And he got my zanpaku-to all dirty. I'm cleaning it now. When is he coming back?” Yachiru asked.
 
“I don't know,” Zaraki said.
 
“Excuse me, Captain Zaraki. Captain Kurotsuchi requests that you attend him immediately,” Nemu said. She moved directly in front of Zaraki in an attempt to gain his attention.
 
“It's the Clown Captain's daughter,” Atonomatsuri noted. “Blessed is she that expects nothing, for she shall never be disappointed. She only expects pain from her father, and she's never disappointed.”
 
“Now it's requests, not demands,” Zaraki observed wryly, acknowledging mentally Atonomatsuri's accuracy in her statement.
 
“I know your captain wishes to see me, but at present I'm too busy. Maybe later. If it helps, I'll get Ayasegawa to cut you a few times before you go back. If you go back hurt, Kurotsuchi might think you tried,” Zaraki offered Nemu.
 
“Thank you captain, but I don't believe that will be necessary,” Nemu said sadly.
 
A loud clanging prevented any further conversation. “All Captains. All Captains, Report immediately for an Emergency Officers' conference.”
 
“Damn. Another of those time wasting meeting,” Zaraki cursed. “Come on Yachiru. You'd better come with me. Ayasegawa, keep training the division for at least another hour. Get that lazy 4th seat to help you.”
 
“May I accompany you, Captain Zaraki?” Nemu asked humbly.
 
“Yeah, sure, just don't expect me to carry you. You have to keep up,” he replied.
 
Yachiru had taken up her accustomed position on his back. “I'm ready Ken-chan. Are you going to run very fast? I'll tell you which way to go,” she offered, giggling.
 
“Not today. I have a feeling we should not be late this time. You can direct me on the way back. I'll run pretty fast, but slower than normal,” Zaraki replied.
 
Zaraki set off with Nemu hurrying beside him. She knew the way well and as Zaraki had been there only the day before, they made good time.
 
“Go on Yachiru. Go join the other assistant captains. Have you got your badge? We'll talk later,” Zaraki said once they arrived.
 
“I've got my badge. Okay Ken-chan. Try not to go to sleep,” Yachiru chirped happily.
 
“I may even talk to Captain Kurotsuchi,” Zaraki said to Nemu, who nodded sadly as she walked away.
 
Entering the Captain-General's office he noticed he was not the last to arrive. Retsu was already there and she nodded to him slightly as he came through the door. He took his position and tried to talk to the Captain beside him.
 
“What's the meeting about? What's the emergency this time? More ryoka?” Zaraki asked.
 
“I don't know. I thought you might know. You visited the Captain-General yesterday. I understand you were here for some time. Whatever it is, I'm sure, if the Captain-General called us here, it must be important,” Captain Komamura responded.
 
“Yeah. I suppose so,” Zaraki said and then stretched. “Hope it doesn't go too long.”
 
“It will be as long as necessary,” was all the response he received.
 
Zaraki looked at the other captains. Their ranks had thinned considerably since the defection of the traitors. Maybe the Captain-General was going to ask for possible candidates to fill the vacant positions. Another few captains arrived. The only absences were Kurotsuchi and the Captain General. They arrived together, a few minutes later.
 
The Captain-General took his accustomed position in front of the captains and spoke.
 
“Serious allegations have been made against two of our captains by another captain. In the interests of peace, I agreed to investigate the matter. Captain Zaraki, Captain Unohana, you have been accused of violence against Captain Kurotsuchi. Further you incited violence from your subordinates against the Captain.”
 
“For he may smile and smile and still be a villain. I thought Captain Clown would realise that this was not a good idea,” Atonomatsuri said meditatively.
 
“Shakespeare now? I think Kurotsuchi is playing a deeper game than it seems,” Zaraki said to her mentally. “I wonder why he is doing this. He sent his assistant captain demanding I see him, and all the time he was here talking to Yamamoto about an incident that occurred two days ago. What would have happened if I had decided to visit him?”
 
“I don't believe Hell has frozen over yet,” Atonomatsuri answered. “He knew you wouldn't agree to his request.”
 
Retsu had flushed at the accusation. Her normally pale cheeks had turned a dusky shade of rose and her eyes were wide with disbelief. Zaraki glanced at her and saw that she was disturbed by this sudden accusation.
 
“Captain Unohana, as the incident occurred within 4th Division, I believe you should supply your explanation first,” Yamamoto instructed.
 
“Captain Kurotsuchi was in 4th Division, unknown to me. He attacked Captain Zaraki while he was still weak. I felt it was necessary to remove him quickly before he injured my patient any further,” Retsu explained in a calm voice.
 
“But, I understand Captain Zaraki assaulted Captain Kurotsuchi, without provocation. Captain Zaraki, didn't you grab the Captain by the throat?” the Captain-General asked.
 
“Yes, I did, but only after...”
 
“You did assault Captain Kurotsuchi?”
 
“Yes, but only after he touched me,” Zaraki blustered. He was starting to lose his temper.
 
“Bad move, Kenny. Tell them the whole story. Oh, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive!” Atonomatsuri squawked.
 
“Enough of the Shakespeare! Are you going to help or just quote at me?” Zaraki asked her.
 
“He touched you,” the Captain General said slowly.
 
“I believed that Captain Kurotsuchi was threatening Captain Zaraki,” Retsu said quickly.
 
Zaraki flashed Retsu a grateful look.
 
“And acting on that belief, you brought some subordinates to assist you. Your subordinates and you, with the exception of Captain Zaraki drew your zanpaku-to's on Captain Kurotsuchi in a time of peace? That is unlawful,” the Captain-General said bluntly.
 
Retsu's flush had faded and now her face was as white as parchment.
 
“Captain-General. I believe that the whole story should be told. May I have your permission?” Retsu asked politely.
 
The Captain-General gave Retsu a piercing look. “The truth,” he said.
 
“I only tell the truth. As you know, Captain Zaraki was brought to 4th Division suffering many wounds and he was poisoned. I was concerned for his welfare, as I am concerned for any of my patients. When he finally became conscious, it was obvious he was considerably weaker than normal. We were keeping a close watch on Captain Zaraki. The poison is unknown to me and I was uncertain if there would be side effects. I supplied a blood sample to Captain Kurotsuchi as I thought he might be interested in the poison. I did that purely as a courtesy.”
 
“That seems reasonable and polite,” said Captain Kyoraku.
 
“I'm not convinced,” said Captain Soi.
 
“Silence,” ordered the Captain-General. “Continue, please Captain Unohana. So far I can see nothing in your statement that does not appear true.”
 
“I have since been told, by one of my people, that Captain Kurotsuchi brought a member of his division for medical attention. This person appeared to be suffering from a poison very similar to the one found in Captain Zaraki,” Retsu continued.
 
“I thought you said the poison was unknown to you until you observed it in Captain Zaraki,” Captain Ukitake said with interest.
 
“It was. I was surprised to learn of two cases within a few hours,” Retsu replied. “While the patient was being treated, Captain Kurotsuchi left. At least, it was believed he left.”
 
“Blended into the walls, again, Kurotsuchi,” Captain Kyoraku, murmured sotto voice.
 
“Later that night, I heard some one call out and I went to Captain Zaraki's room. He was awake and we talked for a few moments. Captain Kurotsuchi appeared and demanded the source of the poison. Captain Zaraki laughed at him. I think that may have annoyed Captain Kurotsuchi. He grabbed Captain Zaraki by the wrist. I believe he was preparing to use one of his more unpleasant techniques to gain information. My main concern was my patient. Captain Kurotsuchi ignored my request to leave. I went to gather assistance. Captain Zaraki's 5th seat was still at 4th Division, as there was some concern that whoever attacked him might return. We unsheathed our zanpaku-to's to show Captain Kurotsuchi that we were in earnest. When we arrived at Captain Zaraki's room, Captain Zaraki had managed to overcome the unwelcome visitor. Captain Kurotsuchi was removed from 4th Division, with no injury to him. I was going to bring the matter to your attention, Captain-General. I apologise that I have not done so before this.”
 
“She that respects herself is safe from others: She wears a coat of mail that no one can pierce,” Atonomatsuri said admiringly.
 
Zaraki sighed. Back to the adages again. He preferred Shakespeare or Sun Tzu.
 
“A very clear outline, Captain Unohana. However, the fact remains that Captain Zaraki did attack Captain Kurotsuchi and you did encourage subordinates to draw their zanpaku-to's on a superior officer. Given the circumstances, and the unusual nature of the events, I am prepared to allow you to remain as Captain of 4th Division. Captain Zaraki, as the attack was not unprovoked, as I was led to believe, I will take no further action against you. However Captains, the actions of your subordinates cannot be overlooked, even though they were acting under orders. Those who were involved will be held in cells tomorrow, for the whole day and they are under curfew for a week.”
 
Zaraki looked at the Captain-General. He felt like smiling. That was no punishment.
 
“That's not a proper punishment,” Kurotsuchi complained. “I told you, Zaraki and Unohana are conspiring against Seireitei. I overheard their conversation. I told you what I heard.”
 
“We will talk of that later, Captain,” Yamamoto said to him with a serious note in his voice.
 
“But what about my samples?” Kurotsuchi whined.
 
“I provided a sample only this morning,” Retsu said quietly.
 
“I need a fresh sample. That one had decayed,” Kurotsuchi said.
 
“Captain Zaraki. In the next few days, be kind enough to supply a fresh sample of the poison to Captain Kurotsuchi,” Yamamoto instructed.
 
“Sure,” said Zaraki.
 
“I believe that is the end of that matter. Other matters: The intruder who attacked Captain Zaraki has been identified and presents no threat to Seireitei. Now, Captain Zaraki, I understand that you have an announcement to make to the other Captains,” Yamamoto said.
 
“What the hell does he mean?” Zaraki wondered.
 
“Tell them about me, Kenny. He wants you to talk about me. Tell them about the marvellous nature and sparking personality of your zanpaku-to,” Atonomatsuri crowed.
 
“Hell,” Zaraki thought. “Maybe no one had heard rumours, because Yamamoto wanted me to announce this. Maybe there won't be any rumours.”
 
“I am changing the direction of 11th Division,” he said uneasily.
 
The other captains murmured to each other, except for Captain Kuchiki whose eyes widened slightly.
 
“I'm instructing the division to learn the names of their zanpaku-to's. We need to be able to fight against any threat. If we can use the strength of our zanpaku-to's we may have a better chance.”
 
“So, do you know the name of your zanpaku-to?” Kurotsuchi sneered.
 
“Yes. I know the name of my zanpaku-to,” Zaraki replied strongly.
 
The murmurs amongst the captains rose.
 
“What's its name”?” Captain Komamura asked.
 
“I hate this. Why did you have to have such a weird name? Why couldn't it be something like Crouching Tiger?” Zaraki said to Atonomatsuri.
 
“My name is for a reason, just like yours Kenny. Go on, they're all waiting. Tell them my name. Why hide my light under a bushel?” Atonomatsuri urged.
 
“My zanpaku-to's name is,” Zaraki hesitated and glanced toward Yamamoto. The Captain-General returned his look sternly and nodded. “Atonomatsuri.” Zaraki said reluctantly.
 
Kurotsuchi started to laugh loudly. The other captains looked shocked at the laughter.
 
“Atonomatsuri. “Too late”. It's perfect for you, Captain. I couldn't have thought of a better name for your zanpaku-to,” Kurotsuchi said, still laughing. “I suppose you've achieved bankai already.”
 
Zaraki stiffened at the comments. He could feel the anger he had been suppressing, until now, rise.
 
“Keep calm, Kenny. Captain Clown wants you to react. Look at the way he's watching you. When anger arises, think of the consequences,” Atonomatsuri advised.
 
“I thought you hated me, beak face. Why are you helping me now?” Zaraki asked.
 
“I hate Captain Clown more than I hate you. Anyway, we have a deal. Stop questioning me and answer the silly man.”
 
“No. I have not achieved bankai. I do not know when, or even if I will make that progression,” Zaraki said, then clenched his jaw shut.
 
“Oh, how troublesome,” Kurotsuchi said smoothly. “Still lagging behind the rest of the captains and some of the assistant captains.”
 
“That is enough, Captain,” Yamamoto said, sharply.
 
Kurotsuchi stopped, and turned toward the Captain-General. “I am only telling the truth,” he protested.
 
“I am rather interested in your version of the truth. It appears on occasions that your version is at odds with other versions. Wait outside after this meeting finishes. I will take some time to discuss truth and other matters with you,” Yamamoto instructed him.
 
Kurotsuchi stood there, his mouth open and his eyes wide. He stared unbelievingly at Yamamoto and then slowly nodded.
 
“I think that is all the business completed, Captains. You are dismissed,” Yamamoto announced.
 
As the captains moved toward the door, the Captain General walked up to Zaraki. “I would like to speak with you now, Captain. Please wait.”
 
Zaraki nodded, wondering what this was about. He watched the other captains file out and caught a glare from Kurotsuchi.
 
“I understand that you have a recruit named Yuki Hisutanga,” Yamamoto said, once they were alone.
 
Zaraki frowned when he heard the name. The name was slightly familiar, but he couldn't remember the recruit clearly. “I'm not sure, Captain-General. I've heard the name, but I can't place him.”
 
“I understand that he acquired a nickname from your assistant-captain, recently,” Yamamoto prompted.
 
Suddenly it was clear who Yuki Hisutanga, was. “You mean Piecrust?” As he said the name, Zaraki remembered that Piecrust had been injured again. “He's at 4th Division, at the moment,” he said uncomfortably.
 
“I am aware of that. I believe this is the second visit to 4th Division in 2 days. Is that correct?”
 
“Ugh. Yeah. I don't think he's fitting into 11th Division. I was going to send him back to the Academy,” Zaraki replied.
 
“You will not send him back. He will stay in 11th Division. Hisutanga's reputation has already spread and no other Division will take him. I instruct you to take a personal interest in training him. He needs a strong person to shape him into a Shinigami. It's only by pure luck that he managed to graduate from the Academy,” said Yamamoto.
 
“Then why not send him out of Seireitei? He's not going to improve. I had Madarame training him and Piecrust, I mean Hisutanga, wouldn't listen to him. Piecrust's a waste of reiatsu,” Zaraki protested.
 
“That is an order, Captain. You will train the recruit. I will be observing his progress,” Yamamoto continued.
 
“What if he asks to leave 11th Division? What if he gets killed during training,” Zaraki was foundering. He didn't want to train Piecrust
 
“If he asks to leave I will speak to him personally. I haven't asked you to do anything difficult, Captain. I insist that you respect my request. Train him. He must have some potential.”
 
“His only potential, I can see, is as Hollow bait,” Zaraki burst out.
 
“That could be at least useful. If he dies killing a Hollow, at least he will die with some dignity,” Yamamoto replied calmly.
 
“Why? Why do you want me to train him?” Zaraki asked
 
“That is none of your business. I want him trained, by you. I will come to view his progress next week. Make sure he is not at 4th Division at that time,” Yamamoto insisted.
 
Zaraki swallowed and shrugged. “I will obey your instructions,” he grated. A thought struck him.
 
“I appreciate that you did not tell anyone about our conversation yesterday,” Zaraki said weakly.
 
“As I said Captain, I only release those facts that are essential. I thought over the years we had established some trust,” Yamamoto replied. “You are dismissed Captain Zaraki. Tell Captain Kurotsuchi, I will see him now. Please ask that he come in,” Yamamoto's voice was grim.
 
Zaraki left the room. Outside he found Kurotsuchi glaring at Retsu who was calmly gazing back.
 
“I am in charge of Research. You should stick to cleaning and washing and the other useless work that 4th Division performs. Or maybe you should find yourself a man and distract yourself with him. I don't want you trespassing on my work.”
 
Zaraki glanced at Retsu. Her cheeks had flushed at Kurotsuchi's words.
 
“I work with sick people. If a person is poisoned, I should know the antidote. Discovering that antidote falls under the jurisdiction of 4th Division,” she said clearly.
 
“I'll bring the matter to the attention of the Captain-General,” Kurotsuchi began.
 
“I'm sure the Captain-General will be very interested in your comments. He's waiting to talk to you now,” Zaraki broke in.
 
Kurotsuchi spun around and glared at Zaraki. “I can feel your treachery in this conspiracy. I'm watching you, Zaraki. Remember that.”
 
“So there is a spy in 11th Division. That information may come in useful. I'll find out who it is and send them back to you, after I've had my fun. I'm sure Captain Unohana will do the same in 4th Division. As a Captain, I do not tolerate divided loyalties. I remind you, Captain Yamamoto is waiting to talk to you. I wouldn't keep him waiting,” Zaraki replied coldly.
 
Kurotsuchi quickly entered the office at the reminder.
 
“I think that Captain Kurotsuchi is a little upset. I had to inform him that the member of his Division, who was admitted the night you were there, has died. Her reiatsu kept diminishing and I couldn't find a way to assist. I thought I'd found the antidote, but I think I was too late,” Retsu said quietly.
 
“I think you're being too generous. He doesn't care what happens to his subordinates,” Zaraki replied. “How's Piecrust,” he asked trying to change the subject. He didn't want to talk about Kurotsuchi.
 
“He's recovering. I've ensured that he is attended only by males. That will hopefully prevent any other incidents. I hope to discharge him after two days observation. He was badly injured and refuses to name the person who attacked him. Hanatoro Yamada and Iemura are doing most of the work.”
 
“The fool insulted Yachiru and she cut him. Send him back when you're sick of him. I've been told I have to keep him,” he added.
 
“Oh, dear. That won't be popular with your division, will it? I'm pleased he wasn't reassigned to mine. I heard that he was advised to join 4th Division at the Academy. It's my good fortune that he rejected that advice,” Retsu said.
 
“And my bad luck,” Zaraki sighed.
 
“I'll need another sample of the poison tomorrow, Zaraki. I think I may have found a method to weaken the poison. I'd like to have some control over how long the effects will last before I'm willing to release it. Unfortunately, I'll have to ask you to assist. You seem the only person who is relatively immune from the deadly effects. After the death this afternoon, I am even more reluctant to expose anyone else to the poison, until I have established the antidote.”
 
“Sure. I need this and you're helping me. I'll come at a decent time. No more early morning visits.” Zaraki said.
 
“And don't punch anyone,” Retsu said.
 
“I won't thump anyone, even if Iemura dithers again,” Zaraki said resignedly. “I'd better go.”
 
“I'm hoping to see the Captain-General. I was told he may see me after he has spoken to Captain Kurotsuchi,” Retsu said.
 
“Ignore that idiot Kurotsuchi when he comes out. See you tomorrow,” Zaraki told Retsu.
 
She smiled at him briefly before he left.
 
Zaraki collected Yachiru and walked back to his Division, thinking. Yachiru kept asking questions which he answered distractedly. She tried to give directions, but he ignored them.
 
Yamamoto had been fair. No gossip had started from his office. Zaraki knew that Kurotsuchi would try to use the information he'd obtained at the Captain's meeting to start some vicious slander. At least he didn't know all the facts. If only there was some way to muzzle the freak.
 
He approached the training area and heard Ayasegawa issuing orders. Wandering in, he noticed that all the Division were looking sweat stained and weary. At least this time no one was lying on the ground. Looking around the faces, Zaraki could not see his 4th seat.
 
“Where's the 4th seat, Ayasegawa,” he yelled.
 
“He had to go to 4th Division. He came out in a rash,” Ayasegawa replied.
 
“Probably an allergy to training,” Yachiru said, popping up behind Zaraki.
 
“You might be right,” Zaraki agreed.
 
“Retsu won't be pleased,” Atonomatsuri said.
 
Zaraki groaned. He hoped she wouldn't go formal on him again.
 
“Ayasegawa, you can stop now. I think we need everyone to go and rest up. We'll continue this tomorrow,” Zaraki ordered.
 
“Hey, Captain,” Madarame said entering the training ground. “The 4th Division sent me back. They had to sedate that idiot Piecrust again, and he'll be out for the night. I saw our 4th seat. He looks peculiar. Has purple blotches all over him. They've isolated him.”
 
Zaraki groaned. Another mystery illness. His 4th seat managed to contract something weird once every few months.
 
Ayasegawa had dismissed the 11th while Madarame talked to Zaraki.
 
“What was the Emergency Meeting about, Ken-chan,” Yachiru asked.
 
Zaraki did not wish to answer the question in public. It reminded him that there was a Kurotsuchi spy in 11th Division. The spy must be discovered immediately.
 
“I feel like a game of Cheat. Do you want to play?” he asked nonchalantly of his friends.
 
They looked at him, noticing his manner. They had agreed on this code long ago as a signal that they needed to talk privately.
 
“Cards. Yeah I'm interested. As long as it's not Poker,” Madarame joked.
 
“Or Canasta,” Yachiru said.
 
“I'd quite like a game of Hearts, or Cheat,” Ayasegawa said.
 
“Madarame. You get the food. Yachiru you help. Don't be long. I'm in the mood to win,” Zaraki said.
 
Madarame nodded slowly. Yachiru looked as if she might protest, but seeing the look in Zaraki's eyes, she also nodded.
 
Yachiru and Madarame left, arguing loudly about the food they would buy. Ayasegawa followed Zaraki to his office.
 
“What's the problem, Captain? Can I help?” Ayasegawa asked as soon as the office door was closed.
 
“I want to wait for the others. I don't feel like explaining this more than once. Want some sake?” Zaraki replied.
 
Author's note.
 
I was nasty to Kurotsuchi again. If you like him, you are obviously reading the wrong story.
 
I know that some of you are tapping your feet, waiting impatiently for the romantic spin off from this story. It's still on my list. Maybe I'll start it next week, or next month; next year?
 
I hope you enjoy reading this story as much as I enjoy writing it. Please review.
 
MS