Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Aversion to Truth ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters. I do own the bird and the jerk.
 
Aversion to Truth
 
Ayasegawa shrugged. “Captain. I've know you for a long time. If you used the code, I think I might need a clear head to work through this. I only remember one time you used the code before and we both remember how difficult that was. This must be serious.” He looked as serious as he ever did. So serious he didn't even try to catch a glimpse of his reflection.
 
Zaraki grinned at his 5th seat. “Practical again. You're right. Maybe I need to keep my head clear until we work out what to do. Would you like some tea?” Zaraki would have preferred sake, but saw the sense in the suggestion of keeping a clear head.
 
“I'll make it,” Ayasegawa offered. “I made sure you had good supplies of my favourite blend when I was doing all your paperwork. I see that it's piling up again.” Ayasegawa looked pointedly at the untidy pile of papers on Zaraki's desk. He moved toward where the teapot was kept.
 
“Ur, yeah. I've been busy. Do you think you could do it-,” Zaraki began hoping that Ayasegawa would be easily convinced to do the paperwork.
 
“You still owe me sake from last time,” Ayasegawa interrupted, as he commenced boiling the water.
 
“Tomorrow. I'll give the sake after you finish the paperwork tomorrow,” Zaraki bargained. He was prepared to give him a case of sake if he didn't have to do anymore paperwork. Hell, he'd even give him the good sake.
 
Ayasegawa looked piercingly at Zaraki and then smiled. “Captain. You know I'd do anything for you,” he paused. “If there's sake involved,” he finished smiling. He retrieved the teapot, cups and tea from a cupboard.
 
Zaraki laughed. “Beauty, sake or a good fight attract you. Maybe we can make a deal where you do the paperwork every day, so it doesn't pile up.”
 
Ayasegawa almost dropped the teapot he was filling. “No damned way, Captain. Not the hellishly boring paperwork every day. You can't expect a person with my beauty to spend his time completing tedious paperwork. Not when I could be providing enjoyment to so many when they catch a glimpse of my exquisite good looks. I'll share the work, but not every day.”
 
Sighing, Zaraki said, “Maybe we can see if one of the recruits is any good at paperwork. I sure as Hades don't want to waste my time doing it. I'd prefer to talk to Atonomatsuri.” Realising what he'd said, Zaraki cursed. He didn't want to mention her. She tended to talk to him when he mentioned her name.
 
“Flattery will get you nowhere with me, Kenny and that sounded not like flattery. You'd prefer to talk to me than do paperwork? That's not very kind. Maybe we need to have a long talk, soon,” Atonomatsuri voice was cold. Zaraki shook his head. A long talk with Atonomatsuri wasn't something he wanted. From the tone of her voice, Atonomatsuri had returned to her bitter mood. Next she would be talking about how much she hated him and the pain he had caused her. Sighing he wondered how long it would be before he could use the new form of the zanpaku-to.
 
Ayasegawa was pouring the tea. “Your zanpaku-to? You'd prefer to talk to your zanpaku-to than do paperwork? There's nothing unusual in that, unless you don't like talking to your zanpaku-to. Do you Captain? You've told us very little about its physical manifestation.”
 
“Not much to tell,” Zaraki shrugged, hoping that Ayasegawa might become distracted by the tea.
 
“A lie begets a lie till they come to generations,” Atonomatsuri threatened. “Yumichika would appreciate my beauty and wit. You've told your friends so little about me, only my name. I'm hurt. Why are you hurting me, Zaraki? Why are you denying me? Is it because they would prefer my conversation? Is it your fear of competition? Is it because your poor under worked mind is sending you dreams each night? Dreams that frighten the great Kenpachi Zaraki?”
 
Zaraki felt his spine stiffen at her words. She had mentioned the dreams that he didn't want to remember. He wasn't scared by the dreams. They just disturbed his sleep and he liked to sleep. “What do you know about the dreams?” he demanded. Little hoping for an answer, he waited, keeping his mind clear. The only reply he received was bitter laughter.
 
“Tell me what you know about the dreams,” he again demanded louder, little hoping for a reply. How could he make the contrary vulture tell him anything?
 
“What dreams, Captain? I'm confused. I thought we were talking about your zanpaku-to,” Ayasegawa responded. While Zaraki had been distracted Ayasegawa had come close to hand his captain the cup of tea.
 
Realising he's spoken the last comment aloud, Zaraki felt anger at Atonomatsuri. When she knew something, unless it was in her interest, she would not tell him until the time it would do most damage to him, or there was no other choice. “Don't tell me,” he said mentally. “You'd probably lie anyway. I'm not interested in the dreams. They'll pass.”
 
Atonomatsuri did not reply.
 
Zaraki took a sip of tea. He felt it burn his throat but he welcomed the burn. It was real, unlike the dreams and the ruined landscape that was supposed to be his mind. “Nothing. Just thinking aloud. I don't want to talk about my zanpaku-to, not yet anyway,” he said dismissively.
 
Ayasegawa sat down, crossed his ankles and sipped his tea. His gaze was direct and clear. “I understand, Captain, but you should realise that your whole division is interested. If you don't talk, people are likely to imagine all types of things.”
 
Zaraki did not bother to reply. He didn't want to talk about Atonomatsuri. He didn't want to talk to Atonomatsuri. In addition, he didn't want to think about her.
 
“Ken-chan. Open the door. My hands are full,” Yachiru called from outside the door.
 
Zaraki opened the door. Madarame was laden with parcels while Yachiru only seemed to be carrying a box.
 
“What's in the box that made it hard for you to open the door?” he asked Yachiru curiously. It was only a small box.
 
“I bought a present for Piecrust,” Yachiru smiled. “I didn't want to break it before I gave it to him.”
 
Madarame chuckled as Ayasegawa helped him unpack the food.
 
“What's so funny?” Ayasegawa asked.
 
“I don't think it will be that easy to break. Show the captain what the present is, Assistant Captain,” Madarame said.
 
Yachiru opened the box and thrust it under Zaraki's nose, excitedly. “Look Ken-chan. I saw these and immediately thought of Piecrust.” Inside the box were two dolls dressed in Shinigami uniforms. One, a male, wore a captain's coat. He appeared young and had spiky white hair. His zanpaku-to was worn on his back. The other doll was female, much taller than the male and wore an Assistant Captain's badge on the sash around her waist. Her shirt revealed a rather astounding cleavage. Zaraki wondered where they sold the dolls.
 
“I thought that Piecrust might be safer fighting these Shinigami,” Yachiru explained. “I didn't want to give him the 11th Division dolls. I thought 10th Division might be harmless.”
 
“It will probably be the closest he ever gets to Matsumoto, or any female,” Madarame joked. He smiled widely as his sally.
 
“Probably be the closest he gets to being able to win a fight against a captain, too,” Ayasegawa laughed. He took the box from Yachiru to have a closer look.
 
“Don't pick them up,” Yachiru complained as Madarame and Ayasegawa reached inside the box to pick up the dolls for closer examination. “If you want I'll buy you some for your birthdays.”
 
Madarame and Ayasegawa hastily gave the dolls back to Yachiru.
 
“No thanks, Assistant Captain. I was just curious. Actually I find them a little disturbing,” Ayasegawa said
 
“Do they have dolls of us?” Zaraki asked curiously. The thought of dolls in the image of him and Yachiru made him feel uneasy and slightly disgusted.
 
“Yes. They do, captain. They're quite popular. Actually we couldn't buy the 11th Division dolls as they had sold out.” Madarame seemed reluctant to provide the information. He looked at Zaraki and saw the expression on his face. “They're only a toy, Captain. It's nothing.”
 
Zaraki was not so sure. Briefly he wondered who would buy the dolls.
 
Yachiru looked at Madarame and Zaraki, her eyes expressing her confusion. “I'll give the dolls to Piecrust when he comes back. Then I can tell him to go and play with his dolls when he starts crying,” she said smugly. “I'm hungry. There was no food while you were at the Captains” meeting, Ken-chan. None of the other vice-captains wanted to play or fight. They only wanted to talk. That made me hungrier. I made Baldy get lots of food. And he bought me sweets because I fought Piecrust so well.”
 
Zaraki raised an eyebrow at Madarame. “I see,” was all he said.
 
Madarame looked a little embarrassed. “She deserved them. You would have been proud. She didn't lose her temper, well, not much.” He quickly busied himself arranging the food. He turned his face away from Zaraki.
 
“Why are you still talking?” Yachiru asked. “Let's eat.”
 
They are in silence until the first stage of hunger had been satisfied.
 
“One thing that bothers me, Captain,” Madarame said after a few minutes. “We never found your attacker. Should we station a guard outside your house?” He'd recovered his composure by this time and his concern showed in his face.
 
“That won't be necessary,” Zaraki said abruptly. He didn't want to talk about this now, or ever. He ate distractedly, hoping to discourage any further questions.
 
“Why not Ken-chan? Because you will cut the attacker this time? Did you manage to kill him last time? We didn't find a body.” Yachiru was very curious and it was obvious that she wanted an answer and would not let the matter rest until she received one.
 
“How are you going to avoid the questions this time, Kenny boy? You may fool the eye, but not the mind,” Atonomatsuri said.
 
Kenny boy? Zaraki swallowed hard at the appalling name. Maybe he should provide a small explanation. “It's a her, not a him,” Zaraki tried to hedge.
 
“Was it Rhubarb who attacked you?” Yachiru said eagerly. Her eyes gleamed at the thought of a new target. She quickly ate the last thing on her plate and opened the bag of lollies.
 
“It was not Retsu who attacked me. You should address her as Captain Unohana,” Zaraki reproved Yachiru, little hoping she would listen to him.
 
“If you don't mind me saying, Captain, you're dodging the subject. You did say if we had any questions we should ask you,” Madarame said casually. He glanced at Ayasegawa who nodded in agreement.
 
Atonomatsuri laughed gloatingly. “Which version of the truth are you going to tell them, Kenny boy? Or is it because of your aversion to truth? Hoist by your own petard. You said you'd tell them, and now they are asking. Remember, I won our battle.”
 
Zaraki shut his eyes, trying to think. How many times would he be forced to face the humiliating revelation? “The manifestation of my zanpaku-to attacked me,” he growled. Silence blanketed the room after the admission.
 
Zaraki opened his eyes to see three people staring at his zanpaku-to.
 
“I didn't know that could happen, Ken-chan,” Yachiru said in a small voice. Zaraki had not seen her so hesitant before. It seemed extraordinary that she seemed slightly intimidated by his zanpaku-to.
 
“Neither did I Yachiru,” Zaraki sighed heavily. Maybe the questions would stop soon.
 
“It's pretty unusual, but I'm sure it's happened before,” Ayasegawa said as he placed his empty plate on the table. It was obvious he was trying to reassure Yachiru, Zaraki, and himself.
 
“Don't bother lying. Look, I don't want to talk about that now. You don't need to place a guard outside my house. It won't happen again.”
 
“I hope,” he said silently to himself. By now he'd lost his appetite.
 
“Don't count on it Kenny. Faint hope never won fair lady. Or do I mean faint heart never won fair zanpaku-to?” Atonomatsuri's words may have been flippant, but a darker intent lay under the words. Zaraki tried to ignore the intent.
 
“There is something more important that I want to discuss before we talk about anything else. It's something that affects all of us. You might know something.” Zaraki was firm. This was something that required discussion as soon as possible. His zanpaku-to, the dolls and Piecrust were only secondary concerns.
 
“We're listening,” Madarame said. Ayasegawa and Yachiru and Madarame leaned forward to listen. They intently awaited his words. Yachiru was chewing a sweet loudly.
 
“I believe we have a spy from 12th Division in 11th Division. Kurotsuchi almost admitted it today,” Zaraki rumbled as quietly as he could. Instead of the outcry he expected, Zaraki noticed that his three friends were nodding.
 
“That would make a lot of sense,” Ayasegawa said, stealing a sweet from Yachiru despite her protests.
 
“Probably explain some of the things I've been noticing,” Madarame commented, also stealing a sweet from Yachiru who was distractedly slapping at Ayasegawa.
 
Hearing the last words and not noticing Madarame's theft, Yachiru's eyes gleamed. “What will we do with the spy when we find them? Can I choose, please, Ken-chan?” She popped another lolly in her mouth.
 
“I thought you would be surprised,” Zaraki muttered. He had been surprised, at first, but probably not as surprised as he might have been.
 
“With that guy, nothing would surprise me.” Madarame folded his arms and glanced at Ayasegawa and Yachiru. They both nodded in agreement.
 
The conversation was interrupted by a knock at the door. Yachiru leapt to her feet to open if. Her face fell when she saw who had knocked. “It's only Rhubarb,” she said.
 
“Hello Assistant Captain. I have something for you,” Retsu said and handed a very large bag of Konpeito to Yachiru. “I understand you like these.”
 
Yachiru's face took on a look of consideration. “These are all for me?”
 
“All of them,” Retsu replied.
 
Yachiru stuck out her bottom lip as she thought. “Is this a bribe?”
 
“Of course it is. I don't want you to call me Rhubarb anymore,” Retsu replied honestly. Zaraki felt like shaking his head at Retsu. She was being too honest.
 
A smile lit up Yachiru's face. “I prefer it when people tell the truth. Ken-chan hates liars. I'll stop calling you Rhubarb, but I want more Konpeito.”
 
“Don't demand bribes,” Zaraki said harshly. How many sweets could she consume? That bag, large as it was would probably be eaten within an hour or two.
 
Yachiru turned a startled face to Zaraki. “Why not?”
 
“Because it's not very honest. Why not call Captain Unohana by her proper title?” Zaraki thought he should at least remind his assistant captain of the correct protocol.
 
Yachiru's bottom lip wobbled. “I like giving people nicknames, Ken-chan. It's fun.” Zaraki ignored the bottom lip.
 
“I don't mind if she gives me a nickname,” Retsu said quickly. “I'm just not very fond of Rhubarb.” She smiled at Yachiru sweetly.
 
Yachiru smiled back at her. “I hate it. I'll think up another nickname for you. How about I call you Uno or Plaits or Lolly? I think I'll call you Lolly, because you gave me lollies.”
 
“I think I prefer Uno.” With slight desperation, Retsu suggested her preference.
 
“Nup. I'm going to call you Lolly,” Yachiru grinned at her. “It suits you, Lolly.”
 
Zaraki sighed. It could have been much worse. “Would you like to join us, Captain Unohana? Are you hungry? I think we've some food. Sit down,” Zaraki invited indicating a chair.
 
Retsu sat in the chair he indicated and Ayasegawa handed her a plate of food. “Did I interrupt anything?” Retsu asked.
 
“I was telling them about the spy,” Zaraki replied. Maybe Retsu had some ideas that might help them.
 
“Ken-chan. You shouldn't mention that,” Yachiru was shocked at his open admission. Madarame and Ayasegawa also seemed a little surprised at Zaraki's honesty with the other captain.
 
“I know about the spy in 11th Division,” Retsu said quietly. “I believe Captain Kurotsuchi has placed a spy in 4th Division, also.”
 
“He said something at the Captain's meeting that made me think that he's planted spies in our divisions. He was focused on something else at the time,” Zaraki explained. He wanted his friends to fully understand the situation.
 
“Now I understand,” his frown clearing, Ayasegawa nodded. “It seems strange that the captain would admit anything like that, unless he was preoccupied.”
 
“The problem is, how do we find out who the spy is?” Madarame asked. He seemed to be thinking about the problem seriously.
 
Yachiru squeezed her face into a wicked looking expression. “It's Piecrust. It must be Piecrust!” she exclaimed.
 
Hearing the name reminded Zaraki of some other news he had to tell his friends. “Even if it is Piecrust, we have to keep him.”
 
“What! You're kidding,” was Madarame's reaction.
 
“Please, let it not be true,” Ayasegawa pleaded. He had paled at the thought.
 
“Can I play with him again?” Yachiru asked.
 
“The Captain-General has told me we must keep Piecrust. None of the other Divisions will accept him, including your's Captain Unohana.” Zaraki felt annoyed that he had been forced into this position.
 
“He would be of little use to 4th Division,” Retsu said quietly, eating delicately.
 
“He'll be of little use to us.” Madarame was on his feet as he said the words, as if he wanted to take action. Realising there was nothing he could do, he sat down again.
 
“Don't worry, Madarame. I've been instructed to train him, personally. You won't have to work with him again,” Zaraki said resentfully. Remembering the instructions from the Captain-General was worse than the news of the spy.
 
“You can't waste your time on that jerk,” Ayasegawa shrilled.
 
“Is the Captain-General out of his mind? I was thinking I'd get Aramaki to take over Piecrust's training. I thought he could at least train him to clean up, or sweep, or something.” Madarame voice trailed off, realising that this was not going to happen.
 
“Will you train me at the same time, Ken-chan?” Yachiru requested.
 
“Oh, dear,” said Retsu, as she finished her meal. “I will keep a room available for Piecrust on a permanent basis, if you will be training him, Captain Zaraki. Maybe I'll have a name plate made for his door.” The four members of 11th Division looked at the Captain of 4th Division, astonished at the comment. Then they all started laughing, including Retsu.
 
“Hey, Captain. Got any potions to make him less of a jerk?” Zaraki asked.
 
“Unfortunately, no, or I would have used it before now. I think we should discuss the spies. If we can come up with a strategy together, then we might be able to work out a method to identify them,” Retsu said.
 
“The problem is we don't know how long the spy has been here. It might be one of the new recruits; it could be one of the established Shinigami. Hell, it could even be one of you.” Zaraki was aware that his last comment would gain a reaction and he was correct.
 
“Why would I spy for someone I despise? You have never questioned my loyalty until now, Captain. I understand but I am also injured by the accusation.” Bright colour stood in Ayasegawa's cheeks. His eyes were vivid with anger.
 
“I don't think the captain is questioning our loyalty, Yumichika. I think he's trying to indicate that it could be anyone,” Madarame reassured his friend.
 
“You don't believe I'm the spy, do you Ken-chan?” Yachiru looked a little lost at the possibility.
 
“Don't be stupid. I don't think any of you are the spy. We met before we came to the Seireitei. I'm just trying to point out that we can't dismiss anyone from suspicion. I don't think it can be Piecrust, unless he is a better actor than he is a Shinigami. Do you have any thoughts, Captain?” Zaraki glanced at the other captain who was following the discussion intently.
 
Retsu thought for a moment before she spoke. “I feel like celebrating tonight. Would you all like to join me in the nearest sake house? I'll pay for the drinks.”
 
The four member of 11th Division looked at the 4th Division Captain as if she had suddenly gone mad. Retsu looked at Zaraki seriously and raised an eyebrow. Not understanding, Zaraki opened his mouth to question her only to see her shake her head. What the hell was going on?
 
“I never pass up the offer of a free drink.” Madarame seemed to think that it was a good idea.
 
“As long as you're paying, I'll come,” Ayasegawa agreed.
 
Zaraki nodded slowly. “Yeah. Why not?”
 
As a group they left the office, Yachiru carrying her lollies and the bag of Konpeito, which she was hastily eating. They went to the nearest sake house where they were shown to a private room. By unspoken agreement they didn't talk except to place their orders.
 
Retsu waited until they had been served before she said anything of consequence. “I thought we should leave your office, Captain Zaraki for the following reasons. Have you considered the possibility that the spy is not a person? The Captain of the 12th Division is in charge of research and development. Remember, he told you that he was keeping his eye on you. That could mean anything. Has the Captain ever visited you in your office? Do you keep your office locked when you're not there?”
 
Zaraki bit the inside of his cheek. “Kurotsuchi has never visited me while I was in my office. And I don't keep my office locked. Who'd want to steal paperwork? I'd probably help them steal it if it meant I didn't have to do it.”
 
“If he has visited your office he may have found a place to conceal something that would record your conversation, or even film you. When I thought about it, I decided we should continue our discussion somewhere that the good captain would not consider it worthwhile to place listening devices.” Retsu calmly sipped her drink after she completed her explanation.
 
“Kurotsuchi was quick to ask if I'd achieved bankai. Almost like he knew the answer. He would know if was listening in last night. When you asked if we wanted to celebrate, I wondered what was going on. It seemed odd that you suddenly decided you wanted to celebrate anything with 11th Division, unless it was that Piecrust wasn't being reassigned to your Division,” Zaraki said finally understanding.
 
“Are you saying that isn't a good reason to celebrate?” Retsu smiled broadly at Zaraki. “If the Captain-General had told you Piecrust was reassigned, wouldn't you be celebrating now?”
 
“Celebrating? Damn right I would.” If only he could get the jerk reassigned. That would make his problems seem that much smaller. “We'll have to check the office for anything that could be reporting back to Kurotsuchi tomorrow. At the same time I think we'll check for human agents. Kurotsuchi probably wouldn't use a person because he'd be worried about anyone having that sort of power over him, but I'm not sure. Watch for anyone who asks too many questions. As for the office we'll clear everything out and repaint it, but not pink.” Zaraki glared at Yachiru who seemed to be ready to make that suggestion.
 
“A good idea, Captain. Maybe you would allow me to decide the colour scheme and furniture. If I'm spending time in there doing paperwork, I want my surroundings to complement me.” Ayasegawa rested his chin prettily on his hands and fluttered his eyelashes.
 
“Okay. I want to keep my desk, chair, and sake cabinet. If the room is pink, I'll repaint it myself, with your blood, using your hair as the paint brush. Understand, 5th seat?” Zaraki liked the idea of a fresh office. Since he'd become captain, the office had changed very little.
 
“There won't be any pink, Captain. The colour of dried blood does not appeal to me.” Ayasegawa seemed to take the threat seriously.
 
“I'm hurt at your rejection of the most beautiful colour pink. I'm pink. Are you rejecting me again Kenny? Each man kills the thing he loves.”
 
“But I don't love you, Atonomatsuri. We've had this conversation before. I'm not sure I even like you and I don't want a pink office,” Zaraki replied.
 
“I'll look at the chair, desk and cabinet very closely to make sure they're safe.” Pouring another drink, Madarame looked intently at his captain. “If there's anything wrong with them, I'll have to destroy them.”
 
“Blast. If you have to,” Zaraki sighed. Bloody Kurotsuchi. Why did the clown have to cause him this much trouble. He was accustomed to his furniture. “It means keeping the office locked when I'm not there. If I give you keys, you'll have to keep them secure. I thought we weren't under threat from within. I was wrong.”
 
“The price of peace is eternal vigilance.” Atonomatsuri again had to add to the conversation.
 
“Thanks for the adage. Now, shut it. I'm trying to talk.” Zaraki wished that bird would be quiet. What use were adages?
 
“You should listen to me Kenny. However if one does not plan and takes the enemy lightly, One will certainly be captured by him. I remember you reading that in The Art of War many times.” Atonomatsuri's voice was serious.
 
“Of course I read it. It's good advice. Do I have to remind you to shut up?” Zaraki was becoming exasperated at the regular interruptions.
 
“You will talk to me later. There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.” The heavy emphasis made Zaraki wonder what the vulture intended.
 
“I might do the same. I cannot remember the last time I had my office painted. It will give Iemura something else to organise and might make him focus on something different. I'm certain he will take on that project,” Retsu said thoughtfully. “I'll have to find some method of identifying any devices planted elsewhere.”
 
“Will you paint your office, pink, Lolly? I like pink,” Yachiru's face wore a pleading expression as she stuffed more Konpeito into her mouth.
 
“Not the whole office.” Uncertainty was evident in Retsu's voice. “I might have some pink, maybe on the curtains.”
 
Yachiru grinned at her. “Will you keep a big bag of Konpeito, for when I visit?”
 
“Do you plan to visit often?” Retsu seemed surprised at hearing this request.
 
“I'll probably visit you nearly every day if Ken-chan is training Piecrust. As a good assistant captain, I should take an interest in any wounded members of my division.” Yachiru said the words virtuously but was smiling widely.
 
Zaraki looked at his assistant captain. Sometimes she surprised him with her ability to manipulate people. Madarame had bought her the lollies and the food she wanted and he was less susceptible than most. For a brief moment Zaraki wondered how often she manipulated him. “You're asking for bribes again, Yachiru. You know how I feel about that,” he reminded her.
 
Yachiru's face expressed a hurt innocence that almost convinced Zaraki. He frowned at her sternly only to have her smile happily back at him.
 
“You never answered my question, Ken-chan. Will you train me at the same time you train Piecrust?”
 
“I don't think it's a good idea if you train him alone. He'll become even more arrogant if you take a special interest in him. What the fool's got to be so proud of, I don't know. It's almost like he thinks he's privileged. Maybe we should train with you when you train Piecrust. I need a work out if we're getting ready for the Arrancar. How about it Captain? Let's make the jerks life hell.” Madarame seemed to be seriously considering the matter.
 
Zaraki nodded thoughtfully as he stroked his chin. Piecrust's self-importance had not gone unnoticed. He didn't want it to get out of hand. “Yeah. Let's do it. The Captain-General can't complain if I do it that way. We'll have to try to train him. It won't be easy. He has no fighting skills. I think that even Aramaki could beat him without trying. He's trying to copy other people and hasn't developed his own style. Hey, Madarame, that reminds me. Your fight with him. You always told me you don't do kido. How's that work?”
 
Madarame smiled slyly. “One of my problems with kido is I can't remember the damned words. I just repeated the words the jerk said. I'm not even sure they worked. The kicker is, I think he just believed they did and acted as if he were under the spell. If so, the guy's too suggestible.”
 
The room erupted in laughter with the exception of Retsu who seemed eager to find out the source of the joke. “What happened? I wasn't there.”
 
Briefly Zaraki outlined the sequence of events. By the time he had finished Retsu was chuckling.
 
Yachiru was yawning loudly and looking very sleepy. “I think I want to go to bed, Ken-chan. Good night every one.” Yachiru got to her feet and wandered out of the room taking what remained of her lollies with her.
 
“Will she be okay to walk home, by herself?” Retsu seemed concerned about the assistant captain.
 
“You saw what she did to Piecrust and I doubt she was really trying. Anyone who tries to attack her will end up visiting your division or being measured for a shroud. I've talked enough of Piecrust and all the other stuff. We're here to celebrate. Let's celebrate. Madarame and Ayasegawa, I taught Captain Unohana some of those drinking games. Want to play?” Zaraki relaxed in the company of his friends and now he wanted some fun.
 
“Are you sure that's a good idea, Captain Zaraki. I remember the hangover I had last time.” Retsu paused for a moment and then a broad smile crossed her face. “If we're playing drinking games, I insist everyone calls me Retsu.”
 
“Only if you call me Zaraki again,” he grinned at her.
 
“How good is she, Captain? Is she as good as me?” Ayasegawa smiled at his captain, winningly.
 
“You'll find out.” Zaraki prepared to enjoy himself. He would think about Atonomatsuri later. At the moment he was enjoying her silence.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's note:
I get the feeling people might not like Kurotsuchi. Good.
Yes, Zaraki recognised the quotes from Shakespeare in the last chapter. I thought they were very well known quotes and most people would know the source. If I was wrong, sorry.
The next chapter may provide further explanation about Zaraki's past.
Thank you to bairdie, yuwa and Star Uchiha for the reviews. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
Please review.
MS