Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Captivity and Compensation ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters. I did create Atonomatsuri (the bird) and Piecrust (the jerk).
 
Captivity and Compensation
 
When he awoke, Zaraki was reluctant to open his eyes. The blackness behind his lids seemed preferable to viewing his mind again. He thought he'd been returned to his world, but he didn't feel optimistic that Atonomatsuri had left him there. For a few minutes he used his senses. Touch assured him that he was lying in bed, a sheet covering him. The mattress under him felt familiar. He moved and heard the rustle of material as the sheet was displaced while he rearranged himself. The sheets felt damp. He remembered his nightmare and guessed that the perspiration had not yet dried. The sheet seemed to cling to him slightly.
 
Listening to the sounds from outside, he recognised them as those he normally heard when he woke. The faint sound of a breeze and the voices of people greeting each other as they passed could be faintly distinguished as he listened. The noises were familiar, the sounds he would normally hear in the early morning.
 
He breathed in the familiar scent of his bedroom: the smell of wood, fabric, sword polish and the gel he used on his hair to make it stand in the spikes he affected. He could not recall any memorable scents when he was taken into his mind. He tried to blunt his senses when he was there.
 
All this made him certain he was not still stuck in his mind with the unstable vulture. Slowly he opened his eyes and frowned at the ceiling. It was white. Was his ceiling white? Why a white ceiling? It seemed pretty dull, but still it was preferable to the broken fragments of planets, circling haphazardly as they wheeled through the anarchy that was his psyche. A flat white ceiling that did not offer any problems or concerns. It asked no questions or tried to overwhelm his with contradictory information. White. The colour should be changed. After Ayasegawa redecorated his office, if he liked the colour scheme, he'd get him to paint the ceiling something other than white. The redecoration of his office was due to start today.
 
Thinking about the coming day and his 5th seat made Zaraki feel like he'd forgotten something important. What was it? Something the Captain-General had told him. Zaraki continued to stare at the white ceiling as he tried to remember. The interruption last night and the realisation that his office might be under surveillance had driven the matter out of his mind. White. Something to do with being at 4th Division.
 
All of a sudden he remembered and sat upright, fast. “Ayasegawa has to be in the cells today because of that incident with stupid Kurotsuchi. There was the curfew thing as well. I forgot to tell him last night. I'll have to let him know, as soon as possible.” Zaraki tried to get out of the bed. The sheets seemed reluctant to release him from their soft, damp embrace. He pulled at them and heard a ripping sound as the cloth tore. Swearing under his breath, Zaraki hoped that the sheets would be changed today. They'd been soaked in sweat from his dream and although he wasn't superstitious, he saw them as unlucky. Maybe he'd just throw them out. There was little point in repairing sheets that were torn in two. Zaraki realised he was thinking about sheets and shook his head in repugnance. First colour schemes, redecoration, white ceilings, pink and black vultures and now he was thinking about sheets. This did not convince him that his mind was being repaired. These thoughts seemed to indicate the opposite. Sheets, for the sake of Mephistopheles! Next he'd be contemplating curtains, flower arrangements or something else nauseatingly domestic. It must be the influence of the insect infested vulture.
 
Tossing the sheets to one side he washed and dressed, spending the time to get his hair arranged to his satisfaction. He then donned his eye patch and went in search of Ayasegawa. It was early, so it was likely he was still asleep. Zaraki made his way to Ayasegawa's quarters hurriedly. The streets were quiet. The sun was partially visible over the horizon and a chorus of birdsong filled the air. The air was fresh and a gentle wind wafted past him.
 
“Damn birds are making too much noise. Birds are a nuisance.” Zaraki thought as he registered the sound.
 
When he arrived at Ayasegawa's quarters, he opened the door without knocking and yelled, “Wake up and get dressed. I have to talk to you.” He didn't bother looking in. If the guy was sleeping with someone, he didn't want to know. Gossip about who was sleeping with who didn't interest him. It was just so much useless information.
 
Five minutes later, Zaraki impatiently knocked on the door.
 
“Yes, Captain. I am dressing. Please be patient.” Ayasegawa sounded a little put out by the reminder
 
Zaraki looked at the sky and the surrounding buildings. He hated waiting for anyone. The sky was blue. The buildings were there, not doing anything special. They were white. That colour again. Why was everything black and white? The uniforms, the buildings, the definition of right and wrong. Maybe that was why Kyoraku wore the flowered coat, as a protest against the constant contrast of black and white. He would definitely get his ceiling painted a different colour and his office had to be something other than white. Grey was also out. He tapped his foot wishing he'd something to do while he was waiting. This thinking was pointless. What did it matter what colour anything was? He looked at the sky again and squinted against the sunshine. How long was it going to take this guy to get dressed? He didn't even have to put bells in his hair and Zaraki felt like he'd been waiting for an hour so far.
 
Standing around, waiting was tedious. It would be better if there was someone to talk to.
 
“You can always talk to me, Kenny. Never speak ill of yourself; your friends will always say enough on that subject. I just thought you needed a little reminder of how important speech is. What do you want to talk about?” Atonomatsuri almost sounded eager to converse. Remembering his last interchange with her, made Zaraki pause.
 
“Come on Kenny. Talk to me,” Atonomatsuri cajoled. “Say what you mean, but mean what you say. I helped you last night didn't I? Show some gratitude.”
 
Zaraki almost let out a yell at the last remark. “Helped me? I worked it out myself. How did you help me? You had to tell me, for some reason you won't disclose, but even then you didn't make it easy. Confound it, you flying flea circus. I don't see why you expect gratitude.”
 
“Deny that you managed to focus your reiatsu.” The short succinct sentence was unusual.
 
“I'd already managed it once. Even you admitted that. You didn't help. Just gave me some garbled double talk about the usual rubbish. I'm not talking to you. Shut your yapping beak and find someone else to annoy.” Once more Zaraki was reminded of the futility in trying to argue with the vulture. He could almost predict that she was going to annoy him about some trivial issue. Distracting himself, he wondered when he would have a chance of trying out the new, useable form of his zanpaku-to. He'd hoped to have the time today, but he knew that events might prevent him. Life was complicated when there were underlying machinations he was still trying to comprehend.
 
Atonomatsuri coughed and said lightly, “I can only talk to you, Kenny. I seek not to aggravate; I simply advise and enlighten. If you are too stubborn to understand and appreciate my help and generosity, I am broken.”
 
“I wish you were,” Zaraki muttered.
 
He heard the sound of a door opening and saw his 5th seat emerging from his quarters. Ayasegawa looked fresh and his uniform was immaculate. His hair was perfectly arranged and he appeared relaxed as he walked gracefully toward his captain. Zaraki felt like a bag of dirty laundry next to him, but that feeling passed without it even registering.
 
Why worry about his appearance? If he cared about that, he'd have obtained a new captain's coat before this. The one he wore was a badge of honour. It restated that he was the only captain who had obtained his position by defeating the previous holder of the title. Even if he had a new coat, he would make it resemble this one. He wouldn't let anyone forget his origins. That would be false and a denial of whom he was.
 
“As honoured as I am that you came to wake me personally, Captain, I must admit I am curious as to the reason. Is there another problem? Is our favourite captain paying you unwelcome attention once more? It's a pity you're so attractive to him. Maybe you should explain to him you're not that type of captain.” Ayasegawa smiled sightly at his attempt at humour.
 
Zaraki frowned heavily. He didn't find that remark amusing. It was revolting. “It does have something to do with Kurotsuchi. You are to be confined to the cells today and you're under curfew for a week. Curfew doesn't apply if you're with me, so last night shouldn't be an issue.”
 
Ayasegawa's eyebrows lifted so high that they nearly disappeared into his hairline. “What have I done to offend you so much that I need to be confined to the cells? I thought I would start redecorating your office today.”
 
“I didn't order it, you twit. Kurotsuchi complained to the Captain-General about that night in 4th Division. He was whining about the fact that you drew you zanpaku-to on a superior officer. You're not the only one to be confined to a cell. That guy from 4th Division will be confined as well. It's only for a day. I wanted to argue, but it's not a serious punishment. I'll bring you the paperwork so you have something to do.” Zaraki grinned at the thought.
 
Ayasegawa sucked in his cheeks. He seemed to be considering his options. Zaraki watched the play of expressions cross his face. He wondered how long this was going to take.
 
“A case of sake, dinner tonight and private bathhouse privileges for a month. Oh, and a weeks leave in the human world with some money and I'll do it without complaining.” Ayasegawa laid out his price.
 
“Didn't you hear me talk to Yachiru about bribery? It's not honest.” Zaraki couldn't prevent the smile at the list provided.
 
“It's not bribery. It's payment for the paperwork, and the indignity of being placed in a cell. You're making all sorts of new friends recently, aren't you Captain?” Ayasegawa smiled at his captain, showing his sharp white teeth. “Why should I suffer unrewarded because the clown captain can't withstand your irresistible charm?”
 
“I'm tired of that joke already. You know I can't stand the idiot. That last comment cancelled any possibility of your request being granted.” The thought of the clown captain this early in the morning made Zaraki feel nauseous. As he considered the matter, he realised that he would prefer to talk to Atonomatsuri than Kurotsuchi.
 
“That's not fair, captain. I was there to protect you and I did. If you want me to do the paperwork while I spend the day in a cell, I want some form of compensation.” Ayasegawa seemed indignant at the denial of his demands.
 
“You ask too much.” Zaraki looked closely at his 5th seat. If he made any further comments about Kurotsuchi, he'd get nothing except curfew for a month. “Ask for less.”
 
Ayasegawa rested his chin on his hand as he considered the issue. He pursed his lips and his eyes seemed to be looking at something only he could see. “Two days in the human world with enough money to have fun and a case of sake, the good stuff and I want to go out tonight, even thought I'm under curfew. You'll pay.”
 
Zaraki had guessed this would be the demand. The most expensive requests. It didn't matter. He felt he owed him. “Okay. We better move quickly. We don't want to keep the Captain-General waiting.”
 
They walked up the street, Zaraki striding at his normal pace, Ayasegawa hurrying to keep up. The street was less quiet and they passed a number of shinigami who called greetings or smiled at them. As they turned the corner, Zaraki noticed Madarame ambling along, his hands tucked into his sash. He stopped as he saw Ayasegawa and Zaraki emerge from the side street.
 
“I was coming to visit you, Yumichika. Good morning, Captain. You're up early again this morning. Where are you going in such a hurry?” Madarame enquired politely. He glanced from Zaraki to Ayasegawa and back again as if wondering what they were doing together.
 
“I'm being confined to the cells today.” Ayasegawa was brief and to the point. They continued walking and Madarame fell into step with them.
 
“What? You? You never do anything wrong, well not so it's noticed. I don't believe this.” Madarame sounded indignant at the revelation. “Let him off, Captain.”
 
“Not my choice, Madarame. It's because of that idiot, Kurotsuchi. Ayasegawa and a shinigami from 4th Division are confined to the cells for the day and are under curfew for the week. The clown captain whined to the Captain-General that he was attacked. At least Ayasegawa has agreed to do the paper work.”
 
“The clown captain again. I want to see the colour of that jerk's intestines. I'm sure they're full of s…” Madarame stopped himself just in time. “Sorry, Captain.” Madarame did not sound very apologetic.
 
They walked in silence, Zaraki reflecting on how much influence the 12th Division captain was having in his life, on his Division. He'd prefer to choose who he would have influencing him. He was the captain, damn it! The clown captain was a worthless menace.
 
Rounding another corner, Zaraki saw Yachiru skipping down the street. “Ken-chan, I was looking for you. I went to your place but you weren't home. Where are you going? Can I come too? Is it a party, or a fight?” While she was talking she leapt onto Zaraki's back and took her usual position.
 
As he explained the situation again, as briefly as he could, Zaraki pondered the circumstances. It was time for some comeback. How could he best discomfort and disconcert Kurotsuchi with the least amount of blame? If he could think of something that might focus his attention elsewhere. But what were his weak points?
 
While Zaraki thought about it he realised he'd never seen the captain without his make-up. He wondered briefly what he looked like. Would he look normal without all the camouflage, or would he appear as a monster? The guy was reportedly a poor substitute for the brilliance of Kisuke Urahara. Why the Captain-General had allowed that creative genius to leave unchallenged he didn't know. They were poorly served by the replacement.
 
Kurotsuchi's greed was renowned. He did not like to share information, or release any new innovations that would benefit him if he kept them back. He had tried to tap into the files left by Urahara, but failed to break the encoding that protected them. Zaraki remembered the times that the 12th Division Captain had begged the Captain-General leave to abduct the former captain to interrogate him. He'd tried to disguise it as something else: regaining Seireitei's honour, recovering a dangerous defector and other assorted excuses. If Urahara came back, Kurotsuchi would have to get the information quickly and kill him. Remembering that Urahara still had friends in the Gotei 13, made Zaraki realise that this action would be foolish. There would be consequences if Urahara was killed. Greed for knowledge and power was overriding Kurotsuchi's common sense.
 
“When you're released tonight, why don't we return to that sake house? I feel like a game of Cheat. We didn't finish last night. I'll pay.” If Kurotsuchi was trying to undermine 11th Division, they needed to plan. His office wasn't safe and he wanted the combined devious minds of his friends to help him create a strategy. This would be part of the reward for Ayasegawa. Maybe he would invite Retsu. She was unexpectedly tricky, and had a score to settle with the clown captain. She might be able to contribute some ideas.
 
He felt the silence as his subordinates registered that he was again seeking a private conference.
 
“Yeah, fine. I've got nothing planned.” Madarame's answer was carefully casual.
 
“Can we invite Lolly? She might bring some more lollies for me? I'll ask her when I go to visit Piecrust today.” Yachiru's greed at the thought of more sweets was obvious. Zaraki grinned. She was making this too easy.
 
“I suppose you'll wish to discuss colour schemes at the same time?” Ayasegawa offered another distracting comment.
 
“I've thought about that. I don't want white, black, grey or pink. And no orange.” Zaraki remembered that conversation from last night.
 
“You're making this more difficult, Captain. I will consider it a challenge.” Ayasegawa pressed his lips together. He almost frowned, but stopped himself in time.
 
A further thought struck Zaraki. “What about the training? What's happening with that today?” Training was essential. They'd made a good start, but it was vital that the discipline was maintained.
 
“I gave them the morning off to talk to their zanpaku-to's. Surely you've noticed the increased babble and noise. Hearing that you had started talking to yours has really motivated the Division. No one has requested that they be allowed to use kido. I wonder why.” Madarame smiled nastily as he made the final comment.
 
For a second Zaraki wondered why he'd mentioned kido. Then he remembered the `fight' between Madarame and Piecrust. Piecrusts' dismal failure in his use of kido plainly entertained Madarame. It amused Zaraki also. He smiled, and then he laughed. “That comes as no shock. I wonder how many learnt the first biding spell from your little display yesterday. That means we have training this afternoon. Anything special planned.” He looked covertly at his third seat.
 
“Yeah, I have something in mind. How about we fight, Captain? Let me have a real challenge.” Madarame did not look at his captain as he made the suggestion. Zaraki wondered why. As he walked, he thought about the proposal.
 
“You don't want me to summon the new form of my blade in front of everyone, do you? I don't want to go public with it yet.”
 
“I want to see it before the rest of the Division,” Ayasegawa protested.
 
“No. I didn't mean that at all.” Madarame stopped walking. The other stopped and looked at him.
 
“Recently you've only been fighting people with basic skills. They don't last more than a minute at most. All the members of the Division are in awe of your fighting expertise, but they might forget how good you are. If you fight me, they will get a better appreciation of the skills they should try for. Anyway, fighting Yumichika made me remember how much I enjoy a good fight. I hadn't had a decent challenge since the ryoka left. How about it, Captain?” Madarame was intense in his request.
 
Zaraki was taken aback. Madarame was correct. It had been some time since he felt as if he faced a challenge. Fighting the bird was hard because of all the other factors, but he didn't enjoy fighting her. Either she gave up, or talked too much, or poisoned him. A good fight would stretch his muscles and help him prepare for wielding his new zanpaku-to.
 
“Okay. Sounds like fun. You won't hold back, will you?” He gave his third seat a searching look and commenced walking again. His subordinates followed.
 
“Unfair. I want to see the fight too.” Ayasegawa seemed petulant at being excluded.
 
“I'll fight both of you tomorrow. That should be entertaining, oh, yeah, and instructive. Are you game?” This plan was even better.
 
“If that's all you're prepared to offer, then I reluctantly agree.” Ayasegawa, looked ahead and announced, “We're here.”
 
Guards emerged from the building and took Ayasegawa inside. The Captain-General appeared through the doorway, obviously alerted by the guards.
 
“Thank you for making this easy, Captain Zaraki. I will release Ayasegawa at night fall. I would ask that you return to escort him as he is under curfew. I imagine you will be sending the paperwork for him to complete?” The Captain-General guessed correctly.
 
“Uh, yeah. It'll keep him busy.” Zaraki looked vigilantly at the Captain-General. He felt there was something he needed to say, but couldn't think what it was.
 
“Ah, I see the 4th Division Captain is accompanying her delinquent subordinate here. That is good.” Yamamoto seemed pleased at the prompt arrival.
 
Zaraki turned around to see Retsu walking at a dignified pace with Hanatoro following a few steps behind. He did not look happy but Retsu's face was calm.
 
“I protest this incarceration. I really should be in the cell with those charged.” Retsu looked directly at the Captain General.
 
“We've already talked about this Captain Unohana. We both know the reasons for this and I do not wish to discuss them in public. I am investigating that other matter you brought to my attention and will let you know, in due course, my decision.”
 
Retsu nodded in reply. Her face remained serene, except for a spark of anger in her eyes.
 
Guards appeared on either side of Hanatoro and he quietly followed them into the building. He gave one brief backward look at his captain and she smiled encouragingly at him.
 
“I will see you both here at nightfall to collect your subordinates.” With those parting words, the Captain-General turned around and re-entered 1st Division.
 
“Hi Lolly. Do you have any lollies for me?” Yachiru popped up from behind Zaraki's back and joyfully greeted the Captain of the 4th Division.
 
“Oh, hello Assistant Captain. I didn't see you there. No, I don't have any lollies with me, but I do have some in my office for when you visit today.” Retsu smiled sweetly at the pink haired girl. She gave a sideway glance at Zaraki. “Hello Captain, Madarame. I trust you are both well?”
 
“We're going out again tonight to that place we went last night. Do you want to come? You can bring me more lollies. Ken-chan's going to pay, aren't you Ken-chan?” Yachiru chattered happily almost bouncing up and down on Zaraki's back.
 
Retsu appeared uncertain about accepting the invitation. She looked at Zaraki and Madarame as if measuring their feelings on the matter. “I'm not sure.”
 
Zaraki nodded slightly at her. He didn't want to make this seem important to any observers.
 
“We're taking Ayasegawa out for a drink. He hates being locked up and I think the punishment is unjust. It won't break curfew if he's with me. You can bring Hanatoro. And I am paying. Hell, I'll even buy dinner. I owe you a meal for the one you made for me. We need to talk. I've had some ideas about the matter we were discussing last night.”
 
Retsu looked at Zaraki closely. He raised his eyebrows at her and bared his teeth in a travesty of a smile. Comprehension filled her eyes.
 
“If you're paying, how can I refuse? We'll meet here and go there directly.” She smiled at Yachiru. “Do you want to come back with me now for the lollies? I think Piecrust deserves a visitor like you. He caused a few problems last night. I'll be returning him to your division tomorrow, whether he's healed completely or not. I've already had to prevent some people from feeding him a strong laxative. They argued it was fair payback for how he's been treating them. If I don't get back soon I fear he may end up staying with us longer.” Her tone was rueful. Zaraki wondered if she regretted preventing members from her division from taking revenge on the jerk.
 
Yachiru grinned at Retsu. “Yep. I'd love to come. I've got a present for Piecrust, but I'll give it to him later.” She jumped down from Zaraki's back and walked up to Retsu. “Come on Lolly,” she said tugging her by the hand. “I want to get back and watch Ken-chan fight Baldy. Ken-chan will have fun because he likes a good fight, but he won't try to kill Baldy. Maybe he won't enjoy it so much. Do you want to come and watch? I know who will win. Everyone knows who'll win, but we could always bet on how long it takes.” Still chattering she pulled Retsu away, obviously intent on her sweets.
 
Madarame watched them leave, a frown wrinkling his forehead. He seemed confused during the exchange; as if he felt he was missing something. “Captain, I hope you don't mind me asking, but what's happening with the 4th Division Captain? You visit her, she visits you.”
 
“We both have a problem with a certain captain.” Zaraki hissed the answer at his third seat. “We're working together. She helped me when I was trying to find out how to talk to my zanpaku-to. She's a friend.”
 
“But you don't make friends as a rule. Not in other Divisions.” Madarame was staring at his captain as if trying to comprehend this change.
 
Zaraki wondered what Madarame was trying to say. “Get to the point, Madarame. You're not making much sense.” He started to walk back to 11th Division.
 
Madarame seemed nonplussed. “I don't know. Before you tried to talk to your zanpaku-to, you didn't talk to anyone outside our division unless you had to. Now you seem to talk to Captain Unohana nearly every day.”
 
“She helped me and she's trying to help me control my reiat…. Damn, I should have told her I don't need that any more.” Zaraki walked on thinking that he had to tell Retsu he had a method for controlling his reiatsu. It was good he didn't have to rely on some potion or drug to control the size of the blade, but he needed to practice.
 
“Practice makes perfect, Kenny.” Atonomatsuri sniggered in his mind.
 
Zaraki ignored her comment.
 
“What don't you need anymore?” Madarame seemed very interested in the last remark. His eyes were fixed on his captain as they walked through the now crowded streets.
 
There seemed to be a number of stalls selling items, but Zaraki wasn't interested and had no desire to purchase anything. Irritated, he did not answer Madarame's question. “Why is it so busy today? Why are all these people swarming around when they should be working?” Zaraki was not happy about the crowds. No one was stupid enough to get in his way, but he had to moderate his speed to navigate the streets.
 
“It's market day, Captain. It happens once a fortnight.” Madarame seemed astonished that his captain had forgotten such a salient fact. “There's the stall that sold those dolls to Yachiru.” Madarame indicated a stall to the left.
 
Zaraki came to a sudden stop and looked in the direction indicated. He quickly walked over to the stall and looked at the dolls on the table. He flushed when he saw one wearing a white coat which had black spiked hair and an eye patch. He also noticed another doll, one with messy orange hair and an overly large zanpaku-to. He scowled at the Ichigo doll. That kid had kept disappearing when he tried to fight him. It almost seemed like he didn't want to fight him. It must have been coincidence.
 
Looking at the rest of the dolls, he noticed all the captains were represented, even the traitors. All the assistant captains were there, as well as a few other well known shinigami. He picked up a doll which had a bald head and looked at it. He stared at Madarame, then back at the doll, comparing the two. Madarame coloured and grabbed the doll from his captain, obviously angry.
 
“I didn't see this last night,' he said looking at the doll with loathing.
 
Scowling harder, Zaraki looked at the stall owner. The stall owner looked unnerved. He kept glancing from the 11th Division Captain doll to Zaraki and back again. He swallowed and then tried to stretch his lips in a smile.
 
“How's business?” Zaraki asked heavily. He stared hard at the man.
 
The stall keeper was squat and gave the appearance of a man who enjoyed his food. His face was round and a few double chins drooped down, all but obscuring his neck. His shiny black eyes matched his shiny black hair. Obviously a merchant who knew how to turn a profit, judging from his expensive clothes and demeanour.
 
“Very good, Captain, Sir. The dolls displayed are the last of the stock I have. They're quite popular. Your doll has been selling very well.” The stall keeper tried to smile sycophantically at Zaraki. His lips stretched wide, but his eyes were shadowed with panic.
 
“Do you have permission to sell these?” Zaraki barked the question at the stall keeper.
 
“Do I need permission?” The stall keeper asked apprehensively. His eyes did not meet Zaraki's but kept glancing in different directions, as if looking for an escape route.
 
“From the Captain-General and from all the captains and assistant captains. Yeah, and from Madarame here. You're selling their images, so I think you need their permission. I'll ask it you want, or you can sell me all your stock for a substantial discount.” Looking at the dolls had given Zaraki an idea. All the details were not there yet, but he'd work it out in time.
 
Madarame touched his captain's arm. “What are you doing, Captain?” he hissed. “Why do you want all these dolls?”
 
“I never thought you'd want to play with dollies, Kenny. When folly passes by, reason draws back. I wonder at your reason, or have you lost your reason?” Atonomatsuri was laughing loudly in his mind.
 
Zaraki ignored both of them, staring hard at the stall keeper. He'd explain later, but for now he didn't want to take his attention off the man in front of him.
 
“For you Captain Zaraki, I'm prepared to take a loss,” the stall keeper said unhappily unable to remove his eyes from Zaraki's zanpaku-to. He wiped his forehead with a piece of cloth. This made Zaraki notice he was perspiring heavily.
 
“Pack them up, all of them. Next time you try to sell this type of stuff, I suggest you ask permission from the Captain-General. Get out of Seireitei in the next 10 minutes or I'll teach you how to dance with my zanpaku-to.” Zaraki grinned at him viciously.
 
`I don't want to dance with him, Kenny. He's not my type. I prefer someone who wears glasses, has shoulder length dark, wavy hair and utters enigmatic words.” Atonomatsuri commented. Briefly Zaraki wondered who the hell she was talking about. He didn't recognise that description. He shrugged. It wasn't important who the bird liked.
 
The stall keeper went white while Zaraki talked and paled even further when he smiled. Hurriedly he packed up the dolls with shaking hands, sweat running down his face.
 
“How much?” Zaraki demanded.
 
The stall keeper looked at him in a calculating manner and then appeared to remember who he was looking at. Through tight lips he named a price.
 
“Too high. I'll pay half of that.” Zaraki knew the guy was trying to extort money.
 
“Three-quarters,” the stall keeper said faintly. “I'm a business man.”
 
“Not anymore, you're not. Or would you like me to take you to a Captain's meeting and let them decide your fate?” Zaraki considered the matter, wondering what would be the result. He knew some of the Captains would not be happy about the dolls. Captain Soi Fong, for instance. She would categorize the doll to be an insult to her standing and reputation.
 
Watching his quarry carefully, Zaraki hadn't thought the `business man' could go any paler, but he did. He almost seemed on the verge of collapse and his eyes were glassy. The dark hair was plastered to his head and his fine clothes were now less impressive, showing wet patches where fear had caused the man to sweat profusely. The salt tang of his fear was manifest in the air.
 
“You name the price. Anything. Just give me the money.” He put the bags which contained all his stock on the table.
 
Zaraki paid him what he thought was a fair price and watched as the stall keeper, after quickly stowing the money away, take to his heels and run as fast as he could. He left the bags behind.
 
“Doesn't he want his stall?” Zaraki wondered aloud watching him leave.
 
“He probably rented it. Captain, in future I'm going to ask you to do all my shopping. I paid half of what you did and only bought two dolls. How many did you buy?” Madarame's tone was filled with admiration and curiosity.
 
“Huh? I don't know. Here, you take half. We'll take them back to the office.” Zaraki smiled as he thought about his sudden inspiration.
 
“But what do you want them for? I don't understand. You won't give them to Yachiru. She doesn't play with dolls.” Madarame seemed to be having difficulty in comprehending the purchase of the dolls.
 
“I'll tell you later. Let's go.” Zaraki hefted his bags and started to walk toward his office, a stern smile playing over his lips. His idea just might work.
 
Author's Note:
 
Thank you to the people who have reviewed this story so far. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. It's great that you're enjoying the story. Especial thanks to bairdie and yuwa for reviewing the last chapter.
 
Review and I will update. Who knows? I might explain the reason Zaraki bought the dolls.
 
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
 
MS