Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Cold Revenge ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters. I did create Atonomatsuri (the bird) and Piecrust (the jerk).
 
Welcome to Chapter 30 of Zanpaku-to, a story that was originally going to be 3 chapters long.
 
Spoiler: The revenge commences (at last).
 
Cold Revenge
 
Madarame was badly injured as was Nemu. Retsu was not happy that more casualties had arrived in her Division but hid it well. She fussed over the 3rd seat, making certain his wounds were bound and his bedding comfortable. After Yachiru was assured he would recover she took Ayasegawa to visit Nemu. She obviously knew that Retsu needed to talk to Zaraki alone.
 
When Zaraki asked about Nemu, Retsu pressed her lips together. “There is damage done to that girl's body that predates this fight. I am fearful of prying because this is only the second time she has been admitted to 4th Division as a patient. Following past experience I imagine I will be ordered to return her to 12th Division very shortly. I am trying to accelerate the healing as much as possible, but I don't think it will be enough. Zaraki, would you please encourage Yachiru to form a friendship with Nemu? She mentioned it earlier and I believe that your assistant captain might offer the girl some support.”
 
The question perplexed Zaraki. Yachiru befriend the daughter of the enemy? Ayasegawa already had done so and he was their wild card. Why did they need any more friendships forming?
 
Noticing his look, Retsu explained. “Yachiru is brave, capable and does not allow anyone to take advantage of her. She has a good relationship with you, her father figure, and I hope that contact with your assistant captain might make Nemu reassess her options. Many people see your assistant captain as a child and treat her accordingly, but we both know that she is as mature as many of the senior officers. Her maturity and good sense will help Nemu.”
 
“What the hell! Me a role model for a Kurotsuchi? Not going to happen. I don't want 11th Division crawling with 12th Division retards seeking friends. I hate having to look at that bunch of freaks. Damn you Atonomatsuri,” he said finally identifying the real culprit.
 
“A friend in need is a friend indeed. Damn me? We've had that conversation where I pointed out it's not possible. Your life was so dull before you began to talk to me. All you ever did was eat, sleep, drink, fight, avoid paperwork and attend those meetings. Admit it. You're rarely bored now,” the vulture said in an uncommonly bright voice.
 
“I'd prefer boredom,” Zaraki muttered and then realised he'd spoken aloud.
 
“Sometimes I feel that way, also, Captain. There have been too many disturbing events, mainly centred on your Division,” a commanding voice said behind him.
 
Turning around, Zaraki saw that the Captain-General had entered the room. That put an end to his hopes of keeping a low profile. Was the guy following him for some reason?
 
“I've come to enquire about the recovery of the two senior officers and while here I have been given disturbing news. You are expressing concern about the treatment of Assistant Captain Kurotsuchi by her commanding officer,” his bright and piercing gaze was turned on Retsu and Zaraki wondered if Yamamoto had overheard their conversation.
 
Retsu paled slightly, but nodded and with her usual calm manner she said, “I believe she has been the subject of experimentation of a cruel and brutal kind. We are both aware that the Captain likes to experiment on unwilling victims and I do not believe he should be permitted to continue in this manner. May I have your permission to keep her here until she is fully recovered?”
 
Quietly, Ayasegawa and Yachiru entered the room and stood behind Zaraki, remaining quiet and listening intently.
 
Yamamoto frowned at them, and appeared ready to order them to leave the room, but then changed his mind. “She may remain until she is recovered. Captain Unohana, you can advise Captain Kurotsuchi that he should be less forceful with his discipline, but it is within his jurisdiction to punish his subordinates as he sees fit,” the slightly satirical tone was not lost on Zaraki. He wondered what the hell the old man was getting at. “But your only concern for other Divisions should be for the health and cleanliness of the members. It is my responsibility to direct the Captains.” His gaze was fastened on Zaraki as he made the last comment.
 
Unwilling to break his gaze, Zaraki felt Ayasegawa nudge him gently in the back. His shoulders bunched and he kept his gaze cool and uninterested. “Yeah. Right. So Madarame will recover?” he asked Retsu. “When will he be fit for duty?”
 
“I won't release him until he is fully recovered this time. The mistake I made previously will not be repeated.” Her voice was as set as her expression. She did not seem happy at the subtle talking to issued by Yamamoto and Zaraki understood.
 
Zaraki nodded, expecting nothing less and smiled, trying to show her some level of understanding. He hated it when the old man lectured him in front of anyone else. He thought he might have also received a reprimand but couldn't work out what it was about. He'd find out later, of that he was sure.
 
“I think you have other duties that should be occupying your attention, Captain Zaraki,” Yamamoto said pointedly.
 
“Uh, yeah,” Zaraki noticed the dismissal. Yachiru jumped onto his back and accompanied by Ayasegawa they walked out of 4th Division toward Yachiru's quarters. As they walked he pondered what might be on the old mans mind.
 
“What was that about, Captain?”
 
The question was not unexpected and Zaraki had wondered who would ask it first. Ayasegawa was agitated, possibly due to the injuries suffered by two of his friends.
 
“What I want to know is why he followed us to 4th Division. He'd already spoken to me earlier,” Zaraki reasoned aloud. “It's overkill.”
 
“Don't forget Ken-chan. He was not happy with Clowny. Maybe he wanted to talk to Nemu,” Yachiru suggested. Her little hands seemed to be holding his coat tighter than normal.
 
“Something is stirring in the bowels of the Seireitei,” Atonomatsuri observed. “Something has been awakened by the events and shifts, sleepily moving toward the surface, seeking light, power and prey.”
 
“Are you going all prophetic on me, vulture? The Seireitei doesn't have bowels; it's a concept, not a living being,” it was best that this sort of crap was stopped before it properly began. If the bird decided to prophecy he was sure he was going to hear more about pain and revenge and all that sort of junk. Next she might start wearing scarves draped around her skull, or wear some weird type of garb beloved by occultists. She was bad enough now and the thought of her becoming any more peculiar was not pleasant.
 
“It has form, it has space, it's part of the human race,” quipped Atonomatsuri and Zaraki groaned.
 
“You're not making much sense there, Sewage. This place is where the human race goes after it dies the first time. Never did understand all this. Soul Society and the Seireitei are not living things,” Zaraki thought, not for the first time, his zanpaku-to was showing evidence of insanity. The lunacy was all on her side, he was fine.
 
“Of course it lives. It's made of spirit particles, so it lives. And stop calling me Sewage, KZ,” squawked the vulture, snippily. “And there is something coming. Aizen did a bad thing before he left. He set something in motion to get all of you distracted. Ask the bald one, oh, that's right you can't. Ask feather man to talk to his zanpaku-to. It will agree with me. A liar is more easily caught than a thief.”
 
Hating to do anything the virulent creature asked he unwillingly asked, “Um, Ayasegawa, you can talk to your zanpaku-to, can't you?” Hell, he hated sounding hesitant. “If you call me KZ once more, I'll send you to 12th Division for experimentation,” he told Atonomatsuri who huffed in displeasure.
 
“Treat me like a friend and I won't call you KZ. Life without a friend is death without a witness,” was the surprising reply.
 
“Treat you like a friend? When have you ever acted like a friend to me? You don't want to be my friend, you've made that clear,” Zaraki was prepared to continue arguing with Atonomatsuri, but the voice of his 5th seat broke into his internal debate.
 
“Yes, Captain. I talk to Fujikujyaku even though he is arrogant and vain. Why do you ask?” Ayasegawa did not seem too comfortable talking about his zanpaku-to and Zaraki had to hide the smile at the description of the character of the zanpaku-to. It suited his 5th seat, but then he paused.
 
If the character of the zanpaku-to matched the owner did that mean he was like Atonomatsuri, full of bitterness, hatred, dreams of revenge and a desire for hiding the truth? Damn, that couldn't be right. Then he remembered something the vulture had said: the vulture form was not the original form of the zanpaku-to, his naming of her had corrupted her original form and nature. It had been mentioned in her tirade, so maybe she would have been different if he hadn't renamed her. How would she have been different? When he had a chance he would ask her how dissimilar she had been. It was likely that she would complain and accuse, but he was getting used to it. The more she complained, the easier it was to ignore. The disturbing request to treat her like a friend was too peculiar to even consider now.
 
“Is there something stirring in the Seireitei? Ask you zanpaku-to,” he commanded, feeling curious about the possible response.
 
Almost frowning, but catching himself in time, Ayasegawa closed his eyes and an expression of displeasure crossed his face. “Damned egotistical blade. I hate asking it anything. Yes, Captain. My zanpaku-to says something is happening beneath the surface. He is not happy about it but he won't tell me anything else unless I flatter him and I'm not in the mood.”
 
“Did he give any details?” the question was rapped out. Zaraki wanted more information and he was pretty sure that it would be an irritating process trying to get anything out of Atonomatsuri.
 
“No.” The petulant tone was mirrored by the expression on his face.
 
“My zanpaku-to says the same thing. Something's coming Ken-chan. Before we talk about it, can we check my room? Please.” Yachiru's voice was steady, with an underlying hint of anger.
 
This was unexpected. Yachiru hardly ever talked about her zanpaku-to and rarely drew it. “You're talking to your zanpaku-to? What's it called?”
 
“Later, Ken-chan. We have to talk about a few things but not here,” her wide gaze made him remember what they were doing.
 
The vulture chose her times well to disturb him. “Stay outside, Yachiru. We'll check,” he instructed her. It would upset her too much if a camera was found in her bedroom.
 
Ayasegawa and Zaraki quickly checked through the rooms. It wasn't easy with all Yachiru's junk scattered throughout and the pile of boxes which contained the dolls. After tonight they would be gone.
 
There were cameras in both the living area and the bedroom. The one in the bedroom had a lolly stuck to the lens and it looked like it had been there for many years due to the dust and cobwebs covering it. He made an exclamation as he noticed that the camera would not work anyway as someone had removed a key part of the mechanism. Who would have done that? He showed it to Ayasegawa who nodded. A further search revealed a number of bugs that also appeared to be disabled.
 
“Nemu admires Yachiru,” Ayasegawa said softly. “She told me how much she respects her abilities. I think she might have done this. She also mentioned that her father prizes his privacy. I don't think we need to worry about listening devices or cameras in his house.”
 
Zaraki stroked his chin. Was Nemu really rebelling against her father and her captain? Was there more to the girl than he had suspected? While watching her fight Madarame he had admired her fighting abilities and the speed of her attacks. Her reprimand of her father had pleased him and her demand for a fair fight. Until then he had believed she had no backbone, no will of her own. Nemu was unexpected.
 
“Retsu wants Yachiru to befriend Nemu,” he admitted, slowly, watching his 5th seat for a reaction and was pleased when he received a nod in response.
 
“At first I thought it was a bad notion but now I agree. How do we ask the assistant captain? She likes to make her own decisions,” he replied, his eyes taking on a faraway gaze.
 
“Tell her about this. Explain that we think Nemu disabled the bugs,” it seemed the most logical plan. “Yachiru, come here,” he yelled.
 
A pink blur entered the quarters. “Well?” she said curiously, he eyes darting around the room. It was easy to tell that she was very concerned about the result of the search.
 
“There were cameras and listening devices,” Zaraki began and saw her face crumple. He couldn't believe his assistant captain was going to cry over this. “They've been disabled, long ago,” he added hastily.
 
“I think Nemu disabled them. Has she ever visited you here?” Ayasegawa added.
 
Yachiru's face returned to normal and then a small smile curved her mouth. “Yes, she has and I think she did. She said something to me once. Something about my quarters being private. I didn't understand what she meant.”
 
“Retsu wants you to befriend Nemu. She said you'd be a good example,” the words emerged steadily and Zaraki tried to keep the distaste out of his voice. He still did not like the thought of friends within 12th Division.
 
“That's easy, Ken-chan. I don't mind,” she assured him. “But you have to do something for me.”
 
“Another bribe?” he was disappointed that she seemed to expect some form of recompense.
 
“No. I'm hungry and I bet you are too. Let's eat,” she chirped at him and he felt his shoulders relax as he laughed.
 
“You're right. We don't need our stomachs making noises when we set up Kurotsuchi later. It's getting on and we should get ready,” Zaraki said as he led them to the nearest tea house.
 
After a quick meal they returned to Yachiru's quarters to retrieve the dolls. They had been jumbled by the move and had to be re-sorted.
 
“We better check there aren't any doubles and we can carry the dolls loose in the bags. We don't need the boxes, they'll just make more weight and bulk,” Zaraki decided.
 
They each took a third and began to sort through the dolls. The duplicates were all placed together. Once they had sorted through and selected the dolls they needed, Yachiru looked at the identical copies.
 
“We've got three long moustaches,” she said as she placed the dolls together.
 
“That's because he's not beautiful,” Ayasegawa said smugly. “If he were beautiful like me, we wouldn't have any copies.”
 
“Or perhaps people are scared of what would happen to them if the doll was found in their possession,” Zaraki pointed out reasonably. He wouldn't want a copy of the doll, it was too freakishly realistic.
 
“If it's because of beauty, then why do we have two of yours?” Yachiru asked, a mischievous smile crossing her face.
 
Ayasegawa grabbed both dolls from her incredulously. “One of them is missing my beautiful feathers,” he said with determination. “Who would want a less than faultless copy of my perfection?”
 
“That doesn't explain why we have two,” Yachiru said smugly. “We don't have spares for Ken-chan, Baldy, Frosty, Kamikaze, Snowy, Lolly, Captain Fun, Nemu, or the Strawberry.”
 
“But we have three of the Clown Captain,” Ayasegawa said, trying to change the subject.
 
“We have 4. You've still got the one for your gi…ur, friend,” Zaraki reminded him. “We'll take all of Kurotsuchi's dolls and leave them in 12th. I don't want them polluting 11h Division. I'm sure the crackpot would like them,” he faltered as he said the last, realising it might be true. The man was peculiar and it was hard to predict what he might like.
 
“What about the chair and coat?” Yachiru asked. “It won't work without them.”
 
“We'll go past my quarters. I've stored them there. Now pick up the bags and let's move. It's late enough so we shouldn't meet anyone.”
 
Fortunately the bags were cloth so did not rustle as they swung from their hands. After retrieving the coat and chair from his quarters, they walked quietly and swiftly toward 12th Division, keeping to the quieter, less frequented streets, or sticking to the rooftops through the populated areas. Yachiru was on his back, but the boxes she carried kept swinging against him. It was uncomfortable but he put up with it, assuring himself that they would not be carried home. It was only a temporary problem. Within 10 minutes they had made their way past the guards, snoozing at their posts.
 
“I thought his guards would be more alert,” Yachiru whispered at her captain. “He's always said that discipline in our division was too lax.”
 
“It's late. It's hard to be on guard at night,” Ayasegawa offered his opinion. “Anyway, we haven't heard anything of the traitors since they left.”
 
“That was only a short time ago. It's too early for complacency. Everyone should be vigilant,” he couldn't prevent the tone of condemnation from emerging in his voice. That was one of the reasons he was insisting on the training within his Division becoming more rigorous, aside from the fact he wanted a good fight.
 
“Shhhh,” hissed Yachiru. “They might hear you Ken-chan. You never really understood about whispering, did you?”
 
He smiled. Whispering was for weaklings and he had never really wanted to learn how, but now it would have been useful.
 
Pausing outside Kurotsuchi's quarters, they waited to se if anyone was stirring. No lights shone through any of the windows. The night was cool which might encourage people to retire to their warm beds. Either way, the chair was becoming cumbersome.
 
As arranged, Ayasegawa stealthily approached the door and inserted the key. The door swung open with they entered the room quietly.
 
The sound of snoring drew them into Kurostuchi's presence. The bottle of rum he had taken from Madarame stood half empty and open beside his chair. An empty glass lay on its side next to the bottle and some liquid had spilt on to the floor and the clothes of the man who was sprawled in the chair. Yachiru gasped and then tried to stifle a giggle. Some of the make-up had run on his face and blurred his features, making him look like a caricature of the 12th Division Captain.
 
The smell of rum reminded Zaraki of his former captain and he scowled. Both men were pariahs and should not have been given positions of power within the Seireitei.
 
Placing the boxes on the floor, Zaraki was about to haul Kurotsuchi out of his chair and place him in the replica. The thought of handling the creature disgusted him, but Yachiru didn't have the strength and Ayasegawa had previously expressed his thoughts about touching the man. Drawing closer, Zaraki looked at the chair, feeling as if he had seen it before. Finding it difficult to stop his exclamation, Zaraki wondered why he had bothered ordering a replica of the chair used by Yamamoto, for Kurotsuchi was seated in a better replica than the one he'd brought.
 
“I don't believe it,” Ayasegawa said as he glanced between the chair his captain had purchased and the chair underneath Kurotsuchi. Yachiru had snuck behind the man and her eyes lit up as she gestured to her subordinate and superior. The coat that the man was wearing was a copy of the coat worn by the Captain-General and it was obviously worn often, but the number on the back was 0. Did the man think he was a zero, or the head of the Council of 46? Leaning against the wall, Zaraki noticed a stick similar to the one sometimes held by the old man. It was becoming very obvious that the 12th Division Captain had dreams far beyond managing just his Division.
 
“I wonder,” Zaraki said as he saw a stack of boxes at one side of the room. Moving over quietly he opened one to see a doll, a doll made in his image. His two companions came over and looked into the box and then the three exchanged glances. “What the hell is going on?” Zaraki tried to keep his voice quiet.
 
“Talk later. Let's put the dolls out, now,” Ayasegawa said urgently his shoulders shaking, possibly from an attempt to prevent laughter escaping.
 
As quickly and quietly as they could they arranged the dolls around the captain. He had to replace his replica as the head fell off when he removed it from the box. Locating his copy he used that instead and placed the broken doll in the bag to take with him. There were a few gaps in the ranks of the captains that Kurotsuchi owned, which they were able to fill, but they were returning with more than half the dolls they had brought.
 
“Make sure you get the positions right,” Zaraki said as quietly as he could.
 
“But I don't go to Captain's meetings, so how would I know?” Ayasegawa complained. “Where do I put the Captain-General?”
 
“At Kurotsuchi's feet, that's where he wants us to be. Let's use the spare ones of him to fill the vacant positions,” Yachiru whispered. “What do I do with the traitor's dolls?”
 
“Put them with the others,” Ayasegawa suggested. “I can't get all of them to stand up. Some of them keep falling over, especially the 11th Division vice captain.”
 
“Do the best you can.” They worked in silence for a few minutes rapidly arranging the dolls. The snoring stopped and they froze in place. If Kurotsuchi found them, they had not made up a cover story. A few seconds later, the snoring recommenced, louder than before.
 
“Let's go,” Zaraki ordered, thinking they'd done enough. They collected the things they were going to take with them and left, trying to make certain there was no evidence they had been there. Yachiru clung to his back, and this time he took the boxes from her, sharing them between his 5th seat and himself. He didn't want them bashing into his back the whole way home.
 
Hauling the chair, Zaraki wondered what he could do with it. He didn't want it as he'd found it uncomfortable to sit on when he'd tried it out. It would be too recognisable to be used as a visitor's chair.
 
“What should I do with the chair?” he said once they were out of 12th District.
 
“Give it Long Moustaches as a birthday present,” was the suggestion offered by Yachiru. “He might like to have a spare.”
 
“No, that would be a bad idea. Leave it outside his office, as an anonymous gift,” Ayasegawa sounded uncertain. “But I think we should destroy it, use it as firewood. It's too distinctive and hiding it would not be easy.”
 
Nodding, Zaraki crushed the woodwork in his hand until he was left with a bundle of broken sticks which he tossed onto a nearby pile of refuse. “There, problem solved. Do you want the dolls, Yachiru?”
 
“There are some young kids in Soul Society who have no toys. I'll go and visit, give them out. I'll just keep a few,” Yachiru said with decision.
 
“That's nice of you, Assistant Captain” said an impressed Ayasegawa. He did not seem prepared for her to make this offer and he'd actually raised his eyebrows.
 
Did this mean he was going to spend the rest of the week cultivating a wooden expression so that overuse would not cause those wrinkles he despised? Zaraki decided to buy him that face cream he coveted. It would stop the guy from whining. Yet another unwanted expense. He still hadn't found out how much the screen was going to cost.
 
“I'm lucky; I had Ken-chan when I was growing up. A lot of kids don't have anyone,” was the simple explanation.
 
“Yeah, not every kid is as lucky as you,” Zaraki said satirically. He knew some children ran when they saw him loom into view. That was their problem. “Hey, Ayasegawa, how much is that screen going to cost me? Life's been expensive these last few days.”
 
“Good quality costs, Captain. Once you see the screen you won't even think about the money,” was the casual reply.
 
That didn't sound good. “How much?”
 
The man named a sum that made Yachiru gurgle, stunned. “That much?” she squeaked.
 
“You'll like it. It's antique, very rare, and very attractive. It will add another dimension to the office,” was the defence offered.
 
“Another dimension? Is it a time machine?” Zaraki wondered what the man was yabbering about.
 
“No, it's a very nice screen that you will like. It's too late, I've ordered it and it will be delivered tomorrow. If you don't like it you can give it to me as a gift,” was the unsubtle offer.
 
“I don't give anyone things that cost that amount,” Zaraki began to raise his voice.
 
“Shhh, Ken-chan. We'll work it out tomorrow. It's late and I'm tired,” Yachiru advised.
 
He nodded, knowing that if he lost his temper now it would end badly.
 
They walked on quietly until they reached 11th Division and then went their separate ways to bed.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------Author's Note:
 
Is Yamamoto stalking Zaraki? That was my immediate reaction when he turned up in 4th Division because his appearance was not in the plan, but as it worked I kept it. It's not easy to imagine Yamamoto as a stalker; Kurotsuchi is much more plausible.
 
I hope there were a few surprises in this chapter and I hope that you're as excited as I about what happens in the next chapter. (That sounds weird.)
 
Please review.
 
MS