Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Zanpaku-to? ❯ Improbable Facts ( Chapter 40 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters. I do own Atonomatsuri (the bird) and Piecrust (the jerk).
 
Improbable Facts
 
His way out was blocked, intentionally. As soon as the old man and Kurotsuchi left, the doorway became crowded and Zaraki wondered why the mass of people didn't thin. Instead he seemed to be hemmed in and gradually it dawned on him that he was the centre of attention. Madarame was on his right, Ayasegawa on his right and Yachiru was clinging to his back and they were pressing people back. Without meaning to, his hand found the hilt of his zanpaku-to and he wondered if he would have to fight to get out. Being crowded like this made him feel agoraphobic. Was it agoraphobic? Or was it claustrophobic? It was some phobic…People phobic? He only liked crowds when he was fighting and that was crowds of enemies waiting to fall prey to his blade, but no matter the provocation he couldn't do that here, blast it!
 
“We are counting on you, Kenpachi, to see true justice is meted out,” Kuchiki said in his measured tones. His expression as usual provided no indication of his emotion, but his eyes were focused strongly. A number of people nodded, as if in agreement and it made Zaraki uncomfortable.
 
“I thought you were still meant to be defending the guy. You and the others,” Zaraki said, gesturing vaguely, trying to use the movement to push some of the mass further away. The press moved away slightly and he felt less hemmed in, but still not happy. People should stay in their assigned roles and not cross the line into being understanding or polite. Until now Kuchiki usually only seemed to express his contempt for the 11th Division Captain and this new side was unwelcome and inconsistent. Gods forbid the man should unbend enough to smile, but given the gravity of the situation that was unlikely.
 
“And so we have and will continue to do so. We will defend his rights, protect him against any injustice and stay alert to deflect any underhand act of violence, but I am no longer required to avow his innocence. The next few days will prove either that or his culpability.” The noble shut his mouth tightly as he nodded briefly to Zaraki and motioning to Abarai he exited through the door, a number of other people following many of them smiling back with anticipation or friendliness. Monkey faces, stretched in attitudes of fun or fear, what did he care? They were going and that was good.
 
Then the words filtered through his brain and stuck in his consciousness. Next few days? He'd only thought it would be a day, at most. But the information he'd read wasn't complete and he couldn't recall everything he'd scanned. Barely suppressing a sigh he knew that if he complained nothing would change. If he yelled or tried to fight someone, it might entertain him for the length of the fight, but the situation wouldn't alter. Tomorrow would dawn and he'd be called upon to face whatever lay ahead of him, despite his actions. If he could get his hands on the thing he'd read before or even talk to the annoying squawk-fest, he might obtain a better understanding of what he was to face. Instinctively he knew that Atonomatsuri would hold the knowledge, but with her track record, it would be damned hard to obtain any useful facts from her. Facts, possibly. Useful? Highly improbable, unless it was to her advantage. While distracted he hadn't been aware that two other captains had approached him and seemed eager to engage him in further conversation.
 
“It was a good call, Jushiro, reminding everyone that Mayuri could have alerted the old man to the traitor's plans. That alone was enough to court martial any captain without a hearing before hand. The only pity is that old man Yama is being fair, too fair.” The flower coated captain patted his friend on the shoulder, but the white haired man just shook his head.
 
“You have to expect him to be fair. In fact it isn't fair. He's giving the man too much leeway. The result was incidental. I didn't wish for, nor expect this outcome. I will feel responsible if you are hurt, Kenpachi. The other problem, to which I must allude, is I am unsure how I will feel if it is taken to the final conclusion. For all his faults, Mayuri is a Captain and the only possible successor to Urahara,” Ukitake looked worried.
 
“And he's a sneaky beggar. You worry too much, old friend. He only succeeded to the position of Captain because we lost both the captain and assistant captain at the one time. It's strange how convenient that was, for him. I'm sure we could find another successor, a more suitable successor who might contribute and didn't start as a corrupted soul,” Kyoruka's eyes swept the assembled people and rested on one or two people, a calculated gleam in his eyes. “I'm sure if we offered enough inducement, Kisuke would return and maybe Yoruichi. We would have two able Captains return to us with their experience and common sense at a time we need them most. Or we could bring in one of the talented people from Soul Society who has thus far been overlooked.”
 
“Why are you worried about Ken-chan?” Yachiru was dismissive of their concern. “He gets to have a fight against another captain and he might even get to see him go bankai. That would only make him happy.”
 
Captain Ukitake looked a little guilty. “It's not that straightforward.”
 
How many times had Zaraki heard that? Even worse, how many times had he almost felt the need to say it? It usually meant the person didn't want to explain what was happening, as it showed them in a bad light, or to answer truthfully would raise more questions. Looking at Ukitake he wondered which one it was. As far as he knew, the man usually took care to be an honest as possible.
 
Laughing, Captain Kyoraku agreed. “My friend here, helped write the rules basing them on some obscure things he'd read, as a joke. I helped a bit, here and there. Neither of us believed the rules would ever be used, but the interpretation can be a bit loose. I'll be interested to see what old man Yama does to twist them to fit this mess. Haha. It should be fun to watch.”
 
Ukitake caught his arm as he turned. “Fun? Or deadly? That's the end of the contest, the only true end. Why did you encourage me?”
 
“You supplied the sake for inspiration. Don't worry. Kenpachi will have it under control. He is the Kenpachi, after all and Mayuri is scared of him. It's either fear, or jealousy. Knowing Mayuri, it might even be both.” The assurance in Kyoruka's voice was oddly reassuring but Zaraki wouldn't acknowledge it. “Otherwise why was he trying to get him kicked out of the Seireitei?”
 
It was a good question but now it didn't seem important. Once all this was over he might have the time and inclination to think about it and ask his own questions. All the speculation didn't help. “It's a fight,” Zaraki said, dismissing all the comments they'd made. “I like to fight.”
 
“Now then, Kenpachi. Don't overwhelm us with words,” Kyoraku said laughing again. “If you need any help, call on Jushiro. He'll explain the obscure bits. I'll even make him use simple words.”
 
“Obscure? Simple words? You were the one who suggested there could be up to at least 13 possible parts to the challenge.” The two friends moved off, gently squabbling about who had created the most obscure rule.
 
13 challenges? He shook his head, hearing his bells tinkle in denial. 13 was a stupid number. Why did people insist on the importance of numbers, trying to make them align with the already constricted construction? How bored had they been when they wrote the rules, or how drunk had Kyoraku been? As soon as he managed to read the rules he'd find out the level of the problems he might be facing, but that could wait; it would have to wait until he could get clear of this place. Wanting to get away from any further conversations or matters that might distract him from preparing for tomorrow he nodded to Yachiru who jumped onto his back. Avoiding the other captains and hangers on he set a swift pace, knowing the exercise would be good for his mind as well as his tightening muscles. Running through the streets back to his office he felt his muscles begin to loosen and the twisted tension at the back of his neck relax slightly the further he moved from 1st Division.
 
Again he wondered why being a captain had seemed like a good idea. Had the bird been influencing him even then?
 
Once more he charted the disasters back to attempting to gain more power through talking to the spirit of his zanpaku-to. If it would make any change he wished he'd never tried. Nothing was worth this sort of disruption to his life, even if it did mean a measure of payback to Kurotsuchi.
 
“If wishes were horses, you'd have a stable full by now,” Atonomatsuri said, her voice higher, with an edge to it.
 
“Horses,” Zaraki snorted. “One bird is enough wildlife for me.”
 
They had arrived at his office by now and he'd automatically entered and started making tea. Yachiru slid from his back and stood in the centre of the room so he had difficulty in ignoring her or moving around the room without having to skirt her. She nodded at his mime of asking her if she wanted a cup of tea and he measured out the tea leaves, hoping the quiet wouldn't be interrupted by the bird, or anyone.
 
“Ken-chan,” Yachiru said, her voice more hesitant than normal.
 
Gladly ignoring any further conversation from Atonomatsuri he stretched his lips in the parody of a grin and turned his attention to his assistant captain. “Yeah?”
 
“Are you talking to the spirit again? What's its name? Is it nice?” In her least subtle approach, Yachiru was seeking information and it seemed odd that she wanted to know at this time. He was grateful she wasn't trying to manipulate him, but the topic of conversation left everything to be desired.
 
“I've already told you about her,” he said briefly. Instead of a distraction, the request made him focus on one of the problems he was attempting to ignore.
 
She picked up a piece of her hair and twisted it between her fingers seemingly fascinated by the movement and colour. Her fascination didn't last and she glanced at him fleetingly under her lashes as she began searching her pockets for more sweets. As she explored the concealed pocket in her right sleeve she contradicted him. “Not very much, Ken-chan. I've forgotten her name and what she is. And you act funny when I talk about her. One time when you talked about her, you had that same expression on your face that you have when you talk about the Clown Captain.” She refused to meet his gaze.
 
Hearing a gasp of indignation in his mind he awaited the normal tirade from the bird within, but the gasp seemed to end in a sob and then silence. Even though he didn't care what the vulture said, it was a relief not to have to reply to her normal set of charges, insults, entreaties, anger and general disappointment. It irked him, though he'd never admit it, to be the single cause of so much disappointment to one person, even if it was the overgrown, feathered freak. The lack of mental noise gave him time to choose his answer. He wanted to be fair to Yachiru as he rarely kept anything from her, but it was difficult to explain his turbulent interchanges with the spirit of his zanpaku-to. Nothing but the truth would work, but he would start simply. A simple explanation might enable him to keep a mental distance from the havoc of the thoughts he experienced whenever he was forced to acknowledge the bird.
 
The tea was ready now and he poured them both a cup, handing the hot beverage to his subordinate. Seating himself behind the desk he gulped his tea feeling it burn his mouth. He didn't care about the pain, taking a slight amount of pleasure in the sting on his tongue. Pouring another cup he took his time drinking it as he considered his answer. Keeping his voice even he said, “Her name is Atonomatsuri, which means `too late'. She's a large Egyptian pink and black vulture who wears a necklace of skulls. She switches from being partly decomposed to being whole and healthy.”
 
He paused and licked his lips considering pouring some sake to drink instead of the tea. He was getting a thirst for the clean white spirit that made reality fade into the distance. Reality was overrated. Gritting his teeth he poured them both some more tea and refilled the pot with hot water. If the conversation lasted more than another 5 minutes he would open the sake and to hell with the consequences.
 
Yachiru didn't seem to like the pause. “She's partly pink? She must look beautiful!”
 
“You did catch the bit about being partially decomposed?” It wasn't the reaction he expected.
 
“But that's make her cool, Ken-chan. I wonder if my zannie's spirit will be as cool as yours,” Yachiru was reacting in a way he didn't like. Atonomatsuri; cool? It was obvious the kid hadn't met her or didn't understand anything about her, or she had really bad judgement. He had to disabuse her of her fantasy.
 
“She uses adages all the time,” he said, his voice hissing as he mentioned the adage.
 
“Oh,” the smile grew less on his assistant captain's face. “But, I don't mind adages, Ken-chan. I think they can be funny and it actually makes her even cooler.” Her voice was small as she said the words and she made an apologetic face. “I don't know why you're ashamed of her. At least she isn't a load of old cherry blossom petals. They're pretty, but they seem a little silly even when they're cutting a person to pieces. Very girly, but don't tell Captain Frosty I said that. He doesn't like to be called girly or for his zannie to be mocked.”
 
Without meaning to the words made him smile. If it had been any other male Shinigami, he was certain that the man would be teased unmercifully for producing death by cherry blossoms. “They're deadly, Yachiru.”
 
“Is that because people giggle to death beforehand, Ken-chan? I mean here's this humourless noble guy throwing cherry blossom petals at you and hoping you'll die? Or are they made out of paper and he's hoping you'll die of paper cuts?” Yachiru continued on, cheerfully.
 
Zaraki started to laugh, louder and longer than he had since the whole problem with Kurotsuchi had started. He'd never heard Yachiru express that viewpoint before and it managed to distract him with its perception. He knew he didn't need to warn her not to mention it to the Captain. Or if she did, he'd ignore her comment and shrug away anything he thought was implied criticism. Kuchiki didn't accept criticism.
 
“But that's not what I want to talk about. Tell me more about her,” his second in command urged.
 
What else could he tell her, that he was prepared to divulge? She'd revealed he was a former Hollow? He wasn't going to tell anyone that, ever. “She hates me,” he admitted.
 
“That's not true. It can't be true. Maybe she's angry with you because you ignored her for so long. I get annoyed with you when you ignore me. That's what it is,” Yachiru said and nodded as if affirming what she'd said.
 
“It's not that simple,” he began to explain and felt a pang of disbelief. Ukitake had expressed himself in similar terms earlier when he was trying to conceal his discomfort and obvious disquiet at the new challenge. And less than an hour later, Zaraki was using similar words for a similar purpose.
 
Yachiru turned to him. “What is simple? Nothing. You told me that and we proved it years ago. If it's not simple, people often give up. They shouldn't. Giving up is easy. Most of the time problems could be solved by fixing it sooner rather than waiting for it to fix itself, which it won't. The problem gets bigger and harder each time. You do it too, Ken-chan. I know you mean to do the right thing, and you do, often. Other times, if it's someone else's suggestion, you get stubborn and refuse to do anything. Things get worse and then it's too late to fix it simply and you either leave it alone, or make a token effort. It doesn't work.”
 
Her honesty and accuracy astounded Zaraki. Rarely was she so forthright, but when she was he knew it was wise to pay attention and act on her suggestions. Sighing, he nodded and waited for the next unwelcome observation.
 
“Apologise to her. She's the spirit of your zanpaku-to and you want to get stronger, remember? You can get stronger with her help. If you keep fighting her, she could make it really difficult for you,” Yachiru advised.
 
He couldn't hide his distaste for her advice. “I tried that and she already has,” he said.
 
“Did you. Did you really? Or did you get impatient and start yelling and ordering her around?”
 
For a moment he felt a need to look over his shoulder. Her assessment was too close to the truth and it made him wonder if the overgrown canary had spoken to his assistant captain.
 
Yachiru bobbed up in front of his face. “You did yell at her, I can tell. And you've insulted her too, haven't you? Did she try to offer advice?”
 
He shrugged with an assumed air or nonchalance, trying to think of a means to distract the girl. If only he carried a large bag of lollies in his pocket. Opening his mouth he was about to suggest they go and examine the selection of sweets to be found in a nearby shop, when Yachiru asked very steadily, “If her name is Atonomatsuri which means `too late', does that say anything about her special power?”
 
He couldn't help himself. Surprise made him blink hard at the question and a quiver of some emotion or other ran down his backbone. How observant was Yachiru? What conclusion had she drawn which he missed?
 
“Well, Ken-chan. Does it?” she persisted.
 
“Yeah,” he disliked making the admission, but it was necessary.
 
Her eyes sparked and he could only recall one other occasion when she had looked at him like that. “Tell me,” she demanded. “I know you hate telling other people, but you've told Lolly. Why did you ask her and not me? That hurt Ken-chan.” During the last two sentences her voice had become smaller and her eyes had become sad.
 
He goggled at her. Hurt her? He'd hurt her because he'd asked Retsu but hadn't talked to her. “She knows how to bankai,” was all his disordered thoughts offered as an answer.
 
“So? You asked her about bankai, but what about when you were having trouble with the spirit? You usually ask me and this time, you didn't. Do you prefer Lolly to me? I like Lolly, but normally you talk to me about everything. Why won't you talk to me? Have I done something wrong?”
 
Seeing it from her viewpoint he knew what she meant. He'd become so caught up with the success he had with talking to his spirit he had omitted Yachiru from any discussions. Mostly because she didn't talk to her spirit, but normally she advised him on nearly all the important matters. The problems he'd experienced with Atonomatsuri…. He didn't feel comfortable discussing those with anyone, but then he remembered he'd shared the issue with Madarame and Retsu. Yachiru had been an afterthought, and not even that.
 
“Hell, Yachiru. I didn't think…”
 
“Now there's a surprise! Kenny boy is admitting he didn't think when he didn't think. Maybe every time you open your mouth you could say that, because on most occasions it would certainly be true. Those who do not feel pain, seldom think that it is felt.” Atonomatsuri did not crow with pleasure, but it was implied. The smug satisfaction that was obvious in her voice reminded him of the number of times she'd baited him about Yachiru and the way he treated her. It worried him that she might be right.
 
“Oh shut the hell up, Sewer,” he snapped aloud.
 
Yachiru nodded as if she had received confirmation of a suspicion. “Is that how you always talk to her?” she asked forthrightly. “If you do, she probably doesn't like it. You never talk to me like that and I'd be unhappy if you did. I feel sorry for `Suri.”
 
“See! I knew I liked this girl. Your assistant captain is as clever as she is pretty. Her hair is a lovely colour and her little cheeks are the same pink. She likes pink, she likes black and she likes birds and she's given me such a pretty nickname. Why couldn't I be the spirit of her zanpaku-to?” Atonomatsuri said loudly in the back of his mind.
 
“Yeah, why couldn't you?” Zaraki wanted to be distracted from the way he'd treated Yachiru and was prepared to focus on anything else.
 
“Because you made me the way I am. We've been over that before,” Atonomatsuri sounded resigned, or as near to resignation as she ever was.
 
Only the bare facts and not many of those. When she'd mentioned that he'd changed her she had omitted much and said little except it was his fault. “Why couldn't I what? Oh, you're talking to Atonomatsuri. I can't hear what she's saying to you. I wish you'd talked to me about her, told me everything,” the wistful note in Yachiru's voice didn't help make Zaraki feel any better. Looking at her, with her mouth turned down as her large eyes looked at him pleadingly made him ask a question.
 
“You could have mentioned this before. Why didn't you?” Even to his ears it sounded like he was accusing her of some wrong doing.
 
“A guilt shared is a guilt halved,” the bird chimed in accusingly.
 
He almost told her she'd got the adage wrong, but he didn't wish to acknowledge that she'd said anything and his primary attention was focused on his assistant captain.
 
A change came over Yachiru's face. The amusement was wiped off and so was the sad look that indicated betrayal. Her eyes glinted with anger and she shook her finger in front of his nose.
 
“What would you have said, Ken-chan? You've been busy with everything that's been happening and I did try once or twice, but you ignored me. And I wanted you to ask me because you wanted my advice because you thought it might be good, but instead you ignored me and blocked me out. You're making friends with everyone and I thought it was making you happy, but you stopped spending time with me and talking to me.”
 
The catch in her voice made him look at her closely and he began to understand. Unwillingly he reached out and patted her shoulder and then hugged her clumsily and briefly. “Hey, kid,” he grated. “What did you expect?”
 
Yachiru hugged him around the neck burying her small face against his shoulder. “I was worried. I wondered if you liked Lolly more than me.”
 
The observation made him laugh even though he didn't mean to. “Like anyone more than you? No, Yachiru.” She was closer to him than any living being and had brought him out of the worst period of his life, helping him see the sky again. Before her sudden appearance his life had been stark and the sky only informed him if it was day or night, not that there were clouds to be admired and compared to people or other shapes. She'd reminded him how to laugh, and there had been little to find amusing in the fog of death with which he'd been surrounded.
 
“It feels strange seeing you spend time with other people,” she said seeming to be casual, but he knew she was pretending.
 
“I'm still getting used to it,” he admitted but then decided to be completely honest. “Maybe it's a good thing. You get on with people better than I do and I can learn from you.”
 
Pulling her head back, she gave him a cautious smile. “A good daughter always teaches her father,” she said.
 
“Teaches him what?” he said deciding to join in the teasing.
 
“How to be a better person,” this time the answer was serious.
 
The answer made any words he wanted to say vanish and he looked away. “Sentimental drivel,” he eventually managed to choke out from a throat that felt tight.
 
“And don't you love it?” Atonomatsuri said. “Yachiru calling you her father always makes you feel bigger and more important than you already do, you preening poseur. You want her to think of you as her father.”
 
Instinctively his hands reached out to strangle the bird even though he knew she wasn't there. Yachiru noticed and tapped the backs of both his hands. “Not every thing can be fixed by killing it,” she said reprovingly.
 
“It'd make life easier,” he said truthfully. “Except for you,” he added quickly.
 
She gave him her special grin. “You wouldn't find me, Ken-chan and if you did you wouldn't catch me.”
 
“Believe it, if you want,” he offered generously and grinned at her with disbelief clear on his face.
 
“You'd always be too late,” Yachiru said and then stared at Zaraki. He could see that she was working things out and he began to dread what she would say next. An air of apprehension overcame him the longer Yachiru remained silent, thinking.
 
“It's a very strong power,” his assistant captain finally said.
 
“Huh?” He didn't understand the comment. What could she mean?
 
Yachiru was looking at his zanpaku-to with great respect. “I wonder. If you had managed to seal her, would it have had a big effect on your life?”
 
Now Zaraki was becoming even more confused. Why was Yachiru speaking about sealing his zanpaku-to? He'd never been able to do so, not from the first time he'd received the blade. As time passed and his reiatsu increased, so shrank any chance he had to contain both the zanpaku-to and his spiritual power.
 
“I was lucky,” she said reflectively. “So were Baldy and Pretty Boy. Atonomatsuri, thank you,” she called as if fully expecting to receive an answer. She bowed respectfully at Zaraki, or so he thought until he realised that she was bowing to his blade.
 
“Zaraki, I'll help you. Because of Yachiru I vow to help you win this battle against the Clown Captain,” Atonomatsuri said with a happy wet note in her voice. Until now he'd rarely heard anyone speak like that, except once or twice when Yachiru had cried because she was happy.
 
Females were weird. This latest conversation proved it.
 
Even arriving at this conclusion he was forced to wonder what Yachiru had worked out and if she'd be prepared to tell him. Every indication made him suspect that whatever it was would be important, not to control his future, but to understand his past.
 
Author's Note:
 
Important plot development ahead, probably. The battle between Kurotsuchi and Zaraki may be irregular but it still under development. There are a few clues in this chapter which might indicate the way it could go, but I will reveal no more. Not even if you place bamboo shoots under my finger nails or force me to watch reality TV shows.
 
Please review.
 
MS