Blood+ Fan Fiction ❯ Memories Of Yesterday And Today ❯ That Morning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Authors Notes: This fanfiction is dedicated in memory of Irene and other’s, who I felt got the short end of the stick during the show. This is simply a ‘what if’ had she lived and not had died when Saya gave her some of her blood, as well as Moses, Karman and Solomon who live through the main series as well. They got killed which I thought was unfair especially since I felt they had a lot of things that could have been explored, which I will try to do this fan fic.

It’s AU so it doesn’t follow the events of the show completely, I honestly stopped watching the show shortly after Irene and Riku died. It was to depressing. I do not own any of the characters from Blood Plus, they belong to their respective owners.
_______________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________

A year had passed since the defeat of Diva, and during that time thing’s seemed to change dramatically while something’s still stayed the same. Riku, was dead now having been killed by Diva during their journey that seemed so long ago now. The death seemed surreal almost like it hadn’t happened but it wouldn’t go away completely no matter how much time had passed forward. Kai supposed, that those type of thing’s would never completely go away, he still had nightmares of his father dying.

David and Julia finally seemed to be getting closer to each other(it was about time Kai had said himself repeatedly) and had plans to get married sometime in the near future. Mao and Akihiro were still traveling with Lulu and would send him pictures of the places and things they had seen. It had been about a month or so since he had heard anything from them but he knew he knew they were all right. They did after all have Lulu with them.

Kai slowly rose up from his bed, his red hair a disheveled mess that covered his eyes. He reached into a nearby box and opened it slowly; a single red gem in the middle. Gently, he picked it up and looked at it for a long time before putting it back. It was the only thing left of his brother after Diva crystalized him for some sick reason. I miss you little brother. It would have been you’re birthday today...

Shaking his head, he rubbed away a tear with his sleeve, it almost had came out of nowhere. He still wasn’t completely over his brother’s death but time had eased the pain, somewhat anyway. Kai had two, or rather three things that kept him going, Irene, the girls and this restaurant his father had previously owned before his death. It had been fortunate they had been able to save Irene from falling victim to the thorn, thanks to Julia and her vigilant research. She was, however the only survivor of the Sif besides Lulu, Moses and Karman now. The rest had fallen victim to a weapon or the thorn.

“Kai? Are you ok?” An soft female voice called, the door creaking open slightly revealing a young woman with blonde hair. Irene hadn’t changed much in the year, physically anyway. Her hair was in the same style and while she didn’t look much different from before, she changed a bit mentally.

“I’m fine, I just slept in late.” Kai said lamely so she wouldn’t worry though he knew she would anyway. “I’ll be out in a minute, just let me get dressed.” Reluctantly, Irene left him to his own thoughts after softly closing the door behind her.

The young man got himself dressed for today, putting on some casual street clothes and paused looking at one of the old pictures on the dresser. It was when Saya, Riku and dad had taken a picture sometime before the whole mess with the Chiropteran, those had been more innocent times. That’s over now. I have to look forward not back. It was something much easier said then done but he was going to get through it. The kids and everyone else were counting on him, he couldn’t afford to mope around to much.

Most people would have been surprised that he had taken in Diva’s children after what she had done to Riku. Kai however thought it differently, it wasn’t their fault and in a way they were really the only blood family he had left and they did remind him of his little brother. He would protect the twins with his life if he had to, he sure as hell wasn’t going to let another member of his family die if he could help it.

Kai walked out the door, noticing how quite it was. Not that it’ll last long. He thought to himself slightly amused, knowing the twins Akira and Ayame had a very healthy pair of lungs and knew how to use them. Careful not to wake them up, he softly opened the door to spy on the twins sleeping soundly on the bed. They were both out like a light and more or less dead to the world, just like a certain other person he knew. They really do look like a female version of Riku. Looks you’re dad spit both you out.. We’ll, guess it’s time to open up shop.

Leaving the children for the time being, Kai headed down the stairs as the chilly air greeted him, reminding him how much he disliked winter. Two people were already down stairs, Irene and one of his new employee’s named Ryo who was in charge of the bar for the most part. He didn’t know to much about him except that he worked for Red Shield, but he did a decent bar tending job. Kai was very careful on just who was brought around the girls, raising children was by no means an easy task.

“Morning.” Kai’s voice lazily drawled, stifling a small yawn, rubbing his eyes to get what was left of the sleep out of his eye. “How you feeling today Irene?”

“Good.” Irene had been half-distracted by something in the kitchen, it still amused Kai slightly that even now she could be entertained by some of the most simple of things. Maybe her near death experience added with her natural personality made it possibly, so he thought anyway.

“Not gonna ask me how I am?” Ryo asked with mock hurt.

“You’re fine.” Kai said casually. “Probably don’t need anymore attention to blow up that ego of yours anymore.”

“Very funny.” Was the sarcastic response.

“So, anything new?” Kai reached into the nearby fridge, and was disappointed to find not much worth eating making it occur to him that it was probably time to go shopping. Not that he was looking forward to doing that sort of thing.


“You’re reporter friend called earlier. Something important he wanted to talk you about, left a message or something. I think he’s coming over today.” Ryo shrugged, taking a rather savage bite of his doughnut, jelly spilling out of it. Kai was sure he was going to get over weight if he kept those type of eating habits up, but what ever it was none of his business as long as he got his job done.

Great, if Okamura is coming that means Mao is coming to. Not that he really had anything truly against them, it was simply Mao was the type of person he liked to take in small doses, like his cold medicine. Okamura, on the other hand simply teased him about Irene and other things, he was never malicious and it was always in good fun and humor.(at least on his end) If anything Kai guessed that was the closes thing he would have to an older brother.

“Kai, I can’t make this work.” Kai turned to see the Sif trying to figure out how the blender worked. In fact, it looked like she had taken the liberty to try it out herself, making a huge mess because the top hadn’t been put on.

“No Irene. You forgot the top.” Kai came over, normally he would have been a bit more pissed but she hadn’t had to learn these seemingly simple things back where she was born. It was all up to him to teach her everything, he simply reminded himself that he had to be patient. Once she was shown something a few times, she caught on pretty quickly on her own.

Seeing her slightly dejected expression, Kai added. “I’m not mad and don’t worry about it, it’s a small mistake nothing to worry about.” He cleaned the orange mess with a nearby towel, rinsing it at least once before discarding the item. “Come closer and pay attention. You see, first thing you need to do is put what ever is you want to blend first. Then after that, you simply put the top back on.”

During the whole time, Irene had focused her full attention on him and didn’t say a single word until he finished demonstrating. Finally, she applied her new knowledge and got it right the first time. “Like..this?”

“Yea. Like that, good job. High five.” Kai held out his hand while Irene looked at it confused before realization settled in, seeing this performed on many “T.V.” programs. She returned the high five, but with a little to much force then she had intended. This made her immediately start to apologize to him knowing she had hurt him.

Kai winced, holding his arm, offering a smile, even if he felt like his arm was a wet noodle at the moment. “Hey don’t worry I’m tougher then I look. We have to work on control like I mentioned earlier before is all.”

“Thank you for showing me.”

“Naw, there’s no need to thank me now.” Kai was about to continue when he saw no other then Okamura knocking on the door, Mao close behind. Shrugging after thinking of why they were here so early before the shop even opened the door. Both of them had on winter clothes to protect them from the cold, he almost didn’t notice Lulu since she had been behind the two(much) taller people.

“Hey kid.” The reporter in a friendly matter and Kai gave a simple half-greeting back. The reporter already took a seat and made himself at home. He almost reached for his pocket for some smokes out of habit, before remembering the kids were still inside. Besides, Mao would have kicked his ass if he had went through with it, so he banished the thought for the time being.

“Irene, look we got for you.” Lulu went over to Irene excitedly with something wrapped up in a bundle paper.

“Hmm? This is..” Gently, she unwrapped what ever it was seeing a strange golden box with a symbol on it she had never seen before.

“It’s a memory box.” Mao’s voice called out, moving closer. “You can put memories in it, like pictures and little knick knacks.”

“That’s pretty nice of you.” Kai wasn’t to surprised, Mao didn’t seem to have a grudge against the girl anymore, rather she treated her more like a little sister. By the way Irene still acted at times, it wasn’t that far from the truth. “So, what brings you three over here?”

“Just a visit.” Okamura sipped some of his drink, placing it down. “We’ll, to tell you the truth I found something to I wanted to show you. It’s something very interesting I found on one our little trips.”

“You mean what we found you mean.” Mao corrected.

“Details.”

What could it be? And why do I care? “All right, what is it?” Kai asked, curiosity getting the better of him.

“I knew you’d come around. Take a lot at these.” The middle-aged man reached into his pocket and pulled out some pictures which Kai took. “These were taken a month or so ago, from what I know of them.”

The pictures seemed to be of murders, each more strange then the next. What really caught his eye was pictures of almost fossilized bodies, they clearly weren’t human but they didn’t resemble anything he had seen before either. “So you found some more stray Chiropteran. I don’t see what the big deal is.”

Okamura shook his head. “You’re thinking to simple kid. Remember how Diva and Saya were discovered? This means, A. another original, or B. Something completely different. The body structure is different, more human, at least outwardly. Inside it’s a mess.”

“So you’re saying it could be something else?” Mao asked, putting herself in the conversation whether she was welcomed or not. “Don’t tell it’s one of you’re crazy theories again.”

“It’s not crazy. I mean the evidence is there something is going on. Strange murders have been going way up around Rome and other parts of the world. It only really started when these thing’s were discovered-what ever you want to call em. To much of a coincidence for this to be happening for something not to be going on, don’t you think?” Okamura knew he had won the argument that nothing was going on, judging by the look on their faces. He mentally pat himself on the back. Looks like you still got it.

Kai shook his head. “I still don’t know.” I really hope it’s nothing, I don’t want to risk losing what peace and stability I have left from another long fight.

“Mull over it then, kid.” Okamura leaned more into his chair, deciding it was time for a change of subject. “On brighter news, Julia’s first kid is doing pretty well. David isn’t as stiff anymore.” He was going to say, ‘David didn’t act like he had a stick shoved up his ass 24/7' but didn’t want to corrupt Irene to early.

A strange look came on Irene’s face after the statement. “Where did their baby come from?” It was actually a genuine question.

“You don’t know?” Okamura started, “You see when a man and a woman love each other very much or had to much to drin-”

“Okamura!” Mao hissed, glaring at him. “Behave yourself!”

“Oh fine. I’ll tell you about the birds and the bee’s later Irene.” Okamura didn’t get to say anything else because Mao got mad at him, so he was forced to defend himself, either verbally or physically.

Kai simply put his head into his hands, it was going be a long day already.

* *

Solomon was by no means an impatient man. In fact, it was very rare for him to become hasty.

That didn’t mean he wasn’t with out his limits.

The Chevalier duty-at the least these days was devoted over watching Saya and the twins. It had been her wish to see them live peacefully with out harm, so he would uphold that to the best of his ability. What was making him slightly impatient was someone had seemed to take an interest in the twins, a very startling interest at that. Solomon had his sources since he still did have his share of the large company, even if his brothers had all ceased to be. And while they were certainly good at their jobs, they were a bit slow on obtaining information he needed to have a better grasp at the situation.

All Solomon knew was that they were good at covering their tracks, they had to be to be able to hide away from him like this even with all his resources. Add the fact Solomon watched the twins like a watch dog and they were still able to stay under his nose bothered him. If he had at least some idea who he was dealing with it would make things that much easier.

It was settled then. In order to fulfill his duty and keep his word he would have to travel to Japan in order to keep an eye out on things. He had other people who could keep an eye out for his company anyway-not that he needed it like a human but it helped him in numerous ways. Pressing a button underneath his desk, a black-haired came a few minutes later, clipboard in hand.

“What do you need help with Sir?”

“I want to take the private jet.” Solomon said, getting a coat from a nearby rack. “I’m heading to out-tell Croix he can keep things stable until my return.”

Slightly startled, the woman couldn’t help but ask. “Where are you going?”

“To Japan.” Solomon replied, and like that he was gone.
_________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________

Auth ors Notes: I don’t know exactly where I’m going with this but I decided to make the chapter relatively short until I got a feel if people like this one or not. In the next chapter it will be revealed what Moses and Karman have been up to. Kai and the others are the main characters this go around. Constructive criticism is very much appreciated.