Blood+ Fan Fiction ❯ Memories Of Yesterday And Today ❯ Turning Point ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

How long had it been since he payed his father a visit? Kai was ashamed because he couldn’t exactly remember and there was no excuse for it now that his long journey had now come to an end just months ago. There was no reason now why he couldn’t visit his family, his father, and Riku deserved that much at least. He knew the answer deep down why he hadn’t gone even when he had the chance, it brought back both negative and positive memories at the same time. Still, Kai couldn’t and he wouldn’t run away from it any longer, he had to face it.

Slowly, he stopped walking when he arrived at three graves-one of his father and the other of his little brother Riku. They didn’t even truly have a body to burry but a grave was made anyway in his memory even so. For a long time, he stood no sure of anything as he felt a number of mixed emotions that time had only healed to a small extent.

“Hey..Sorry I haven’t been around to visit lately. I guess I was trying to avoid it.” Kai started slowly. “There’s a lot that’s happened I’m not even sure where to start
. It’s over dad, that’s the good news. The fighting between humans and Chiropteran that is, there’s still some out there but not nearly as much. Saya’s doing good, she’s stronger now, not just physically but mentally too, I think you would’ve been proud. She’s sleeping now and I won’t see her for a while but I know she can finally rest easier now.”

“I met a lot of friends on my trip, and there even with me now. I think you would have liked
them, some actually started off as enemies before becoming friends. Funny how things work huh? But that’s one of the thing’s you taught me Saya and Riku, to expect the unexpected.” Kai smiled slightly, imaging what they would say. “One of them lives with me now, her name is Irene. No its mot like that dad, she’s just a good friend. I think you would have liked her to though...

Kai felt something wet slowly come from his eyes and slowly wiped them away. Tears? He thought he was over this by now, he guessed he was wrong.

Unnoticed to Kai
, a blue streak appeared behind them as the form of Irene became visible. He didn’t seem to notice her presence at first, lost in his thoughts. She was unsure how to approach him, how to comfort him as badly as she wanted to. The Sif stood there for a long time silent before deciding on something, slowly walking behind Kai and gently putting a hand on his shoulder. She wasn’t sure if it would help or even if she was doing it right but it felt...natural.

Not a word was spoken between the two, and neither really knew what to say to one another so the silence was decidedly comforting. Kai seemed to take some measure of comfort just by her presence alone, his body relaxed.

“What was he like? You’re father. What was he like?”

Kai was slightly surprised at the question but only for a moment and then slowly smiled. “My old man, he was something else. He was really kind and wise, he taught me Saya and...Riku a lot of what we know now.” The last part was said a bit painfully but it had been dulled over the years. “I try to follow in his foot steps but I’m not sure if I can.”

Irene was silent as he spoke and waited until he finished before saying anything. “Then maybe you should follow your own path, as Kai. He would have been proud of you if he saw you today, wouldn’t he?”

Just when he thought he had figured Irene out, she would surprise him. He guessed he shouldn’t have been surprised, his father always said people could surprise you no matter how long you knew them. A slow smile formed on his lips, Irene seemed to be able to do that often to him. “Yea. He would. Let’s go home Irene, I’m done today.” Both of them began walking away but Kai noticed something on Riku’s grave he hadn’t seen before causing him to stop.

A pink rose with one of Haji’s hair ribbons tied around it.

“Thank you Haji..” Kai softly and then turned to catch back up with Irene.


* *

The group had made it to the hospital with less then happy spirits, everyone was rather solemn after what had happened. Kai had been rushed off to the emergency room and the rest of his friends were not waiting, anxiously and impatiently. No one knew what to say to one another and an awkward and heavy silence had fell onto the party. Okamura was busy pretending playing with a card was the most interesting thing in the world, a black eye and a bruise but otherwise the reporter would live to tell another story. Sitting in one of the waiting chairs, Lulu looked like she wanted to say something but bit her tongue for once. Irene was silent, looking down at her hands and at nothing in particular at the same time. She had taken what happened the worse and most of the other’s were at a lost how to comfort her. Mao, was nowhere to be found but she had ran off to ‘talk’ to one of the doctors about Kai’s condition.

“I’m sure he’ll be ok.” Lulu said, gathering her will to speak. “Kai’s been through worse.”

Silent for another moment, the other Sif spoke softly though Lulu would still be able to hear it thanks to her senses. “I let him down. I let the twins be taken away and now he’s hurt. This is..this is the second time..”

Shifting a bit uncomfortably, Lulu knew she was referring to the time when Diva had..did that thing to Riku. She still didn’t understand all the details with her mind-set but she understood enough that it had been horrible, it seemed to have left some mark on Kai and Irene even now. It was true Irene hadn’t known the boy that long, but he had left an impression in that short period of time. It didn’t take years for someone to make an impact on you’re life, something that had proved upon Kai and Irene’s first meeting. She didn’t know how to comfort her friend, so she remained silent for now.

Irene kept her thoughts largely to herself but everyone could tell she was effected heavily by everything, it showed on her face and the way she carried herself. The young woman would never be good at hiding her emotions, at least not completely. This place, the hospital were they ‘cured’ people reminded her of Khirbet in a way. Which in turn only added to her uncomfortable time waiting. The smells reeked of something unfamiliar and unpleasant to her, all coming from different parts of the building. More then that, she could smell the scent of the dying and the sick and the faint feeling of hopelessness of the place made it where she would rather be anywhere but here if Kai wasn’t in there waiting-alone.

Irene decided she hated this place. What it felt like rather then what it was supposed to be.

But as bad as she felt, what about Kai? He had lost and been through so much and now to have the twins taken away from him, no them now was harsh. This wasn’t fair to any of them, but she was learning or maybe she knew from the very beginning life wasn’t easy or fair. The fight had been far to one-sided, she had been completely powerless against this new enemy what ever they were. Had the peace and lack of fighting made her weaker? She wasn’t sure. Irene didn’t like fighting, she had only did it in Khirbet because she had no other choice but now it didn’t matter. The battle had come to her instead, on their door step catching them unaware. Maybe..Maybe this was simply apart of her life that would never go away.


Looking to see what the others were doing, who for their part seemed to be trying to occupy themselves with unimportant things as they awaited news of Kai. These people were apart of her family now just as the Sif are. Irene realized that perhaps it wasn’t living peacefully that had caused her to get weaker, instead it was an effect of having others to worry about besides herself. That’s what was different now, not having to fight on a constant basis and balancing simply living.

“Y’know..” Okamura voice came to distract her from her thoughts. “When something’s bothering me and I’m waiting for it sometimes helps to do minor things.” He fished out a deck of cards. “Like these for example, my best friends besides T.V., smokes among other things.”

Tilting her head lightly, she looked at the cards. “I never played.”

“You my young friend need to hang around me more.” He shuffled the cards for a moment. “I’ll start off with a simple game and then we’ll move from there. I was-”

“Please calm down miss.”

“You said I could-”

“No we said you could wait outside the door. Now please, take a seat. They will be with you in a moment.”

Okamura had cut himself off when he noticed how ‘friendly’ Mao was being, which meant they had gotten into an argument and got pissed off at something. But what was new? As far as his opinion went, she was almost always pissed about one thing or another. Not that he would say that little comment out loud right now like he would normally. He had gotten thrashed by the freaky thing with out a face and he didn’t need any more wounds at the moment.

“Who do they think they are?!” Mao ranted angrily to no one specifically as she came back to the waiting group. “With the way their acting you’d think Kai was dying.” She realized her mistake a little to late, Irene got an hard to read expression on her face while Lulu just looked more worried.

“Nice Mao.” Was Okamura’s response as his trade mark sarcastic comments came into play.

“Shut up.” The girl turned to Irene. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean Kai was in that bad of shape I just..” Mao wasn’t sure what to say and for once, shut her mouth knowing she had done enough.

“It’s ok.” Irene’s voice sounded normal but quite, again everyone went silent for a moment.

“Aren’t you friends of Kai?” An old voice distracted them from their unpleasant thoughts as an older gentlemen came into view. “He’s a bit weak right now but fine. He just needs some rest, it’s a miracle he didn’t have any broken bones from what our X-rays showed.”


Everyone followed the doctor until he lead them to one of the rooms, opening it for them and simply letting them through with out a word. He thought about telling them about only staying for a little while before they had to leave but thought against it, they needed time. “I’ll be back to further check up him.” He said simply, and like that the doctor was gone.


Kai didn’t look to bad but he had defiantly seen better days. His skin was a bit pale and bruises were on various parts of his body, Okamura was surprised none of his bones had been broken as well come to think of it. Considering how they were able to break through a strong door and man handle two Sif, it was a feat worthy in itself however impossible or baffling.

As they stood there, Kai looked at the group. Irene seemed both relieved and worried at the same time, Lulu with her cheery expression and Mao, well being herself he guessed. Then there was Okamura, a black eye and a bruise near his forehead that wasn’t going away anytime soon. The first thing that came out of Kai’s mouth wasn’t something anyone was expecting.

“Okamura. You look like crap.”

At first no one responded, then Okamura began chuckling and oddly everyone else did(well almost everyone). Whether it was actually funny to them was unimportant, Kai had broken the heavy mood and that was what the group needed at the moment.

Once the tension had been lifted somewhat, Kai spoke again in a more somber tone. “Where are the twins?”


“That thing took them kid I’m sorry.” Okamura thought he should be the one to break the news, most likely against his better judgement.

Kai was quite for a long time, everyone was expecting him lash out or curse but surprisingly he took a deep breath instead, closing his eyes. If he broke down in front of everyone, everybody else would fall apart and if they did then nothing would get done. His father had always been strong for his family; like the single rock that defied the ocean waves, unmoving and unchanging. I’ll be their rock. He thought to himself.

“We’ll get them back.” Was the first thing that came out of his mouth, a determined tone taking over. “Their still alive I know that much, otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered taking the time to take them. We just need to find them.”

Everyone was slightly surprised by the lack of an outburst, at least Okamura and Mao were since they hadn’t been long enough to see his own personal growth.

“We’ll said.” The reporter could have clapped but that would have ruined the moment. “Course, it would be a bad idea to discuss ‘things’ here with so many people around. The problem would be finding out where our special friend could have taken them. That and...” Okamura counted on his fingers. “And travel money, lots of it. My hunch is we’ll be traveling a lot after this thing.” He felt excited despite himself, things had gotten a hell lot more interesting with this mysterious faceless enemy.

“Your hunches got us into plenty of trouble to.” Mao politely pointed out.

He ignored her good humor, putting both hands behind his head.“Hey, three out of five is pretty good intuition if you ask me. Besides, I know this time something big is in the works. I can almost taste it.”

The door began to open and instantly everyone stopped talking as someone stepped into the room, blonde short hair with a business suit instantly gave him away. It was surprising he was here at the current moment. Kai was the first one to speak.

“Solomon?”

* *

Karman and Moses had encountered a creature unlike anything they had run into before earlier. It had been lurking around the mansion and had instantly drawn the two male Sif to it. The presence of the thing alone felt twisted and wrong alone, they couldn’t understand why it gave them that feeling. Maybe it was due to the fact they weren’t human they could sense of malevolent-like presence from the creature. What ever the case had been, they never got a chance to see what the thing had been, it escaped them the last time they had chased it.


So now they waited on the roof tops for the creature to return like it had done in the past, only this time they would corner it. Both of the Sif were back in their robes instead of the casual clothing they had gotten used to wearing, an sign they were determined. It was rare these days to see any of the Sif back in the same clothes that had become more or less an uniform to them now.

Karman was anxious, his grip on his weapon never lessened as they headed towards their destination which happened to be Kai’s pub. Moses was silent as well as they stalked through the shadows as if they were apart of it itself, moving with precise and quick movements. They stopped once they reached the entrance of the pub, or rather what was left of it. The door had been kicked with great force, and instantly they went to investigate.

From the looks of things, a battle had taken place. Tables were broken in half and splintered, chairs were messed up beyond recognition, and the walls had been hit with something hard leaving a large impact.

“Irene, Lulu!” Karman looked around, not seeing them or anyone else but knowing they had been here due to their scent. He wouldn’t admit it but he was worried about others as well.

Moses stepped over some broken glass as he surveyed their surroundings, hood covering over his face. “What ever did this must have been powerful.” He walked up to look at a strange thing on the ground, picking it up. It was almost like saw dust but wasn’t, he didn’t know what it was.

Suddenly, Karman’s head jerked up and he looked towards one of the nearby closes buildings. Standing there was a figure, silent and waiting. Growling, the Sif’s temper got the better of him as his formed turned blue as he appeared on the same roof top at the stranger. Moses appeared along side him moments later in a dull blue flash of light.

“You there! Did you do this?!” Karman pointed his weapon at the intruder, who simply turned to face them. They looked almost like a normal human, except humans didn’t carry swords about eight feet long. Another abnormal characteristic was that they wore a drama mask often seen in plays, it’s features permanently etched into a creepy smile.

It stood there for a moment, and then ignoring them jumped to the other roof top and began running away. Karman growled again and soon gave chase with his friend close in tow. They followed the thing relentlessly, occasionally it would spar against its pursuers when it was cornered but otherwise seemed to have another objective in mind.

Finally, the strange thing stopped running and stood to face the two. Karman and Moses soon appeared again but before the hot-headed Sif could charge, Moses gave a word of warning to him. “Let’s not be reckless. We have no idea what this monster is capable of. It’s not a Chiropteran.”

“I know. Its still not going to get away, I’ll make sure of it.” Karman, then blurred forward, Moses close behind as they coordinated their attacks to end the fight quick and efficiently. Having no idea what it was or what it could do, it would be better to play it safe. As soon as they got into striking distance, their opponent swung the massive sword horizontally in an attempt to slice them in half. Years of experience was what saved them from being cut into half as they adjusted themselves in mid-air to avoid the blow.

Both Sif didn’t bother hesitating to take advantage of any and all openings, so they quickly appeared behind their opponent and swung their weapons. A loud clang sound was heard as it was block by the over sized sword, but Moses had managed to nick it’s face. The drama mask became undone and fell to the floor, revealing a faceless face. They didn’t get much time to dwell on it before it pushed them with great strength, Karman regained his balance after landing on his feet and Moses did the same.

“What ever it is, its strong.” Moses observed quietly. “However, that sword for its large length leaves it open slightly with each swing. We need to break its rhythm the next time it thrust and that will be our chance.”

Karman nodded. The plan made sense. “Right. Leave it to me.” He once again moved forward to attack it while Moses hung back for a moment waiting for the opening. Once more, the creature swung in an attempt to dice him to pieces, only this time from above. The leader of the Sif saw the brief break in its defense and capitalized on it. A streak of blue and a silver flash later, Moses appeared on the opposite side, Scythe in hand. The body of the creature was stiff, before it slowly fell apart, Moses had cut the lower body in half. Strangely, there was no blood or anything of that sort and it soon turned to ash which resembled saw dust.

Moving to the deceased foe, Moses watched the mask-the only thing left that the creature had existed in the first place.

“Just what the hell was that thing anyway?” Karman said.

Moses frowned. “I don’t know. I honestly don’t know. Let’s find Irene and the others, we should check to see if there safe.”