Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ A Reploid's Requiem ❯ Chapter 1: Sabotage and interdimensionnal travel. ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reploid's Requiem (A)
Chapter 1: Sabotage and interdimensionnal travel.
By The Hunterminator
 
Disclaimer: The first few parts of this chapter contain only characters and locales created by myself. Those are, more or less loosely based upon the RPG Maverick Hunter's: Beacons of hope which is based upon the Megaman X games which are the property of Capcom. This fanfic also contains characters and locales from Bubblegum Crisis which is not my property. This piece of fan fiction is fully free and not for sale or rent. If anyone makes money other than from voluntary donations from this piece of work, please notify the legal authorities.
 
Author Notes: I joined an rpg once, a pretty cool one but circumstances beyond my control forced me to leave shortly after joining. But like most of my characters, T942-REP007, also known as Trep, has stayed with me all this time, more than a year actually, continually begging for a comeback. This specific idea has floated about my cranium for quite a while and I have finally yielded to the overpowering power of ideas and put it on (electronic) paper. I will include many design specifications used in the series as background info. I love inventing technology so much that, for once having made a sci-fi fic, I must show just how much stuff I have floating in there. Feel free to ignore it if you want to.
 
------------------------------------------------------------
 
*************************
Global Electronic Mail System
*************************
Private Letter
*************************
Public Portion
*************************
From: T942-REP007
To: Whoever is currently in charge of the Maverick Hunters
*************************
Private Portion
Encryption Code 173957
*************************
To whoever receives this,
 
I know you people hate vigilantes, heck, I've been ordered to stand down by your goons plenty of times so you'll be happy to learn that my self-imposed mission is almost over. Actually, by the time you read this, I'll be either Dead, a Maverick, or happily turning myself in to the first Hunter patrol I find.
 
Whatever happens to me, you can be sure that the last working factory of the REP00 project will be permanently out of operations. In case you don't know what I'm talking about (You bloody people barely ever read history books) I'll give a quick rundown.
 
During the first Maverick war, when a sizable portion of the Maverick Hunter force was turned into Mavericks, a group of human scientists in the last known fully human army had initiated the REP00 project. The goal was to design a series of easily mass produced combat Reploids and the factories to build them.
 
Seven types of REP00 class Reploids had been designed and production was finally attaining acceptable levels when the artificial being that inspired the reploids, Megaman X in case you are completely hopeless history wise, managed to rally the remaining Hunters and kill the former Maverick Hunter leader Sigma for the first time.
 
The project was then deemed unnecessary and was promptly scrapped, all factories for the more dangerous types of REP00 units were dismantled and all the non programmed units were warehoused. After that, the project was promptly forgotten. An uncalculated amount of time later, I was accidentally activated by scavengers and I slowly auto programmed myself within a few years.
 
When the sixth Maverick war began, I joined the Maverick Hunters and was stationed at Maverick Hunter Base Alaska. Shortly thereafter, we were sent to the Former Valcartier Military base near the former Quebec City and it was found that the base was one of the places where the results of the REP00 project were stored.
 
Investigation showed that the recent infection of a sizable portion of the Reploid population by the Maverick Virus had been particularly catastrophic for the defenceless minds of the non programmed Reploids since they had all activated as Mavericks. This caused all of the REP00 installations to fall under Maverick hands and they lost no time activating the factories and very quickly building themselves an army of REP00 class Mavericks.
 
Very quickly, people became able to recognise a REP00 at first glance and thus, the only non Maverick REP00 reploid, namely me, found his life quickly becoming hell.
 
That's when I resigned from the Maverick Hunters and began systematically destroying the REP00 project facilities. I am happy to say that there is only a REP002 production facility left and not for long. I am, among other things, bringing a Class 6 Forbidden EMP bomb in case I am unable to disable the facility by myself.
 
Do not worry; I made sure that no civilian areas are within range of the blast although you can't really do anything about it anyway. I'm off now, to finally establish myself as a distinct individual, whether you or the Mavericks like it or not.
 
Not really caring for your feelings,
Trep
Official designation: T942-REP007
*************************
End of Private portion
*************************
End of Letter
*************************
Sending.....
Sent.
Query: Exit
Exiting Mail Interface.....
Disconnecting from GEMS.....
Disconnected.
*************************
 
Trep disconnected himself from the portable Satellite Dish and sighed happily. After years of work, he'd finally be done. With but a bit of trouble, he managed to sling what looked like a big metallic backpack on his back and walked towards his destination. A rifle clanged against his heavily armoured bulk with every step he took, and even though he carried quite a few tons of equipment, there was such a spring to his steps that he almost skipped across the desolate plain.
 
And, after an hour of travel, he found it. Having been built with practicality in mind, the facility was disturbingly lacking in the ominous final battle locale department, being plain, grey and squat. It resembled, and probably was, a bunker. Guarding it was a REP002 and a REP001, their mass produced faces easily recognised by Trep, one that he saw in mirrors too.
 
As soon as he cleared the hill, his large bulk was quickly spotted by the REP001. Looking like a walking tank was never really good for stealth. The Maverick's eyes widened in recognition and a growl escaped his lips which caused the REP002 to turn towards Trep too.
 
His eyes, too, widened and he quickly barked a command to activate the alarm and he pointed two of his arms at Trep, the tips opening to reveal plasma pistols. One of the REP001's hands, too, turned to a Plasma Pistol and the two mavericks promptly opened fire. Trep quickly brought his left arm forward and, from his forearm, a large rectangular shield of Cyan light expanded, easily blocking the shots while he kept running forward.
 
His right arm went to his hip and unhooked a long hilt and he held it securely in his hand. As soon as he was within range, the Reploid activated his beam sabre and the blade of cyan light made short work of the REP001, internal fluids pooling around the dying Maverick.
 
As the blade headed for him, the REP002 managed to grab it with one of his arms that ended with magnetic pincers, their magnetic shielding preventing the harmful energy from cutting through them. With a smirk, the Maverick activated a plasma knife at the end of another of his arms but he never got time to use it as a powerful punch impacted his head, stunning him long enough for a second one to break his neck.
 
Trep smirked sadistically as the lifeless body slumped to the ground. He quickly moved to the door and opened it with a kick, before promptly jumping back as shots hit around him. While he waited to see if the maverick firing at him would reveal himself, Trep unslung his rifle from his back and deactivated the safety mechanism.
 
Finally, a REP005 stepped out of cover, no doubt thinking he had killed the idiot that had tried to intrude. A shot through his right eye quickly disproved that theory. While the Maverick was roaring in pain, temporarily blinded by the sensory overload caused by the pain, Trep ran to him and unceremoniously cleaved him in half.
 
Trep looked around and smirked, he could quite easily see the REP002 production line, hard at work and he quickly went to the output section, seeing quite a few lifeless bodies, waiting for a mind. A few planted explosives later and all that was left of the production line and of the Mavericks to be were a few piles of twisted metals.
 
This was at this moment that another REP002 chose to stumble upon the intruder. Trep quickly saw quite a few differences from what was usual, of particular note was the large tank directly connected to his matter replication device that was on his back, and the pipes running from said tank to the uppermost pair of arm.
 
When two arms ending with welding tools lighted up in front of said arms, Trep quickly, and smartly, decided to jump for cover as the tank's content was revealed to be highly flammable as was proven by the stream of flames which almost caused Trep's armour plating to melt.
 
When the Maverick paused to inspect the result of his generous contribution to global warming, Trep jumped out of cover, his black armour glowing with a reddish hue. The vaguely arachnidan humanoid lost no time in sending a new stream of flames, which Trep managed to block with his shield.
 
After his mad rush caused his shield to tackle the Maverick, Trep lost no time and once again, his Sabre cleaved a maverick in half, but the blade igniting the content of the tank certainly was not the predicted outcome as the explosion washed over him. Had he not weighted a few tons, he would have most likely been blown clear across the room.
 
Instead, he stood there, glowing red from the heat and panting from the pain, his body informing him very clearly that his shield, and most of his body too actually, was close to overheating. The problem was somewhat taken care of when a water pipe was torn from the wall, the heat being slowly absorbed by the water and steam quickly filling the room.
 
The facility had, after all, been built to be used by humans so the basic necessities were present. After the trial of the pyromaniac Maverick, the few remaining REP001 were dealt with swiftly and most of the production lines had been disabled, but that's when the commander of the facility finally caught up with the intruder.
 
The Maverick Hunter files helpfully identified him as the Plasma Gorilla but that was a wholly inadequate name to describe the beast that lumbered around the main production room. He had been a REP006 once, but the face had been modified to look vaguely simian and the arms were longer than usual.
 
The truly terrifying part was the weaponry; the right forearm was now a large gattling plasma cannon, the huge weapon whining as it rotated, ready to send a quasi endless stream of plasma bullets. The other weapon was an heavy plasma artillery that the lumbering hulk used as both an armour piercing weapon and as a battering ram, knocking already useless machinery out of his way.
 
As he moved machinery off his path, his gattling cannon fired in bursts in a constant attempt to kill Trep who kept running from cover to cover while muttering a string of curses.
 
Whenever he found cover that could resist the stream of plasma bullets, the artillery would roar and a ball of super heated plasma would tear the indisposing piece of machinery apart. Very quickly, Trep could honestly say that he couldn't win alone against this guy, his already in bad shape shield wouldn't last a minute if he attempted a straightforward rush and the Maverick's armour was thick enough to stop the bullets from the primitive rifle.
 
Using the remote he had, Trep programmed the EMP bomb he had on his back. After the timer was set and had begun ticking down, Trep threw it to a corner and ran the other way. From the Maverick's point of view, it looked like an attempt at confusing him by throwing machinery where he wouldn't go but the Plasma Gorilla had very good target tracking skill, such a trick would never distract him.
 
Thus it was that the Maverick did what Trep hoped he would, he ignored the bomb. As the seconds ticked by, the battle continued. Not thinking anymore about survival caused a dramatic change in Trep's fighting style as he managed to wedge his rifle between two neck armour plates and fired deep into his foe's neck, causing him to roar in pain and bat the pesky Reploid away.
 
While Trep was digging himself from the debris from the large machine he had crashed into, the Maverick was struggling to remove the painful obstruction that prevented him from looking forward.
 
By the time he managed to pull the twisted rifle out by using both of his weapons to grasp it, Trep had moved to him and was slashing away, slowly cutting away pieces of armour, though not nearly fast enough to kill his opponent without getting killed. The lumbering beast was going to bat him away again when a beep from his sensors signalled the first phase of an EMP bomb blowing up.
 
As the first wave of energy swept through the base, destroying all the EMP protections, the Maverick feared for his life. Trep knew what was coming and had only one thing to say, "Oh no you don't!" And he grabbed hold of the beast from behind. This manoeuvre managed to slow the Maverick down but barely enough for him to get brushed by the bomb's blast as he activated his teleportation device, bringing the Reploid on his back with him.
 
As they both reappeared, Trep gasped. They were in the middle of an inhabited city, and the Maverick, knowing that the Hunters would quickly apprehend any maverick so close to so many humans, humanity having been classified an endangered species, he decided to have as much fun as he could while still alive. Trep's attempt at stopping him from mauling down civilians with gattling fire only got him batted away with a powerful swing of the artillery that sent him crashing through a building's wall.
 
A low growl of fury rose from the Reploid's throat as he witnessed once again the sheer brutality that Mavericks tended to exhibit in populated areas. In anger, he grabbed a parked car on the side, not noticing that it had nothing to do with the technology he was used to, and threw it at the Maverick. Thus begun a prime example of two beings, way stronger than should be possible, bashing each other.
 
Random objects, balls of plasma and debris flew everywhere as any finesse or training was slowly going out the window, the two behemoths getting tired of the fight and wanting nothing more than to end it as fast as possible.
 
Although outclassed in the raw power department, Trep fought quite well. His obscene amount of armour and defensive skills honed through a few years of vigilante work let him come back from hit after hit. Very fast, the Maverick was throwing insults along the lines of "Why won't you just bloody die you goddamn Hunter?" To which Trep would reply along the lines of "Hey, don't you go callin' <b>me</b> a Hunter you oversized monkey."
 
It truly was a fine moment in the history of battle… bah who am I kidding, it was just an oversized bar brawl by the end of it. The only difference being the use of plasma weaponry as Trep managed to get a slice in once in a while and the Plasma Gorilla answered in kind, entire buildings collapsing when he missed with his Artillery Cannon.
 
It is hardly surprising when a group of police cars bearing the insignia of the ADPolice drove in. As soon as the cars stopped, the occupants rushed out with missile launchers and started taking pot-shots at what seemed to be two rampaging Boomers, although most of the shots went to the one who looked the most dangerous, the Maverick.
 
Their arrival had various effects. For one, the battlefield was now even more chaotic, especially with the Maverick replying to the missile fire, quickly destroying most of the police cars. Trep also did some damage, a few cars getting chopped in half by an irritated swipe at the idiots that couldn't see the difference between a Maverick and a Reploid.
 
Of course, one cannot have two rampaging boomer look-alikes without the Knight Sabers walking in and adding their own bit of chaos to the battlefield. Trep glanced at what he thought was an overeager maverick hunter painted in green jumping at his opponent. He shrugged and stepped back but that's when he felt a searing pain in his shoulder.
 
A look revealed a large spike stuck deep into his shoulder, and a further glanced showed a blue painted maverick hunter who was obviously the cause. Trep looked around and quickly noted the situation.
 
There were exactly ten human police officers left who were focussing on the only one who had killed people. Good, those guys had a brain at least. Besides them, there were four maverick hunters. Two of them, a white and a green, were focussing on the maverick, one was shooting at him, rectification, charging at him in a display of recklessness that was bound to get her killed someday.
 
The last one was hanging back and her purpose was revealed when the reploid's sensor and communication devices were suddenly scrambled into uselessness. Having a better idea of the situation, Trep hooked his beamsaber back to his hip and his palm opened, revealing his EMP taser.
 
The blue reploid chose that moment to reach him and he batted her aside, running past her and slapping his palm across the pink hunter's face. The former hunter let her slump lifeless to the ground as his electronics cleared up. Blue, of course, still wouldn't let up as another spike ran through Trep's left forearm.
 
He growled and clamped his hand around her head, activating the EMP taser once again and thus knocking her out as well. A quick sensor sweep revealed that the other two, while much lighter than he was, we're beating the plasma gorilla to scraps. Guessing that thus would be his fate if he fought them without more knowledge, Trep decided to study them with the help of a specimen.
 
The former hunter slung blue over his shoulder and ran away before the other two could go after him.
 
------------------------------------------------------------
 
Background Info:
 
------------------------------------------------------------
 
REP00 Project Unit specifications:
 
All REP00 units share a few characteristics. Visually, they all have the same perfectly average features - nothing to give them any individuality. They also all usually port a standard issue teleportation device for quick deployment from one tagged location to the other.
 
*************************
 
REP001 : Field Command Unit
 
This unit was designed first and, as such, fulfills the most critical role, field commanding. Standard programming includes basic training in every combat related skill to give as much versatility as possible as well as military strategy. Physically, the REP001 is not very impressive.
 
Mostly human looking with average combat abilities, standard weaponry includes a hand mounted plasma pistol and a beam knife. Other equipment includes an internal GPS system, an internal GEMS link and advanced FOF identification scanners.
 
Maverick REP001 units usually serve as main troopers due to their versatility and lack of command programming due to all those infected having never been programmed prior to infection. They usually keep their human appearance.
 
*************************
 
REP002 : Field Support Unit
 
This unit was designed to provide technical support on the field. Standard programming includes reparation of Reploids, construction of automated combat equipment, hacking, welding, silent and noisy breaching techniques and basic medical skills. Physically, the REP002 has 6 upper limbs giving a vaguely arachnidan appearance.
 
Each arm contains multiple tools that range from welding to monomolecular scalpel. Although no weaponry is present, quite a few of the tools can be used as emergency weapons. Internal equipment includes close range deep scanning equipment to gain information on what the REP002 is going to work on and a basic matter replication device.
 
Maverick REP002 units usually modify themselves to increase the resemblance to an arachnid and modify their tools to turn them into weapons. An example of note is the Frost Widower who modified himself to have four very powerful Liquid Nitrogen launchers and two kinetic bolt launchers to shatter his frozen victims.
 
*************************
 
REP003 : Air Support Unit
 
This unit was designed to provide scouting and air support. Standard programming includes a powerful database of all known weapons and ways to identify them; advanced scanner operations and multiple VTOL air combat tactics. Physically, the REP003 lacks any legs, everything below the torso having been replaced with a powerful VTOL anti Gravity system.
 
Standard weaponry usually includes a Heavy Plasma Rifle instead of the left arm and a Beam Spear. They also usually carry contact triggered explosives. Internal equipment includes Long Range scanner and powerful visual input analysis equipment for quick identification.
 
Maverick REP003 will usually go for a flying insect's appearance such as bees and hornets while only changing their weaponry, the scanning equipment usually being very useful to them. A good example is the Marksman Wasp that specialised as an airborne sniper.
 
*************************
 
REP004 : Stealth Combat Unit
 
This unit was designed with minimal armour and maximal system camouflage to make the REP004 almost impossible to hear, detect or see. Standard programming includes all manners of Black Ops tactics, from stealth techniques to assassination tricks.
 
Physically, the REP004 is lithe and black, looking a lot like a young human wearing a stealth suit. Weapons are variable, but the standard payload consists of a Monomolecular Sabre, a silenced EMP/Taser bullet Rifle and a hand mounted Plasma Pistol.
 
Other equipment includes optical camouflage and low light optical systems. Being one of the types of REP00 units for which production is now impossible, Mavericks of this type are very rare, usually staying hidden in wait of orders from their leader.
 
*************************
 
REP005 : Standard Combat unit
 
This unit was designed to be the standard warrior in the REP00 combat groups. Programming is usually very similar to standard army training. Physically, the REP005 looks like a very muscular man wearing heavy armour.
 
Weapons are modular and thus usually varied but will usually be a long range weapon such as a Plasma Rifle, heavy armour killing weapons such as a heavy missile launcher, and a close range weapon such as a Beam Sabre. There is usually no other equipment except perhaps for the standard issue teleportation device for quick deployment.
 
Maverick REP005 units are, although not as frequent as the REP001 and REP002, a somewhat common sight. REP005 production facilities were somewhat rare though, many having been abandoned during construction. Mavericks of this type usually like to keep a mostly human look and paint themselves in camouflage tones to mock their previous purpose.
 
*************************
 
REP006 : Heavy Long Range Support Unit
 
This unit was designed to provide support fire, basically being a somewhat human looking artillery. Programming usually includes long range firing tactics. Physically, the REP006 is a behemoth sized man in heavy armour with cannons for arms and missile boxes on their back, giving them an hunchback like look.
 
Weapons are varied and heavy, usually selected for their range. They port weapons such as plasma cannons, SAM launchers, Heavy Salvo Missile Launchers and the. Mavericks of this type are very rare, usually being hunted down swiftly as soon as one is reported.
 
The Plasma Gorilla is an heavily modified version of the REP006, having two Plasma based heavy weapons is not really that strange, most REP006 units are that way but the effect of the removal of all the missile launchers gave him plenty of excess power to make himself much stronger than usual, letting him bat away a few tons of machinery with ease..
 
*************************
 
REP007 : Heavy Close Combat Unit
 
Trep's type, and a close range version of the REP006, this unit is designed to be a walking wall, protecting the less armoured members of their team. Programming includes fencing techniques, urban combat tactics and basic long range weapon operations. Physically, the REP007 looks a lot like a REP006 but without the cannons or the missiles.
 
Standard Weapons are a Heavy Beam Sabre and a Heavy Hand Mounted Plasma Pistol. Other equipment includes the Plasma Riot Shield Generator on the left arm. Trep has modified himself by removing the Plasma Pistol and replacing with a light EMP/Taser gauntlet and the extra power is used to make the Beam Sabre and the Beam Shield more powerful.
 
To counteract the lack of ranged weaponry, he carries around an old marksman's rifle. Maverick REP007 units are, much like the REP006, very rare, usually being hunted at the slightest hint of Maverick behaviour.
 
*************************