Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
**************************************************

The Bubble Gum Crisis OVA's (which this story is based on) are copyrighted by
Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little
while for non-monetary reasons. I can be contacted at the Email address above.
Serious C&C will be accepted, out-and-out flames will result in a Boomer
or two being sent after you, once they get around to building them.



Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe . . .

*************************************************

Ch apter 4

GENOM Tower
MegaTokyo, Japan
Friday, December 21, 2035
8:26am

Quincy stared out the office window. "What is the latest on MALCORP's search for Janie VanDell?"

A tall, thin man with thick glasses answered him. "They haven't found her yet."

Quincy exhaled slowly. "Mr. Faust, I knew that much when I awoke this morning. How close are they to finding her?"

Faust adjusted his glasses. "Mallory and his people landed at the airport about an hour ago. We've just learned they've planned to increase their presence on the street. They've also increased their reward for finding the girl to a million Yen."

"Indeed?" Quincy stared out the window for a full ten seconds before he continued. "I want our security at all GENOM facilities increased to maximum."

"Yes sir."

"What has GENOM New York discovered about the `event' that occurred on the morning of the 20th?"

"It appears that half a dozen BU-55C were escorting a girl that fit the description of Janie VanDell out of the Fairline Hotel. They had managed to reach the street when they were attacked by at least half a dozen individuals wearing advanced design hardsuits."

Quincy turned to look at Faust. "Black hardsuits with dark gold highlights?"

"Yes Sir."

Quincy turned back to the window. "What happened then?"

"The entire unit of BU-55Cs was quickly eliminated, but then another half dozen BU-12C Combat Boomers were released from a nearby tractor trailer. They drew the attention of the attackers until the sole C-series Female Boomer and the girl escaped."

"Has the destroyed Boomers been traced yet?"

"Yes Sir." Faust adjusted his glasses before continuing. "The serial numbers match models that have been reported missing or destroyed over the last two years, from GENOM facilities all over the world."

"I see." Quincy turned and sat. He leveled his gaze at Faust. "Someone is using GENOM to hide themselves, and I don't like it."

"No Sir."

"Alert all GENOM towers. I want all reports on missing or destroyed Boomers for the last three years reexamined. Any reports that cannot be verified, I want forwarded here. I want a team of our best researchers to pull apart those reports, starting with the ones `discovered' in New York. I want a solid number of Boomers that GENOM is missing."

"Yes Sir."

"I want the report in twenty-four hours."

Faust's mouth dropped open in shock, but he quickly recovered. "Anything else?"

"I want you to head this project. You have the highest priority for the next twenty-four hours. Dismissed."

Faust left quickly, and Quincy turned and stared out the window again. His smile was cold as he watched the city below him.

**********

G&B Research lab G-46
MegaTokyo, Japan
Friday, December 21, 2035
8:57am

Mclaren stalked down the corridor, his face twisted up in anger.

The corridor was narrow, its walls a dull gray in color. The floor was the same shade of gray. Even the ceiling was gray. Even the sliding doors he was approaching was the same gray. The only thing that wasn't gray was the white lab coat he wore. He hated it all - the gray corridors, the lack of female . . . companionship, but most of all, he hated the man he was working for.

The doors opened as he reached them. He passed through them without slowing. "Bradley!" he snapped in English. "What in hell do you want now?"

The man he was addressing was standing on a platform in the middle of the room. He turned slowly to look at Mclaren. Tall and lean, Carlton Bradley looked every bit a successful businessman. He also has the soul of a snake, thought Mclaren.Worse then his father ever was.

"Ah, Doctor Mclaren," replied Bradley, also in English. "I have some interesting information you should be interested in."

"And what's that?"

"We have come into possession of plans for a stronger force shield."

"Oh?" Mclaren put as much contempt as he could into his voice. He didn't dare ask how Bradley came into possession of the plans. "Better then those shield generators you had me install on these two CU-5Ts from DARSTAR?"

"Oh, much stronger, Doctor, much stronger." If Bradley was irritated at Mclaren, he didn't show it. "If the figures check out, they should be strong enough to withstand five times the punishment of the designs in the CU-5Ts."

"Five times? At what power cost? Those generators took 30 percent of the CU-5T's total power output, and barely lasted four minutes against simple firearms!"

"It was disappointing that the shields had failed by the time the Knight Sabers arrived on the scene," replied Bradley with a shrug. "But the figures show that we can cut back the power usage with the new design to as low as 15 percent."

Mclaren glared at Bradley. "When can I see the design?"

"In a couple of days." Bradley's face became a mask, and his voice grew cold. "Remember, Doctor. You are here only at my sufferance. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, you're still sitting in prison, serving a thirty-year term for designing an illegal combat Boomer. I got you out with no one the wiser, I can put you back just as easily."

"Has anyone told you that you're a real Bastard?"

Bradley's smile was cold. "My parents were married to each other before I was born, despite my father's extra . . . activities. I will talk to you tomorrow. Good bye, Doctor." With the last word still echoing in the chamber, Bradley's image faded from the platform.

Mclaren clenched his fists and stared at the platform for a long time.

**********

AD Police Headquarters
MegaTokyo, Japan
Friday, December 21, 2035
9:09am

Nene slipped into the main squad room unnoticed by the rest of the officers. "Hey guys!" she said brightly. "How are things?. . . . " Her voice trailed off as she realized that everyone was looking at the chief's office, despite the fact the shades had been drawn. She slid up to one of the officers nearest the door. "Hey, Rob!" she hissed. "What's happening in the chief's office?"

Robert Madson, one of the AD police's computer techs, whispered to her out of the corner of his mouth. "Ten minutes ago, Leon came through here like a rampaging Boomer, and made a beeline for the chief's office. He slammed the door shut and pulled the shades."

"And that's it?"

"We haven't heard any shots yet, so I guess the Chief's still breathing."

Nene opened her mouth to argue, but changed her mind. "It's about last night's Boomer incident in District 6, isn't it?"

Madson nodded and readjusted his glasses. "The final AD casualties' list was ten dead, another fifteen wounded. About the same numbers for the civilians who got caught in the crossfire. So, Leon's got reason to be pissed."

"Oh no," said Nene in dismay. "Did they manage to stop them?"

"The Knight Sabers showed up and took down both Boomers very quickly. I don't think that helped Leon's temper any."

The door to the chief's office flew open, and Leon stalked out, his face a mask of fury. Daley trailed behind, looking stunned.

"I think it's time to clear out," murmured Madson. "See you later, Nene." With that, the officer slipped out of the room.

Leon's stride didn't slow as he headed for the door. Nene thought about speaking to him before he got past her, but the hard look he gave her decided for her. She stepped aside and smiled weakly at him, but he ignored her and strode out of the room.

She stared out after him, then decided she needed to talk to him. Before she could move, she felt a hand on her arm. She turned to see a worried-looking Daley standing there.

"We have to talk, Nene," he said grimly. "Let's go to the cafeteria. I'm buying."

**********