Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
**************************************************

The Bubble Gum Crisis OVA's (which this story is based on) are copyrighted by
Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little
while for non-monetary reasons. I can be contacted at the Email address above.
Serious C&C will be accepted, out-and-out flames will result in a Boomer
or two being sent after you, once they get around to building them.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe . . .

*************************************************


Chapter 13

Sylia's Apartment
Saturday, December 22, 2035
2:56am

Sylia stood at the window of her apartment, an almost full cup of coffee in her hands. Outside, the city was almost asleep, a slumbering giant in the darkness. She watched the lights of the few cars that were on the street, her thoughts on a street she'd been on less then four hours ago.

She couldn't sleep. The entire incident replayed itself in her mind repeatedly....

. . . Without thought, she turned and started tracking the closer of the two figures running towards her. They had appeared from an alley half a block down the street. In the dim light, all Sylia could make out was they both males, wore the worn clothing of street people, and carried assault rifles.

The N-Police on some type of raid? she thought. Where are the sirens, and the uniformed officers?

AD Police!" she yelled at them. "Identify yourself!"

The nearer figure stopped fifty meters away, snapped the assault rifle he carried to his shoulder and opened fire. The muzzle vomited flame, and a high pitched ripping sound started.

Damn! That answers my question! Sylia dropped to one knee and fired twice, the flat crack of her pistol startling in the once silent night. Her target folded over and collapsed, the rifle falling out of his hand and clattering on the street. Without pause, Sylia started tracking the other target. Before she could fire, the figure threw himself into a darken doorway thirty meters down the street from her. . . .

She shivered, and sipped the lukewarm coffee. What's wrong with me? she thought savagely. The bastard tried to kill me! Why am I wondering if I did the right thing? Or am I wondering how I managed to kill him without thinking about it?

She turned to look at the envelope Fargo had given her. It laid opened on the table behind her, forgotten for the last half hour. The contents consisted of a single sheet of paper, neatly typed. She picked it up and read it again.

Knight Sabers,

Forgive this clumsy way of contacting you, but it is necessary for everyone
concerned. I am the leader of a group like yours, a mercenary team with access
to hardsuits. Business has forced us to come to MegaTokyo. Be assured that you
are not our target in any way, shape, or form. We also do not knowingly work for
GENOM, and never will.

Also, be assured that the object we are here to retrieve is the property of
our employers, that was stolen from them several days ago, and we have every right
to reclaim the object for our employers. I will personally guarantee the object
in question will never be directed towards you. In fact, if we do not retrieve the
object, it could affect the future efforts of your team in this city.


Thank you for your time and trouble,
Knight One, The Black Knights.

She shook her head slowly as she put it down on the table. The letter read as part business letter, part challenge, and part plea not to interfere. From what she'd learned over the last day or so, it appeared that MALCORP didn't trust the Knight Sabers. Yet, someone knew enough to find her regular contact, pass along the letter, then follow him to the meeting site.

She went over to the couch, and sat down. Somehow, Knight One knew her childhood nickname. She replayed the conversation in the pool hall in her mind, trying to remember if Fargo mentioned her name at any time. Their entire conversation might have been overheard, with the Knight doing the listening.

After several minutes, she frowned. Fargo hadn't used her name at anytime during the meeting. The only time he'd use it was after the meeting, when he'd charged out of the poolhall - after Knight One had called her by nickname twice.

She thought about the conversation the three had after the Knight had landed in front of them. Strange, the Knight didn't say her name after Fargo came out into the street, referring to her only as Fargo's `contact'. As if the Knight didn't want Fargo to know what had happened.

She closed her eyes and tried to put it altogether. On the table in front of her, a small light on her Knight Saber transmitter was blinking on and off rapidly.

**********

Warehouse #41526584
Yokohama District
Saturday, December 22, 2035
2:55am

Leon looked the warehouse dubiously as Jeena stopped the car near the small entrance door. "Nice place."

"Don't blame me," replied Jeena, as she turned off the engine. "All Mr. Mallory told me was find you and bring you here. I'm as much in the dark on what he wants as you are."

They both got out of the car. Leon pulled out his pistol and double checked the cylinder. Jeena did the same, each taking a small comfort in the ritual.

"Ready, Partner?" asked Leon.

"I'm always ready."

"Fine," said a voice from the darkness nearby. "Now, if you're finish acting like cowboys, Mr. Mallory wants to see you right this minute."

Two forms loomed out of the shadows. The low light glinted off burnished black armor with dark gold highlights. A small insignia - a black knight's head on a gold shield - was on the hardsuit's right breast.

Leon found himself reaching for his pistol before one of the newcomers raised a hand. "Don't bother, Inspector," said the same voice who had spoken from the darkness. It was a female voice, but electronically distorted to disguised it. "Your firearm would not be effective against these hardsuits."

Leon slowly brought his empty hand out of his coat. "The Black Knights?"

The Knight nodded. "I see you've heard of us."

"I make it a point of knowing all the major mercenary outfits. You're working for MALCORP?"

"At the current time. This way."

With the spokesperson leading the way, the four of them entered the warehouse through a door hidden in the shadows. Inside, there was a great deal of activity, as at least dozen people were working on reading for something. Leon saw several other hardsuited members of the Black
Knights moving around,while a couple of others were being assisted by technicians wearing gray overalls. Several more were sitting at several tables loaded with electronic equipment. Still other technicians were working on a trio of ugly looking helicopters. A small group of grim looking people were standing around a small table placed just outside the warehouse's office.

Greg Mallory looked up as Leon and the others approached them. "You finally got my message?"

Leon nodded. "I turn up a possible lead on Janie just before Jeena found me."

"It took me some time to find him," said Jeena causally. "I'd forgotten how many places there are down in that neck of the woods."

Mallory was dressed in a gray jumpsuit, with a holstered pistol on a belt around his hip. "No time for beating around the bush. What have you got?"

"One of my sources told me that Gulf and Bradley Japan brought in a Doctor Yin Zin-Choon late last week. He's a specialist in informational retrieval."

"I've heard of him. What else?"

"That the local head of G and B is itching for a fight against GENOM."

"Carlton Bradley?"

"And his sister too."

"Damn." Mallory looked down at the table. "Someone's been moving against the freelancers MALCORP hired to find Janie."

Leon nodded. "That's what my contact told me. I -"

"Sir!" shouted a technician sitting at one of the tables. "There's been an incident in Tinsel City. At least five people dead, and there's reports that it all started with two guys chasing a girl matching Janie VanDell's description."

Mallory's head turned towards the technician. "I want confirmation as soon as possible." He looked at one of the men standing around the table. "How long until the Rattlesnakes are ready?"

"Ten minutes."

"You have five."

The man nodded and sprinted off towards the helicopters, his voice sharp and demanding. The technician monitoring the Police communications spoke up again. "The report is confirmed, sir. Also, the ADP just had one of their patrol chopper shot out of the sky. He was tracking two cars that matched the description of the ones seen in Tinsel City."

"Last know locations of the cars?"

"Coastal Highway, District Six."

"Less then ten kilometers away by air," muttered Mallory, looking down at the map before him. He turned and shouted "All Knights! Suit up and get ready to move out!"

The small knot of people around him dissolved as they moved away from the table. Mallory unhooked the gun belt around his waist and placed it on the table. He looked up at Leon and Jeena while he started unzipping the jumpsuit. "Either one of you have gunnery experience?"

"We both do," said Jeena quickly. "Aerial and ground."

"Good. Rattler Two and Three need experienced gunners. It seems our regular gunners both come down with a bad case of food poisoning. Go over and get a quick rundown on the weapon systems."

Jeena nodded, and strode off. Leon stood and watched his new boss. Mallory finished stripping off the jumpsuit. He was wearing a tight fitting suit that Leon reconized as innerwear for a hardsuit pilot. "You're going out with the Knights?" he asked.

"No, I'm going to lead the Knights out there," said Mallory defiantly. "And I know what I'm doing. Who do you think formed the Black Knights to begin with?" He motioned with his head towards the helicopters. "You'd better get going. It's an even bet this entire event is a trap
designed to draw us out into the open. If so, we're going to need everyone to survive this."

Leon nodded and jogged towards the Rattlesnakes.

**********