Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 16

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
**************************************************

The Bubble Gum Crisis OVA's (which this story is based on) are copyrighted by
Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little
while for non-monetary reasons. I can be contacted at the Email address above.
Serious C&C will be accepted, out-and-out flames will result in a Boomer
or two being sent after you, once they get around to building them.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe . . .

*************************************************

Ch apter 16

Gulf and Bradley - Japan Headquarters
MegaTokyo, Japan
Saturday, December 22, 2035
3:24am

"Status!" snapped Cora, her eyes flashing in anger. Her plan was beginning to fall apart. She hadn't counted on both the Black Knights and the Knight Sabers arriving at the same time in the target area, and the lethal gunships the Black Knights were using in their assault.

One of the techs looked up at her, his face taking on an eerie look from the light on his screen. "The Decoy team has lost two Boomers so far. Response team Able is down to three Boomers, Team Baker is down to four."

"Damn!" She whirled toward another tech. "How much time left until the satellite is in position?"

"Four minutes. We can start override procedures in three minutes, fifteen seconds."

"Can you still pull this off?" asked Carlton quietly.

Cora glanced at her brother. He watched her reaction silently, his face showing no emotion. Ozu was taking a polite interest in the ceiling overhead.

She nodded and looked away. She wouldn't get any help there. She would have to commit the reserves. She had wanted to keep them ready to mop up any survivors after the orbital attack, but there was no choice now.

"Right." She turned to the first tech. "Activate Charlie Team, and send them in. Tell Teams Able and Baker that they are to hold both The Black Knights and the Knight Sabers in their current location at all costs. As soon as Charlie moves in, they are to pull back and contain the perimeter."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Without looking at the second tech, she said, "As soon as the satellite is in range, begin override procedures."

"Understood."

She looked at her brother again. "This will work."

Carlton folded his arms, and stared at the screen in front of him. "We shall see, sister. We shall see."

**********

Highway 17
District 6
Saturday, December 22, 2035
3:25am

Sylia landed gracefully on the roadway half a second before Linna and Nene. Behind the three Sabers, four large Motoslaves landed with less grace, but with more authority.

Sylia opened her commline. "Anyone see Priss?"

"Over there!" shouted Nene, pointing off to the left.

Sylia heard the bike before she saw it. The well-known red and white bike roared out of the smoke and sped toward them. The rider waved at them, then veered off to head toward the Knight Wing.

"Nene, cover our rear with Priss's and your Motorslaves. Linna and I are going to go link up with Knight One and his people."

"Right!"

Sylia ran easily toward the battle around the cars, followed by Linna and their Motoslaves. As they reached the halfway point, her channel with the Knight Wing came to life. "Priss is aboard, Sis," said Mackie. "I'm going to move the Knight Wing to a higher altitude, then come back in once Priss is ready."

"Sounds good," replied Sylia. "After you do that, stay clear of the combat area until I call you."

"Understood. Mackie out."

Combat area? Try a war zone. The area was alive with explosions, smoke, fire, lasers and tracers. The sounds matched the sight around them, violent and continual. How many Boomers are there out here? she thought. And how many Knights?

She opened the comm channel she and Knight One had agreed on. "White Saber to Knight One. We are down and approaching your position."

There was silence for a second, then Knight One replied. "Understood, White Saber. Be advised that two of the Boomers have broken off their attacks against us, and are heading your way on thrusters. You should see them in about five seconds."

As if on cue, two BU-55s Boomers, their bluish metallic skin glittering in the uneven light, shot out of the smoke toward Sylia, closing rapidly. "I see them. White Saber out." She switched back over to the team comm channel, and said, "I've got the one on the right."

"I've got the one on the left," replied Linna, moving away from Sylia at an angle, pulling her target away from the other Boomer. Her Motoslaves followed behind her, firing its machine cannon at the charging Boomer in an attempt to weaken it.

Sylia ran toward her target, focusing all the Boomer's attention on her. Thirty meters from the quickly closing Boomer, She deployed her wings and leapt into the air. The Boomer lunging at her slowed to track her, its arm mounted laser ready to fire. As Sylia reached the top of her leap, her Motoslaves opened fire on the distracted Boomer with its massive MG-442 machine cannon. A blast of 35mm rounds passed under the airborne Saber, and ripped into the Cyberdroid, shattering armor, and shredding the Boomer's right arm.

Staggered by the unexpected attack, the Boomer was slow to respond to Sylia's next movement. She flipped forward, and both of the hardsuit's laserswords snapped into place. The Boomer recover just in time to receive a hard sidekick in the face that broke the Cyberdroid's
jaw, and smashed the mouth laser's mirrors.

Using the kick to propel her, Sylia did a tight backflip, and landed right in front of the damaged Boomer. As her feet touched the roadway, she crossed her arms in front of her, then snapped them out in a short tight motion, the twin laserswords disemboweling the Boomer. As the Boomer dropped to one knee, Sylia fired both arm lasers into its head, destroying it.

As the Boomer dropped to the ground, Sylia turned to see Linna's progress with her target. She was in time to see Linna and her Motoslave team up to finish off their badly battered Boomer.

Unlike Sylia's Typhoon, Linna's Motoslaves carried a smaller, pistol-like hand-cannon, which it could fire one handed. The green Motoslave's free hand shot out and punched the Boomer in the head. The Boomer's head snapped back, small pieces of metal and other materials flying off it into the night. The Cyberdroid snarled and counterattacked, its fists' twin pistons that hammered hard at its opponent.

Just then, Linna, lurking behind her Typhoon, jumped up and over the struggling pair of mecha, snapping her head forward and releasing the helmet's cutting ribbons as she did so. The monoribbons removed both the Boomer's arms cleanly at the shoulders, sending fluids and both
arms to fall onto the much abused roadway.

As Linna landed behind the Cyberdroid, her Motoslave brought its free hand down hard onto the armless Boomer's head, crushing it like an eggshell. Several minor explosions followed as the Boomer collapsed into a pile of junk. Linna flashed Sylia the `thumbs up' sign before
running toward her.

Sylia returned the signal, then opened the comm channel with Knight One. "White Saber to Knight One. The two Boomers have been disposed of. What is your situation?"

"Tense," came the reply. "We've still got four active Boomers here, plus a possible hostage."

"Janie VanDell?"

"Could be, thought I doubt it. Either way, we're at a standoff here."

"Myself, Green Saber, and our two Motoslaves can hit them from the rear. At the least, it should divide up their fire."

"Sounds like a plan. Let us know when you're ready, and we'll keep them occupied."

"Give us fifteen seconds."

"You got it." There was silence for three seconds. "White Saber?"

"Yes?"

"I'm glad you and your friends could make this party. I just hope our hosts don't mind you crashing."

Inside her helmet, Sylia smiled. "I hope so too."

**********

Highway 17 - 1.5 kilometers northwest of the battle
District 6
Saturday, December 22, 2035
3:23am

Daley jerked the car to a stop, and climbed out. I should have stayed in bed.

Around him, ADP troopers, vehicles, and other police equipment were moving into place, forming a line of vehicles and personnel that stretched across the width of the highway. A small group of ADP troopers was placing arc lights into place to light up the entire roadway. He watched another group of flack vested troopers dash by him toward the defensive line, their faces grim. In the background, he heard explosions, gunfire, and other sounds of a firefight.

Somebody up there hates me, he thought, patting his pockets for a loose cigarette, and finding none. He settled for a couple of antacid tablets, and grimaced at the chalky taste. Just the thing to make my day complete.

Daley spotted the mobile command center near the center of the swirling chaos, and stalked over. He was dead tired, out of cigarettes, and a splitting headache.Hurry up and get your ass back here, Leon, he thought sourly. I can't take another day of this shit.

Outside the mobile command post, several ADP officers were clustered around a map laying on a folding table. They looked up as Daley approached.

"What have you got?"

Commander Mandy Thesan, 1st Detachment's CO, scowled at Daley. "A figging war!" she snapped.

Daley glared at her. "Details, please," he said coldly, his usual carefree manner long one.

"We have a battle between an unknown number of BU-55C and BU-12B Boomers," replied Commander Julian Weiss, 3th Detachment's CO. "And an unknown number of people wearing hardsuits, supported by at least three combat helicopters."

"The Knight Sabers involved?"

"Yes, but they arrived after the battle had started."

Daley rubbed his forehead. "What's the status of our forces?"

Weiss pointed to the map. "Second and Fourth Detachments have secured the highway here. We're right here, and Fifth and Sixth detachments are waiting in reserve. We've given them a kilometer buffer zone until we build up enough of a force so we can move in and secure the area. Luckily, we're in a business area, so there should be few civvies to get in the way."

"What do we have in the air?"

"Four patrol choppers. They're staying clear of the area."

Daley nodded. "Has anyone managed to contact the chief?"

Thesan scowled. "The weasel ain't answering his phone."

Several more explosions interrupted the conversation. Daley looked in the direction the sounds came from, and rubbed at his eyes. No chief, no authorization for heavy firepower. Terrific.

"What do you want us to do?" asked Weiss.

Daley looked at him. "Order all units to hold position until I give the order to advance."

"So what are we waiting for?" snapped Thesan.

"For the battle to die down first. I'm not sending anyone into that without sufficient force of arms." Daley looked at each of the troopers standing around the table. "And we sure as hell don't have sufficient force of arms right here to take on both Boomers and people in hardsuits. In case you're wondering, that's what I'm going to tell the chief when he asks me why I didn't move in."

The officers looked at him, their expressions a mix of emotions. Thesan looked disappointed, while a couple of others looked confused. But the others, including Weiss, looked relieved not to ordered to charge into a war zone.

Daley closed his eyes. "Keep the buffer zone, and order the troops to fire on anyone straying into the buffer zone. We're not going to go in there after them, but we're sure as hell not going to let them expand the battlefield. Any questions?"

There were none. Daley opened his eyes and said, "Get back to your units, and keep your people ready."

He watched them scatter into the chaos around him before he climbed into the command vehicle. He ignored the stares of the troopers on duty, and slid into an empty chair. Twenty seconds later, he was asleep.

**********