Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 26

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
===========================================================
Bubble Gum Crisis is copyrighted by Artmic Inc. and Youmex,
Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little while,
and promise not to bend, fold, or staple them - unless I can
come up with a good reason to do so. I can be contacted at the
Email address above. C&C will be accepted, out and out flames
will result in a Boomer or two being sent after you.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe.....
========================================================= ==

Chapter 26

Priss' Trailer
Saturday, December 22, 2035
2:56pm

The van was a nondescript brown in color, and was unremarkable in every other way from the outside. It drove towards the trailer at a slow rate of speed, avoiding patches of ice that dotted the lot.

"See anything?" asked Priss. She was lying on a stretcher in the back of the van, unable to sit up to watch. The remains of her hardsuit laid in a large box beside her. While she waited for Leon's answer, she thought about the last couple of hours.

Mallory had returned to the warehouse two hours before, his mood upbeat. "You're going home," he'd said when he entered the makeshift hospital room. "I made the arrangements. Three o'clock, your trailer."

Priss looked at him, her face showing disbelief. Leon was out talking to Jeena about something, so the two of them were alone. "You spoke to Sylia?"

"Yes, and she's a remarkable woman." There was a undercurrent of wistfulness in his voice. "She's concerned about you."

"She going to give me hell for totaling the suit."

"If she gives you a hard time, I'll pay for the damm thing."

"Big words."

"I keep my word." He hesitated. "This is probably a personal question, but is Sylia seeing anyone?"

That caught Priss off guard. "Excuse me?"

"Is she involved with anyone right now?"

Priss felt a sudden bust of anger. She looked at Mallory, her eyes flashing with fury. "I don't know," she said forcefully, "and even if I did know, that's none of your damm business."

Greg shrugged, her anger having no effect on his mood. "Fair enough." He glanced at his watch. "You'd better rest. Leon will be here in about an hour." Before Priss could say anything else, He'd turned and walked out of the room.

"No one yet," replied Leon, bringing Priss out of her memories. "But we are a couple of minutes early."

"Knowing my boss, she's already there, but staying out of sight."

"That's possible. How are you feeling?"

Priss gritted her teeth. Leon as an angel of mercy was becoming old quickly. "Leon, that's the third time in the last hour you've asked me that," she said. "You ask me one more time, and I'll strangle you."

Leon chuckled. "You're getting better," he said lightly. His voice suddenly became serious. "Your friends are here."

Priss felt the van slow to a stop. "Who's here?" she asked.

"All three of your partners, plus a large truck. They're heading towards us now." He heard him climb out of the van and say cheerfully, "Good Afternoon, ladies! Leon's delivery service has arrived!" He left the door open so Priss could hear everything.

"Is she is in the van?" asked Sylia, her voice distorted by her hardsuit's speakers.

"Yes Ma'am!," replied Leon, his cheerfulness beginning to grate on Priss's nerves. "And from the way she's heaping verbal abuse on me the last several hours, she's on her way to a full recovery."

"You two get Priss," Sylia commanded. "I need to talk to Mr. McNichols here for a couple of minutes."

Priss heard two sets of footsteps approached the van. The sliding door open, and cold air flooded the van. Priss was grateful for the borrowed clothes she was wearing as she sat up. The two familiar outlines of Linna and Nene's hardsuits stood there. The Red/Blue Knight Saber waved at Priss. "Miss us?"

"Stop that!" hissed Linna, motioning towards Leon. She looked down at the mangled hardsuit. "You grab the box, and I'll get Priss."

"Right!"

After Nene removed the box from the van, Linna helped Priss out, and supported her while the singer stood on unsteady legs. Placing her friend's unbroken arm over her shoulder, Linna guided Priss towards the truck. As the two of them slowly made their way, Priss listened to Leon and Sylia's conversation.

"Here's a copy of Priss's medical report, for your own medical people. As I said, she'll recover nicely."

"And how many people know about Priss's identity?" Even with the distortion of the hardsuit's speakers, Sylia's voice was cool.

"Greg Mallory, Jeena, and myself. Even the Doctor who treated her doesn't know her name. I've known her identity for upwards of two years now, and the other two figured it out on their own. And before you ask, I have no idea who Mallory talked to at lunch regarding Priss."

"If you've known Priss's identity for two years, why haven't you acted? We're vigilantes and mercenaries after all."

Leon shrugged. "There's too many ADP officers, including me and Daley, who owe you our lives. The ADP can't do the job anymore without tripping over rules and regulations that strangle us."

"Us?" Sylia sounded amused. "You're on vacation from the ADP, remember?"

Before Leon could answer, Priss called out in a husky voice, "Hey, Leon!"

"Yeah?"

Priss motioned Linna to stop. "Come here," she said.

Leon ambled over, missing the tone of her voice. "Forget something?" he asked, standing next to her.

"Yeah," Priss growled. "This." She moved her free arm from around the Green hardsuit's shoulders and grabbed Leon by his shirt. Before he could react, she pulled him in close and kissed him. After several seconds of struggle, Leon closed his eyes and gave in.

"Excuse me?" said the white Knight Saber. She strode over and tapped Leon on the shoulder. Leon opened an eye and stared at her, unable to speak with Priss kissing him. Next to Priss, Linna stared at the two of them, not certain what to do next. Finally, Sylia reached in between the two of them and separated them. "You two can express yourselves to each other later," she said cooly, her helmet hiding the smile on her face.

Looking a little stunned, Leon asked, "What did I do to deserve that?"

Priss, looking satisfied, replied, "You save my life twice last night, or don't you remember?"

"Yea, but -"

"But nothing. You deserved it."

Sylia expected Leon to puff himself and act like he usually did when he was hitting on Priss, as 'God's gift to women'.

But he didn't.

Instead, to Sylia's surprise, Leon just nodded as he touched his lips gently with the tips of his fingers. "You're welcome. Just try to be careful next time, all right? I don't have any friends to spare." He turned to Sylia. "Just make sure she follows the doctor's orders, OK?"

"I will."

"Don't I have a say in this?" asked Priss, her face a mass of conflicting emotions.

"No," said Leon and Sylia at the same instant.

They looked at each other in astonishment. Finally Leon shrugged and started to walk back to the van. "She's your team member, White," he said, looking over his shoulder at Sylia. "Keep her out of the way until she heals, OK?"

Priss fended off Linna's attempt to lead her away. "I'm all right," she snapped. "A couple of hours sleep, and I be fine."

Leon stopped and turned to look at her. He snorted. "Remember what the Doc told you," he called out to Priss, his tone serious. "You had two more days of rest ahead of you, and if I hear about or see the blue Knight Saber during that time, I will hunt you down and tie you to your bed. Is that clear?"

Priss smiled. "I didn't know you were into bondage," she purred loudly.

"I'm not!" he snapped, his face becoming slightly red.

"Does Daley know about this?" she continued, ignoring his denial.

Leon's denial was on his lips, but before he could respond, Sylia spoke. "She'll stay in bed."

Priss looked at her leader. "Spoilsport."

"You can continue this banter later," said Sylia firmly. "I want to get you out of this cold and double check your injuries." She motioned to Linna. "Get her into the van."

With Nene's help, Linna guided Priss into the van. Mackie had prepared one of the fold down cots, and with his help, the other Knight Sabers eased Priss onto it. A minute later, Sylia boarded the van, and closed the door. She removed her helmet and glanced at Mackie. "Get us out of here."

Mackie nodded and disappeared into the driver's compartment. The low hum of the truck's engine filled the interior. Linna and Nene removed their helmets and sat down, while Sylia examined Priss's bandaged ribs. Priss just lay there, a satisfied smile on his face.

"How are you feeling?" asked Sylia.

"Better then I did last night," Priss replied, still smiling.

"We could see that," said Linna, a large grin on her face. "After that kiss you gave Leon, he looked like he'd been poleaxed."

"I know. That's why I did it."

Nene managed to look confused. "Did I miss something?" she asked.

"Talk to Mackie about it," said Linna, still looking amused. "He can explain it to you."

*********

MegaTokyo General Hospital
Saturday, December 22, 2035
4:15pm

Doctor Kensaku Fukamizu was tired. He was fifteen hours into a twenty-four-hour shift in the emergency room, and they had been busy for almost the entire time. Four stabbings, seven gunshot wounds, three serious highway accidents, and a suicide who hadn't quite managed to kill himself when he jumped. Two of his patients died as he tried to save them, while the jumper was now clinging to life with more energy then he'd shown before he jumped. In short, a typical day in the emergency room.

He stood at the central nurse's station, jotting down a note on the jumper's record. Most of the man's bones were broken, but there was not enough damage to finish the job he'd started. What a waste, he thought. The damm fool's too young to be wanted to end it all. He glanced down at the patient's age. Hell, he's two years younger then me.

There but the grace of God go I. He shuddered as he tried to suppress the memories. It didn't work.

He remembered the Earthquake that made him an orphan at age fifteen. Six months later, he'd been part of a gang, one of many to form as the population and government tried to recover from the disaster that had leveled most of the city. For eighteen months, the gang had ruled a twelve-block area with more authority then the city did.

Then, HE came back.

Skeeter Karns had been a legend among the gangs as the biggest pack leader in the district before he'd suddenly disappeared ten years
before. His sudden reappearance had shocked the district, and he'd move quickly in reestablishing his position as the most powerful gang leader.

Fukamizu remembered when HE came into the gang's headquarters. Towering over even the tallest gang member by a full head, Skeeter
had made them a generous offer to have them join his growing alliance of Gangs. The fact there was more then a hint of menace in HIS voice, a core of steel behind velvet words, was the deciding factor. It had taken the gang less then ten minutes to decide to join the new alliance.

Once part of the alliance, Fukamizu found himself back in school, along with half the gang members in the district, under the instruction of Skeeter himself. A combination of Skeeter's immense size and penetrating intelligence worked wonders on the reluctant students, including Fukamizu. In less then a year, Fukamizu had made up the schooling he'd lost. Another six months, and he was ahead of the others in schoolwork.

He could still remember the impassive look on Skeeter's face when the giant asked Fukamizu what the young man wanted to do with his life. A doctor, he'd told Skeeter, like his own father had been. The giant merely nodded, and told Fukamizu to continue studying. When Fukamizu turned eighteen, Skeeter secured him a spot in the exam for the leading medical school. Fukamizu passed the exam easily.

The next six years passed quickly, as Fukamizu worked hard to learn everything he could about being a Doctor. Skeeter had told him not to worry about the finances, just worry about passing his classes. Fukamizu did so, graduating third in his class. Given a choice of any hospital in the country, Fukamizu had decided to stay close to home by choosing MegaToyko General for his residency. And now, nine months into his residency, he faced the results of what other, less fortunate, people had chosen to do with their lives.

As he finished scribbling the entry into the jumper's record, he half listened to a couple of nurses in conversation behind the
counter of the nurse's station.

"So what did he say?" asked Senior Nurse Ishida, a short, moon faced woman who was well respected by the doctors and other nursing staff. Part den mother, part drill sergeant, she ran the emergency room with the precision and order needed. He only failing was that she was a bit of a gossip.

"He wanted to have dinner with me Saturday night," replied nurse Asamizu with a giggle. Young and pretty, she'd been at the hospital for three months, and was blossoming into a first rate emergency room nurse under Ishida's tutoring. Fukamizu had been debating asking her out for the last month, but between her long list of dates and his lack of time and money, he hadn't the nerve. He continued to look at the clipboard, and continued to listen to the nurses.

"And?" prompted Ishida. Just then, the phone sitting at her elbow rang. Like turning on a switch, the senior nurse went from gossiping woman to a professional in a blink of an eye. She smoothly picked up the receiver and said, "MegaToyko General, Emergency Room, Senior Nurse Ishida speaking." She listened. "Doctor Kyso!" she said in a light friendly tone. "What can I do for you?...Doctor Suwa? I don't know. Could you hold a minute?" She depressed the hold button on the phone, and dialed a three-digit number, which meant she was calling somewhere else in the hospital.

After a few seconds, she started speaking. "Yoko? This is Kumi, down in the emergency room. Is Doctor Suwa in?...Oh. When did he
leave?...How long?...All right...Thanks, Yoko."

She returned to her first caller. "I'm sorry, Doctor Kyso, but Doctor Suwa left three hours ago to attend a conference in Hawaii . . . He won't be back until next week . . . Is it an emergency? .......I see. Why not bring her in?..........That serious?.. .....Well, you could try Doctor Natorn over at Juban General....Are you sure?....Thank you Doctor, I just wish I could been of more help...Good-bye." She hung the handset back in it place and looked at Asamizu. "Now that's strange."

Asamizu looked puzzled. "What?"

"That was Doctor Kyso."

"I never heard of him."

"Doctor Kyso is a she. She worked here until about five years ago. One of the large Megacorps hired her as staff doctor, and I
hadn't heard anything from her since. Then out of the blue she calls asking for Doctor Suwa."

Fukamizu racked his brain, trying to remember Suwa. Didn't he specialize in circulatory problems or something like that?

"I don't recall Doctor Suwa," said Asamizu.

You wouldn't," replied Ishida. "He specializes in blood disorders."

"Oh. So what did Doctor Kyso want with Doctor Suwa?"

"She said she had a critical case. One of her bosses' kids cut herself badly, lost a lot of blood, and she needs a transfusion ASAP. The problem is, the patient has an abnormal Hemoglobin condition, and can't receive regular blood transfusion. She also too weak to move to
the hospital."

"That's horrible!"

Ishida nodded. "I just hope Gulf and Bradley are paying Doctor Kyso plenty of money, because if she screws up, she's going to need every yen she can get her hands on."

Fukamizu nearly dropped the clipboard in surprise. Gulf and Bradley? He put the clipboard down on the counter and reached into his pant's pocket. His hands found the paper, right where he had left it. He pulled it out slowly, unfolded it and stared at the words written there. It was a hand written note he'd found in his locker when he'd come on duty. He had no idea how it'd gotten there, but he had no doubt who had written it. Skeeter didn't ask for anything unless it was important. The note read:

Keep an ear out for anything involving Gulf and
Bradley, and report it at once.

Skeeter

He folded the paper and thrust it back into his pocket. He had to find a phone.

"Doctor Fukamizu?" said a voice. Fukamizu jumped, startled by the voice. Nurse Asamizu was leaning on the counter, staring at him with a smile. Behind her, Ishida was typing something into the computer, but she was also smiling.

"Er . . . .Yes, Nurse?" Fukamizu asked quickly.

Asamizu continued to smile. "Is everything all right? You seemed preoccupied."

"Yes . . . e . . . .I just remember I have to make a phone call." Something inside him broke free in his confusion. "Are you free Saturday?" he blurted out.

"Why, yes I am," purred Asamizu. "Seven o'clock, my place."

She giggled at the strange expression on his face. She scrawled an address on a slip of paper and handed to him. "Don't be late."

"Of course not! I...er...need to make a phone call. Excuse me . . . " He turned and walked away, a somewhat silly-looking grin on his face. But his mind was focused on getting word to Skeeter about this development involving Gulf and Bradley.

**********

Warehouse #41526584
District 4
MegaTokyo, Japan
Saturday, December 22, 2035
5:44pm

The warehouse was alive with activity. Techs were now in the process of refueling and rearming the two surviving Rattlesnakes. The last of the hardsuits had been repaired, and was on line. The Knights not actively involved in tech work were resting quietly, getting ready for the night's activities.

Greg Mallory was not resting. He sat at a small table near the office, still dressed in the suit he'd worn to the lunch with Sylia. In front of him, a small pile of papers sat in an untidy pile. He scowled at Marla. "Anything else I should know about?" he asked in mock seriousness.

"No, Sir," replied the red headed woman. "Anything else can be delayed until tomorrow."

"Good. What about the items for tonight?"

"The flowers will be in the limo, as will the champaign. Your suit for tonight is waiting for you back at the office."

"Excellent. You'll make someone a fine wife someday."

Marla arched an eyebrow. "Just don't tell Gary," she said, a smile playing at her lips. "I've almost have him trained right."

Mallory chuckled. "I won't." He grew serious again. "I hope I didn't screw up Gary and your plans for Christmas too much."

"He understands."

"Once we get home, You'll get an extra week of vacation time. Fair enough?"

Before Marla could answer, Greg saw Leon standing nearby. "Leon!" he called out.

Leon strode over quickly. "Yes?" he asked.

"Our guest made it back to her friends all right?"

Leon smiled. "Yes. Her friends were waiting for us when we got there."

Greg nodded. "Marla, go tell Marcus and Nicky we're leaving in five minutes." The assistant nodded and walked off. Greg waited until she was out of earshot before he said, "Any trouble?"

"White Saber didn't trust me as far as she could throw me, but I think she'll hold off on killing me for now."

"I don't think she'll come knocking on your door anytime soon," replied Greg dryly.

Just then, Leon's cell phone buzzed. He pulled it out of its case opened it and said, "Yes?...Skeeter? How did you get this number?.......I should have know. What's up?.....In person? Why not over the phone? ......But....All right." He glanced at his watch. "Give me about an hour . . . Same place as before?...See you then."

"Problem?" asked Greg.

"My source," replied Leon, putting the phone back into its case. "He's turned up some more stuff on Gulf and Bradley that he thinks we need to know. He won't relay it over the phone. The meet has to in person."

"Go. Do you need any backup?"

Leon took a deep breath. "I'd better not. Skeeter has more then enough firepower to slice apart anything you could send, and if I show up with unfamiliar guns backing me up, he'd never trust me again." He thought for a second. "I will take Jeena along. Skeeter knows her, and she can be charming when she needs to be."

Greg nodded slowly. "Good luck."

Leon smiled. "Thanks. I better get going then." He turned and jogged towards the exit. Greg watched him leave the stood up slowly. Now, if only my dinner with Quincy was going to be that easy...