Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 34

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

=================================================================
Bubble Gum Crisis is copyrighted by Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am just
borrowing the characters for a little while, and promise not to bend, fold,
or staple them - unless I can come up with a good reason to do so. I can be
contacted at the Email address above. C&C will be accepted, out and out
flames will result in a Boomer or two being sent after you.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe.....
========================================================= ========

Chapter 34

GENOM Tower
Sunday, December 23, 2035
3:21am

Quincy looked up from the report on his desk. "I see Mr. Azamizu has some explaining to do," he said cooly.

"He is still being 'debriefed'," replied Madigan briskly, "but I thought you should see this as soon as possible."

The Chairman leaned back in his chair. "You were correct to do so." He was silent for a minute. "How bad is the damage to the GLAS complex?"

"According to the news reports, most of the South Tower has already been destroyed. The death toll is already at seventy-three and rising. The ADP have managed to destroy two of the Boomers, but are still having problems with the third."

"Any sign of the Knight Sabers?"

"No, Sir. They have not been spotted yet. It's possible that they were incapacitated by the Thor strike from last night."

"Possible," replied Quincy slowly. "But, considering their level of skill and luck in the past, I would not consider that a high probability."

"Yes, Sir."

"I think there's something else going on," he said, tapping the report, "something that requires the Knight Sabers."

Madigan frowned. "Do you think they would attack Gulf and Bradley?"

"It is a very good possibility, especially if they have anywhere near this type of information. If they have allied themselves with the Black
Knights, then MALCORP will have that sort of information." Quincy stood and turned towards the window. "What is the situation with the Boomer rampage in District Six?"

Madigan frowned at this sudden change in subjects, but kept her voice level. "We don't have all the details, but it seems someone tried
to eliminate Skeeter Karns."

"Indeed?" said Quincy pleasantly, watching the city below. "I take it they failed."

"Yes sir. I'm afraid Mr. Tarson failed to have the Boomer remains released back to GENOM immediately."

Quincy shrugged. "It's not surprising. Mr. Karns can be quite compelling at times."

"I wouldn't know, Sir. I've never met him."

"Indeed? I suggest you take the time and meet him. You will find the experience. . . enlightening."

Madigan sniffed. "I don't have the time to meet every would-be gang warlord." She stopped as he hear her boss softly chuckle, a rare
phenomenon. "Forgive my confusion," she said with a frown. "I don't understand."

"Neither did the Red Cobras. That's why they no longer exist as a Triad." He turned and looked at her, his voice stern and strong. "Do not underestimate your opponent, no matter what they appear to be. Mr. Mason found that lesson out a little too late for his own good."

The woman bowed her head. "Yes, Sir." She looked up again. "How do you want to handle this problem with the Boomers Asamizu sold to the Bradley twins?"

Quincy frowned. "It seems that they are becoming more then minor pests," he said in a soft voice edged with steel. "While they don't stand
a chance against GENOM, they might damage our image enough to give oth ers the same idea. We cannot allow that to happen."

Yes, Sir."

"What about the Boomers used in the New York incident? Were they part of the group Mr. Asamizu sold to Gulf and Bradley Japan?"

"They were. We finished cracking the security encoding on the disks we found in his apartment a short time ago. We are fortunate that he was a compulsive record keeper."

"Indeed." Quincy sighed. "To answer your question, as much as I dislike Janson Bradley, to move against Gulf and Bradley, as a whole, would be a waste of time and money with no significant returns. On the other hand, both Cora and Carlton Bradley have shown themselves to be reckless in their zeal to 'punish' GENOM for something we had no control over." He sat in his chair and looked at Madigan. I think it's about time we let Mr. and Miss Bradley know that we will not allow them to move against us."

"In what way?"

"I want a list of G&B holdings in MegaTokyo. I think there's going to be a string of unfortunate setbacks involving several of those sites
tonight, including the G&B headquarters building."

"Yes Sir. Any particular method do you wish us to employ?"

"For most of the targets, I leave to your judgement. But for the headquarters building. . . . Do we not have a shipment of Military Boomers
that is being readied for shipment to the government of Iraq?"

"Yes Sir. Several dozen battle Boomers, including several models of the BU-12B series, Bu-15Bs, and 17s."

"I think a dozen will be enough. Make sure the mix is enough to handle any situation."

"Yes, Sir."

"That is all for now."

"May I ask a question?"

Quincy looked up at her, a slight smile on his craggy face. "What is it?"

"Are you going to allow Mr. Faust to continue his investigation?"

"Of course. Mr. Faust has skills and abilities you do not have, as you possess proficiencies and expertises he does not have. Between
the two of you, we will eliminate this. . .cancer." Quincy leaned back in his chair, allowing the shadows of the dimly-lit room to hide most of his face. "Mr. Faust is a loyal and hard-working employee who places the interest of GENOM above his own. He is a man any CEO will welcome as an assistant, and someone whose respect should be cultivated."

"Yes Sir. I should have not doubted your wisdom."

Quincy waved a hand in dismissal. "Mr. Faust is my responsibility. You have yours. Please see to them."

**********

Warehouse #41526584
District 4
Sunday, December 23, 2035
3:34am

The meeting at the rendezvous point had gone off without a hitch. The corner of Two-Twelve and Jiro in District Four was a burnt-out convenience store that was shunned by the locals. With the KnightWing flying high cover, the three motorslaves had arrived three minutes before the appointed time. A minute later, a female Black Knight stepped out of the darkness and identified herself as Red Three. From the Knight's suit and voice, Sylia recognized Red Three as the one who had sliced apart the Boomer on the highway the night before. The actual trip to the warehouse took only fifteen minutes, but to Sylia, it seemed a lot longer.

The warehouse was abuzz with light and life when the Black Knight led Sylia, Nene and Linna through the side door. Technicians were moving swiftly through the piles of provisions and machinery, most of them concentrating on the four helicopter gunships sitting in the center of
the warehouse. There were at least a dozen members of the Black Knights scattered throughout the entire building, some in full hardsuits, while
others were wearing just innersuits similar to the one Sylia has designed for her own team. Most of them turned and stared at the newcomers.

Deciding if we're as good as we're suppose to be, thought Sylia. We threw ourselves into the fight last night without warning. Now we're going to see if we can pull off a coordinated attack against an enemy expecting us.

"Stay alert," she said into the common channel. "Mackie, Priss. Are you receiving us?"

//Loud and clear Sis. We can be there in thirty seconds, if we need to be.//

"Fine, but don't get too close. Stay alert." She looked over at Nene."Anything?"

"Nothing excessive," replied the redhead. "I'm receiving strong ECM signals from at least three Knights, but nothing that actually pointed
at us. From what I'm picking up, most of the suits are only half a generation behind ours. Those gunships are state-of-the-Art with the Neo-NATO designation of 'Rattlesnakes' and they're loaded to the gills with firepower."

"Keep scanning."

Now more familiar with the Knights's suits, Sylia began looking over the Knights' hardsuits, distinguishing in her mind between the
different designs. One group were clearly geared for heavy fire support, being somewhat larger then the others and carrying weapons that Sylia
knew wouldn't be compatible with her own hardsuit designs. Others, like Red Three's, hinted at hidden weapons and looked somewhat sleeker then the first group, certainly the close combat designs. The last group were subtly different from the others, with slight bulges in the armor
that Sylia guessed were sensor and ECM pods. Interesting choices, she thought. Similar to my designs, but completely different at the same time. No signs of any motorslaves, however.

"There seems to be more Knights running around then we saw last night," said Nene over the Saber's secure channel. "How many do you think there are?"

"At least a dozen," replied Linna, "plus a couple of more helicopters. Do you think they call up reenforcements?"

"They did," replied Sylia firmly. "Are you recording everything Nene?"

"Un-hun. I'm sending it directly to the Knightwing's computer even as we speak."

The Black Knight pointed to a office door twenty meters away. "Knight One asked to speak to alone first," she said over her suit's
speakers. "He's in there."

Sylia nodded, then said over the team's private channel. "You two stay here. Be ready for anything. Nene keep recording."

Her teammates responded with 'affirmatives'. Walking briskly, Red Three led Sylia through the tangle of personnel and material to the
office door. The Black Knight tapped on the door and waited. Finally, she said to Sylia. "He's ready to see you now," and opened the door.

The office wasn't much - just a battered desk, chair, a couple of file cabinets and a lumpy looking sofa against the far wall. There weren't any windows, though the walls didn't look all that thick. The single occupant of the office also wore a hardsuit, leaning over a map spread out on the desktop. His face was hidden by his helmet, concealing his identity. Sylia recognized the hardsuit as the same type Knight One had worn.

Knight One looked up as Sylia stepped into the room. The office wasn't especially large, but the presence of two people in hardsuits made the room seem smaller somehow. In the back of her mind, Sylia noted the door closed behind her, leaving the two of them alone.

For five seconds, neither one spoke. Then, Knight One sighed and reached up to his helmet. "I guess I'll have to convince you I'm for real," he said and pushed up. The helmet was fashioned to resemble a medieval Knight's helmet, visor and all. The visor slowly slid up, reveling a
familiar face with sharp features, short dark hair, and mismatched eyes.

Greg Mallory.

"Satisfied?" he asked.

Sylia nodded and opened her own visor. The office grew silent again as they looked at each other. Sylia felt an updraft of emotion. Here
is someone who can understand me,
a part of her mind echoed. Here is someone who knows what it's like to led others into battle, to make those decision that I have to every day.

The rational part of her mind rallied quickly. Don't let emotion cloud your judgement! He is an ally for the time being, nothing more!

He doesn't want you for your money or to parade you around as a conquest. Women would flock to him in an instant, but he's sent his sights on you. He's undergone the same enhancements as you did.

Does that mean I'm suppose to worship at his feet? I don't know him!

Does that mean you're afraid to try?

Greg waved toward the couch, breaking the silent impasse in Sylia's mind. "Would you like to sit?" he asked carefully, his tone serious. "I'm afraid the chair won't support the weight of both human and hardsuit."

"I think I'll prefer standing," she replied, thankful for the interruption.

Greg nodded. "I thought we should talk before we had the planning meeting. Agree on certain command decisions before hand."

"Fine. Like what?"

"Command authority, communication channels, material support, and the like."

Sylia nodded slowly, her command mask slipping firmly into place. "Let's begin."

**********

Nene and Linna watched the preparations going on around them from an unused corner of the warehouse. Except for the occasional glance in their direction by a tech or Knight, they were left by themselves.

"I've counted fifteen Knights so far," said Nene. "These guys are packing serious hardware, both in electronics and weaponry."

"They why do we need us?" asked Linna, her eyes focused on a rugged-looking tech loading missiles into a Rattler's missiles launcher. "Looks like they've got enough firepower to take out GENOM tower."

"Search me. But Sylia said to stay alert."

//Anything happening down there, guys?// asked Priss.

"Nothing," replied Linna. "I've seen some cute guys, some serious weaponry, but nothing exciting. How's Sylia doing?"

//She discussing such exciting subjects as who's boss over who, what comm channels we're going to use, and what we're bringing to the party in firepower. Any more exciting and Mackie's going to fall asleep.//

"He'd better not!" growled Nene.

//I can keep him awake,// replied Priss with a husky voice. //Of course, we'll have to put the KnightWing on automatic pilot, but //

"Don't you dare!" yelled Nene. "He's mine!"

Priss chuckled. //Oh relax, little miss Cyberpunk. He's too young for me.//

Linna saw a familiar face walking through the crowd and smiled. "I see someone a bit more mature for you right now."

//Who?//

"Leon."

//Here's there?//

Linna's smile became larger as she saw the Inspector change direction. "Yep, and he's heading toward us right now."

//Don't you dare tell him that I'm with you guys!//

"Why? Afraid you might like being tied to a bed?"

The singer started making growling noises, then silence as Priss broke the connection.

"That was mean," said Nene with a giggle. "Can I use that line next time?"

"Go ahead."

Leon walked up to them. "Good morning, Ladies," he said with a grin. "Come here often?"

Nene sighed and cover her helmet's face with her hands in exasperation.

"It's a good thing Blue Saber isn't here to see this," said Linna over the hardsuit's speakers. "She might just use you for target practice."

Leon's expression became a little more serious. "Blue Saber doesn't have to worry about me hitting on her team mates, not after we talked. How is she by the way?"

"About what you expect. She climbing the walls and is kind of pissed that she didn't come along. White threaten to allow you to tie her to a bed and tape it for your personal use if she didn't stop complaining."

"She did? My type of leader."

Just then, Priss voice came back over the communications channel. //Linna! We've spotted a convoy of vehicles heading in your direction!//

Linna held up a hand to stop Leon from speaking. "How many?"

//At least fifteen vehicles, including several trucks. They're five blocks away and closing.//

A new voice broke in. "Any identification?" asked Sylia.

//Negative, but several of those cars look like they've had armor added to their frames.//

Nene nudged Linna. Linna looked at her team mate, who pointed at the sudden scramble for weapons and firing positions among the crates of the warehouse, while several groups of Knights dashed through several of the loading bay doors into the night.

A sharp ringing attracted Linna's attention. She glanced over at the small cell phone on Leon's belt and tapped the distracted Inspector on the shoulder. When he turned to face her, she pointed at the phone. He glanced down at it, frowned and grabbed it off his belt. "Yes?. . .SKEETER! WHAT THE. . . outside right now?!?. . . .Don't come any closer, or we'll start a war!. . . .Let me get hold of Mr. Mallory. . . five minutes, no more. . . .Stop your people NOW!!"

"What's going on?' asked Nene.

Leon ignored the question and continued talking into the phone. "Just stay where you are, and I'll come out to you....Just don't come any
closer....I do trust you, but the people I'm with don't know you. . . . I'm coming out right now." He broke the connection and took a deep breath.

"Trouble?' asked Linna.

"We have a visitor," said Leon angrily, replacing the phone on his belt, "and he's brought some of his friends along. You'd better stay here
while I try and keep thing from becoming a war."

"What's going on?" asked Sylia.

"Leon was just talking to someone he called Skeeter. Does that ring a bell?"

"It does. Skeeter Karns."

//Skeeter's here?// said Priss. //Shit.//

"Who's Skeeter Karns?" asked Linna. "I've never heard of him."

"He's a gang leader," replied Nene tightly. "He's smart, well-organized and someone who you do not cross -- period."

//Nene's right,// said Priss, her voice tense. //He's as big as a C-class boomer, and a hell of a lot smarter. The guy could intimidate
a Doberman!//

"I have dealt with him in the past," said Sylia cooly. "Both Nene and Priss are right. Mr. Karns is a gentleman of considerable abilities and
fearsome reputation. However, he is out of his territory here, which tells me this isn't a social call."

"Why did he call Leon?" asked Linna, her mind trying to put together a mental image of this Skeeter.

//Skeeter's a different sort of of Gang Leader,// Priss replied. //He runs a clean operation in comparison to the other gangs in the city and he's willing to discuss certain things with the police.//

Sylia continued, "Skeeter has an intelligence network in this city second only to GENOM, and that's maybe underplaying its scope. I've used him several times when Fargo's contacts don't have information I'm looking for. His data is always good, but expensive."

//How do we play this?// asked Priss.

"We wait," replied Sylia. "If Skeeter was here for battle, he would have announced himself by sending a hail of bullets and grenades through the front door and windows. He knew Leon was here and called him to talk. So, we let them talk."

"I sure hope you know what you're doing," said Nene.

"I do."

**********

By the time Leon reached the outside door, Jeena was waiting for him. "What's up?" she asked cheerfully.

Leon scowled at her. "Skeeter's crashing the party."

The one-armed woman smirked. "Oh? He must have a reason."

"I'm about to find out. Want to come along?"

"Sure. I want to see you in action."

Leon went out the door, Jeena behind him. Once outside they turned left and started to walk towards a mass of lights in the middle distance. "Any idea why our semi-jolly giant wants in on this?" asked Jeena.

"No, unless...." Leon stopped. Spying a shadow nearby, he walked over to it. The shadow move slightly to face him, light glittering off
the burnished gold highlights of a Black Knight.

"What do you want?' the shadow asked.

"Are you guys monitoring the ADP channels?" Leon asked.

"Yea."

"Has there been anything about a battle in district six tonight?"

"What sort of battle?"

"A big nasty one."

"Hold one." The Knight was silent for thirty seconds, then he said, "A quartet of BU-55's went rouge in district six shortly after midnight."

"How much damage did they do?" asked Leon.

"Not much. They run into person or persons unknown who took exception to their rampage, and turned them into junk outside of a bar."

"Which bar?"

"Some place called the Ri-San. The reports have some big guy tearing off the head of one of the Boomers."

"That sounds like Skeeter," said Jeena with a nod.

"Oh shit," muttered Leon. "He's pissed, isn't he?"

"Very." Jeena smiled. "Now, I 'm glad I came along. This is going to be almost as much fun as watching you and your singer girlfriend getting
together."

Leon shot her a sour look. "We're going to have enough trouble without inviting him to this party."

Jeena's expression became thoughtful. "Maybe we should include him in on this attack."

"You're crazy!"

"Am not," she responded with a small smile, "At least, not as crazy as the guys in the ADP." She became serious again. "But Skeeter's people are almost as good as the ADP in both equipment and tactics, plus the man is a near genius in irregular warfare. At the very least, they can take over some of the support positions we're going to need. Plus, his Intel is better then ours, and we're going to need every advantage we can get."

"Excuse me," said the Knight, "But you'd better get up there pronto. There's a pissed off giant standing there with a couple of dozen armed people backing him up, and they're not getting any happier."

"Right," said Leon. "Tell whoever is in charge up there we're coming. Make sure no one on our side fires first, and tell Knight One we may have a new player in this deal."

"Right."

"Let's go," Leon said to Jeena and the pair starting jogging towards the lights.

As they jogged closer, Leon started picking out individuals in the bright lights of the convoy's headlights. A huge form could only be Skeeter stood in front of the first car, arms crossed. A lithe figure stood next to him, arms on her hips.

"Leon!" a well-known voice bellowed.

"Skeeter!' Leon bellowed back. "We're coming to talk!"

"Come ahead!"

Leon slowed to a walk, Jeena following his lead. They strode that last two dozen meters. When they got within five meters of the giant, the bright lights of the cars in the convoy dimmed to a more comfortable level."

"Leon," said Skeeter quietly.

"Skeeter." Leon glanced over at the woman beside the giant and grinned. "Chika. I don't suppose you want to go out for a drink later."

The woman shrugged. "Not if you want to keep all you fingers."

Jeena chuckled. "Stick with the singer, Rookie. That one's only libel to kill you quickly. Chika here is more likely to make you wish you were dead."

For a brief instance, Leon made a woeful face. Then, with a shrug, he looked at Skeeter with a serious expression. "Is this a social visit, or what?"

"I want in on your attack."

"What attack?"

"The one you are planning against Gulf and Bradley." Skeeter glowered at him. "And before you try and insult my intelligence by saying 'there's no attack', remember who you're talking to."

"I don't know," said Leon with a frown. "It's not my say-so."

"I know it isn't. But I bring a lot to this table."

Leon changed tactics. "How bad were you hit tonight?"

"Hard enough to make me angry. That's all you need to know."

"How many people did you lose to the Boomers?"

The giant's expression was grim. "You know about the Boomers. You know what kind of damage they can do."

"I do. But you managed to take them all down quick enough."

"Only because Gulf and Bradley made the mistake of underestimating me."

Leon's jaw tightened. "How do you know it was G&B behind that attack against you? Why not GENOM or Shikichi Sato, or even one of the other criminal gangs? A lot of people weren't happy with what happened to Ronnie Yee."

"Ronnie Yee did not listen to advice, and it cost him his life. As to the people behind the attack, it all comes down to a matter of timing. GENOM doesn't care about my turf right now, and no gang lord has the resources to waste Boomers in such an open and stupid fashion. Besides, there were several graduates from the gurentai that were suppose to back up the Boomers. They were most willing to discuss the matter when I explained it to them."

Jeena repressed a shudder. "No doubt."

Skeeter looked at her. "I didn't even have to go so far as to threaten then, Miss Malso. They were very willing to talk to me without the menace of violence. These were the same people that hit the MALCORP freelancers last night."

Leon took a deep breath. "Gulf and Bradley."

"It's clear that the twins are beginning to panic. Once they find out about their failure, they will take stronger measures against MALCORP, you and myself. I have no intention of sitting back and waiting for another Boomer rampage to try and eliminate me. I intend to go on the offensive, starting this morning, with or without your alliance. I am here to offer myself and my people in your attack against G&B-Japan Headquarters."

"We'll take it," said a new voice from the shadows. A silhouette moved from the blackness and walked into the light. Another shadow, smaller then the first followed. "Allies are always welcomed."

Leon was startled. "You heard?"

"Enough to be intrigued by the offer."

"You must be Knight One," said Skeeter slowly to the black hardsuit..

"You are well informed," said the Knight.

"Well, he should be." said Leon. "This is Skeeter Karns, one of MegaTokyo's more interesting citizens."

"It seems Mr. Mallory owes you a favor for the information about Janie."

"If what Leon told me is correct," said Skeeter in a low voice, "I'll consider us even once the child is safe."

"On that we can agree," said the Black Knight. "My ally said you were a person of honor, not to mention well-informed."

"I stay abreast of what's happening in the city." Skeeter glanced over at the second shadow. "And that is something White Saber is well aware of."

"It's been awhile," said the leader of the Knight Sabers cooly.

"You haven't need my services in a while."

"What do you offer us now?"

"First, sixty of my best troops, four light armored cars, and myself."

The two hardsuited leaders looked at one another. Leon cut in. "There's few people outside of the AD Police or the Self-Defense Forces that can handle themselves like Skeeter's people, and most of them are working for GENOM and the other Megacorps."

"Indeed?" Knight One looked at Skeeter again. "I'm not sure what your people can do against Boomers and the defenses we believe Gulf and Bradley have in place."

"You'd be surprised what we can do without the tin suits."

"What else are you brining to the table?" asked Leon.

"Enough solid intelligence of Gulf and Bradley's defenses to plan this strike. My people now know that security setup almost as well as Ozu himself."

"How recent?" asked Knight One.

"I'm receiving updates every ten minutes."

"I don't know...."

"I know Skeeter," said Leon quickly. "If you don't include him on this, he'll go ahead and strike on his own. It's better to coordinate with him and save a whole lot of headaches later."

"He's right," said the leader of the Knight Sabers. "With his people,
we can expand our options."

"In what way?" asked Knight One. "Unarmored humans can't go up against Boomers and armored security guards."

"True. Unless. . . ." said White Saber. She glanced at Skeeter. "Does you vengeance have to be against the Gulf and Bradley - Japan headquarters complex itself?"

"No," replied the giant. "It is high on my list, though."

"Would you object if you and your troops created a diversion to attract attention and forces away from our target?"

"If it was the right target."

Knight One looked at his Knight Saber counterpart. "You have a plan," he said

"A glimmer of one," White Saber admitted. "We need to discuss it, and quickly."

Knight One looked back at Skeeter. "Are you willing to discuss this with us?"

Skeeter gave them a cold smile. "I think I can make an allowance."

"Do you trust them?" asked Chika, looking at her leader.

"For now."

"That's fair enough," said Knight One. "I think you, your second here, and Leon should be enough brainpower to pull together a plan."

"Me?" asked Leon. "Why?"

Jeena slapped him on the back. "You're an experienced combat veteran, you know this city, and Skeeter trusts you. Any more stupid questions?"

"Not as the present time."

"Good," said Knight One. "Mr Karns, bring your people in. We have an attack to plan."

**********