Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 38

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

===================================================
Bubble Gum Crisis is copyrighted by Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am
just borrowing the characters for a little while, and promise not to
bend, fold, or staple them - unless I can come up with a good reason to
do so. I can be contacted at the Email address above. C&C will be
accepted, out and out flames will result in a Boomer or two being sent
after you, once they get around to inventing them.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe.....
===================================================
< br> Chapter 38

Gulf and Bradley - Japan Headquarters
Sunday, December 23, 2035
5:07am

"Ninety seconds to landing."

Everyone in the cargo section was up on their feet now, making the compartment seem smaller then before. Sylia stood near Nene and Linna, watching the others as they prepared for combat. Their holding pattern had lasted four minutes, four minutes that were uncomfortable and nerve-racking. But when the signal had been sent, Sylia felt relief flow through her. Whatever happened now, they were going in.

"Listen up Knights and MALCORP troops!" Knight One said over the shared frequency. "We've just got word that Tristan has already started its attack. Figure we've got a window of about twenty minutes before the ADP show up. We get in, get the girl and get out -- no side trips."A few nods from the people listening made it clear they understood. "As for command issues," he continued, "Saber White and I are in joint command. If either one of us tells you to do something -- do it! Is that understood?" More heads nodded.

"What about the G and B security troops?" asked of the MALCORP troopers.

Knight One nodded in return. "We're not looking for body counts here, but if any human opponent push the issue, don't hesitate to take them down for good. Leave any Boomers for the hardsuit units. Your job is to carry and protect the pod."

"How are we handling fire support?" asked a new voice. Sylia turned to see Priss in the cockpit doorway, visor down to conceal her identity from those who hadn't seen her at the warehouse. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Leon stiffen in surprise. He hadn't been anywhere near the cockpit since they had boarded, so this was the first time he'd realized that Priss was aboard.

"We're going to keep it limited to keeping the roof clear of any opposition until we have Janie," replied Knight One. "After that, we'll play it by ear."

"Fine by me." Priss conveyed the impression that she was looking right at Leon. "I can't say I'm thrill with being stuck up here, but I still wouldn't miss this even if you tied me down to a bed." Leon's face redden, but he didn't say anything as Priss turn and went back into the cockpit.

"Knight One turned to Sylia. "Do you have anything to add?" he asked.

Sylia shook her head. "You covered the important points."

"Hey, guys!" Priss yelled over the intercom. "We've got activity on the roof!"

"What sort of activity?" asked Sylia.

"There's at least one helicopter warming up on the pad, with two more standing by, and -- oh shit!"

"What?" snapped Sylia.

"There's a group of people just came on the roof and are heading for the helicopter. Someone's being carried on a stretcher."

"Any idea who it is?" cut in Knight One.

"We're too far away. Should we take the chopper out?"

Sylia and Greg looked at each other, waiting for the other to make the decision. Was that Janie on the stretcher?

"How far is the group from the helicopter?" asked Sylia.

Thirty meters or so. The cold isn't helping their footing any."

Again, there was silence. Then, Greg said over the private channel. "I trust you to make the right choice."

After a couple of heartbeats, Sylia said, "Negative."

Mackie spoke. "I think I can buzz them before they can reach the helicopter."

"Can you buzz the helicopter?"

"I think so."

"Then do it. Make one low, fast pass over the helicopter, then swing around and drop us off."

"Right." Mackie managed to sound excited. "Everyone, strap in and hand on."

Sylia barely had enough time to grab an overhead pipe before the Knight Wing dropped into a screeching dive.

**********

Roof Helicopter Pad Number Two
Gulf and Bradley - Japan Headquarters
Sunday, December 23, 2035
5:08am

Carlton Bradley's head snapped around as he head a howl about the cold breeze that swept across the rooftop and the random sound of the battle taking place below. Beside him, Cora was also looking into the night sky, startled by the sound. Three of the bodyguard team did likewise, as did the pair of Boomers assigned to guard Cara and Carlton. The rest of the party, which included Doctor Kyso and four people carrying the stretcher continued towards the waiting craft.

The helicopter was only twenty-five meters away, it's rotor spinning in readiness for a quick take-off. The two boomer guarding the craft had also turned at the oncoming sound, which was becoming louder and more high-pitched. As soon as the boomers began to expand out of their human disguises, Carlton knew there was trouble.

"Stop!" he screamed to the group over the increasing wail.

The group stopped. Kyso turned to look at him, but before she could ask anything, one of the helicopter boomers fired a mouth laser at something descending out of the dark sky. A shadow in the air twisted away from the laser beams, then replied with a pair of it's own lasers. Both smashed into the concrete near the Boomers, sending chunks of masonry and dust into the air, forcing the defending cyberdroids to move, continuing to fire at the intruder.

As it got closer, the shadow became an aircraft of some sort. It continued trading fire with the boomers, neither side able to hit the other. A flash of metal announced it was coming out of the night and into the lights surrounding the rooftop. With a shriek, it roared over the roof at less then ten meters, the shockwave it generated sufficient to stagger both boomers.

"Down!" Carlton shouted, grabbing his sister and dragging her down with him. Everyone dropped to the cold ground, those hauling the stretcher a bit slower because of what they were carrying. Looking up, Carlton watched as their escape plan unraveled before their eyes.

The craft continued across the roof, passing over the waiting helicopter as it did so from screaming up into the dark heavens. The helicopter pilot, surprised at the sudden appearance of the aircraft, had let his own airship drift up and off the landing pad. The resulting shockwave from the now disappearing aircraft smashed the helpless helicopter back onto the pad. Metal screeched, then snapped as the sudden impact proved too much for the landing wheels on the left side of the ship. Like a drunk, the helicopter sagged, then lurched to the left. The main rotor blades began to dig into the rooftop, sending out a hail of metal and concrete over a wide area. With a series of sharp cracks, the rotors shattered, adding larger chunks to the barrage.
Several pieces struck one of the boomers, shredding it in the blink of an eye. With a loud crash, the helicopter landed on its side, shuddering as it engine still attempted to turn rotors that weren't there anymore.

"Shit!" Cora screamed.

"Back inside!" Carlton roared, waving his pistol in a gesture of command.

"What do we do now?" Kyso wailed.

Carlton pointed the gun at her face and cocked the hammer. "If you say another word," he hissed, "I will kill you here and now. Do I make myself clear?" The Doctor nodded, her face pale and her eyes never leaving the muzzle less then half a meter from her face.

While her brother was staring down Kyso, Cora quickly recovered. "How long before we can get another copter ready?"

"At least fifteen minutes," one of the bodyguards answered.

"We don't have fifteen minutes." Carlton snapped. "If we stay out here, all we're doing is giving them targets. We'll have to use the subterranean escape route."

"What about the fighting below?" asked Cora, an ugly-looking submachine gun in her hands. "We can't afford to get caught in that."

"Then we better hurry." The CEO of G&B-Japan look at the surviving rooftop Boomer guard. "Come here!" he yelled at it.

The boomer, one of Carlton personal protection units, lumbered over to him. "Yes sir?" it asked, it's voice tinny and distorted by the
lack of disguise.

"You are to come with us."

"Yes, Sir."

The group started back towards the doors they'd come out of just moments before. Carlton was the last one in, even as the wail of the approaching aircraft told him that more intruders were coming back....

**********

Less then two minutes after the first pass, Sylia hit the rooftop with an easy grace, Linna and Nene behind her and off to the side. Off to her left, the Black Knights and the MALCORP troopers also left from the back ramp of the KnightWing, fanning out into a defensive formation.

"We're clear, Mackie," she told her brother over the Saber's private channel "Take her up."

//We'll be standing by. Good luck, Sis.//

//Nail some Boomers for me, Okay?// Priss added.

With a high pitched whine, the Knight Wing rose straight up into the darkness.

"Red Two and Three follow me," said Knight One. "We've got the point. Red Four, you're the trailer. I want the pod in the middle.

"Red Saber, Green Saber, go with Red Four," Sylia directed. "I'm going up front."

"Any questions?" asked Knight One. "Let's move out!"

**********

GENOM Tower
Sunday, December 23, 2035
5:10am

The city security control room was buried deep inside GENOM Tower. Tasked with handling and monitoring certain 'operations' that occurred in the city, the room was usually very quiet at this time of the morning. But this morning was an exception.

Every seat was filled, as every sector of the city was being observed for reports of battle in the shadow war that had just erupted. Police communications were monitored for the latest information, while others tracked skirmishes via satellite. Incident reports passed on to supervisors, who passed them on to the lavender-haired woman in charge. Everything was handled by experienced processionals.

Madigan was overseeing the operation from the glass-enclosed office overlooking the monitoring room. The only other person in the room was Wilson, the shift supervisor. He stood by the heavy glass and watched the controlled chaos happening below. Madigan sat behind the desk and glanced over the reports.

"We've having a hard time keeping up with everything that's happening right now," Wilson said. He was a big, solid-looking man with a lined face and graying hair. "There's several major battles in progress right this second, a couple of those running-type fights that we're trying to track."

"So I see," replied Madigan. After she had left the Chairman's office, she had come straight here. She sipped her coffee, about the only thing that kept her awake to this point. "Continue to monitor everything."

Wilson nodded. "Can I have your permission to downgrade surveillance of the Alpha Star aftermath?"

"What for?"

"Between the fires, the smoke, and the ADP presence, we're not picking up a lot of new data. Also, we need to expand our surveillance of these battles. I the reports are right, we have a three-sided battle in and around target Nightshade and we need to upgrade our response there."

"What do we have monitoring the refinery?" asked Madigan.

"Four BU-288 stealth recon-boomers and a couple of undercover BU-55s."

"Redirect two of the BU-288s and one of the Bu-55s to wherever they're needed. The others are to continue observing, but if they are challenged, they are to evade and escape. There can not be a hint of GENOM involvement in the night's work. Understand?"

"Yes Ma'am."

"What's the status on the strike unit tasked to target Lilly?"

Wilson glanced at a large screen on the far wall. "ETA is about one minute."

"Has the updated orders been downloaded to the strike team?"

"Yes Ma'am. We received acknowledgment from all the boomers four minutes ago."

Madigan nodded. A beep from the phone next to her interrupted the conversation. Wilson strode over and picked up the handset. "Yes?...How bad?...one moment." He cupped his hand on the receiver. "Ma'am, it appears there's already a battle occurring at the Gulf and Bradley headquarters building. The strike team is picking up explosions and fires on their sensors."

"It doesn't change anything," the lavender-haired woman replied. "Their orders stand. If anyone gets in their way, it's their own fault. This isn't a night for subtly."

"I understand." He relayed the orders to the other end of the telephone and hung up. "It's going to get real ugly for the Gulf and Bradley people in a matter of moments."

The woman shrugged. "Maybe next time, they'll think twice about challenging GENOM."

**********