Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Bubblegum Avatar #2 – "Born to be Killed" ❯ Chapter 7 - “The Planning Stage” ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
**************

Chapter 7 - “The Planning Stage”

**************

Craig wasn’t a morning person, especially since he had gotten only six hours of sleep the night before. But Sylia’s message on his answering machine from the night before had been clear and to the point: Meeting at seven thirty AM, my penthouse, don’t be late. He wouldn’t be able to follow Jeremy today, but Craig doubted that mattered now.

He glanced at his watch as he waited for the light to change at an intersection he was sitting at. Six forty-five AM. He had gotten up early, dressed, and left his home in plenty of time. For ease of use, he’d taken his motorcycle and was dressed for riding – black bomber jacket over a pullover shirt, so-called BDU pants also in black, heavy boots, and a full helmet. He hadn’t bother with a disguise this time, relying on the protection of the helmet.

Traffic was still light, but was still building slowly. In another hour, it would be straining the road network. The light turned green and Craig gunned his motorcycle forward. As the motorcycle rumbled forward, Craig’s stomach also rumbled, reminding him that he’s forgotten to grab breakfast before leaving. There was a small café in the Lady633 building. He could stop there and grab a cup of tea and an omelet or bagel before going up to Sylia’s apartment.

A late model car pulled abreast of him, and out of habit, he glanced over to mark it’s relative position. He glanced at the driver and his blood froze.

It was the female boomer from last night, still looking as beautiful and deadly as before.

Craig glanced away quickly, in part to keep the boomer from suspecting him of being anything more then a fellow migrant in the traffic. He slowed just enough to allow the car to pass him, then slipped in behind it.. It was three blocks to Sylia’s building, so Craig didn’t think the boomer would suspect anything if he stayed behind it for that length of time.

After ten minutes, the Lady633 building came into view. The boomer’s car slowed and signaled for a left turn, onto a side street that would take it past the building. Craig also signaled for the turn, suspicion nibbling at his mind. They made the turn on green, Craig allowing the car in front of him to gain some distance. The Lady633 building was now on their right, a modest seven-story structure in comparison to the other skyscrapers around it. To the left, opposite the Lady633, a parking garage sat between two taller office buildings. The boomer’s car slowed, signaling for a turn into the parking garage. After glancing behind him to make sure the lane was clear, Craig swung around the turning car and gunned the engine to increase his speed. He didn’t glance back until his reached the next intersection, and only long enough to see if the Boomer went into the parking garage.

It did.

Craig turned right, then left into an alley between two buildings and stopped. He removed his helmet and looked around. The Lady633 building hid him completely from the parking garage, so the boomer couldn’t see him.

“Shit,” he muttered forcefully. “Shit, shit, shit....” He reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out a cell phone. Talking a deep breath, he dialed a certain number and let it ring. After the fourth ring, it was answered. “Yes?” said a male voice.

“Mackie,” said Craig. “I need to talk to Sylia now. Don’t ask why and don’t argue. Tell her that Ishmael’s employee needs to talk to her.”

“Right.”

There was a wait of about two minutes before Sylia said, “What’s wrong?”

“I may be paranoid, but I just saw a female boomer drive into the parking garage across the street from your building.”

“When?”

“Just now.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive. I saw her last night.”

There was silence for a moment. “What happen last night?”

“In short, one or the other of the lovebirds has a shadow.”

Sylia sighed. “I’ll contact the others. We’ll shift the meeting to your place, two hours later then we planned.”

“Right. Anything else you need to know?”

“We’ll discuss it later.”

“Understood. See you then.” Craig broke the connection and put the phone back into his jacket. He started up the bike again and guided it down the alley. He couldn’t go back the way he’d come, as the boomer might have noticed him and put two and two together. That meant an alternative route home. “I knew things were going too well,” he muttered. Now, if Sylia managed to contact the others before they showed up....

*****

The people that showed up in Craig’s apartment at slightly before nine o’clock that morning were not in a cheerful mood. Priss was angry, while Nene and Linna looked worried. Sylia looked thoughtful and Mackie acted nervous. Craig didn’t look happy himself.

They were sitting around the dining room table, most with a cup of coffee and a danish sitting in front of them. Sylia sat at one end of the table, Craig at the other end, with Mackie and Priss on one side of the table, Nene and Linna on the other.

“You were right about the boomer,” Sylia said, looking at Craig. “After your call, I had Mackie scan the parking garage. The boomer had parked in a position to not only see the entrances of the Lady633 building, but also to see into the penthouse.”

“With eavesdropping gear firmly in talon,” Craig muttered. “With the amount of glass you have, it wouldn’t take more then a laser to pick up the vibrations and overhear everything.”

“It wouldn’t have done much good. My apartment is built to deter eavesdropping and surveillance.”

“But it could have seen us coming and going from the building,” said Nene. The danish sat untouched on the plate in front of her, a sign that she was worried.

“How long have they been watching us?” Priss asked, glaring at Sylia “They may have already figured out who we are!”

“The question is,” said Craig mildly, “Who’s doing the watching, Mason, or Largo?”

Priss turned to glare at him. “Who cares?”

“Simple. Mason suspects Sylia’s behind the Knight Sabers. Largo knows.”

“Priss’s right,” said Linna. “That means they might know who we all are.”

“I doubt it,” Sylia replied. “The top three floors of the parking garage, which are the only ones that offer a view of my penthouse, were just reopened after eight months of renovations. It is the only building around the Lady663 I do not own.”

That brought a stunned silence from the rest of the group. They knew Sylia was wealthy, but none had realized how wealthy she was. Sylia raised an eyebrow in amusement. “You didn’t think I operated the Sabers because I need the money, did you?”
Linna’s eyes were wide. “But those buildings must bring in millions a year just in rent!”

“They are part of my fortune,” Sylia replied, her voice serious again, “but they also serve other purposes that I won’t go into right now. But this event is disturbing, but not unexpected.”

“So what do we do about them?” Priss asked. “They’re not going away.”

“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. In the meantime, any meetings will be here or at Raven’s garage. If we can keep Mason and Largo in the dark about our plans, the better off we’ll be.”

“Why don’t we take both bastards out now?” Priss snarled. “We know where they are, all we have to do is get them!”

“Oh, sure,” said Craig, sarcasm dripping from his tone. “We attack GENOM Tower, the most heavily defended structure this side of the Death Star, fight through more boomers then I can imagine, find both of them. kill them, then fight our way out through the boomers we didn’t kill on the way in, plus any friends they happen to bring along. After that, we only have to worry about hiding from the largest corporation in the world. What’s easier then that?”

Before Priss could reply, Sylia said, “Enough. We are here about a new job, or rather, the continuation of an old one.”

“USSD?” asked Linna.

Sylia nodded. “It seems that Mason and Largo managed to hack into USSD files and stole a number of files relating to the black box.”

“Figures,” Craig mumbled. “How much did you manage to get them to cough up this time?”

“Our standard fee.”

“So we have to steal these files back?” Priss asked.

“Recover them,” Craig corrected.

“Oh, shut up.”

“What files did they managed to steal?” Nene asked.

“Most of the critical ones,” Sylia replied. “Wiring diagrams, program algorithms, integration modules, and the like.”

“How long for GENOM to hash out the data into a useable form?” Craig asked.
“For a functioning black box? Maybe as long as two months.”

“When did they hack into the system?’ Nene asked.

“Last week, just before the raid on the lab.”

“GENOM’s back-up plan,” Craig said, leaning back in his chair.

“It appears to be the case.”

“So what do we do?” Linna asked. “Go after the files?”

Sylia took a sip of her coffee before she continued. “I have people looking for the location, but GENOM has literally hundreds of places where they could be constructing and programming the black box in the city.”

“Not to mention the files being store somewhere in GENOM cyberspace,” Craig said looking down into his teacup.

“True. Most of my plans are in place. The first thing we need to do is get Jeremy out of the way.”

“And how do we do that?” Linna asked.

“We black bag him?” asked Craig.

“Black bag?” asked Nene. “What’s that?”

“We grab him, and hide him somewhere where GENOM or Mason can’t find him.”

“Oh.” The redhead though about it for a second. “But why do they call it ‘black bag?’”

“Later,” said Sylia. “But, yes, we ‘black bag’ him, as Craig put it.”

“When and where?” Linna asked.

“And how?” Craig added.

“We’ll move in one week,” Sylia said. “Nene, I need you to hack into the N-police personnel files....”

*****

Lunch for both Jeremy and Irene was a tense affair.

As soon as they met at the entrance to Matsui Park, Irene knew that Jeremy was upset about something. “What is it?” she whispered in his ear as he kissed her.

“Not now,” he hissed. “Let’s get something to eat and do some walking.”

They stopped at a food vender inside the park and bought some sandwiches and cola. They continued walking deeper into the park, Jeremy trying to look around them without being too obvious about it. When they finished the meal, they dropped the trash into a garbage can they passed. After that, he put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close to him.

A empty park bench was situated on a curve in the path. With a glance around to make sure they were alone, Jeremy guided Irene to it. “Sit,” he said softly, and waited until she was comfortable before he sat close to her.

“What’s wrong?” Irene asked.

“Something’s going on with the project I’m working on,” Jeremy replied stiffly.

“What?” she asked in a soft voice. “You’re already working on a combat boomer. What could be worse then that?”

Jeremy glanced around again. “Word came down this morning that a component we’re suppose to install won’t be ready for two weeks, but we’re suppose to start testing of the major systems in three days.”

“Isn’t that a bit soon?”

“It’s two and a half weeks ahead of schedule!”

“What does this component you’re missing do?”

“We don’t know. The component isn’t listed on any of the diagrams, but there’s power relays and circuit points leading to an empty spot on the diagrams. We have no idea what this component could be.”

“So, what’s wrong?”

“We’re going to a overnight schedule when we start the system testings.”

Irene frowned. “Isn’t that unusual?”

“Very.” Jeremy looked around again.

“Why do you keep looking around?” Irene asked.

“There’s a new security consultant on the project,” her fiancé replied, looking at her again. “He calls himself ‘Mr. Largo’, but he isn’t human.”

“He’s a boomer?”

“If he isn’t, then he’s a boomeriod.” He tried to repress a shudder, but didn’t quite succeed. “When he looks at you, he looks through you, like you’re not there. And he treats everyone like they’re slaves. You can’t complain or question anything he says, because he will not accept it. He’s the one who ordered the advancement on the testing schedule.” He took a deep breath. “This Largo has also increased the amount of security around the project to the point where there’s talk we’re going to have to live at the lab until the testing is done.”

“You don’t like this Largo.”

“Like him? We’re all scared shitless of him!” Jeremy took a deep breath. “He has three aides, and they have to be boomers. They all females, all beautiful, but they give all of us the creeps. They keep looking at us like we’re targets in some sick game of theirs.”

“What about Mr. Mason? Can’t he get this Mr. Largo off your backs?”

“He’s the one that assigned him to us!”

“How long will this testing take?” Irene asked, staring into Jeremy’s eyes.

“At least a week.”

“How long before the project is done?”

Jeremy shrugged. “Another month or so. The system tests are that last big hurdle. After that, it’s writing reports and other paperwork. Depending on Doctor Jackson’s mood, I might be able to leave a week or two early.”

Irene leaned over and kissed him. “Good. You are going to need at least a week to relax before the wedding, and I intend to make sure you do just that.”

Jeremy grinned. “And just how are you goi – ulk!”

Irene held the kiss for as long as she could before she released him. She smiled at the slightly stunned look Jeremy had on his face. “Does that give you a clue?” Without another word, she slipped into his arms.

For a moment, neither one of them said anything, just a couple enjoying each other and beautiful spring day. Then, Jeremy said softly, “I’m quitting my job after this project.”

“Why?” asked Irene. She thought she knew the reason, but she needed to hear it from him.

“This project is....wrong.” Irene felt him tighten his arms tighten around her. “This boomer scares me. There’s no reason to for this...abomination to exist. I can’t be a part of such a company anymore.”

“Why not quit now?” Irene asked.

Jeremy shoot his head. “Not with Largo and those boomers on top of us. I’m afraid that if I did quit now, I’d end up suffering a fatal ‘accident’. After the project is over, they won’t be watching us as closely, and we’ll be able to slip away.”

“Slip away?”

“I think it will be for the best.”

“And what will you do?”

“Go an work for another corporation, one that’s willing to overlook the circumstances of my resignation.”

Irene know of such a corporation, but kept silent. She would use her connection with the Chang Group only as a last resort. Jeremy was marrying her because he love her, not because she was the granddaughter of the head of the fourth largest megacorporation on the planet. If Jeremy had a fault, it was pride. From what little Irene knew of Jeremy’s work, she knew he was more then competent as a lab technician. He had gotten the job with GENOM based on his education and excellent skills, all accumulated because of his determination and intelligence. To have a job simply because he was related to someone would be a blow to his self esteem that might breed resentment at her and his life..

If it came down to it, she knew it would take Grandfather about ten seconds to find a position for his Grandson-in-law in the Chang Group, and it would be suited to his skills and abilities. But it was a card best to hold onto until it was needed. The possibility that she could be returning to the protective and stifling cocoon she had work so hard to escape never crossed her mind.

Jeremy glanced at his watch. “Damn,” he groaned. “I have to get back to work. I can’t see you tonight because of the party. How about tomorrow night?’

“Can’t,” Irene replied. “My bachelorette party? Remember?”
Her fiancé nodded, his expression one of disappointment. “Sorry, forgot,” he said. “How about Friday? A movie and dinner? It may be the last time we can see each other during the evenings for a while.”

“Sounds good to me. Pick me up at seven, at my place?”

Jeremy smiled, reminding her of another reason she loved him. “It’s a date.” He stood up.

Irene also stood and put her arms around his neck. “Please,” she whispered, “be careful, especially around this Largo and those female boomers. Something about the way you describe them bothers me.”

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer. “I will be,” he said. “It will all work out, I promise.” he released her and gently removed her arms from around his neck. “I have to go. But I want you to stop worrying. I will be careful. I promise.”

She grabbed his head, pulled it down, and gave him a kiss full of passion and fire, an inducement to keep his promise. He let the kiss continue for a full ten second before he broke the kiss and stepped back, his face slightly flushed. “I love you,” he said softly.

“I love you,” she repeated back to him.

He turned and walked away hurriedly, leaving Irene alone. She repressed the urge to shudder at the sudden spike of coldness that ran down her spine. Trying to shake off the feeling of dread, she looked down at the glittering diamond on her finger.

It didn’t glitter with the same light as it had when Jeremy had gotten down on one knee and proposed to her that night in the restaurant. Instead, it was as if a shadow was between the light and the diamond, dimming, but not yet eliminating the sparkle. Another stab of coldness went down her spine, as she felt a premonition.

“Oh, God,” she whispered, “Please keep him safe....”

*****

Mason looked up as Largo entered his office. “What is it?” he asked, his tone cool. He was sitting at his desk, reviewing several reports on special projects he oversaw, including the Lazarus project, which held a special interest for him.

The boomer looked at him with amusement. As always, he was dressed in a sober suit and tie that did nothing to hide the obvious fact he wasn’t a flesh and bone human. “Have you had lunch yet?” he asked mildly.

Mason took a deep breath and glared at him. “Yes, Now answer the question; What are you doing here?”

Largo close the office door behind him and walked over to the window. He stared out at the skyline. “I have some matters to discuss with you about the BU-99CX1 Project.”

“You’re not alone in wanting to discuss that,” Mason replied. “Under what authority did you move the BU-99CX1 Project’s systems tests up by two weeks? And without waiting for the Satellite targeting system?”

“I used your authority,” Largo replied, not looking at Mason.

“I thought I said that you were suppose to bring anything like this to my attention first.”

“I decided there wasn’t time.”

You decided?” Mason’s face was a mask of anger. “Do you know what you have done?”

“I am fully aware of what I have done,“ Largo replied easily. “Everything is still on schedule. I just decided that, as a security measure, to move the tests up two weeks,”

“What about the ‘accident’?”

“That has also been moved up. It’s set to occur Saturday night.”

Mason’s eyes narrowed. “Why the hurry?”

“I suspect that the Knight Sabers will make an attempt to destroy the BU-99CX1 Project sometime in the next two weeks, instead of waiting and allowing us to take it to the factory.”

“And how would the Knight Sabers know about the BU-99CX1 Project?” Mason asked, his glare never leaving Largo’s face. “The security on that is airtight!”

The boomer shrugged. “Maybe the same way they discover Frederick and his team on Aqua City, I suppose.” he turned his head slowly to look at Mason. “But it just as likely that they would be getting their information from someone working on the project.”

“Who?”

“The best chance is a technician by the name of Jeremy Kwan. He’s been talking to his fiancee, an Irene Cann, about it.”

“So?”
“So, I just discovered that Irene Cann is really Irene Chang, granddaughter of Dr. Chang Chongk.”

Mason half-rose out of his chair, his expression. “The Hou Bang know about the 99CX1?”

“It seems very likely, and it’s probable that they hired the Knight Sabers to destroy the 99CX1 prototype.” Largo pulled a small green disk out of a pocket and walked over to Mason’s desk. “This,” he said, holding the disk up, “is the proof that Irene Cann is really Irene Chang.” He placed the disk on the desk and stepped back to the position he’d occupied at the window.

Mason picked up the disk. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. Isn’t it convenient that the granddaughter of GENOM’s major competitor in weapons happens to be engaged to a technician working on our most advanced combat boomer design?”

“They will have to be killed.”

“Agreed. When do you want them dead?”

“Kwan can die on Saturday with the rest of the team. Chang dies the next day.” Mason sat down again. “I will take care of Chang. Make sure security stays tight on the 99CX1.”

“It will.”

“Have you had any luck on narrowing down that list of possible Knight Saber members?”

“A few,” Largo replied. “There’s still twelve thousand names and we’re moving carefully, so as not to alert our prey.”

“What about this Avatar of yours?”

“We had a possible target, but he managed to elude the surveillance. It’s interesting to note that he and another woman had dinner with Kwan and Chang last night.”

“I see.”

“But I will find him, sooner or later.”

“Don’t get wrapped up in your vendetta against this so-called ‘Avatar,’” Mason said, his voice cold.

Largo chuckled, a cold, harsh sound. “And your concern with the Knight Sabers is purely professional?” he asked in an amused tone of voice.
“They have cost GENOM a great deal of money.”

This time, the boomer laughed. “Which is more then made up for by the amount GENOM has saved by using the Knight Sabers to test the new designs. It is you who should be careful not to allow obsession to cloud your judgement.”

“Don’t tell me how to do my job.”

Largo looked at Mason. “Your fetish with Sylia Stingray will get you killed,” he said flatly.

“I can handle her,” Mason snarled.

“The same way you’ve handle this ‘Bert van Vliet’ so far?”

“I haven’t heard from him since that...’whoopie cushion.’” The last two words were spat out with disgust. “Besides, he is your problem.”

Largo nodded. “I will continue to look for him, but he is not my main concern right this minute. The 99CX1 is.” He removed another disk, this one blue in color, from his pocket. “This is a series of security measures I want to implement on the project. While they are not as time sensitive as moving the project up two weeks, they must be implemented within thirty-six hours.”

Mason took the disk from Largo. “You will have an answer within twenty-four hours.”

“Good.” the superboomer walked to the office door. Just short of the door, he turned and looked back at Mason. “There’s one other thing you should be aware of. Madigan has had people asking questions they shouldn’t be asking.”

“What sort of questions?”

“About Lazarus.”

The Special Assistant scowled. “I will take care of it.”

“Of course.” With that, Largo opened the door and went out, ignoring the venomous stare Mason sent after him. Unknown to the other, each had the same thought on their mind at that moment: It won’t be long before you outlive your usefulness to me....