Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Stage Three ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Bubblegum Crisis Stage Three
Part Seven

The inside of assembly factory Six was dark as Priss Asagiri lead the way in, the brown haired woman looking around her warily. The jeans she wore gave her a good freedom of movement, the jacket providing some protection from injury as well.

“Are you two armed?” Priss murmured softly, feeling the comforting weight of the pistol she carried concealed at the small of her back.

“No,” Reika Chang shook her head reluctantly, deciding not to mention the shock baton that she had concealed up her coat's sleeve. A surprise weapon was only useful if it stayed a surprise, after all.

Linna shrugged in reply as the darker brown haired woman mildly said, “Trust me, I really don't need to be armed.”

Just then the dark interior of the factory lit up, blinding them for a moment. “Ah!” Priss yelped in pain and surprise, shielding her eyes from the bright light.

As the spots faded from their eyes the three young women looked around them in disbelief. The run down exterior of the factory now hid what looked like a state of the art command center, with a advanced looking computer rig, several parked vehicles to one side and what looked like two advanced combat suits resting against the far wall. The place nearly gleamed, it was so new, and the implied cost of all this was incredible.

“Welcome, Miss Asagiri, Miss Yamazxaki. I wasn't entirely expecting Miss Chang, but I think we can use you too,” the voice drew their attention to another doorway on the far end of the building where two women were emerging.

“You!” Linna yelped, her face going pale as she recognized Sylia Stingray.

“Miss Stingray,” Reika also looked like she had seen a ghost. In all the bad scenarios she had envisioned, nothing had equaled the idea that the president of the company knew about her and Linna's relationship. They were, to put it nicely, probably ruined....

“Stingray?” Priss echoed, blinking at her in surprise. She had only seen photos of the new boss but she easily recognized the woman once she was identified. Unlike the photos she didn't look sweetly bland, instead a dangerous intelligence sparkled in her eyes.

“I apologize for the methods I used to bring you here,” Sylia said, “but I needed to contact you in a fashion that would keep our meeting covert.”

“Besides, it was fun,” the pink haired woman walking beside her said cheerfully.

Sylia made a face, “Hush, Nene.”

“Yes, boss,” Nene Romanova smiled back, the police hacker now dressed in slightly smudged coveralls in a soft brown.

“What the heck is going on?” Linna had to ask, summoning her courage and trying to put various disastrous scenarios out of her mind.

“I need your help,” Sylia admitted. She looked over the three of them, “First, let me assure you I have no intention of blackmailing you. I only used those photos to bring you here.”

Priss looked more than a bit annoyed, “And how do we know that?”

“Miss Asagiri,” Sylia actually looked amused as she said, “if I wanted to destroy you utterly I could, photo or no photo.”

“Oh,” Priss blinked, acknowledging the point.

“Boss, that's not helping,” Nene pointed out to her with a smile. “Carrot first, then stick.”

“Nene,” Sylia sighed.

“Shutting up,” Nene laughed as she walked over and sat at the computer, bringing up the system as she began to type quickly.

Reika pushed her hair back, her expression intent as she studied Sylia. “Miss Stingray,” she said respectfully, “I would appreciate a explanation.”

Sylia actually looked rather amused by Reika's serious gaze, but she nodded slightly. “Ladies, I'd like to hire you for a matter of some urgency,” she explained, “but separate from your existing employ with Genom.”

“Okay...,” Priss blinked.

“I'll explain once you've accepted,” Sylia admitted. “If you are not interested, you are welcome to walk out that door with no adverse consequences. However, you also will not get the reward.”

“Reward?” Linna raised eyebrow,

“I've done some research on each of you, even Ms. Chang. I think what I'll be offering you will more than compensate for your services,” Sylia smiled mysteriously.

“Like?” Priss pushed.

Sylia looked at her thoughtfully a moment. “I'm aware of your situation with your recording contract. I'll either buy you out of it, or have it renegotiated more in your favor.”

“Huh,” Priss hesitated, debating just walking right out the door. But Stingray clearly had the power to give her what she wanted, and to be honest she was kind of intrigued by this cloak and dagger stuff. Whatever had caused Stingray to do this had to be interesting....

Reika and Linna exchanged a glance. Both were loyal to Genom, the company had treated them well. Plus there was... something about Sylia. She had a certain charisma about her, a passionate fire that blazed beneath that neatly cut suit.

“Stay?” Linna asked softly, reaching out to Reika's hand.

“Stay,” Reika agreed as she took Linna's hand.

Priss made a face but nodded, “I'm in.”

“Then please sign these,” Sylia gestured towards the documents on the meeting table, “standard confidentiality contracts.”

“You've got to be kidding....” Priss grumbled, making sure to read through before signing.

Both Reika and Linna signed too, then they sat around the table as Nene appeared with several ups of coffee. “I'd offer something better,” Nene apologized with a half smile, “but someone hasn't installed a premium brewer yet.”

“We're roughing it,” Sylia said perfectly deadpan as she sat back in a leather padded seat, her fine no wrinkle suit spotless.

Linna snorted with amusement as Reika drank her coffee. “So why all this drama, Miss Stingray?” Reika asked.

“I think there is a conspiracy at work within Genom,” Sylia said frankly as she sipped her own coffee, “one that has already attempted to target my life.”

Linna's eyes widened a bit, “The boomer attack at your office?”

“Exactly,” Sylia said as she explained the circumstances around that attack as well as what details they had found so far.

“We've had three attacks so far,” Nene revealed, “all three associated with attempts either by myself or Sylia to access data relating to either Boomer failures, AD Police responses to Boomers or to cracking the sealed data block.”

“Any idea what's in it?” Priss had to ask.

“If they knew that,” Linna mused, “they wouldn't be trying to crack it.”

“So what do you need me for?” Priss had to ask. “No way am I good with this computer crap.”

“Body guard,” Sylia said promptly. “I'm well aware of your... more interesting escapades, Miss Asagiri.”

“Priss,” she corrected as she smiled wryly. She had always known running with the gangs when she was younger was going to come back at her, but she hadn't expected it to be like this. “You got gear?” she asked. “I'm carrying, but my pea shooter ain't gonna do much against Boomers.”

“We have some... things in mind,” was all Sylia would say in reply.

To be continued....