Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Ultimate Bubblegum Crisis ❯ Ties That Bind - Part 1 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ultimate Bubblegum Crisis -Ties That Bind Part 1
 
 
 
MegaTokyo, 2032
 
 
 
“The test subjects are in place, your imminence.” A teenage boy said from a kneeling position at Madigan's feet. The teen was dressed in a black body suit that had circuitry placed at various locations and around his neck was a thin metallic collar.
 
“Good. Let's see if this batch is any better than the last.” The purple haired woman with the Scottish accent said as she headed for the exit of the laboratory. Arrayed throughout the laboratory were large tanks filled with viscous liquids in a rainbow of colors. Inside the tanks, the outlines of individuals could be made out, but Madigan passed by them without a glance. With practiced ease she placed her hand within a handprint reader as she set her chin into a rest for her retina to be scanned.
 
The scan completed, and her identity verified, Madigan strolled into a large round room. In the center of the room stood a platform overlooking a large pool of bubbling red liquid, a light haze of pink mist covering the floor near it. Along the walls stood row upon row of mainframe computers with dummy terminals, while seated at various workstations were five people, all dressed in white lab coats. Two guardian boomers stood on guard at the door, their unblinking gaze taking in her entry without emotion.
 
< If this works, beasties, you'll be replaced. And I'll replace the chairman after my other project bears its fruit. > Madigan thought as she headed towards the platform. On the platform stood a man with blonde hair that was gray at the temples and appeared to be in his late 40s to early 50s, his hands clasped behind his back in military parade rest as he observed something in the liquid below him. His face revealed no emotion whatsoever.
 
“What do you think?” Madigan asked as she climbed up to the landing beside the man.
 
“It doesn't matter what I think. You pay me and I'll continue to do jobs for you. I don't give a shit about your projects, Madigan.” He responded.
 
Her eyes blazed at the man's insolence as she replied, “You WILL give me proper respect or I will use you as material for my `projects'. Am I clear?”
 
“Crystal.” Was all he said as his lifeless blue eyes stared at Madigan.
 
“Good. Now you understand what your next assignment is, correct?”
 
“Yeah, I understand it. Pique the X Men's curiosity to lure them to you. Specifically Phoenix. He is a valid target. What I don't understand is why you want the flatscan too.”
 
“Don't worry about that. Both of them are key to my long range plans, so failure is not an option for you, understood?” Madigan asked.
 
“Understood. When I take a job, I finish it no matter the situation. One question though.” The man inquired.
 
“Go, ahead.”
 
“What happens if the Chairman discovers your plans, your imminence?” he asked, the sarcasm dripping from the last two words.
 
“Nothing, because he will NOT discover this project. Correct?”
 
“Right. Your imminence.” The man replied, a smirk plastered on his face.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
A pinpoint of light cut through the murky water that had swallowed the sunken Aqua City. The lights became stronger as they descended the depths of the bay, finally reaching the sandy floor of the bay. Three female forms moved through the wreckage of the ruined man-made island, none of them wearing breathing apparatus, just masks to keep the bay's pollutants from their optics.
 
Methodically, the three moved through the detritus, searching for an unknown prize. With an inhuman grace they sliced through the water, eyes continuously scanning the area. Finally, one of the `women' discovered the remains of a small boomer amongst the twisted metal and concrete. With sure movements she removed the head from the miniature boomer and signaled her teammates to surface. A swift kick from each of their legs propelled them to the surface and a waiting zodiac.
 
In a large corporate yacht cruising nearby, Brian J. Mason watched his personal assassin boomers retrieve the black box from the remains of the USSD killer doll boomer, formerly known as Cynthia. < Good, it appears to be intact. >
 
“Andersen.” Mason called out.
 
“Yes, sir?”
 
“Have the box installed into the new boomer.”
 
“Right away, sir.”
 
“And Andersen. Have the boomer immediately moved after installation and the witnesses… disposed of. Understood?” Mason commanded.
 
“Consider it done sir.”
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
Chris sat back into the overstuffed sofa, the wounds from his battle with the fusion boomer itching like mad as they healed. At the other end of the couch sat Jubilee, pointedly ignoring Chris and holding a conversation with Kitty who was seated in an armchair nearby. < Wonder how long she's going to hate me? > He thought as he tried to find a comfortable position.
 
< She will get over it, Christopher. > Professor Xavier's mental `voice' sounded in his brain.
 
< I know, but I really do hate having this wedge between us. She's still my best friend, Professor. > Chris replied.
 
< Just give her some space, Christopher. The wound is very raw, as I know you are aware, and she needs to heal. Believe me, son, it will get better. > The Professor said. < We'll discuss this further if you wish, Christopher, but right now our guests have arrived. >
 
< Thanks, Professor. > Chris thought back. He rose from his seat to grab something to drink, and escape the cold shoulder he was receiving, just as their guests arrived, led by Mariko and Logan. Behind the couple came four women, the Knight Sabers, their new allies. The first through the doorway was Sylia Stingray, the tall, lithe leader of the Knight Sabers. Following her came two young women, a Japanese beauty wearing a yellow headband, while the other was a petite red head with a look of innocence about her. Finally, through the entrance came another familiar face, a beautiful young brunette with red brown eyes.
 
“Priss.” Chris said softly as the women entered the lounge and found seats for themselves. She looked directly at him and smiled a nervous little smile. Their eyes locked and at that moment the whole world seemed to stop for both of them. Chris could feel himself being drawn to this woman in ways he never thought possible as his heart pounded in his chest. The rest of the world melted away as Chris lost himself in her eyes, which held a fire that mesmerized the young X Man. She became the center of his attention and nothing else mattered, at least not until Logan ran into him with his shoulder to awaken him from his reverie.
 
“Pay attention, kid.” Logan said gruffly as he brushed past Chris. Chris broke his eye contact with Priss and walked briskly towards the door to hide the bright shade of crimson that had colored his face as he realized the rest of the room was staring at the two of them. He could have sworn he saw Kitty and the redheaded Knight Saber trying hard to stifle giggles, but Chris did his best to ignore them as he made good his escape.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Priss watched Chris leave the living room, as she shook herself free from the semi-hypnotic state she had been in while looking into Chris's eyes. To hide her discomfort she quickly looked away and set her best `tough biker chick' look on her face to try and hide the confusion. She noticed Linna staring at her, her head cocked to one side with a questioning look.
 
“Not a word, Linna.” Priss growled to her grinning friend.
 
“Wouldn't dream of it.” Linna replied feigning innocence.
 
< What the hell is wrong with me? I'm acting like a damn schoolgirl. > Priss thought as she sat down on a couch beside Linna and the girl who fought the fusion boomer with them, Jubilee. Lost in her own thoughts, Priss failed to notice the jealous look that Jubilee shot her way. She did however notice the giggling Nene and glared at her until the red head quieted at the unspoken threat.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
Chris leaned heavily against the sink, his head bent forward as if he were staring into the drain as the water flowed freely from the faucet. < What the hell is wrong with me? I just met her, for Christ's sakes. > Chris thought.
 
“Do you think you can control yourself now?” Chris asked his reflection in the mirror. A sardonic smile curved his lips as he thought of how ridiculous this seemed. Here he was, a powerful mutant, a `superhero', and a grown man, and he was in a bathroom trying to get control of himself because of the way a woman made him feel.
 
Before Chris could answer himself, a soft knock came at the door. “Chris? Are you alright?” Mariko's voice inquired from the other side.
 
“Yeah, M'iko, I'm fine. I'll be right out. Thanks.”
 
“OK, Chris. The Professor will be starting in a couple of minutes.” She replied. Chris could tell from her tone of voice she didn't exactly believe him.
 
He breathed deeply and slowly exhaled, trying to gain some semblance of composure. < Time to hear what the Professor has planned for our vacation in MegaTokyo. > Chris thought as he walked out of the bathroom.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
Chris entered the living room to find all the chairs filled by X Men and Knight Sabers, so he took a spot leaning against the wall beside Logan.
 
“Think you can keep your mind on business, kid?” Logan asked as he elbowed Chris in the ribs, a grin splitting his face.
 
“Stick it up your ass, old man.” Chris growled in response as leaned back, his arms folded across his chest. The Canadian mutant's grin broadened at Chris' response, but before he could continue Professor Xavier wheeled into the room.
 
“Good afternoon to all of you. For the members of the Knight Sabers who have never met me, I am Charles Xavier, founder of the X Men.”
 
“As all of you are aware, both of our organizations are operating in MegaTokyo for the time being. What you do not know is that there is a great deal of evidence that points to a connection between our nemeses. It appears that a faction of GENOM may be behind the mutant abductions and GENOM also appears to have been involved with the Aqua City incident. There is not enough to prove the connection yet, at least not in the law's eyes, and to be honest; GENOM is very good at covering its tracks, so I find it highly unlikely that we ever will prove their duplicity. But in light of this evidence, Ms. Stingray has agreed to share information with us on GENOM and to help us with our boomer fighting tactics. This will be especially helpful considering the results of our last encounter with boomers.” Xavier said as he looked directly at Chris. To his credit Chris kept his face an impassive mask that was only marred by a slight coloring of his cheeks. “Miss Stingray, would like to add anything?”
 
“Thank you, Professor. As the professor stated, there is evidence that points toward GENOM's involvement. It appalls me that they are using human beings as laboratory animals to improve their bottom line, but this appears to be the case. For that reason, and that reason only am I agreeing to this `partnership'. The Knight Sabers are not a high profile organization like the X Men and that works in our favor. I want to keep it that way.”
 
“We will be bringing you to our training facility and gauging your fighting abilities against boomers. From that point we will show you some of the weak points on boomers to exploit, as well as recognizing the differing types. Hopefully, by our two teams working together we can end GENOM's evil plans.”
 
“So when do we start?” Kitty asked.
 
“Within the next few days, Kitty.” Xavier stated. “And you will also split into pairs to patrol the city to assist any mutants being harried by the hunter teams. We can't expect to save all of the mutants in MegaTokyo, but we will help as many as we can. Mariko will be handling the care of the mutants we do assist, and generally keep all of you children from running amok.”
 
“So you aren't sticking around, Charley?” Logan asked as he sipped a beer.
 
“No, unfortunately, I am needed on Capitol Hill for another round of hearings on the Mutant Equality Act. That means you're going to be in charge in the field Logan.” Xavier replied.
 
“Oh joy.”
 
“I'm sure you will do fine, Logan. Now, since our agreement is official, why don't we adjourn to the dining room and have some lunch?” the Professor suggested.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
From the rooftop of an apartment building across from the X Men's Tinsel City condominium, a middle-aged man with graying blonde hair lay flat on his belly peering through a set of binoculars. His vantage point afforded him a clear view of the dining room and he could clearly identify eight of the eleven people in the room. A feral grin cut across his face as he recognized one of the people in the room.
 
“Wolverine. Looks like I get my rematch after all, old man. This time it's on my terms though.”
 
The man switched on the transceiver for the miniature communications unit that was affixed on his mandible, just below his right ear. Static filled the receiver for a moment, then a digitized female voice commanded, “Report.”
 
“The X Men are in the condo as we thought and I have confirmed their IDs. The conditions are right for the situation to proceed as planned, your Imminence.”
 
“Good. You may proceed at your discretion.”
 
“Thanks.” The man said as the malicious grin once again split his face.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Priss and Linna sat down at a small table in a street side café the next morning for breakfast. Well it was breakfast for Priss, but more like an early lunch for Linna who actually got up before 10 AM every day. The two friends were seated at a window seat overlooking the GENOM Kanto memorial park. The park consisted of a large statue of a younger Chairman Quincy holding a little girl in his arms as he point to the theoretical future and open grassy area. Overall, the park butted up against the southern public entrance to the mammoth GENOM tower.
 
Linna noticed Priss staring out the window towards the park, a far off look in her red-brown eyes, and said around a bite of food, “Don't like your food? Or has a certain young mutant finally cracked through your armor? Hmmm?”
 
“I don't know what you mean, Linna.” The singer responded, trying hard to take on an air of indifference, which was in turn ruined by her cheeks turning a lovely rosy hue.
 
“Priss, you can't fool me. You've got a thing for this guy, admit it. It is ok to have feelings, y'know.” Linna said.
 
“I'll admit he is cute, Linna, but that's it. Just drop it, alright?”
 
“Whatever you say, Priss.” Linna agreed, a tiny smile on her lips. Linna had never seen the brunette singer act this way about a man before and she was going to milk it for all it was worth. She also realized that if she kept pushing Priss about this, the fiery young woman would probably try to kick her ass, so Linna chose the better part of valor.
 
“What do you think about this `partnership' Sylia has started with Xavier?” Linna asked as a way of changing the subject.
 
“I don't know. On the one hand the intentions seem to be noble on both sides, but I hate the fact Sylia decided something like this without at least talking to us first.” Priss said.
 
“I feel the same way, but there is something else all of us aren't being told, and that includes the X Men. Sylia and Xavier are both holding something back from the rest of us.” Linna replied.
 
“You're right, but all we can do is trust Sylia. She wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the team would she?”
 
“We'll have to wait and see I guess.” Linna said as she looked out the window toward the oppressive GENOM tower. Around the south entrance a large throng of people had gathered and she could make out several ADP cruisers. “Hey I wonder what is happening over there?”
 
“Huh?” Priss questioned before she turned in her seat to look at what had caught Linna's attention. “Something is happening over there. Let's finish up and take a look.”
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
A right fist whistled by Chris' face as he moved to his left. He tucked into a roll, avoiding the contact, and tried to get into a less compromising position. His opponent, Logan, pressed his advantage, and followed Chris across the floor, just a step behind him.
 
Before he realized it, Chris was backed against the wall of the gymnasium. A feral grin of victory crossed Logan's face as he stalked his prey. “You're going soft, Summers. Isn't it embarrassing that an `Old Man' is kicking your ass?” Logan asked.
 
“Yeah it is, but at least I was able to take down a combat boomer, O Wizened One.” Chris returned.
 
“Took your new little girlfriend to finish the big fish though, didn't it kid?” Logan countered.
 
“I don't have a girlfriend Logan.” Chris replied with some heat.
 
“Aww. Is the noble Phoenix ashamed that he flaunted his very obvious interest in that brunette Knight Saber in front of his recently EX-girlfriend?” Logan continued, obviously enjoying Chris' discomfort.
 
“Fuck you, Logan!”
 
With that Chris did something no sane man would do; he closed to within claw range of Wolverine. Anger at the words Logan had spoken, and the truth in which they were based fueled the furious assault Chris leveled at his sparring partner. The ferocity of the attack drove Logan back, surprised by Chris' violent reaction. For years now the two would needle each other when working out together, no holds barred, and neither taking the jibes seriously. But Logan could tell that had changed when Chris' eyes began to glow as he began to draw upon his powers.
 
“Enough, Chris!” Logan yelled as he backed away from the angry young man.
 
“That was way outta line, Logan!” the younger X man spat, and a ball of psionic fire began to engulf his right hand as his anger raged. The sudden recognition of his actions flashed across his face as he saw the gathered energy in his hand for the first time.
 
“Oh God! I'm sorry, Logan. I just saw red and reacted.” Chris said as he released his power and hung his head in shame.
 
Logan studied the young man for a moment deciding what he wanted to handle this. One side of him wanted to beat the hell out of the punk for losing control during a sparring match, but the older, more mature side of him (which would make Charley laugh) realized the kid was hurting, probably more than Logan realized.
 
“C'mon, Chris, let's go have a talk.” Logan suggested. He led the silent Chris from of the gym, after a quick stop in the kitchen to grab a couple of beers, out onto a balcony that overlooked downtown MegaTokyo. He handed Chris a beer and opened his own, taking a long pull from it.
 
“Alright, talk bub.” Logan began.
 
~ Sigh. ~ “Things are pretty fucked up right now for me, Logan.” Chris said as he stared out at the masses went about their business below them.
 
“I can tell. Look Chris, I'm not your Daddy, but I'd like to think we're like brothers. I've got part of the story, but there is no way what I know can cause you to act like this. Talk to me.”
 
“Logan, you know that Jubilee and I were together for a long time.” Chris said, looking at his friend for confirmation. “We were each others first loves, and the reality is I love her, but I'm not IN love with her anymore. Maybe we became too comfortable with each other and lost the magic, or maybe we were just too young. I don't know and I've beaten the hell out of myself trying to figure it out. You were away from the Institute when the troubles started and they just snowballed. We didn't talk much and we just seemed to be going through the motions of being a couple. Finally, I gathered the nerve to try and talk to her about it and let's just say Jubes reacted badly. The Professor gave me a solo assignment to Russia, to check up on the Rasputins, so I could get away, but I came straight here when we found out what was happening here in MegaTokyo.”
 
“That explains the cold shoulder Jubes is giving you, but why are you so touchy about that Knight Saber chick?” Logan asked.
 
“Priss, her name is Priss. And I don't know why Logan. We've just met, but I seem drawn to her for some reason. It kinda scares how much I seem to need to be with her.” Chris answered.
 
“Priss it is then. You know that Jubilee noticed the stare you and Priss shared at the meeting.” Logan stated.
 
“Yeah, I know. She gave me an earful later about how I could at least have the decency to not flaunt it in front of her. I'm just glad the professor put you in charge while we're here. If she had to listen to my orders, I think that I would probably receive a more than a few of her pfaffs my way.” Chris replied, a look of anguish upon his face.
 
“Well thanks a lot, kid, you know how much I hate being the responsible one.” Logan teased Chris, trying to improve the younger man's mood. “Well, since I'm in charge, I get to make the pairings for our patrolling. I know you and Jubilee usually work together, but all things considered, I think Kitty would be a better partner for you right now.”
 
“Thanks, Logan.”
 
“You just take care of Kitty. She's been out of the game for awhile and she's rusty.” Logan replied in a serious tone.
 
“I'll take care of her, Logan.” Chris said as he stared out over the MegaTokyo skyline. “Y'know it's kind of early for beer Logan.”
 
“Bite your bloody tongue, boy.”
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
A crowd of curious onlookers gathered at the south entrance of the GENOM tower. GENOM internal security was positioned around the entrance, while the ground pounders in the ADP formed a crowd control perimeter. Linna and Priss moved through the crowd, receiving unfriendly glares as they advanced to the perimeter for a better look. As they finally worked their way to the front, a young girl broke through the police line and rushed up to a man in a business suit who was flanked by three women, just in front of the public entrance of the Tower.
 
“Hey!” Linna exclaimed.
 
“Do you know her, Linna?” Priss asked. Her gaze never left the girl as she rushed the suit and was very obviously giving him a piece of her mind.
 
“Yes, she goes to the health club I work at.” Linna replied.
 
Priss was about to respond when one of the women flanking the suit moved forward and slapped the young woman. The force of the blow was actually enough to send her tumbling down the steps leading up to the buildings entrance.
 
“Bitch!” Priss said as a flash of anger swelled in her. She pushed through the police line only to be stopped by an officer in full riot gear.
 
“Where do you think you're going, babe?” the ADP officer asked with a smug look on his face.
 
“Wherever I want to, buddy!” Priss growled, as her knee met the unfortunate officer's groin. She continued up the steps towards the suit's party, while the officer crumpled to the ground into a fetal position. In the background she heard the officer's partner snicker and comment, “I bet that felt good.” as he stopped Linna from following her.
 
Priss arrived at the landing at the top of the stairs where the suit and his bodyguards were standing, immediately heading for the woman who struck the girl. Her right hand connected with a meaty smack against the woman's face, the bodyguard not even flinching as pain shot up Priss' arm. It felt as if she had slapped a brick wall. Before her stood the female bodyguard, not a mark on her, smirking.
 
“Try this!” Priss yelled as she leveled a right cross at the bodyguard's head. The woman's hand shot up from her side with uncanny speed and caught Priss' fist in her palm. The smirk widened on her face as she slowly applied pressure to the captured hand, slowly inflicting crushing pain upon her opponent.
 
“You're a boomer?!?” Priss questioned as she stared at her captured hand.
 
“Let go, you bitch! Owww!” Priss screamed in protest at the ill treatment her hand was receiving. The pressure on her hand increased, which drove Priss to her knees and tears forming in her eyes.
 
“Hey, that's enough! Let her go right now, or I'm running you all in!” a male voice yelled with authority. Priss looked up to see Leon McNichol, her ADP admirer gripping the boomer's wrist.
 
“That's enough.” Mason ordered, his voice devoid of any emotion. The boomer immediately released its hold on Priss' throbbing hand, giving the singer a small look of disappointment.
 
“We here at GENOM do not take kindly to unfounded accusations. We are a respectable and honorable corporation, as I am sure you are aware.” Mason continued. Looking at Priss and Leon with lifeless eyes, Mason turned on his heel and reentered the tower, his bodyguards trailing behind.
 
“Who was that, Leon?” Priss asked.
 
“That was Brian J. Mason, the Chairman's personal aide. A real snake.” The ADP inspector replied.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Mason stood in front of his window, not paying attention to the storm clouds building on the horizon. The foreboding storm was none of his concern, for more pressing matters furrowed his brow at that moment. He did not even acknowledge the presence of the other man in the room, Andersen, his adjunct. The young woman who had created the scene this morning on the south entrance steps was a loose end that needed to be tied off. Now.
 
“Andersen?” Mason asked.
 
“Yes, sir?”
 
“I want the young woman from this morning's `incident' silenced permanently. Understood?” Mason commanded in a voice devoid of any emotion. “How is our investigation into the Project Next Step that Madigan is spending so much time on going?”
 
“We have hired a gentleman to keep us updated as to her activities, sir. He comes with sterling credentials and is quite resourceful I am told.” Andersen answered his superior.
 
“That is adequate for now, Andersen. I expect a status report shortly.” Mason said in a dead voice.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ ______
 
 
End Ties That Bind Part 1