Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Ultimate Bubblegum Crisis ❯ Ties That Bind - Part 5 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ultimate Bubblegum Crisis - Ties That Bind Part 5
 
MegaTokyo, 2032
 
The reinforced concrete of the factory's floor vibrated as the monstrous red form of the Super Boomer stepped from the shadows. Arrayed around the crimson horror were the Knight Sabers, each poised to attack this new entrant onto the battlefield.
 
“Sylia! The satellite weapons are targeting the factory! That red boomer is doing the targeting!” Mackie's agitated voice erupted across the closed circuit communication link the Knight Sabers shared.
 
“Relax, Mackie, and just try to disrupt the signal as best you can. Nene, see what you can do to help from in here. Priss, Linna, let's move in!” Sylia said in a cool monotone, all the while targeting the Super Boomer with her arm cannon. Three shots spat from the cannon, each of the projectiles striking the boomer's chest armor dead center before the supersonic retort could finish reverberating through the factory complex.
 
Three one-inch dents grouped on the chest armor were the only sign that the shots had made contact and seemed only to enrage the robotic monster even more. With a roar it opened its mouth, exposing the plasma cannon hidden inside. A white-hot stream of liquid light spewed forth scattering the assembled Knight Sabers.
 
“Sylia, we've managed to block it's targeting, but it won't last long!” Mackie said over the speakers within the Sabers helmets.
 
“Good enough, Mackie! Alright, Knight Sabers, let's finish this! Linna, use the knuckle bomber!” Sylia commanded.
 
“On it!” Linna replied as she cart wheeled herself close to the boomer, whose sensors struggled to keep up with the Knight Sabers as they danced around to avoid the deadly plasma streams it was spitting at them. The olive armored Saber vaulted into the air landing with her legs scissored around the prototype boomer's neck. With practiced ease, Linna engaged the knuckle bomber attached to her right fist and slammed it into the skull of the Super Boomer. The boomer's skull exploded like an overripe melon as the shaped charges that make up the knuckle bomber made contact with the armor plating, but the boomer did not go down.
 
“Sylia! The satellites are firing wildly! The command to fire got through, but without a target! You guys have to get out of there!” Mackie yelled into his microphone as he watched the discharge of the satellite weapon descend from the heavens through the front window of the Knight Sabers armored mobile command center.
 
“Understood! Everyone out!” Sylia commanded as the liquid fire from the satellite began to move through the factory erratically.
 
“It's not done yet! Linna, move your ass!” Priss screamed as she leveled the rail gun contained within her right arm at the headless, scarlet boomer. Linna leapt from the shoulders of the damaged boomer as two rail gun spikes pierced the boomer's chest. With a loud clang the husk of the Super Boomer fell to the concrete like a puppet with its strings cut, all the while the blast from the satellite burning its way through the complex.
 
“Now, let's get the Hell out of here!” Priss yelled as they all beat a hasty retreat.
 
Inside of the white Hard Suit, Sylia frowned as she tried to control the anger welling up inside. < This has to stop, Priss. > She thought as the Knight Sabers exited the quickly deteriorating industrial complex.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Blackness. The entire world was a sea of darkness.
 
Movement. Chris could feel the telltale signs of movement as he swam through the darkness.
 
With formidable effort, Chris opened his eyes as his senses began to return to him and he regretted it immediately. The lighting within the compartment he was in pierced his eyes like white-hot pokers, forcing him to quickly close his eyes in response and groan in pain.
 
“So the rabbit decides to wake up. I really don't know why the boss said you were dangerous. You went and laid down just like a good little boy. Heh.” A voice said from somewhere to Chris' right.
 
Carefully, Chris opened his eyes a sliver, allowing them to adjust to the ambient lighting. He could feel that he was strapped down securely, but he was still able to move his head from side-to-side. As he turned to his right, Chris made eye contact with the owner of the voice that had just spoken to him. It was man in his early forties with a muscular build dressed in black military fatigues, the name `Maverick' stitched in gray above his left pocket. His eyes were such a pale shade of blue that they were almost white, a malicious gleam twinkling in their depths.
 
“Keep still, boy, or you'll regret it.” Maverick said, a smirk creasing his weathered face.
 
Chris reached out with his mind to grip his captor with his TK when the world exploded as a searing pain ripped through his brain. Tears formed at the edge of his vision as he stared at his captor, who was openly laughing at the young mutant's pain.
 
“Bastard.” Chris croaked out. Lights were dancing at the edges of his vision as his stare bore a hole in Maverick.
 
“Nah, the parents were married when I was born. Hurts like a bitch, doesn't it? You've got a special cocktail of Psi-Inhibitors floating through your bloodstream right now, so every time you try to use your abilities it will be excruciatingly painful. I did warn you.” Maverick replied, smiling at Chris' pain.
 
“Bite me, asshole.” Chris spat.
 
Maverick's face changed from one full of mirth and happiness to one of unbridled rage. “I think the little X Man needs to learn respect and shut his mouth!” Maverick yelled as he rose from the bench he was seated on and crossed the distance between the two of them.
 
The sight of Maverick's large gloved fist descending towards his face was the last thing that Chris viewed before his world went dark.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ ______
 
 
 
“Damn the Knight Sabers!” Mason swore as he pulled onto one of the barren highways that split the industrial center of Mega Tokyo.
 
The imposing mass of the GENOM tower loomed on the horizon, a man made mountain of technology symbolizing the dominance of the corporation across the world. Mason was considering what he would tell Chairman Quincy about the latest setback that had just occurred when the electronic tones of the car phone cut through his preoccupation. Glancing down, Mason depressed the hands-free button on the console to answer the incoming call.
 
“This is Mason.”
 
“Andersen, here sir. I have some good news to report, Mr. Mason. Maverick has acquired Phoenix this evening and is in transit to the research facility.” Mason's personal assistant reported.
 
“Very good, Andersen. This will balance the scales a bit. Also, have a courier loyal to us ready to deliver a package to my facility.” Mason ordered his subordinate.
 
“He will meet you when you pull in to the Tower, sir.” Andersen replied.
 
“Good. That will be all, Andersen.” Mason said as he closed the call before Andersen could comment.
 
< With the mutant I will be able to placate old man Quincy, and let me slip the Black Box into my private facility without much fuss. Yes, things are starting to look up. > Mason thought, a feral grin splitting his face.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
A large section of the Yamaha Industrial Complex was burned as the Knight Sabers looked on. Silence hung amongst them as the results of the night's foray lit the sky in this section of MegaTokyo.
 
“Do you think the box survived?” Nene asked.
 
“I would say the chances are almost non-existent, Nene.” Sylia replied.
 
“It's better this way.” Linna remarked.
 
“What do you mean, Linna? We just lost twenty million for this job! Twenty million, Linna!” the little red head responded with some heat.
 
Before she could answer, Shadowcat phased through the wall of the carrier and approached the assembled Knight Sabers. “Excuse me, but I have some news for all of you. Chris has not responded to any of our communications channels and the tracking device all X Men wear has been deactivated. He was on his way to our present location, and then he disappeared into thin air. I just got off the phone with Logan, and he agrees with me that this is not at all like Chris. I really need to get back, so we can start the search.”
 
Kitty's words went through the Knight Sabers, sobering them immediately. Sylia broke from the initial shock first. “Kitty, call Wolverine and let him know we will help in any way possible. Perhaps we should all meet at Raven's is an hour?”
 
“Thank you, Sylia. I'll call him right now.” Kitty responded in a very business-like tone. She turned on her heel and walked away as she raised her cell phone to her ear.
 
Inside her helmet, Priss struggled to force the lump forming in her throat down. < You better be okay, hero. I'm not ready to lose you yet. >
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Large basalt doors slid open soundlessly as Mason approached the chairman of GENOM's office. Chairman Quincy was not the type of person you wanted to interrupt without reason, but Mason believed the news he had would outweigh any potential chastisement the intrusion could cause. Averting his gaze as he approached the enormous desk the Quincy was seated behind in an attempt to show proper deference to the man some called the most powerful in the world.
 
“Mason. What brings you here, unannounced?” Quincy asked his subordinate, a hint of displeasure lacing his words.
 
Mason gathered himself for a moment before he responded. “Chairman, I have news of the utmost importance and felt it was too significant to wait.” Mason said, all the while his eyes glued on the pattern running through the granite the floor was made of.
 
“Hmm. I believe I will be the judge of that, Mason. Report.”
 
“Yes sir. Earlier this evening we received a setback in the development of the super boomer. The Knight Sabers assaulted our facility and the prototype was lost.” Mason began.
 
“I already know this Mason, our PR department has already informed the media what the official story will be. Please tell me this is not the reason for your interruption.” Quincy replied.
 
“No sir. I believed I should inform you of setback first, then tell you of the coup that an agent of mine has been able to pull off.” Mason paused for a moment glancing at the Chairman for his approval to continue. “Earlier this evening we acquired the young X Man known as Phoenix. I believe that his unique genetic structure will be invaluable to Project Next Step. He has been moved to the research facility at this time.” Mason bowed as he finished saying this, his untamed smile only being allowed when the Chairman could not see it.
 
“This is good news, Mason. The acquisition more than makes up for the loss of the prototype that happened right under your nose.” Quincy said as the last statement struck home. He searched Mason's features to see if they would betray any of his emotions, but could not find even a trace of anything in the executive's demeanor.
 
< You're good at the corporate game, Mason; I'll give you that. > Quincy thought before he continued. “With this, and if you can manage to secure the section of Mega Tokyo from the authorities where the new development is to stand, all will be forgiven. That will be all, Mason.”
 
“Yes, Chairman. Good night.” Mason replied. He bowed once again and left Quincy's office.
 
“Did you hear the conversation?” Quincy spoke after he was sure Mason was well away.
 
“Yes, milord. This is a very fortunate turn of events for the program.” Madigan responded as she stepped from a small hidden alcove in the back of the office.
 
“I believe you should send one of your hounds to retrieve the Summers boy before Mason can do any permanent damage. Not right away though; let Mason think he has regained my good graces first before you pull the rug out from underneath him. I like keeping him off balance; it improves his effectiveness as a pawn in the game we play.”
 
“Consider it done, Lord.” Madigan answered as she melted back into the shadows.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
“What do you mean Cerebro can't locate him?!? His patterns have been programmed into the damn thing since birth for Christ's sakes!” Jubilee yelled, her shrill voice drowning out the sounds of Mega Tokyo at night.
 
Arrayed around Raven's garage sat the assembled teams of X Men and Knight Sabers alike. Jubilee was on the verge of going ballistic and from the look on her face, so was the young woman Chris had become so quickly attached to, Priss. < God, I've got to get this under control. Thanks again, Charley for leaving me in charge. > Logan thought to himself.
 
“I know that Jubilation, but he still ain't showin' up. Look, for someone to take Chris out this clean and quiet like, it has to be a pro we're up against. He was hunting the boy and knew just how to take him down. This is not a random mutant abduction we're talking about here. I still have some contacts around here that I can persuade to give me some information, so don't give up hope.” Logan responded.
 
“If I may?” Sylia spoke up.
 
“Of course.” Logan replied.
 
“In all probability, GENOM is involved in this abduction. The mutant abductions and their possible ties to GENOM are the reason that the X Men came to Mega Tokyo in the first place, correct?” Sylia questioned, coolly running her gaze over the assembled heroes. Seeing that all understood, Sylia continued, “Add to that the information that Shadowcat, Nene, and Mackie were able to acquire about this Project Next Step and the gun appears to be smoking.”
 
“Makes sense to me. Kitty, I want you to check the `Net and see if you can stumble on anything like last time. Jubes, Mariko, I need you guys to check out the section of Tinsel City where Chris vanished and see if any locals witnessed anything.” Logan said.
 
“Logan, that's searching for a needle in a fucking haystack!” Jubilee complained. Frustration finally boiled over and she quickly left the garage to hide the tears forming in her eyes.
 
“I'm already on it, Logan.” Mariko said as she shared a look with the field leader of the X Men, and rose to follow the distraught young mutant.
 
“Thanks.” Logan relied with a strained smile.
 
“Logan, what can I do to help find Chris?” Priss asked. The usually rough and ready to fight biker chick was fighting to control her emotions, but Logan could smell the anxiety and concern pouring from the young woman.
 
< She's trying to keep herself from breaking down. > Logan thought to himself.
 
“Excuse me Logan, but I believe that Priss could help you in locating some of the more colorful parts of Mega Tokyo.” Sylia offered, obviously sensing Priss' unease herself. “And I will have Mackie assist Kitty with the search of the Internet, while Nene can check the ADP files for likely suspects. I will get in touch with my sources and see if they can come up with anything and Linna can join the ladies on the streets as soon as she has Ms. Chang on the next flight out of Japan.”
 
“If everyone agrees, then I don't have a problem. Priss, why don't you get a couple hours of sleep and we'll start at four.” Logan said. The brunette singer just nodded and went into the back, presumably to get the advised rest.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Chris awoke slowly, his vision blurry as he strained to open his eyes. Above, Chris could see a fluorescent light fixture glaring down at him. Carefully, he attempted to sit up and immediately regretted it. He felt light headed and the ceiling swam around his vision as he was forcibly stopped by the restraints he had not noticed before.
 
< I have to get out of here. > Chris thought as he tried to grasp the restraints with his telekinesis. Nothing. He couldn't even feel the straps holding him in place. < Oh God. They must have some kind of nullifier in here. >
 
“Well, well. It seems that our little mutant friend has decided to wake up.” A modulated voice said from above Chris. “Now, you are going to answer some questions for us about the X Men.”
 
“Go to Hell.” Chris croaked from his dry throat.
 
“That was not very polite, so I assume I will be forced to be impolite as well.” The voice replied.
 
The table that Chris was strapped to began to tilt up, bringing him to a semblance of a standing position, only his restraints keeping him from tumbling to the floor. With a pneumatic hiss, his arms began to lift from his sides, extended out so that Chris appeared to be crucified. From somewhere behind him, Chris could hear a door open. A person in a biohazard clean suit stepped into his field of view and moved directly towards him. The attendant ripped away the hospital gown that Chris was clothed in, then proceeded to place electrode pads on various parts of his naked body. After this task was completed, the individual wordlessly left the room, as Chris could hear the door open and close once again behind him.
 
“Let us begin. What is your name?” the voice asked.
 
“Why ask? You already know.”
 
“Answer or receive punishment.” The voice replied.
 
“Phoenix.”
 
“No. I want your real name. Now.”
 
“No.”
 
Pain exploded in Chris' brain as pain receptors from all across his body began to fire at once.
 
“What is your name?”
 
“Fuck you.” Chris replied, spitting blood from his mouth where he had bitten his own lip.
 
The lances of pain returned tenfold and the screaming began.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Priss leaned against the bar sipping a beer as the moans of pain resonated throughout the tavern. All around her were strewn the unconscious and barely conscious forms of the local yakuza. Across the room stood Wolverine, his claws popped and gleaming red with use. He had a short Japanese man pinned against the wall, the claws on his left hand poised centimeters below the man's crotch.
 
“Alright, Touji, give me some bloody answers or I start the sex change operation right now.” Wolverine growled.
 
“I don't know what you mean, Wolverine-san.” Touji replied, his voice a couple of octaves higher.
 
“Bullshit!” Wolverine snarled. With a savage quickness his right hand shot up from his side, the claws flashing as he slashed across his captives vision, just nicking the tip of his nose.
 
Touji, completely terrified of the feral mutant, lost control and began to blubber like a baby. A few minutes later and Wolverine had the information he wanted and walked over to the bar Priss was leaning against.
 
“C'mon, I got a lead.”
 
Nodding, Priss followed Wolverine from the bar to the alley where their bikes were stashed. “What's the lead, Logan?” Priss asked as she tried to stifle a yawn.
 
Logan looked at the young singer and realized she was near to passing out due to exhaustion. They had been `investigating' Chris' disappearance since four o'clock in the morning and it was now almost nine at night. “One that I have to handle on my own, Priss.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because you're exhausted AND you would give me away even if you were fully awake. The guy who nabbed Chris was a contracted pro and I have a better chance of catching the bastard napping if I go this alone.” Logan responded.
 
“God damn it, Logan, I want to help find Chris!” Priss complained, tears of frustration welling up in her eyes.
 
“And you have darlin'. You are exhausted and have not had my training, Priss. The argument's over. Go home and get some sleep. I promise I'll call as soon as I know something, okay?” Logan said.
 
~Sigh~ “I'm going Logan, but you better call if you find anything. If you don't I may take it out on your hide.” Priss threatened as she mounted her sleek motorcycle.
 
“I promise.”
 
Logan watched the red motorcycle disappear around the corner. He turned to his bike and climbed on, the engine rumbling as he hit the ignition.
 
“Maverick, I'm coming for you bub.”
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
End of Ties That Bind Part 5