Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Ultimate Bubblegum Crisis ❯ Ties That Bind - Part 6 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ultimate Bubblegum Crisis - Ties That Bind Part 6
 
 
MegaTokyo, 2032
 
 
 
“So this is the X Man called Phoenix, Dr. Keele?” Mason inquired as he looked down on the examination room where a team of medical personnel drew blood and tissue samples from the unconscious form laid out on the examination table. The young man was naked, and Mason could see the telltale signs of the `interview' he had been a part of. At various places on the prone form were cuts, bruises, and burn marks, though none appeared to be life threatening. Beside Mason an old man with thin white hair stood gazing down on the heavily sedated mutant, his white lab coat almost bursting at the seams as it stretched across his girth.
 
“Yes, Mr. Mason. From our preliminary tests we have determined he is least a beta level mutant, possibly even an alpha. He did not crack as we hoped when we debriefed him, however. Very strong willed for someone so young.”
 
“Have you sent the data to the appropriate people in Project: Next Step?”
 
“All data that you authorized to be released, has been sent to Madigan's team, sir.” Keele responded.
 
“Good, the bitch will not be able to say we are not sharing information. Are we going to be able to contain him if he is used as a test subject with the new hybrid boomers you are developing? If he is an alpha, that could pose problems.”
 
“I do not believe it will be a problem, sir. The perimeter nullifiers are installed and are fully operational. In any case, the new hybrids will keep our guest from leaving, of that I am certain.” Keele said.
 
“See that he doesn't, doctor. Andersen will be overseeing the testing this afternoon. Make sure that the subject is prepared.” Mason stated as he turned and began to walk towards the exit.
 
“Yes sir, all will be ready for the appointed time.” Keele replied, a trickle of sweat running down the side of his face even though the air conditioner kept the room temperature at a constant 65 degrees.
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
 
The streets of MegaTokyo were a blur as the red racing bike weaved through the minor traffic on the beltway, the rider ignoring the angry hand gestures of her fellow motorists. Priss' mind was elsewhere, concentrating on the road left to her subconscious and her instincts. Her emotions were running wild as she worried for the young man she had known for such a short time, Chris Summers, a man who made her feel something she had not known since her days in the biker gang. Love. When she was a part of the gang, she had fallen in love with the gang's leader and thought that love would never come her way again after he was murdered.
 
Now the mutant hero, Phoenix, in a blaze of glory had come into her life and without any effort worked his way into her heart. And just as quickly he had been taken from her. The injustice of it made her angry and the fear she felt for his well-being tied her stomach into knots.
 
And now, after an entire day looking for leads with Logan, the leader of this group of X Men, she was heading home to rest after he told her she could get in the way where he was going because she was exhausted. It pissed her off, but she knew he was right.
 
With practiced ease, Priss pulled her bike into the small storage area attached to her trailer and turned the powerful engine off. Shaking her hair out as she removed her helmet, Priss noticed that something did not feel right. Nonchalantly, she pulled the components for her modular Member-II handgun and began to assemble them.
 
“You won't be needing the gun, Miss Asagiri.” A gravelly male voice said from behind her.
 
Priss rolled off her bike, snapping the magazine of her pistol into place just before leveling it in the direction of the speaker. “I'll be the judge of that!” Priss yelled. She could see the faint outline of a man standing in the shadows, the cherry of a cigarette providing the only illumination as he took a long, slow drag.
 
“I'm actually here to ask you to help me recover something we both care about.” The man stated as he emerged from the shadows, his hands rose to show he meant no harm. In the light, Priss could see he was a man in his late forties, but obviously in very good shape. His blonde hair had gray at the temples, but his ice blue eyes held an intensity she had never seen before.
 
“Help you? I don't even know you. How do you know my name?” Priss replied with heat, both physical and mental exhaustion shortening her already infamous temper.
 
“My name is Alex Summers. I believe you know my nephew, Christopher.” He replied smoothly, all the while keeping his hands where she could see them.
 
“Maybe. Are you an X Man too?” Priss questioned.
 
“No, I am not an X Man. As to how I know your name, Wolverine is not the only mutant in MegaTokyo with sources of information. I know that you and my nephew are friends, so I am coming to you for help in freeing him.” Alex responded, his eyes reading her face for a reaction.
 
“You know where Chris is? Then why don't you call the X Men? They would help you get him back.”
 
“The X Men and I do not see eye to eye on many things, especially me and Wolverine. We had a disagreement over a woman a number of years ago and he has never forgiven me for taking her from him. I do not have time to discuss this further. Christopher is in danger and I am going to get him out of it tonight, with or without you. It would just be easier with you.” Alex stated.
 
Priss' concern for Chris warred with her natural distrust for strangers as she struggled to make a decision. Alex could see the emotion play across her pretty face, inwardly enjoying the pressure he applying to the young singer.
 
“Let's go.” Was all that Priss said as she climbed back onto her motorcycle and began to back it out of its storage area. < But, I'm not going to be the only one going with you either, Mr. Alex Summers. The Knight Sabers will be there to back me up. > Priss thought as she keyed the distress beacon built into her motorcycle console.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
A grunt escaped Chris as he slowly regained consciousness; his body protesting as he began to sit up and take in his surroundings. He was seated on a cold concrete floor of a large building that appeared to be an industrial site or warehouse of some kind, wearing a black body suit that appeared to have some electronics sewn into the fabric. < How the Hell did I get here and what am I wearing? Last thing I remember was being interrogated. Being helpless… >
 
At the thought of his rough treatment, Chris instinctively called upon his powers, hoping that the psi-inhibitting drugs he had been given were not still in his system. With a sigh of relief, Chris could feel around himself with his telekinesis. Assisted by a gentle push of his TK, Chris forced his aching body up off the floor and began to make his way towards one end of the warehouse where he could see an exit sign flickering in the shadows. < Time to get out of here. >
 
“Going somewhere, Phoenix?” A voice asked over the warehouse's PA system. “We have some potential friends we would like you to meet.”
 
The pneumatic hiss of hydraulics filled the air as the floor opened up twenty feet in front of Chris. Super cooled air rolled from the opening, blanketing the concrete floor in a fine mist as four humanoid shapes rose from the opening, their features obscured by tendrils of the unnatural fog.
 
Time seemed to stand still as the vapor fell from the figures, the features of his `potential friends' finally becoming visible. They were combat boomers, but with features that caused Chris' stomach to turn in knots. Each standing ten feet tall, they had high brows ringed with a vast array of sensors, and the beady yellow eyes all mutants feared.
 
Target identified. Mutant designate: Phoenix. Begin termination sequence.”
 
“Sentinels.” Came out as a whisper as Chris enveloped himself in his Phoenix effect.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
“Doctor, the subject has reached the upper limit of beta level and is now moving into the Alpha range, sir.” A technician reported from his monitoring station.
 
“Good. Good. Keep recording the data.” Doctor Keele replied. “We will be able to give these new boomers a good field test, eh, Mr. Andersen?”
 
“We shall see, doctor.” Andersen responded coolly as he looked through observation window upon the battle about to unfold.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
“Mutant designate: Phoenix approaching alpha level. Threat level, low.” One of the Sentinel\boomers stated as it moved towards Chris.
 
Chris rose from the floor, trying to put some space between him and the murderous boomer hybrids, his psionic fire wings flaring in response. < I have to finish this quick. I will not be taken again! > Chris thought desperately.
 
His right arm stabbed forward, sending a fiery claw at the nearest boomer's head. The attack struck true, the boomer's head engulfed in the blazing talons, as it was removed from its body. Sparks form severed electronics and orange boomer blood erupted from where the head had recently been attached, creating a noxious stench as it spilled onto the warehouse floor.
 
“Unit 02 is dysfunctional due to telekinetic assault. Proceed with termination of mutant designate: Phoenix. Increasing threat level to moderate. Enact psionic suppression protocols.”
 
One of the boomers, with a large 03 marked on it left chest plate, opened its' mouth revealing the cannon hidden there. But instead of the blast of white-hot energy that usually came from the mouth cannon, wave after wave of ultra sonic white noise spewed forth and slammed into the flaming telekinetic shield protecting Chris. The high frequency sound waves cut through the shield like it was not there, taking the embattled X Man square in the chest.
 
Chris' hands shot to his ears, as he tried vainly to stop the sonic attack, the high-pitched vibrations striking the sensitive inner ear and tearing through the whisper thin membrane of his eardrums. The ultra-sonics were effective, as they broke his concentration, and Chris plummeted to the hard concrete floor of the abandoned warehouse, his Phoenix effect dispelled. Air rushed from his lungs as he made contact, joined by a sickening snap as a couple of his ribs were fractured by the sudden stop. Spots swam at the edge of his vision as Chris struggled to stay awake, knowing that if he fell into the blackness of unconsciousness, he would probably be dead in seconds.
 
“Mutant designate: Phoenix is pacified. Proceeding with extermination.”
 
“No…” came from Chris' lips, as blood ran freely from his nose and ears, dripping onto the cool concrete. “I am not pacified, I will LIVE! The fiery aura of his Phoenix effect roared to life, and the battered mutant rose from the floor, his eyes glowing with hellish fire.
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
Westchester, NY - Xavier's Institute for Gifted Youngsters
 
 
A wave of pure psionic energy washed over Professor Xavier as he read the proposal he was going to make on Capital Hill regarding mutants and their rights. His head jerked back immediately, his eyes staring into nothingness.
 
“Charles, what is it?” Dr. Henry McCoy, the Beast, asked with some concern at his mentor's sudden reaction.
 
“Christopher…he has pushed past the mental blocks I placed on his abilities when he was boy, Henry. He just projected all of his fear, pain, and rage across the astral plane.” The Professor answered.
 
“Oh, God.” McCoy responded as the implications of Xavier's statement sank in. “Is he hurt, Charles?”
 
“Nothing permanent from what I am getting, but I need to get to MegaTokyo as soon as possible, Henry. He is in a very dangerous stage of his development. You will have to handle the Congressional hearing without me. Have someone prepare the Blackbird.” Xavier ordered.
 
“On my way, Charles.” McCoy replied as he bounded out of the Professor's office.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
I will live, and you will BURN!” Chris shouted at the sentinel/boomers, his voice hollow and deep, almost inhuman. The flaming claws of his psionic Phoenix erupted from the firebird's main body, engulfing the closest two of the mechanical mutant hunters in fiery talons. Armored hides immediately began to bubble from the intense heat being generated by the scorching grip, sparks and orange blood flying from their joints as the claws began to contract.
 
Power rippled through Chris' body as he decimated two of the hybrid boomers, his injuries forgotten. Fury boiled inside him as he tossed aside the carcasses of the ruined sentinel/boomers and turned his gaze towards the last boomer standing. The final boomer was sending round after round of high velocity ammunition towards the hovering mutant before it; all melting upon impact with the shields that Chris had wrapped himself in.
 
“Mutant designate: Phoenix threat level raised to high. This unit's internal circuits beginning to fuse due to intense heat target mutant is generating. Initiating final solution protocols to ensure mutant extermination. Self destruct of internal atomic device in 5…4…3…”
 
“No, you will not!” Chris yelled as he enveloped the boomer in a telekinetic sheath just before the atomic core of the boomer went critical. The sheath channeled the energy of the boomer's `final solution' into the concrete foundation of the warehouse, the focused force causing a shockwave to roll through the floor like a tidal wave.
 
For what seemed an eternity, but was actually seconds, the entire structure shook. Some of the pylons supporting the roof, twisted under the increased strain, causing large sections of the covering to collapse. One such section, about 500 feet across, fell upon the flaming form of Phoenix, burying the mutant under a several tons of debris.
 
Silence filled the warehouse as the dust began to settle from the battle, only small wisps of smoke rising from the smoldering remains of the boomer/sentinels rising through the rubble providing movement. The world seemed to hold its breath for a moment, then exhale as the collapsed roof was suddenly flung from its resting place, various pieces flying in every direction as Chris freed himself from the steel and concrete tomb.
 
“I will be free!” Echoed through the cavernous expanse of the ruined building, the young mutant's Phoenix effect growing to unbelievable proportions, the psionic firebird rising into the MegaTokyo night through the gaping hole in the ceiling.
 
Just as suddenly as it had burst free of cage, the Phoenix effect disappeared, leaving Chris struggling to stand amongst the destruction he had wreaked. The black body suit he had been wearing hung in tatters, the sensors sewn into the fabric in ruins. Blood was dried and cracking across his face from the ill treatment he had received and there was a constant ringing in his ears. Chris leaned against a large chunk of concrete and slid to a seated position, his legs unable to hold him upright any longer.
 
“Guess you can tell that an X Man's been here, with all the property damage.” Chris said to the wreckage around him, his voice back to normal, a pain filled grin on his face. Every part of his body ached, and his vision began to blur as he shifted to find a more comfortable position.
 
“Aw, hell…” The exhausted young man stated as he slipped into the cool embrace of unconsciousness.
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
“Sis! Sis, we've got a problem!” An excited Mackie yelled as he ran into Sylia's room without knocking. He stopped short as he spotted her sitting on her bed, watching the evening news.
 
Sylia was in only a towel, having just come from the shower, and immediately knew something was wrong when her younger brother didn't take the opportunity to ogle her current undressed state. “Calm down, Mackie. What is it?”
 
“We just received an alert signal from Priss' motoroid!” her brother responded.
 
“From Priss? That's not like her at all. Where is the signal coming from, Mackie?” Sylia asked in a calming tone.
 
“The signal been on the move and is now somewhere in the abandoned industrial complexes near Paradise Loop. We'll have to be closer to get an exact location, though.” Mackie replied.
 
“Understood. Mackie, call Linna and Nene and tell them we will pick them up in route, then prepare the mobile command center to be ready to leave.”
 
“Right! I'm on it, sis.” Mackie replied as he turned and headed towards the door.
 
< Hang on Priss; we're on our way. > Sylia thought as she hastily pulled on some clothes.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
“Holy Shit!” Priss exclaimed as she saw the fiery form of Chris' Phoenix effect scream into the night sky from the roof of a warehouse about two hundred meters ahead. Her companion, Alex Summers, also known as Havok, looked on, his face an impassive mask.
 
“Looks like my sources were correct, Miss Asagiri. Christopher must be just ahead.”
 
Priss just glanced at the older mutant, not wanting to betray anything to the man. < If it wasn't for Chris being kidnapped I wouldn't be anywhere near you, asshole. I trust you about as far as I can throw you. Hurry up, Sylia. >
 
The unlikely duo made their way towards the source of the night's pyrotechnics, a large building that by outward appearance is a run down warehouse complex. Havok's sources had informed him that Chris was being held here as a test subject for some group interested in mutant control.
 
Havok let out a small plasma blast, melting a gate from its' hinges, to allow the pair to get past the fence surrounding the complex. Priss followed the man who called himself Christopher's uncle across the docking bays where tractor trailers at one time used to unload and take on their cargoes, noticing the man move like a professional, always keeping cover close at hand and out of the line of potential observation when possible. They reached a side entrance, Havok leading the way inside.
 
The door opened into the large open space where the goods being held for shipment would be stored. Half of the roof appeared to have collapsed, spreading debris across the floor, and sparks rained down in dazzling spurts from where live power lines had been abruptly cut in various places around the gaping hole in the ceiling.
 
“It looks like a war zone in here.” Havok stated as he began to pick his way through the wreckage.
 
Priss didn't answer the man, instead concentrating on her own navigation of the rubble, warily keeping her pistol at the ready. < Where the hell are you, hero? >
 
< Priss…is that you? > A voice that sounded like Chris' spoke inside her brain.
 
“Chris? Chris, where are you?” Priss responded vocally. Havok looked over at her with a questioning look on his face.
 
< I'm in the middle of this mess, Priss. I-I can't explain it, but I'm speaking to you telepathically. I'm hurt pretty bad, Priss. > Chris sent to Priss.
 
< I'm on my way. > Priss thought back as she began to hurry toward the center of the warehouse, all caution forgotten. She clambered over the ruined chunks of steel and concrete, ignoring Havok who followed silently behind. As she reached the summit of a large piece of the fallen roof, her heart caught in her throat.
 
Before her was the unmoving form of the man she was searching for, his body battered and burnt, dried blood cracked and crusty covering his face as he was propped against another part of the destroyed roof about twenty feet away. < Oh my God, Chris what did they do to you? > His head lifted as she thought this, his eyes finding hers immediately. Priss stared into his green eyes, surprised to see them so clear and cognizant.
 
< I was their fucking test subject. > He replied to her telepathically, his bitterness and anger easily felt through the connection.
 
Priss jumped from her perch and ran over to the fallen mutant's side. Gently, she reached up and pushed away some of his hair from the front of his face, noticing idly through her tears that he now had a streak of white in his otherwise brown hair.
 
“I'm just glad you're alive right now, hero. We'll get the bastards who did this, I promise.” Priss said. Chris' right hand came up from his side and he stroked Priss' cheek softly.
 
“Hate to break up such a tender moment, but we aren't alone.” Havok said from atop the same location Priss had just been perched on. His chest began to glow with a white light, waves of heat coursing from his body as the energy continued to build, glowing like a miniature star as he scanned the interior of the decimated storage facility. Then Havok's gaze stopped, as he seemed to find what he was looking for just to the left of their position, a malevolent grin splitting his hard face. With the simple action of pointing his fist at a target, which the two young people could not see due to their location, an unbelievably huge blast of plasma streaked across the intervening distance in an instant.
 
“Now, we're alone.” Havok stated as a series of explosions echoed in the background.
 
“Who are you?” Chris croaked, his throat unbelievably dry as he looked up at the mutant from his prone position.
 
“Why, Christopher Nathan Summers, you don't recognize your own Uncle?”
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Moments ago in the Control Room of the Sentinel Project…
 
“Sir, the situation is deteriorating rapidly. The mutant has just spiked all of the readouts and demolished the testing grounds. The prototypes have been destroyed as well.” Andersen reported into the man on the vid-phone, Brian J. Mason. Behind Andersen, the scene was chaos, techs trying to regain some modicum of control of the situation.
 
“I witnessed the display from the Tower, Andersen. Transmit the collected data to another of our laboratories and evacuate before the ADP arrives. Make sure no evidence is left behind.” Mason replied, his hands folded in front of his mouth.
 
“We are in the process of doing that now, sir. The download should commence…” The rest of the transmission was cut off, filling Mason's view screen with static.
 
“Damn it!” Mason exclaimed as pounded the keyboard attached to the vid-phone, sending the keys in flying in different directions as they came loose from the abuse.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
 
“Uncle? I don't have an uncle.” Chris said to the man standing atop the pile of debris.
 
“Oh yes you do, Christopher, or would you prefer Phoenix? Kind of sappy taking your mother's code name don't you think? Anyway, my name is Alex Summers. Your father, Scott Summers, a.k.a. the X Man, Cyclops, was my younger brother.” Havok replied.
 
“Why didn't my Dad or Mom ever tell me about you?” Chris responded, his tone revealing his disbelief. “Why didn't the Professor or Logan?”
 
“Probably because I have an intense hatred of the X Men, especially your father.” Havok stated, matter-of-factly. With a quick flick of his wrist a small handgun popped into his hand from somewhere up his jacket sleeve.
 
“And now it's time to finish my mission.” Havok said as he squeezed the trigger. With a pneumatic hiss a small dart flew the intervening distance taking Priss in the right shoulder. Her eyes began to immediately glass over and she fell forward onto Chris' legs.
 
“Priss! You son of a bitch, what did you do to her?” Chris screamed as he rolled the brunette Knight Saber onto her back to remove the dart, the effort making his head swim.
 
“Don't worry, Christopher, that was just a tranquilizer. Young Miss Asagiri is too feisty and my people will be here soon to pick the two of you up.” Chris' uncle replied. “This will just make the capture easier. I promise your little girlfriend won't be hurt…yet. My employer has need of the both of you alive and relatively intact.”
 
“No, you will not take us!” Chris' voice boomed. Psionic fire surrounded the injured mutant and in an instant he was back on his feet, maneuvering to keep himself between his newly found uncle and the unconscious Priss. The pain of his injuries forgotten, anger filled the X Man as he faced the man who wanted to return him to captivity.
 
“So you want to take a shot, boy?” Havok said, his eyes deadly calm as he watched his nephew and his own power beginning to build again. “Then bring it!”
 
“Bastard!” Chris roared as a claw shot forth from his fiery aura. The talons closed over Havok as he stared in disbelief.
 
“What? But you aren't supposed to be able to touch me with your abilities! You're a Summers! Your father and I couldn't harm each other with our gifts because of our blood relationship!” Havok screamed as his clothing began to smolder from the flaming claw holding him, his arms pinned in an unbreakable grip.
 
“You will notice that I have my Mother's abilities, Uncle Alex. Didn't you know it is the mother that passes on the mutant gene? How can you hurt your own family? Perhaps I should look?” Chris asked in his power filled voice. The X Man reached forth with his recently developed telepathy, coming into contact with his uncle's mind. There was a small amount of resistance, which Chris swept away like he would swat a gnat, and then he was inside Havok's thoughts.
 
“NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Stay out of my mind!”
 
Chris dove into Havok's mind, sifting through the man's memories like they were sand, his stomach turning from the sheer darkness they contained. Finally, Chris stopped as he saw the face of a woman who had died a decade before, his mother, Jean Grey-Summers. The memory sprang to life from Alex Summers viewpoint, watching as the young woman held back a wall of lava from overtaking her teammates.
 
“Mom…”
 
The scene shifted as she was struck by a blast of plasma from Havok's hands, her concentration destroyed and half her body incinerated as the wall of lava overtook her petite form. With a jolt Chris left his uncle's mind, the wrath burning with a white-hot intensity in his heart, for the first time in his young life feeling true hatred.
 
“No…you murdered her, you son of a bitch! Why? What did she do to deserve dying? Answer me damn you!” Chris roared.
 
“Heh, why boy? Why not? I want everything your father ever loved and cared about destroyed, that's why.” Havok replied as he tried to uncurl from the fetal position that the viciousness of Chris' attack put him in. “He left me to die. So I made sure him and his bitch wife died too. Now I'll find a way to destroy you to, punk.”
 
“That will not happen. My parents will be avenged!” Chris screamed. Fresh blood streamed from his various injuries as all of the hate he now felt boiled to the surface. “You took them from me! I grew up alone because of your delusions! Now I will make you feel the pain of that loss, `Uncle Alex'. You will cease to exist!”
 
Once again, the Phoenix effect swelled around Chris as he rose from the floor and came to rest in front of his now cowering uncle. Chris gripped Havok with his telekinesis, bringing him eye level with his nephew. The furious young mutant grabbed his uncle by the sides of his head and began to burn telepathically into the mind of Havok. Deep inside the mutant mercenary's mind, Chris found the core of his wicked uncle's consciousness, a single black flame in field of white, with floating windows all around representing the memories Alex Summers had accumulated through the years.
 
“Oh God. Oh God. I don't want to die! Please, don't kill me!” Havok whimpered. The man's ice blue eyes seemed ready to explode from their sockets as tears ran down his face. He had the look of a man who knew that his final retribution was at hand, and would be found wanting.
 
“I'm not going to kill you, Uncle Alex, but you may wish I had.” Chris responded, his voice deathly cold. Inside Havok's mind the newborn telepath began to mentally lash out at the windows into the other man's past, shattering them into millions of shards. As each window was devastated another piece of Havok's mind became blank, a clean slate upon which new imprints could be made. Chris increased the intensity of his attack, thousands of the panes of glass breaking in the space of a thought.
 
“Arrrrrgghhh!! Get out of my mind!” Havok sobbed in the physical world, his cries falling on the deaf ears of his nephew.
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ ______
 
 
 
Sylia leapt down from the jagged hole in the roof of the warehouse, her jump jets slowing her descent into a controlled fall. All around her the signs of a tremendous battle could be seen, debris from the collapsed roof scattered across the concrete floor and the smoldering forms of some new type of boomer, stood silent testament to the struggle. She noted with calm detachment that an overlooking control tower had been incinerated as well. < What has Priss gotten herself into this time? >
 
“Sylia! I've got life signs toward the center of the building! One of them is definitely Priss!” Nene exclaimed from within her hardsuit. The youngest Knight Saber was in an over watch position, using her potent scanners to search the building and surrounding area for anything that could pose a threat to the Knight Sabers.
 
“Linna and I are on the move, Nene. Stay sharp.” Sylia responded across the private communications channel the Knight Sabers shared. “Let's go, Linna.”
 
“Right.” The young woman in the olive green hardsuit responded. With the grace of a cat, Linna came to rest on the concrete floor, barely making a sound as she landed.
 
The two Knight Sabers moved through the debris of the ruined warehouse to the place where Nene had detected the life signs. As they crested a large chunk of the roof they both stopped short. On another piece of the fallen ceiling stood Chris, his Phoenix effect blazing, another man's head gripped in his hands. What stopped the two mercenaries was the power that flowed from Chris' voice as it carried across to them. Each word the X Man said carried an underlying pain that Linna and Sylia would swear they could feel.
 
“Oh my God, Sylia. I don't know why, but I KNOW that man killed Chris' parents and he's his uncle.” Linna said.
 
“I don't understand it either, Linna.” The leader of the Knight Sabers replied. She tore her gaze from the unfolding scene and spotted Priss' unconscious form. “There's Priss. Watch my back, Linna.”
 
“I will.” She replied, her attention on the horrific view unfolding before her.
 
Sylia knelt beside Priss, lifting her visor to take a closer look. The singer was just unconscious as far as Sylia could tell, even snoring lightly. “Linna, keep your eye on Chris, I'm going to get Priss out here.”
 
“You two better hurry, ADP is on the way.” Nene's voice chirped on radio before Linna could respond.
 
“How is Priss, Sylia?” Linna asked, ignoring Nene's statement.
 
“She's been tranquilized, but otherwise I think she's fine.” Sylia replied as she fired her wing jets, rising into the MegaTokyo night sky.
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
Chris ignored the cries of the man, and continued his psychic assault on the very fiber of everything that made Alex Summers, Alex Summers. Heartbeats later, all of Havok's memory `windows' lay in shards, the fiery aura surrounding Chris' astral form refracting into millions upon millions of tiny flames. The core `flame' of Alex Summers still burned, but now with a pure blue brilliance. Fiery tendrils ran from Chris' hands in Havok's mindscape, surrounding the center of his uncle's being, slowly solidifying into one memory window. Havok's mind would now and forever see the pain of a little boy left an orphan; never able to create or experience new thoughts until the day he died.
 
“I've taken everything away from you now, just like you did to me. I won't kill you, you son of a bitch, but your mind WILL remember what you have lost.” Chris stated aloud to the once powerful man curled into a fetal position at his feet.
 
“I have avenged you Mom and Dad.” Chris said into the stillness around him. The fury that fueled him began to ebb from him as quickly as it had risen, taking with it the will to remain upright. Like a puppet with his strings cut, Chris collapsed, his legs unable to hold him in a standing position. Exhaustion washed over the young man, so fatigued that he did not even notice the gasp of alarm coming from his unknown observer and the sounds of her footfalls as they rushed to his side.
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ ______
 
 
 
 
“Man, I feel like shit.” Chris stated aloud, his voice no longer rumbling with power, as he looked up into the MegaTokyo sky.
 
“You look like shit too.” A green hard suit said to him as it leaned over his prone form.
 
< Linna. > “Hi, Linna.” Chris responded.
 
“You two really know how to worry people, Chris.” She replied as she knelt beside him and carefully picked him up into her armor-clad arms.
 
“Yeah, I've heard that before. How is Priss?”
 
“Sylia says she was just knocked out. She'll be fine, Chris.”
 
“Thank God. Can we get out of here?” Chris stated, his weary voice caring the relief he felt.
 
“You got it.” Linna replied. “What about that guy?”
 
“Leave him. He doesn't exist anymore.” Chris responded in a bone chilling tone.
 
“Right. Let's go, the ADP is on the way.” Linna said, keeping her questions to herself. As if on queue, the sound of police sirens began to filter into range.
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
 
“So, what've we got, Daley?” Leon asked as his partner approached. All around Leon's squad car ADP officers were moving on various tasks, questioning the few witnesses they could find and tagging evidence.
 
“A warehouse that was supposed to be abandoned was actually a secret laboratory facility for some type of weird boomer technology. Apparently, they were testing some prototypes, we found some parts, and something went wrong. Oh, and there are some eyewitness reports of, and I quote, `A giant bird made of fire', that tore the roof off this place, literally.” The red headed detective replied.
 
“A giant bird of fire? It just gets better and better.” Leon muttered.
 
“That's not all, Leon. Our sweethearts, the Knight Sabers, were seen leaving with two people in their arms.”
 
“Great. Next you're gonna tell me that Genom has already got the Chief pulling us out.” Leon grumbled.
 
“Well, as a matter of fact…”
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
 
 
“Damn, that stings.” Chris complained.
 
Mariko looked at the young man in disbelief. “Christopher, I have patched you up a thousand times, and you still complain when I clean the minor wounds. Your serious injuries will be healed in a couple of days instead of months, but I just don't have the energy to close all of these cuts you have, and they have to be cleaned.”
 
“Sorry, M'ko. You know I appreciate you taking care of me.” Chris said with a blush.
 
“Hmmm.” Was all the response Chris received as Mariko resumed cleaning a particularly nasty gash right at his hairline.
 
“If you're done bitchin', we have some things we need to talk about, kid.” Logan stated as he leaned up against the bar in Sylia's apartment. The owner of the flat herself was seated on the loveseat across from Chris and Mariko, quietly sipping some tea.
 
The Knight Sabers had transported their two friends to Sylia's place since it was closer, calling Logan and Mariko en route so they could meet them there. Mariko had gotten right to work on the two injured young people, using a small trickle of her healing ability at Chris' insistence to purge Priss' system of the tranquilizers that Havok had shot her with. The brunette singer was now snoring lightly at Chris' side on the couch, her head resting easily on his right shoulder. Chris' injuries had been much more serious, more than a few broken or cracked bones and a punctured lug, however, and had taxed Mariko's abilities to the limit. She now had dark circles under her eyes, and her face was drawn from exhaustion as she cleaned the superficial wounds that were scattered across the young X Man's body.
 
Chris knew that she would probably sleep for at least 18 hours to recover from the amount of energy she had to expend in the healing process, and the knowledge made him feel a deep sense of guilt. < I'm sorry, M'ko. More than you know. > Chris sent telepathically.
 
Mariko's gaze left the wound she was cleaning and met his for a moment, softening visibly. < I know, Chris. I'm just tired. >
 
“Are you listening to me?” Logan growled around a mouthful of beer.
 
~Sigh~ “Go ahead, Logan.” Chris responded.
 
“Let's start off with the easy one. What the hell happened?” Logan asked.
 
For the next half an hour, Chris informed those present of his treatment, the questioning, and finally the climatic battle with the sentinel/boomers. All in the room were taken back as Chris described in graphic detail the horrors, but kept his voice to a level, even tone. The pain and anger was evident in his eyes, however, to the point that Mariko took his left hand in hers, trying to lend him some support.
 
Priss stirred about halfway through the telling, and Chris automatically draped his free arm around her protectively, only stopping his story for a moment as he glanced at the slumbering young woman at his side. She settled into his light embrace, a tiny smile of contentment playing at the corners of her mouth.
 
“There came a point when I was fighting the sentinels that I knew I was going to die, then something snapped inside and my abilities amplified to frightening levels. I … I was able to stop the self destruct device blast built into the boomer from reaching me.” Chris stated, his voice for the first time beginning to tremble. His gaze locked with Logan's, and the reluctant leader saw something in the young man's eyes he had never seen before. Fear.
 
“Logan, it was a tact nuke.” Chris said. Sylia, who had been quietly listening, covered her mouth as a gasp escaped. “There's more. I passed out after stopping the nuke, but when I came to, I could hear Priss' thoughts. My supposedly undeveloped telepathy is no longer undeveloped.”
 
“You're definitely just like your momma, kiddo. The professor `heard' you on the other side of the world and should be here in a coupla hours.” Logan replied. “He said something to the effect that anyone with psionic ability heard you. Just rest up, Chris, Charley will help you make sense of this mess.”
 
“It's my turn to ask a question, Logan. Why didn't you ever tell me my uncle murdered my parents? He came for me, to sell me to someone as a fucking lab rat.” Chris asked, fire rising in his belly as he thought of the wicked memories he had witnessed inside of Havok's mind. If Logan was shocked by the bluntness of Chris' question he didn't show it.
 
“For the same reason Charley wants you to go back to Westchester with him. To protect you, Chris. All of us decided that it would only add more pain to a situation that was already bad and until a couple of days ago I thought that I had gutted the bastard myself. None of the X Men would intentionally hurt you, dammit, all of us old timers consider you a son.”
 
“I finished the job, Logan. Mom and Dad have been avenged and my Uncle Alex will never hurt anyone again. I made sure of that. And no matter what the Professor says, I'm not leaving MegaTokyo.” Chris replied as he bit back tears.
 
“Did you kill him, Chris?” Mariko asked, her face white with shock.
 
“No. I destroyed his memories and locked his mind up tight in all the pain I felt at becoming an orphan. He deserved to die, but I couldn't do it.” Chris said.
 
“You should have killed him, Chris. Even Charley can't lock away a person's mind and have it stick. Remember Magneto?” Logan stated, his voice hard.
 
“I think this may be worse for Havok, Logan.” Chris replied.
 
“Enough about that sorry son of a bitch. What makes you think that staying in Tokyo is an option, boy?” Logan questioned.
 
“Because, I'm not the only one that someone wants, dammit! They want Priss too for some reason and I'm not going to run out on her, Logan. Havok said his employer wanted Priss AND Me. She's being targeted because of me and I will not abandon someone I care about!” Chris replied, his voice rising as he finished.
 
 
“Do you honestly think that I would allow someone to hurt her? I spent some time with her while you were missing and I've grown to respect her for her fire and determination. I'd almost swear she were my daughter sometimes. And I know from that time she cares about you too. She's part of the family now as far as I'm concerned and the X Men look after their own.” Logan shot back.
 
“Did you leave Mariko when her family wanted both of you dead? No. And I stood beside you then, against the professor's wishes, and I'm asking the same of you now.” Chris retorted. “And I know the face of the woman who hired Havok to retrieve me. I saw her face in his memories as I imprisoned his mind. It's the same purple haired bitch we met my first night in MegaTokyo.”
 
Logan and Chris locked eyes as the last was said. A part of the man known as Wolverine wanted the boy as far away from this city as he could get him, his gut feeling telling him that things were going to get way nastier before they got better, but deep down he knew the truth. < Dammit, he's right. I can't ask him to do something I wouldn't do myself. >
 
< Thank you, Logan. > Came the telepathic reply.
 
“I'll handle Charley when he gets here, tell him it's the field leader's prerogative, or some other bullshit.” Logan said as he began to walk out of the room. He stopped at the doorway and looked at the people sitting in stunned silence as a result of the test of wills between the two men. His gaze fell on Sylia, her face a cool mask of steely reserve. “Sylia, I think that now is the time to back out of the agreement you and Charley made if you want. Things are probably going to get bloody and I can't ask you to get into our fight.”
 
“Logan, the Knight Sabers have been fighting GENOM's evil before the X Men ever showed up in MegaTokyo. This is just another form of their immoral desire for profit and control at any cost. Priss is in danger, just as Chris is, and she is part of our family. So it seems to me that our two `families' are tied together in this quest, by the feelings that these two have for each other, along with a mutual goal of stopping something inherently wrong from happening.” Sylia responded, her gaze never leaving Logan's.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
 
The End of Ties That Bind Part 6