Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ BGC 2055: Megatokyo Burning ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bubblegum Crisis 2055: Megatokyo Burning

Sparks: Part Two

Minagi sighed to herself softly, the blue haired woman brushing her long mane of hair back as she cleaned off the top of the bar with a rag. Arisugawa's Locket was bustling, her black haired co-bartender Mahoro helping her keep up with the rush, but something still felt badly off.

"It's a bit strange, not having Ryouko here with you," Arisugawa Juri noted. With a gracious smile the orange haired owner and manager accepted her standard glass of colored gingerale, then the tall woman turned to look out at the crowd thoughtfully.

"She and Ayeka had to go with Tenchi back to Jurai," Minagi shrugged, her simple bodysuit hugging her atractive body, "especially with the Emperor's death."

"Hey," the black haired woman made her way through the crowd to give them both a smile. Despite her age there was energy in her step, a slight grin on her face. "Do you think Tenchi will take the throne?" Tendo Nabiki asked curiously, "There's a betting pool of some of our more glactically aware customers."

"I'm curious, too," Juri admitted.

"I think he will take the throne," Minagi said to them gravely, "if only to help protect the Earth." At their confused glances she continued, "Jurai's empire has continued to expand in this direction. We'd be a target, eventually, for a try of conquest."

"Emphasis on try," Mahoro offered with a grin. Her long black hair was tied back, the maid's uniform she wore crisp and neat.

"Point," Minagi grinned. "This probably would be the one planet they couldn't take," she became more serious, "but it'd cost you."

Nabiki shook her head, a smile on her face. "Excuse me," she waved as she walked off, "I'd better go place my bet."

Juri watched her walk away, for a moment her expression sad. She and many of her friends were immortals, or at least ageless. But many of them weren't, and as Nabiki aged in front of her she became more and more aware of her friend's mortality.

"I always wondered why Jurai citizens rarely leave their empire," Minagi said softly, "but I think I understand." She gave Juri a slight smile, "It's hard, isn't it?"

"Sometimes," Juri agreed.

"Juri-sama!" Excel tackled her from behind, the blonde haired girl wrapping her arms around Juri's neck and nearly sending the woman crashing to the ground.

"Sorry, Juri," Hyatt said faintly, the black haired girl weakly tugging Excel off Juri's back. Someone waved for an order and the two bolted off to serve.

"Then again, this place has lots of distractions," Juri noted with a wry smile. She looked through the crowd, frowning slightly when she saw a familiar figure standing there alone. "Excuse me," she pushed off from the bar, making her way into the crowd.

"Stay out of trouble," Mahoro added before moving to serve another customer.

"Hello, can I get you something?" the brown haired woman smiled at the ladies at the table. "My name is May, and I'll be serving you tonight."

Juri waited until May delived the diner's order before flaging her down to ask, "I thought you had the day off?"

"Well, yes," May frowned. "It's complicated."

Juri raised an eyebrow, "Care to talk about it? I'd be glad to help."

May hesitated, then she smiled slightly. "Thank you, yes," she said softly.

They went over to the stairway, past the dance floor and the library, then up to the upper floor. The bedrooms were all occupied, but they went right on past those to a simple unmarked office. "Would you like something to drink?" Juri offered once May sat down, casually reaching for a wine bottle up on a shelf.

"I'm a Cyberdoll," May reminded her, "alcohol doesn't really effect me."

"Maybe," Juri agreed, "but it sometimes helps to have something to do with one's hands." Instead of sitting behind her desk Juri took a seat in a chair by May's, "What's wrong?"

May looked down, then up to meet Juri's compassionate eyes. "It's Keiko," she admitted.

"I kind of guessed that," Juri agreed. Keiko and May had been together for nearly fifty years, and the intense dark haired young woman was nearing sixty. She sighed, "Keiko hasn't visited the Locket for awhile now."

"It's not that she doesn't want to," May sighed, "but her work as a cybernetics designer is keeping her so busy. Keiko and I were supposed to be having a date tonight, but her manager called needing her to help with the latest prototype."

"But you shouldn't have to come second to the job, May," Juri reminded her gently.

May actually laughed softly at that, "Normally, I'm not." More gravely she continued, "This project is top secret, she can't even tell me about it, and all the work has to be done on site."

"And with your girlfriend kidnapped by her job you didn't want to be alone," Juri said thoughtfully, "so you came over here."

"Pretty much," May agreed.

"You can work down there if you want to," Juri said to her gently, "if that makes you more comfortable." A smile, "Or you can just hand out with us, enjoy your day off."

"Thank you," May smiled, the two walking down stairs together.

They reached the bottom step when Juri felt a familiar presence. She looked up, a slight smile appearing on her face as she saw the black haired woman waiting at the bar. Juri gave May a smile, "You mind if I go?"

May chuckled softly, "Have fun."

Juri made her way through the crowd, politely nudging people aside to reach her target. "Setsuna," she smiled, and was welcomed with a broad smile.

"Juri," Setsuna smiled back, her black hair shining an odd green in the light. They simply slid into each other's arms, both seeming to relax for the first time.

"Told you she'd be back," Mahoro smiled, wiping the counter.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, love," Juri sighed happily. They slid apart most reluctantly, Minagi quickly producing Setsuna's favorite drink.

"Thank you," Setsuna smiled at Minagi, taking a cautious drink. She looked weary, her eyes dark as she leaned up against the bar.

"Rough day?" Juri asked gently as Mahoro handed Juri her usual.

Setsuna sighed, "I'm working on building the Senshi's new identities, alongside the computer expertise of our Professor Mizuno."

"You've decided to go through with it?' Mahoro blinked at her in surprise.

"There seems to be little choice," Setsuna made a face. "None of us are aging, and makeup can only disguise that for so long."

"It can't be easy for some of them," Juri noted softly. Usagi Tsukino had built a career as a manga artist, Ami Mizuno was a professor at Tokyo university, Minako Aino was a well known idol, and so on. Abandoning those lives would be difficult, to say the least.

"No, it's not," Setsuna agreed. She took a small sip of her drink before softly continuing, "Have you and the other duelists considered doing something similar?"

"Touga's already working on something like that," Juri sighed. She swirled color gingerale around her own glass, "I won't be seperated from you, Setsuna."

"Nor I, you," Setsuna said firmly. She took Juri's hand in her own, the matching gold rings they wore glistening in the bar's dim light, "We'll find a way."

Juri kissed her gently, "Yes, we will."

To be continued...

Characters in this Episode: Arisugawa Juri, Keiko and Touga are all from Revolutionary Girl Utena. Minagi, Ryouko, Tenchi and Ayeka are from Tenchi Muyo. Tendo Nabiki is from Ranma 1/2. Mahoro is from Mahoromatic. Excel and Hyatt are from Excel Saga. Cyberdoll May is from Hand Maid May.