Buffy The Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ A Hunter's Nephew ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Unfortunately I still do not own any of the boys. How I wish I did.
 
Chapter 10
 
 
Xander frowned as he read through the email from Giles. He didn't know what had finally brought the Englishman into the twenty first century but he wasn't going to complain, especially since it meant he could keep in contact while on the road. He'd been travelling on his own for the last month, hunting as he went.
 
He'd even stopped in at the only other American Hellmouth to check up on it for the ex-Watcher. Giles believed that if Sunnydale ever went under, the Hellmouth in Cleveland would be the next hotspot. After visiting, Xander was inclined to agree. While nowhere near Sunnydale levels the city did have a higher than average population that fell in the non-human category.
 
What had him worried at the moment though, were Giles' comments about reports of groups in camouflage dragging demons off to parts unknown. It sounded too much like a black-op for his comfort and he had warned Giles to be cautious.
 
The girls seemed to have settled in to college life fairly well and if he were totally honest, he did miss them, but he couldn't go back, not now. The nightly patrols in Sunnydale had been killing him slowly; he could see that now that he was away from the Hellmouth.
 
If they desperately needed help, he would go back and then leave again but he hoped it didn't come to it. If the military was taking an interest in demons...he shuddered at what some groups would do with that knowledge. He'd have to ask his uncle about getting in touch with any ex-military hunters to see what they thought.
 
Xander shut down his laptop and headed out for a walk around the town. He didn't know why, but for some reason he had ended up in the Winchester's home town. It wasn't like he would learn anything about his friends from being there, Dean had only been four when they'd left, but when he'd seen the sign on the highway he had found himself taking the exit.
 
It was a nice place, bigger than Sunnydale, but more `real' in its niceness. He paused outside one house and studied it, something was different about it. He nearly jumped when the door opened and a woman stood there glaring at him
 
“Well are you coming in or not?” She demanded and Xander felt his jaw drop.
 
“Excuse me?” He was surprised at how normal he sounded.
 
“Get in here boy, I don't have all day.” Xander slowly walked towards the house and then edged past the woman and into the house.
 
“So how are those boys? Still getting into trouble?” Xander stared at her in confusion.
 
“Ma'am?”
 
“Don't ma'am me Alexander. I asked you how Dean and Sam are, though I guess Sam is of more interest to you.” She said and Xander couldn't help but feel bewildered and nervous, though paranoia was beginning to rear its head as well. How did she know his name or that he the Winchester's?
 
“Seer?” He guessed and she shook her head.
 
“Psychic. Sensed you as soon as you hit the town outskirts. You've power about you, though not the same as Sam does.” She told him and Xander nodded.
“Missouri Mosley.”
 
“Alexander Harris, though apparently you already knew that. And they were okay the last time we talked.”
 
“Good, you don't tell secrets that aren't yours to share. I already know about the Deal, I try to keep an eye out for those two.”
 
“Don't suppose you know if we'll find a way to break it?” He asked as he took the seat she offered.
 
“Sorry honey, not that type of psychic. I do know that with you and your contacts there's a better chance. Just be careful about how much gets back to the Council or you'll find them at your door.”
 
“Wouldn't be the first time, they don't like me much. They came for you?” Xander accepted a cup of tea, smiling as the smell reminded him of Giles. Missouri sat down opposite him and nodded.
 
“When I was a child, my father ran them off and we moved. But they're far more interested in the Slayer's Knight, White Knight, Destroyer of Prophecies, Fate's Wild Card... Shall I continue?” Xander had paled as she talked.
 
“Okay I know where the knight thing comes from, stupid Angelus, but the others?” Xander took a gulp of tea, trying to calm down.
 
“Child, name one prophecy that you've come into contact with that hasn't at least been warped. You are a wild card, not a champion, or chosen in any way. No one saw you coming. You are a free agent in the cosmic game of chess and that makes you dangerous to the plans of both sides.
The Watchers like their power, you took some away by staying beside your Slayer. Some demons respect you for not being indiscriminate in your hunting; others hate you for being a threat. And now that you're away from the Hellmouth in some ways you are an easier target. Add the fact that you are psychic yourself and you are a very tempting target to either kill or control.”
 
“Wait, psychic?”
 
“How did you think you suck up spirits and have them stick? You're a medium and a powerful one at that. Although it seems that you do have some rudimentary shielding (,) you should work on them.”
 
“Oh. Can you help with that? Or tell me who can?” Xander was feeling more than a little overwhelmed by everything she had said, it was weird having a stranger know more about him than he did.
 
“You won't be here long enough for me to do much, but I can give you some books and tips. And don't beat around the bush with Sam or your girl may start pushing the issue a bit more than you'd like.”
 
Five hours later he was back in his hotel room, still in a bit of shock and with a pile of books he'd been ordered to read and practice from. His being psychic made sense, though it was surprising that Giles had never said anything. Maybe he thought Xander would have realised?
 
At least he didn't get the mind numbing headaches Sam did. Sam hadn't mentioned any visions since he had been brought back to life. Maybe with the Demon gone his powers were gone or at least dormant? That would be worth looking into so Sam wouldn't get any nasty surprises down the track.
 
Missouri was...something else that was for sure. She could out stubborn him, something very few could do and yet there was something mothering about her. He chuckled as he remembered some of the things she'd had to say about Dean. It wasn't all that surprising to learn she was the one that had told John Winchester about the wider world. She was definitely someone worth keeping in contact with.
 
-------------------------------
Xander was sitting in a diner in Raleigh, North Carolina when his phone rang. He groaned and dropped his burger, fishing the phone out of his pocket and barely managing to answer before it went to voicemail.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hey Xander, how are you?” Xander grinned as his uncle's voice reached his ear.
 
“Well, I'm watching my burger go cold but other than that I'm good.” Bobby laughed at his answer.
 
“Sorry for interrupting your lunch. I was hoping you were somewhere near Buffalo.” Xander frowned.
 
“Buffalo, New York? I'm in Raleigh at the moment so not too far. What's up?”
 
“The boys could use some help.”
 
“Address?” Bobby laughed.
 
“Eager aren't you? Be careful on this one Xander. Someone broke into their Dad's storage unit and stole a cursed rabbit's foot. Whatever you do don't touch it.”
 
“Gotcha. Can I at least finish my lunch first?” Xander pleaded and Bobby laughed again.
 
“Eat up kid and be careful, this thing has killed a lot of people.”
 
--------------------------------------
Xander grinned as he passed the Impala and knocked on the door.
 
“Room service.” He called cheerfully, juggling the bags of takeout. The door opened and Dean grinned at the food.
 
“Great timing Xan, you get to babysit!” Dean pulled him into the room.
“I'm guessing Bobby told you about the foot?”
 
“Yeah, he also said not to touch it, why?” Xander handed Sam one of the bags.
 
“Because if you lose it your luck goes bad until you die of it.” Sam told him.
“Thanks.” Sam indicated the bag before starting to eat, Dean watching to make sure he didn't choke.
“I touched it before we knew what it was and some woman named Bela Talbot stole it from me.” Sam said and Xander winced.
 
“I'm going after her. Now that you're here I want you to stay with Sammy, make sure nothing happens to him. Now Sam I want you to sit right here and don't move, okay? Don't turn on the light, don't turn off the light. Don't even scratch your nose. Anything you need you let Xander get for you, okay?” Dean pushed Sam down onto the chair.
“I'll be back soon.” Dean took his share of the food and left.
 
“Sorry about this.” Sam said apologetically and Xander shrugged.
 
“I don't mind, I was in Raleigh anyway so it's not like I drove all the way across country. Besides I like helping you guys, it's always interesting. By the way, met a friend of yours a few weeks back.”
 
“Yeah, who?”
 
“Missouri Mosley. Good woman, pushy but nice.”
 
“Yeah, she likes telling Dean off for cussing.” Sam laughed and Xander grinned.
 
“Oh yeah, she said to say hi and that she's going to see what she can find to help Dean.” Sam's jaw dropped.
 
“You told her?”
 
“She knew. Kind of freaky really how much she knows about things. Told me something I probably should have worked out a while ago.” Xander flopped down on Sam's bed to eat.
 
“Oh? Do you mind?” Sam shifted on his chair and Xander tensed, ready to rush to his rescue.
 
“Apparently you aren't the only psychic in this room except I'm a medium. It's why soldier boy and the Hyena are still around, I suck in spirits. She gave me some books on how to shield and stuff though.” Xander told him and Sam relaxed at the fact that Xander would be able to protect himself.
 
They both tensed as the air conditioning unit on the wall began to make a clanking noise and then began to smoke.
 
“Sam, stand up and move very carefully as far as you can from it, I'll put it out.” Sam nodded and did as Xander said but tripped half way and fell, knocking himself out on the corner of the table.
“Brilliant.” Xander groaned as he managed to put the small fire out.
 
The door burst open and Xander spun, yanking a knife and throwing it at the figure coming through the door. It was a non-fatal hit that earnt a strangled yelp form his target. He pulled another blade and moved closer but backed off a bit as a second male joined the first. Two guns came up to aim at him and Xander froze.
 
“Drop it kid. We're here for him not you.” The second man said and Xander glared.
 
“Over my dead body.” He growled and then moved. He managed to take out the already injured man and then gasped as blinding pain radiated out form his shoulder. He staggered but turned to face the remaining man, ignoring the bullet lodged in his shoulder.
 
Apparently they had silencers for their guns, something he needed to look into since he would have pulled his gun if he'd had a silencer.
 
“Last warning kid, drop the knife. God has demanded Sam Winchester's death.”
 
“Then why have none of the seers I know called me to say that?” Xander growled at him from between clenched teeth. His arm was going numb but his shoulder felt like it was on fire. Though hey, it was his first gunshot wound.
 
Unfortunately the pain and their talking kept him from noticing the man he'd knocked out was no longer unconscious. Something Xander was kicking himself for as his world went black.
 
When Sam woke up he was tied to a chair and Xander was tied to the bed, unconscious and covered in blood.
 
“Xander!” Sam yelled, panicked for his friend.
 
“Oh, he's awake.” A strange man commented and Sam glared groggily, his head was rather sore and his own yell hadn't helped much.
 
“If you've done anything to him...”
 
“The kid will be fine, just a shoulder wound. He refused to stand aside.” The other man said.
 
“Who are you, what do you want?”
 
I used to think your friend, Gordon sent me.” Something about the man's voice worried Sam, a lot.
 
“Gordon? Oh come on.” He groaned. Annoyingly they still hadn't given their names.
 
Because he asked me to track you down and put a bullet in your brain.”
“Great. That sounds like him.”
 
But as it turns out, I'm on a mission from God.” Sam winced as he was smacked.
 
“Kubrick I think we need to dump the kid at a hospital, he's not looking to good.”
 
“If he is with Sam then he may deserve his fate Creedy.”
 
“That's Bobby Singer's nephew you idiots, he dies and there are a lot of people who will come looking for you.” Sam told them, hoping they'd get Xander help. Bobby shouldn't have called him for help.
 
“Fine, Creedy dump him at an ER, Sam and I need to talk.” Sam watched as the second man dragged Xander out of the room.
 
---------------------------------------
Xander played possum until they were on the road and then he lashed out with a solid blow. Creedy was out like a light, never having seen it coming. Xander grabbed the wheel and managed to pull the car over.
 
He checked his shoulder and then used Creedy's shirt as a new bandage. Securing the man in the car, Xander then left an anonymous tip to the police about a suspicious man on the side of the road.
 
He disarmed Creedy and then headed back to the hotel to save Sam. At least now he had a gun with a silencer to even the odds without alerting the police.
 
------------------------------------
Sam sputtered as he felt something wet dripping down his face; he must have passed out.
 
You were a part of that demon plan to open the gate, weren't you?”
 
We did everything we could to stop it.” Sam argued.
 
Lie, lie, lie. You were in on it. You know what their next move is, too, don't you?”
 
No. I don't, okay? You're wrong about all of this.” Sam tried to get through to him but it wasn't working.
 
Where are they gonna hit us next?” Sam didn't answer and took another blow to the face for his troubles.
 
Gordon told me about you, Sam -- about your powers. You're some kind of weirdo, psychic freak.”
 
No, not anymore. No powers, no visions, nothing.” He groaned softly as Kubrick punched him in the face. He had to be black and blue by now.
 
Now, no more lies. There's an army of demons out there, pushing at a world already on the brink. We're on deck for the end game here, right? So, maybe -- just maybe -- you can understand why we can't take chances.” Kubrick raised his gun and Sam swallowed.
 
“Whoa, okay. Hold on a minute.” Sam flinched at the muffled gunshot but then realised he was still alive. He blinked and stared at the man crumpled on the floor and then looked at the broken window. Someone had shot through the glass. The door slammed open and Xander staggered in, gun in hand.
 
“Xander! You okay?” Sam relaxed slightly at the sight of his friend and then frowned at how pale he was.
 
“I've been shot, what do you think? Though you're not looking so hot either.” Xander's words were slurring slightly and he staggered over to Sam. Xander began tugging at the ropes but raised the gun as the door opened again.
 
“Whoa! Easy Xander.” Dean's voice had Sam relaxing.
 
“He's been shot Dean.” Sam called to his brother and Dean nodded even though Sam couldn't see it.
 
“Xander go sit on the bed, I'll cut Sam loose.” Dean urged gently, taking the gun from Xander.
 
“Where's the other one?” Sam asked as Dean worked on the ropes.
 
“Knocked out in his stolen car with the cops on the way.” Was the tired response and Dean grinned.
 
“Good work.” Once Sam was untied they moved over to Xander.
 
“You got it?” Sam asked as Dean began checking Xander over.
 
“Yeah. Lets patch you two up then use that ritual of Bobby's to end this.”
 
------------------------------
All right. Say goodbye, Wascally Wabbit.”Dean dangled the foot over the prepared fire.
 
I think you'll find that belongs to me.” They turned to see Bela standing before them, gun raised.
Or, you know…whatever. Put the foot down, honey.”
 
No. You're not gonna shoot anybody. See, I happen to be able to read people. Okay, you're a thief. Fine. But you're not—“ Dean was saying and as if just to prove him wrong she shot Sam. He fell to the ground, clutching at his shoulder, which happened to be the opposite one to where Xander had been hit. Through the pain he was glad they'd left Xander knocked out on pain pills in the hotel.
 
“Son of a—“ Dean stared in shock at his brother on the ground.
 
Back off, tiger. Back off. You make one more move, and I'll pull the trigger. You've got luck, Dean. You, I can't hit. But your brother? Him, I can't miss.”
 
What the hell is wrong with you?! You don't just go around shooting people like that!”
 
Relax. It's a shoulder hit. I can't aim. Besides, who here hasn't shot a few people?” Her question went unanswered.
Put the rabbit's foot on the ground, now.”
 
All right! All right, take it easy.” He bent down as if he were going to put the foot on the ground.
“Think fast.” He tossed it to Bela who caught it automatically. Dean smirked since she was part of the curse now. Bela stared at it in shock.
 
“Damn.” She swore.
 
Now, what do you say we destroy that ugly-ass piece of dead thing?” Dean asked and she sighed before tossing it into the fire.
 
Thanks very much. I'm out one and a half million, and on the bad side of a very powerful, fairly psychotic buyer.”
 
Wow. I really don't feel bad about that. Sam?”
 
“Nope. Not even a little.” He answered climbing to his feet and keeping pressure on the wound.
 
Hm. Maybe next time, I'll hang you out to dry.”
 
Aw, don't go away angry. Just go away.” Dean replied.
 
“Have a nice night, boys.” She was smirking as she walked away. Once it had finished burning they grabbed their gear and headed out.
 
“You good?” Dean asked in concern.
 
“I'll live.” Was the pained answer.
 
“You and Xander sort of match now. I guess we're back to normal now, huh? No good luck, no bad luck. Oh! I forgot. We're up forty-six thousand dollars. I almost forgot about the scratch tickets.”
 
His smile faded though as he checked his pockets, the tickets were gone. They looked up as Bela drove by, honking her horn and waving.
Son of a bitch!”
---------------------------------
Bobby couldn't help shaking his head as Xander and Sam walked in, each with an arm in a sling. Life was certainly more interesting with his three boys around. Though he could do without all the extra grey hair they gave him.
 
TBC...