Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ A Young Man's Fancy ❯ Oh, as I was young, green, and easy ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Young Man's Fancy- Oh as I was young, green, and easy

By Jae

Tomoyo sat in the dark viewing room, her legs tucked underneath her, the VCR whirring softly as the tape rewound. She stretched her arms, indulging herself in a loud yawn. It had been a long day and she wanted nothing more than to crawl into her bed. She had taken a bath and changed into a cotton nightgown, her hair in a loose braid. But she still had to see the tape. The whirring died down. Tomoyo picked up the remote and started the tape. The path to Eriol's house popped up on the screen, Sakura and Kero-chan talking. She smiled. Kero-chan was like family now. The little brother that stole your dessert and hogged your video games and manga. She couldn't imagine life without him.

Nakuru's leering, maniacal face came up next, with Spinel Sun hovering in the background. Tomoyo wondered if Eriol had intentionally created guardians that complemented Sakura's guardians so well. In personality, coloring, and form. Knowing Eriol and his whimsical sense of humor, it probably was intentional. The camera followed Spinel's flying back. Eriol's house was palatial and exquisite. It took Tomoyo's breath away. But what impressed Tomoyo more was the sense of comfort that permeated the house. It reminded her of Sakura's house, actually. Fresh cut wild flowers of varying lengths sitting in a vase in the foyer, Nakuru's frilly dress tossed against the banister, a book left half open at the foot of the staircase. It was all very human. In spite of Eriol's own feelings on the matter, Tomoyo never doubted his humanity. He did have a certain reservation, but the same could be said of Tomoyo. Then again, Tomoyo might not be considered the best gauge for normal behavior. She turned her attention back to the monitor.

Up the winding staircase, she could hear Eriol's voice protesting weakly. Down the long, dark hallway. Into his room. The room was slightly cooler than the rest of the house. Tomoyo had frowned. If he were sick, the last thing he needed was to be chilly. But there were many thick comforters on his bed as well a hot water bottle. Eriol had kicked most of the comforters off, only the sheet half pulled over him. He wore blue and white striped pajamas, which matched his wallpaper. Tomoyo allowed herself a small smile. Now that was attention to detail. The top few buttons were undone. His glasses lay on the nightstand next to him. His usually perfect hair was mussed, his face was flushed and his eyes were bright and feverish.

Even now, Tomoyo had to bite her lip to keep the sigh from escaping as Eriol struggled to sit up in his bed. It had been so easy to appreciate his beauty from a distance when he was proper and polite, like a painting, like her. Her hands itched to button his shirt, to let her fingers trace the pale line of his throat, cool his red cheeks, muss his hair. Tomoyo's own cheeks grew red. She had done that, much to her chagrin. She wouldn't normally indulge in such impulses, but Sakura had prompted her, as if Sakura could read Tomoyo's thoughts. Perhaps Sakura could. Over time, Sakura had gained a sort of fey, uncanny insight that startled even Tomoyo. Whether it was her magical heritage or something as germane as experience, it was to be expected. Sakura was not frozen in time. Even if Tomoyo felt that she herself was.

Tomoyo missed human contact. She still hugged Sakura, held hands with her as they walked together. But Tomoyo had promised herself once Syaoran came back, she would give them space. All her work would not be in vain. Barring Sakura, Tomoyo was far too formal to indulge in casual affection. So Tomoyo spent her days distant and devoid of physical contact. And she had enjoyed touching Eriol far too much for her own good. Eriol's hand on top of hers. Just a jest, friendly teasing. She smiled to hide her growing confusion. They traded jests, but all she could focus on was her hand lying on his chest as it rose and fell with each breath he took. Tomoyo laughed, in spite of herself. Because Eriol tried so hard to please, even though he was tired and feverish and ill. He looked at her, his grey eyes so clear she felt as if he could see right through her friendly concern. Was it concern he saw? Interest? Lust? Tomoyo blanched slightly at that word. Then he closed his eyes and he whispered words in English. It sounded like poetry. She had leaned towards him to catch the soft words.

Now the only thing on the screen was Tomoyo's back, her hair pooling around herself and Eriol. It was almost impossible to tell how close they were. But she remembered. Her hands lay in his, his feverish warmth washing over her, overwhelming her. If she leaned in a little more, she could kiss him. So softly, he wouldn't notice. His eyes were closed. He would imagine it was her hair, or the wind. Tomoyo started back, shocked at this sudden thought.

Only a moment had passed. Tomoyo had pulled back, resuming the conversation from the safety of the chair by the bed. She frowned. Eriol seemed troubled too. She sighed. Perhaps he had noticed her forward manner. Sakura, Nakuru, Spinel Sun and Kero-chan entered the room. She smiled again at the antics. The tape stopped at that moment, but Tomoyo giggled as she remembered Eriol's peevish rage. He had been tired and all that fuss had likely worn him out.

Tomoyo sighed as the tape rewound itself yet again. What was she doing? Hiiragizawa Eriol did not need her poking her nose in his life. And yet, she couldn't help herself. Tomoyo rubbed her eyes, yawning yet again. It was late. There was no point in wallowing over Hiiragizawa-kun. After a good night's rest, reason would reassert herself and Tomoyo would stop this maudlin moping. The tape stopped and Tomoyo shut off the VCR. She walked into her bedroom and crawled under the comforter. She closed her eyes. The image of Eriol's flushed face, limbs tangled in his sheets appeared in her mind. She groaned softly and rolled over. This night promised to be a long one.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Syaoran kicked a pebble. The pebble hadn't done anything to offend him, but he had to kick something. He failed to see why he had to talk to Daidouji about the freak. Well other than the fact that Sakura was batty. Her propensity for crazy schemes should have been a given; after all, Sakura was Clow's heir. But Daidouji and Hiiragizawa? Daidouji wasn't in love with Sakura. She still looked at Sakura in that special way, but he couldn't blame anyone for giving Sakura special looks. Sakura was the sun, the moon and the stars. But to go from Sakura to Hiiragizawa was just, well, Daidouji had too much taste to settle for something like Hiiragizawa. Yes, Syaoran knew that Hiiragizawa's shoe locker was always overflowing with love letters. Yes, Hiiragizawa was rich and smart. Syaoran supposed Hiiragizawa might be good looking, if you enjoyed that cold, slimy, conniving look. So some people might have thought Hiiragizawa was a bit of a catch. But Daidouji could have anyone she wanted, she need only point. Which she would never do, of course. She was too polite.

Syaoran gave the pebble a good kick. And there was no way that Hiiragizawa wanted Daidouji. Daidouji was definitely a catch. But was he stupid enough to meddle with the inscrutable Daidouji Tomoyo? Her heart hidden, her thoughts unknown. Better luck with a rock. Or a pebble.

Syaoran snarled and kicked the poor, innocent pebble again. He trotted after the tumbling pebble. But he wanted Daidouji to be happy. Perhaps more than Sakura did. Daidouji had given up Sakura for him. He knew that if Daidouji had not approved, he would not have stood a chance. Sakura, for all her scheming ways, was oblivious to her many admirers. He would have been yet another faceless lover. And Daidouji, for all her strange quirks, was a good person. She deserved a chance at love, if anyone did. But really, Hiiragizawa? Syaoran wrinkled his nose. He started to swing his foot back for yet another kick when he spied Tomoyo's dark head out of the corner of his eyes. He abandoned his game and ran up to her. What was he supposed to say?

"Good morning, Daidouji."

Tomoyo smiled at Syaoran. "Good morning, Li-kun. How are you?"

Syaoran shrugged. Tomoyo's eyes were too bright and there were faint dark smudges under her eyes. "Well enough. You look tired. Did you sleep well?"

Tomoyo, to Syaoran's surprise, blushed faintly. "I had a fair amount of work to do, and what with Wednesday being my busiest day, I didn't have much time for sleep."

Syaoran nodded. "Monday is my hardest day. I have soccer practice and then training with Wei."

Syaoran fell into step with Tomoyo, and they continued to walk in silence. Syaoran waited for Tomoyo to tell him that Sakura's scheme to pair her with Hiiragizawa was the silliest idea in the world. Tomoyo had the disturbing ability to know exactly what was on his mind and it would save him the bother of raising the embarrassing topic.

A few blocks later, Tomoyo paused, looking at Syaoran.

"Where is Sakura-chan?"

Syaoran blinked. That was it? Daidouji was losing her touch. "She had monitor duties today and she didn't want me getting up so early."

Tomoyo nodded and returned to her bemused state.

Syaoran sighed. He would have to be the one to bring it up. Curses. "So I hear that you're going to that freak's house for dinner tomorrow."

Tomoyo nodded, her lips twisting briefly before they settled into her usual, cheerful smile. "Yes, I am. I'm sorry that Sakura-chan can't be there. I hear that you two are going on a date. Have you got something special planned? I could postpone my plans if you need help. Catch that once in a lifetime moment." Tomoyo's eyes sparkled as she slipped into her former scary ways. Syaoran tried not to smile. This was the Daidouji he knew.

Tomoyo shook her head. "No, I can't interrupt you. I must give you space. I promised, didn't I?" Tomoyo looked up at Syaoran, her eyes dark and lonely. Syaoran felt his chest tighten. Sakura was right. But did it have to be bloody Hiiragizawa? There must be someone else. Daidouji got more love letters than Hiiragizawa, after all. She just disposed of them more discreetly than Hiiragizawa did.

"Ah well. I suppose it's for the best that I already have plans then. It is unfortunate that Sakura-chan can't be there. Hiiragizawa-kun will have to cook two dinners now," Tomoyo continued.

"Yes, I suppose it is rather unfair that you have to face the freak alone," Syaoran replied.

Tomoyo shook her head at Syaoran. "Li-kun, I know that you don't like Hiiragizawa-kun, but he is a part of Sakura's life. And the reincarnation of Read-san. You can't avoid him, as much as you'd like to."

Tomoyo's voice took on a wistful tone, and for a moment, her eyes were shining. Just a moment. And then she slipped back into her smiling mask. It was all Syaoran could do to keep his jaw from dropping to the ground. He sighed. He hated it when Sakura was right. What did he expect? Clow Read had made his fortune from reading the future.

He placed his hand on her shoulder and gave Tomoyo a small smile. "You're right, of course. You're always right, Daidouji. But if that slimy bastard even thinks of using her like that again, well, I will have to take steps."

Tomoyo gave Syaoran a long look. Surely she must suspect? She blushed in earnest now, but the smile on her face was quite real, even bitter. "Thank you, Li-kun. I never had any doubt in you. Hiiragizawa-kun wouldn't harm a fly, you know. Well, not intentionally."

Syaoran gave a knowing smirk. Tomoyo laughed at this, hiding her mouth behind her hand.

"You don't need words to speak, do you, Li-kun? Well, we better hurry. We're going to be late," Tomoyo said in gasps, her voice still muffled.

"You're right, Daidouji. We better hurry."

--------------------------------------------------------

Touya grumbled as he followed Yukito down the street. They were trailing several hundred feet behind the freak. He didn't understand why they were doing this. Kaijuu had not said a word about speaking with Hiiragizawa. But Yukito had somehow managed to convince Touya it was a good idea. Yukito couldn't help himself. He was too nice for his own good. And Touya suspected that Yue still had a soft spot for the reincarnation of his former master. But that still did not explain why he, the sane rational one, was hunched behind a dark alleyway, waiting for Hiiragizawa to step into a store.

Yukito was frantically poking him. Hiiragizawa had just walked into a used bookstore. It was now or never. Touya sighed. Kaijuu owed him. He should be in the library studying, not skulking after stupid brats who had no right to be drooling over his cousin. Sure, Tomoyo was odd, but she was a good kid. And no one deserved the horrible fate of being attached to the freak. Yukito grabbed Touya by his shirt and began walking towards the store. Touya's grumbling turned to snarling.

The store had the musty odor of aged paper. Touya tried not to smile. `Tousan loved used bookstores and Touya had been dragged to many used bookstores as a young child when it had just been the three of them. Now that he knew that the freak and his father were somehow connected, even twins, their similarities jumped out at him. Which made this present situation all the more difficult for him. Hiiragizawa was in the back, calmly flipping through the pages of a book. Yukito shushed Touya and the two of them tip toed quietly to where Eriol stood.

"Hello, Tsukishiro-kun, Kinomoto-kun," Eriol said, without looking up from his book.

Was it any wonder he thought the boy was a freak?

Yukito smiled. "Hello, Hiiragizawa-kun." Touya merely grunted.

"What brings you to this store? I don't think I've ever seen you around here before," Eriol said, slipping his finger in between the pages, smiling politely at the two young men.

"'Tousan ordered a book from here and I offered to pick it up," Touya replied.

"Ah, so Kinomoto-san visits this store? I'm surprised we haven't run into each other more often," Eriol replied, still smiling politely.

How did he keep that smile plastered on his face? So eerily like `tousan and yet not.

Touya shrugged. "This used to be `tousan's favorite store, and we would come here all the time, him, `kaasan and me, before Sakura was born. But now…" Touya's words trailed off. The brat was doing it again. He was supposed to be grilling him for information about Tomoyo and instead he was spilling his guts. He better say it before the freak managed to sidetrack him some more.

"If you so much as harm a hair on her head, I will kill you, Hiiragizawa!" Touya growled, poking Eriol's shoulder before storming out of the store.

"Ganbattane~!" Yukito said, smiling at Eriol. Eriol blinked at Touya's retreating back.

"And Hiiragizawa-kun, my other self hopes that you will find happiness now that he has found his. There is someone out there for you, but she won't know it unless you speak your mind." Yukito continued, encouragement oozing from his smiling self. Yukito hopped after Touya, leaving a bemused Eriol.

Eriol tucked the copy of Shakespeare's Sonnets under his arm and walked up to the counter. Something was afoot. He better keep an eye on Nakuru, Spinel and most of all Sakura. The last thing he needed was to be caught up in one of their silly schemes.

---------------------------------------------------------------- -----

Sakura put the phone back on the receiver.

"Eriol-kun is still cooking, but Nakuru-san thinks he'll be done soon. He needs to get dressed. So if you go now, you should be safe," Sakura said, clipboard in hand.

Touya sighed. "I still don't see why I have to be hiding in the freak's kitchen. It's not as if I can do anything. If he or Tomoyo sees me, they'll know something is afoot, kaijuu," Touya said wearily, sounding like a broken record.

"You can listen from the silent butler. If things go awry, you can tell Nakuru or Spinel to go in and try to sort things out," Sakura said patiently, also sounding like a broken record.

Yukito grinned at Touya. "Come now, To-ya, haven't you ever wanted to play matchmaker before?"

Touya glared at Yukito. "No, not with my family, I don't."

"And of course, I will be there taping the whole thing," Sakura chirped, bringing out Tomoyo's V8.

Touya's eyes bulged. Syaoran began banging his head against the wall.

"I told Tomoyo-chan I was going to tape our date, Syaoran-kun, and she was more than happy to lend me her camera. Tomoyo-chan is such a dear," Sakura said sweetly, sweeping the camera lens across the room.

Kero-chan shook his head sadly. "To think she managed to survive all those years before succumbing to the taping bug."

Sakura carefully slipped the V8 into her backpack and slung it onto her shoulders.

"Let's hurry! We don't want Tomoyo-chan to see us."

The group shuffled out of the room amid grumbling, heated words and some shin kicking. Love was in the air. If a nudge or two were required, Sakura and her unwilling cohorts would be there to nudge. At home, Eriol cooked. At home, Tomoyo dressed. The night had just begun.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Notes

1. Fear procrastinating Jae. I managed to write most of this fic in about 7 hours. Some touch up a few days later, but this is the work in a nutshell. Wheee.

2. The title comes from a line in the Dylan Thomas poem Fernhill. Must keep churning those loverly spring titles for my chapters.

3. I apologize if some of the characters seem OOC, but I'm trying to create my own variation on the Eriol/Tomoyo story. Other authors have done an excellent job, but to maintain my pride and my interest, I will do something that is bound to upset.