Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Against All Odds ❯ Questions Questions ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Against All Odds
Chapter 2: Questions Questions
On a breezy Thursday, Tomoyo was on her way to class, being greeted by students down the hall or across from her. “Good morning, Daidouji-sensei.” “How are you, Daidouji-sensei?” “Morning, Daidouji-sensei!” the greetings repeated.
Like any other Madonna (A/N: From GTO, Madonna is the prettiest teacher in the school.) in any other school, she'd smile and wave innocently, replying with a “Good morning”, but for some odd reason her attention was forced on Eriol. “Good morning, Hiiragizawa-kun.”
Eriol just stared at her as he slammed his locker door and walk away.
“AwWw… Eriol should be nicer!” Renzo swiftly came up on Eriol.
He turned around and stared blankly at her. “There's no reason I should be.”
“Cheer up, Eriol! Good morning and I'm sorry, Daidouji-sensei. Eriol is such a grump in the morning.” Renzo began. “He really means `Good morning to you too'.”
“Good morning, Moribashi-kun.” She said in sudden interest, “Do you know where Fukugawa-san is?”
“She's in class already.”
“She's where?” Tomoyo's jaw just dropped. Fukugawa Mai wasn't the sweetest girl as anyone could clearly see. Being an outcast and rebel got her the title “The Kane Tsubasa”. It had been already a week since Tomoyo has been teaching and now she had discovered what kind of reputation Mai had...Or did she?
“She's usually like that.” Midori came up from behind and smiled. “Morning, Daidouji-sensei.”
“Good morning, Midori. You seem to know her well.”
“Not really. If you haven't noticed, she does that every morning.” A smile had faded on Midori's sweet face and in a quick second, she was back to normal. “Well, the bell is going to ring soon. See ya later.”
As Midori walked down the hall, Tomoyo wondered, `I wonder if Fukugawa-san really doesn't have any friends…'
“Shouldn't you be on your way to class?” Eriol rudely asked as he was down the hall. “Hypocrite.”
“You should as well, hypocrite.” She smirked and was on her way.
Eriol just glared at her while she walked. `What a smartass. Mocking me like that. She doesn't know who she's dealing with.' The one thing he didn't do was admitting was that she was right. Deep down he knew that he should go to class, but he had his reasons. If only she knew those reasons.
--------------------------------------------------------
 
It was the third period of the day, Midori's favorite, Math. Unfortunately, she really wasn't in the mood for numbers today. As she looked blankly at her worksheet, she sighed with a worried face. “It's not like you, Mimi.” Renzo nudged her as she was about to fall asleep.
She looked over at him, sat straight up, and organized her things. “What are you talking?” She whispered, pretending like she didn't actually associate with him. “I'm perfectly healthy.” Midori looked at the board and raised her hand. “The answer is six.”
The teacher seemed impressed. “Fuji-san, good work! I didn't even finish writing it yet…” It seemed a little scary too.
“Thank you.” She smiled her usual and when back to whispering. “See, I'm fine! And don't call me Mimi. We're in school.”
Renzo sighed and replied, “Fuji, are you that ashamed of me?”
“I have a reputation.” They really were best friends. She felt guilty and pretending like she was writing notes. She slid a small note to him. He's face lit up as he secretly read it. `Look, Ren. I didn't mean it like that. Let's hang out at my house later, `kay? :)
He wrote back saying, `Sure. It's okay. I know how important things mean to you.' ;)
She smiled back at him and continued writing her actual notes she didn't really need. As she looked like she into the lecture, he glanced at her hand every now and then. His hand would move closer and closer to hers each time, but never touched. They'd been friends since they were very young. And ever one of those years, his hand yearned for hers, but never touching.
DING DONG! As his hand was so near, she got up and looked at him oddly. “Is their something wrong? Did you drop something?”
“N-n-nothing.”
“Hey, Mi-chan!” Few of girls came up to her with girly smiles. “Eat lunch with us today?”
Midori smiled sweetly and said, “Sure. Near the river, right?”
“Yeah!” The girl giggled until she noticed Renzo behind Midori, just sitting there and staring. “Who's he? Are you talking to him?”
“Ew! He's a geek.” One of them whispered as the other's murmured.
Midori turned around with painful eyes, saying something more sore than before, “Of course not, Aki-chan! I heard you got a new charm! Can I see it?”
The girl cheered up and said, “Yeah! It's at my desk. Let's go!” And as they went and girls giggled, Renzo thought, `It doesn't matter to me as long as she's smiling, right?'
Suddenly, a group of boys with buzz cuts, glasses, and laptops came up to Renzo. “Hey, Mori! Did the new online game, Shadow Wars?!”
Renzo whined quietly, but said happily, “Sorry, guys. I've been thinking about something other than my laptop.”
“Oh, it's a girl!” One boy went. The other just said, “Oh” and “ah”. Another boy, the only one without a buzz besides Renzo said, “Well, wasn't Fuji-san, right next to you?”
“She sits next to me, Hikaru.” Renzo looked at the boy. It was his rival, Hikaru Shoji. “I would never talk to a prissy girl like her.” That was hurt him to say.
Shoji grinned. “Well, you would mind seeing some pictures of her, right?” He took out his brand new laptop and said, “Here boys! The next set of pictures on the market.” The boys howled and roared over her. There were several pictures of Midori smiling, running, walking home, etc., but there was only one set of picture that really ticked Renzo off. “Here's my finale! And I'm selling this set for 50,000 yen.” As he opened the file, Shoji grinned widely. The folder opened and there it was. They were pictures of Midori in the locker room changing, half naked.
Renzo swiftly opened his laptop, typing as fast as he could, thinking, `What a little fuck. I'll show him.' “I think you should respect girls and not exploit their bodies.” He had sent a virus to delete whatever files were opened.
“You own me 50,000 yen!” Renzo shrugged and left his table. Shoji just glared at Renzo's back and vowed to himself, `He's going to pay for what he did.'
--------------------------------------------------------
During around the same time, Eriol was walking through a park near by, doing the usual, thinking. “Shit.” He said under his breath. He looked at his watch. It was ten thirty-two. Usually around that time some teachers began to patrol the park, so he fled… until someone familiar tripped him. “Hey, there, stranger.” He looked up and there she was in her bad girl glory.
“Mai, what the hell do you want?” He looked into her red contacts and rolled his eyes.
She flipped her perfectly damaged pink high-lighted hair and smirked, not smiled. “Just hanging out.” She grabbed his arm. “Let's go to Hoshi café and talk.”
“Sure, I guess.” It was a little odd. Mai was actually one of the only people he talked to, but it was a little too weird to see her. He suspected something was up, but he tagged along. As he walked with her, he decided to talk. “What's wrong?”
“What do you mean?”
“You don't actually make contact with me.” He chuckled. “You call me because you're too much of a lazy ass.”
She smirked more and said, “I don't know. I just felt like seeing you.”
“You need rent money?”
Mai looked at him, with a brow up. She took on a pack of cigarettes and a small match box. “Nah, not this month. I'm covered.” Right when she was about to take a nice whiff, he took to from her hand. “What the fuck?”
“It's not healthy for you.” Eriol took the first whiff and gave it back to her. He sneered on the smoke he blew and said, “Isn't sulfur nice?”
She glanced at him, not knowing that he smoked or knew he knew the manners of smoking with a buddy. “It's smells nice. Thanks.” (A/N: It's more polite to light with a match your cigarette before your buddies, because then you get more sulfur then the other.)
“Hey, did you get that new CD from that band Mae?” He started. “It's good.”
Mai giggled. “I don't listen to American bands anymore. I went back to my Japanese. I missed X-Japan.”
“What?” He laughed hard. “You don't understand it.”
“What?! Yes, I do. I know how to look up translations!” He only laughed harder. She took her glaze off him and saw a teacher coming by the café. It looked like he noticed too because he stopped laughing.
“You wanna hang out at my place?”
Mai quickly smiled and replied, “I guess. What do you have at your place?”
“I have some beer, coffee, tea, and milk.”
“Ha, it's funny how you say you hate adults, but you drink like one.”
He rolled his eyes. “You left the case of beer at my house. The coffee is Ren's. The tea is Midori's.” Wrinkles filled Mai's face. “What?”
“You still hang out with them?”
“Yeah, why?”
“It's pathetic.” Eriol stopped to listen to what she was trying to say. “I mean, Ren is her lackey and Fuji is just a little miss perfect. She pisses me off.”
For the first time, he punched her in face. “They're my best friends, so don't be a bitch about it.” Dropping hard to the floor, he stared deep into his eyes. “Psh, I thought you changed.”
“What are you talking about? I'm still Mai. I'm still the Mai you hung out with all summer, listening to music, talking, having fun with, and-” He turned away in a split minute, pretending he couldn't hear her. `He can't see a god damn thing.'
--------------------------------------------------------
It was a nice warm after-school afternoon. A sigh of relieve was released from Tomoyo's mouth. “English is a slap, but music… as much as I love there's a lot of work to be done.” She stacked up her papers and supplies and left her room. Suddenly, some of the girls came up to her in a panic. “What's wrong, girls?”