Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Battle Royale ❯ Preparation ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: I'm going to be taking extracts from different people's diaries in every chapter. So no, you're STILL not going to find out the writer in the prologue until the end! HA! HA!

Battle Royale

By Charles Xavier

"Calling for peace was a good idea, but can't win 'em all." Kitano

Preparation

Dear Diary,

I don't how to begin this. It's difficult for me to explain what happened today in just a few sentences. But what I've learned today is that sometimes the unthinkable can happen, even to a young boy like myself. A lot has happened ever since this morning, well not really, but it just seems like it. (Gosh, it's cold in here…)

It began this morning. Mr. Terada was taking us on a mystery trip to somewhere he didn't wish to reveal. All he said was that it was a 'surprise' (how very typical). Everyone was confused about our teacher, yet they didn't get any suspicions on him. He never acted strange before and all the kids including myself in school knew him rather well. So the whole class went along and gathered together in the bus coach. We departed quite early.

Despite how happy everyone looked around me, something was still bothering me. The school hadn't given us any notice about this trip before its day. Perhaps this was something our parents weren't supposed to know. Meiling, however, wasn't worrying and simply sat back. I told her about my thoughts, but she only laughed and told me to calm down…how wrong she was.

The bus drove on for about two to three hours. And as I looked out to the window, I was able to tell that instant we were already miles away from home…many miles away. Strangely, nobody in my class was complaining. I tried telling Meiling, but she laughed again at me. Seeing that she was not much of use, I turned my attention to Mr. Terada.

When I looked at him, he was wearing a gas mask, covering his entire face. I had no idea why this was so, until white clouds of fumes burst out from the sides of our bus and made the entire class fall unconscious. Meiling grasped onto my shirt before slowly collapsing onto my lap. And it wasn't long before I inhaled the sleeping gas too…

It was pretty dark outside by the time I woke up with my class. I'm not very sure how long exactly I fell asleep for, but what I saw when I lifted my tired eyes made them spring up immediately. I found myself standing in an abandoned classroom without a desk or chair present except for the teachers', and only a single TV set standing in front of the chalkboard. All the other kids were around me, and fortunately they were unharmed. Also, Touya (yes, that no good brother of Sakura's) and his class were with us too. Other than them, there also happened to be a man dressed in black, sitting by the window in the corner of the room. He was about Yukito's height, serious looking, and had scruffy orange hair (gee, my sisters would just pass out if they ever set eyes on him). I'm not sure how that guy or Touya's class got here with us. But that wasn't the thing troubling me, it was the cold metallic ring cuffed around my neck that made me shiver.

Everyone else had one as well. Meiling ran up from behind me and cried out: "Syaoran! What's going on here?!" I wish I knew. Tomoyo, Sakura and the rest of the girls were grouped together, asking each other if they were okay. Eriol was standing next to Yamazaki, listening to him about something he had read somewhere in a book that seemed disturbingly similar to the situation we were in. But Eriol was silent and calm. What was he thinking about?

The military suddenly marched into the room unexpected, scaring half of the crowd out of their pants. They were accompanying our teacher, Mr. Terada, who looked pleased to see every one of us here. Though there was something else brewing in his brain. And he was about to let it out.

He gladly welcomed us all to his island that we were on, outside of Japan. He introduced a new transfer student, named Kiriyama (who with no surprise, was that weirdo sitting by the window I mentioned earlier about). Then he announced to us all that we have been chosen to play in the Battle Royale (or BR for short). None of us knew what this was about. So our teacher played us a little tutorial video on the TV. And as we watched, our faces began to pale.

It was a game in which students had to kill each one another on this uninhabited island and become the last person standing. We were only given three days to accomplish that, and there were more than fifty of us students in the room. This was impossible.

Though that wasn't the whole story. If there were more than one survivor by the end of those three days, then the rings around our necks would be detonated to explode. It was said that these rings were very sensitive, so if anyone attempted to take them off, they would explode instantly. These rings acted to pin point our locations, so if we even tried to escape off this island, our rings would go off as well.

Some of us students who had weak stomachs started throwing up all over the floor, while others plainly laughed bitterly. But this was no joke. Sakura asked Mr. Terada why he was doing this to us. And quite cold-heartedly, this was what he said: "I'm sorry, Sakura. It's out of my control. The BR has picked this school to participate in its system this year."

I can't really describe how everyone was feeling. You'd have to be there to see it for yourself. It was something beyond definition…something that just couldn't be put into words that would explain this bedlam. I could already see Sakura and Tomoyo crying together with the girls, while Meiling was holding onto me, murmuring things she always said to her mother when she was three years old: "Please keep me safe. Please don't leave me. I want to go home." She would this say over and over again beside me.

Mr. Terada told us that everyday in the morning, afternoon and evening, he would announce the names of the students who have been killed. And he would also announce certain areas of this island where it was out of bounds for us to be in (don't ask why, I have no clue), or else our rings would blow up. He would call out each of our names and hand each of us a map of this island and a supply bag packed with food and a random weapon.

So we were named one by one, taking our supplies, and Mr. Terada's soldiers yelled at us to run outside of the building and into the wild. Kiriyama and Eriol were the only candidates who didn't look the least bit frightened, when they were called up. I wondered why…

When I heard Tomoyo Daidouji's name called up, I heard her whisper to her friends and told them: "No matter what happens, we are all good friends. Good friends never kill each other." She walked up to Mr. Terada to receive her things…and threw it aside savagely. After the immediate shock, she fled out of the room, concealing her red face and weeping the way outside. Meiling, Sakura, Naoko, Chiharu, Touya, Yukito, Nakuru, various others…we stepped forward when we heard our names and received what we were given without objection.

Well, that's my story for today. Now I sit here with Meiling, fast asleep on my shoulder. She's been exhausted after making it into this damp cave. It's pretty safe in here. I doubt anyone would be able to find us behind this waterfall. But I don't know where the rest of my class is. I'm guessing a few of them are already dead somewhere at this late hour.

Wow, I didn't realize how long I've been writing to you, and I'm feeling tired myself. So I think I'll go to sleep now (yawn). So long, and let's just pray that things won't turn out as I may imagine…(Sakura, wherever you are, please be okay).

Syaoran Li