Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Cardcaptors: Clow Reed's Mistake ❯ Cardcaptors: To Catch a Dragon-Ch.6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
By Maurynna
Author's Note: Hey everyone! Guess I got at least four reviews or I wouldn't be writing this chapter. Remember, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me, Maurynna_h@hotmail.com. I will only answer questions that have to do with things that have already happened and you didn't understand. I will not answer questions about what is going to happen in the story later, although, you may ask all you like ^_^ Snow_wolf asked a very interesting question in his/her review, unfortunately, I can't answer the question because it pertains to the future of the fic. That, and the fact that I have no idea ^_^;; I will say this though, if I did end up bringing Rage and Sakura together, I'd probably get complaints from S+S fans. But......we'll see *_^
Disclaimer: I do not own Cardcaptors or anything in relation to it, nor am I getting paid for writing this, so don't sue me!
Cardcaptors: To Catch a Dragon-Ch.6
Rage stopped circling, an incredulous look coming over his face. "You want my help?" she has surprised him again, she seemed quite adept at doing so.
Sakura nodded, hoping. He hadn't immediately rejected her idea nor had he laughed in her face. So, she figured she still had a chance. "Yes, I want you to help me get a friend of mine here. Then, I want you to help me get him under control."
Rage studied the sienna haired woman, utterly confused. "I am your enemy. Why would you seek my help for anything? I could kill you now if I so desired."
"Ah, but you wouldn't." Sakura pointed out. Rage's eyes narrowed, thinking she meant he couldn't. Sakura hastened to explain. "Your promise." she reminded. "You said you'd give me three days. The three days aren't up." she smiled slightly. "As to why I seek your help, well, sometimes, one's greatest enemy can be one's greatest ally."
Rage glared at her. "And why should I help you? It is pointless. I may not defeat you now, but someone else would gladly take that pleasure." his polite smile reappeared.
Sakura folded her arms. She licked her lips, a nervous movement she did not even realize making. Rage had, and he mentally smiled. So, she is not as calm as she would have me believe.
"If, if you did this, if you were to help me, I would agree to fight you somewhere, at a certain time and place."
"A duel?"
"Yes!" Sakura jumped at the word, glad he had found a suitable title for it. It sounded better that way.
Rage walked over and leaned against the willow tree Sakura had vacated. His expression was thoughtful. "How would that be any different from me searching you out on my own time?"
"Well," Sakura said, grasping for straws. She was losing him. "It would be easier that way!"
Rage smiled. "Cowards are wont to take the easy path in life. I am no coward."
"I knew this was senseless!" Kero hissed in her ear. "Let's get out of here before he changes his mind, breaks his 'word' and kills you."
"No Kero," she whispered back. "I've got to find a way to get him to agree. Any other plan would take too long and Li doesn't have much time left."
Sakura looked back at Rage to find him studying her through bottomless blue eyes, waiting for her next proposal. Sakura knew the ground under her feet was rapidly disappearing. Oh! What else could she offer him? She would have thought a match, one on one, would have satisfied him. Wasn't that what he wanted anyways? This was just making his goal one step closer. Sakura thought quickly, a million voices buzzing in her head but none giving her the answer she sought. There was nothing she could give him that he could possibly need. She couldn't give up her life to save Li because that would have been pointless. Without her, Li couldn't seal the Clow cards so her death would have been in vain. Sakura's shoulder's slumped as she realized he really wasn't going to help her, that she wouldn't be able to help Li, at least not anytime soon...maybe not ever. Sakura admitted to herself that she'd have to go home. She couldn't save Li, and she couldn't take care of the Clow cards by herself.
Sakura's shoulder's straightened. So what? She'd do the very best she could, and if she never got Li back, she'd seal as many of those Clow cards as possible.....for him. She wouldn't let them get the best of her!
Rage watched as the woman's shoulder's slumped and he realized she must have come to the conclusion that he wasn't going to help her. He was disgusted with her weakness and how easily she gave up, and yet, at the same time, as he watched her dejected form, he had the odd urge to comfort her. He didn't understand why, she was nothing more than a slip of a female, and weak as well. And yet, the more he concentrated on ignoring the ridiculous feeling, the stronger it seemed to get.
He shook his head slightly. No matter. He would not let this interfere with his revenge. He would defeat her, and he would show Clow Reed who, in the end, had come out on top.
He opened his mouth to say something when the woman's shoulder's straightened and her head lifted. Instead of the picture of defeat she had been so portraying not a second before, she was now the model of determination. Her eyes glinted green with purpose and her jaw set stubbornly. Whatever was going through her mind certainly must be of great consequence. Before Rage quite realized what he did, he smiled warmly. A true smile. He quickly wiped it off his face, though, as he realized what he had done, but he could not help the words that came out of his mouth,
"Your name."
Sakura had been about to take Kero's advice and leave when Rage uttered those two words. She blinked, surprised. "What?" she asked, confused.
Rage inclined his head, his mouth set in a straight line, not giving anything away, "What is your name?"
Sakura smiled bitterly. "What's it to you? You won't help me, you don't even like me! Hell, you probably don't even want to be on the same planet as me, so why does such a small thing as my name interest you?"
The area around Rage's mouth became pinched. "I thought it would be only fair, seeing as how you know my name and I have yet to learn yours. Besides," his mouth softened. "I was hoping to make a trade."
Sakura eyed him skeptically. "A trade?" she repeated, suspicious.
Rage nodded slightly, that smile playing about his lips. "Your name for my help."
Sakura looked at him disbelievingly. She could not believe what had just come out of his mouth. Had he just said......"You'll help me?" she whispered.
"For a price," he reminded. "I want to know your name."
Sakura narrowed her eyes, thinking he was up to something. "Why do you want such a little thing as that?"
Rage shrugged, "A name can hold a lot of value. How much does yours hold?" he asked cryptically.
Sakura studied him. What's the big deal? It was only her name, right? Telling him her name in exchange for saving Li was the best deal she could possibly hope for. So why did it feel like she was giving away a lot more? She looked to Kero for assistance.
"Be careful," he advised. "He's right, names have a lot of worth. It's just like when you captured the other Clow cards. You had to find out which ones they were first before you could seal them." he paused. "It's up to you."
Sakura looked back to Rage. "My name? For your help?" he nodded. She was silent for a moment, thinking. What did she have to lose? "Sakura. My name is Sakura Avalon."
Sakura....Rage played the name over in his mind, liking the sound of it. Such a beautiful name fit her perfectly. Rage blinked, not quite sure how that thought had entered his head. Rage didn't like this, his thoughts were becoming dangerous.....
"Why would you need my help to subdue a friend?" he asked quizzically.
Sakura bowed her head and mumbled, "He....isn't quite in his right mind." she said, not wanting to give away the whole situation. She knew he was honourable, but if he got the chance to defeat her, he wouldn't pass it up. She didn't want to give him any information that would give him an advantage over her.
Rage tilted his head, studying her, knowing there was something more. But when she declined to say anything else he let it go. "And how exactly do you wish me to help? Because in my mind, there is only one definition to what you are saying."
Sakura looked at him a long moment, as if she didn't understand him. Perhaps she didn't, for her eyes widened and her mouth formed a perfect O. Then her eyebrows snapped together and Rage felt for all his life as if he was about to be scolded.
His assumption proved right. Sakura lifted her left index finger and shook it back and forth. "Don't you dare hurt him." she warned.
Rage lifted an eyebrow. "Then how exactly do you presume to have me stop him?"
Sakura put her hands on her hips. "Just.....hold him or something. I'll take care of the rest."
Rage looked at her intensely, then slowly shook his head in disappointment. She'd never make a good war general. "And this is what you plan to do?" he asked slowly. She nodded. He smiled wryly, "It is good that you have this all sorted out....for he is here."
"What!?" she nearly shrieked, making his eardrums vibrate. She whirled around just in time to see Li step out of the trees, his sword unsheathed. Li took one look at her and his lips drew back into a snarl. He advanced on her.
Rage's sword came out of his sheath, a keen metallic ring echoing through the woods. He stepped forward towards this new adversary as well. Sakura, unfortunately was stuck in the middle.
"Wait!" she said flinging a hand in the direction of Rage. If she had hoped he would stop she was mistaken. He kept right on coming. Getting over the momentary shock that had caused, Sakura stepped directly into his path. "Let me talk to him first." she said.
Rage took his eyes off Li to glare at Sakura. That look held so much heat that Sakura wondered if she had made a grave mistake. What was wrong?
Rage didn't hesitate in answering the unspoken question for her. "You did not tell me he was also a descendant of Clow Reed." he growled, red rage filled his vision.
Uh-oh, Sakura was in for it now. "You promised to help me." she said staring into his eyes, trying to draw his attention away from the cautiously approaching Li. "If you harm him before the three days are up I will consider it a direct blow to me! You will have broken your word!" she knew she was stretching it there, and she had to wonder, was Rage's honour stronger than his desire for revenge? She hoped so.
Rage stood stone still, his struggle evident in his gaze. Finally, he looked into her eyes. "You will pay for information witheld." he promised.
Sakura walked past him, towards Li, who was still edging cautiously towards her. When it was apparent she was heading towards him, Li darted back, holding his sword in a defensive gesture.
"Done discussing your plans, card?" he asked with contempt. "It doesn't matter. It won't save you."
"Li, it's me, Sakura." she said, holding out her hands in a gesture of peace. "Try to remember."
"I remember," he rasped, desperation edged his gaze. "First, you sent her away, then you killed her. Now you pretend to be her to satisfy your own sick appetite. Well, I can't take it anymore."
"Hurry up Sakura," Kero said, fluttering his wings nearby. "He's not going to listen to reason. You'll have to do this by force."
"But, Kero," said, stalling, "I'm not going to do that until absolutely necessary." she turned her attention to Li. "Look, Li, it's Kero. If I wasn't the real Sakura, I wouldn't have Kero with me would I?" she said reasonably.
Li's sword lowered a notch. He stared at Kero as if he was trying to puzzle out the meaning of life. His sword lowered another notch. Sakura thought she might be making progress, but suddenly, Li's eyes went blank and he looked as if he had joined the dead. Sakura knew that look, he was having a vision, but something told her a vision was being forced upon him.
Rage's hand came to rest on her shoulder abruptly, like a clamp. Sakura looked up at him. "He is not under his own influence." he stated. Rage stared hard at Li, trying to decipher something familiar, yet, elusive. When he figured out what it was his gaze flew back to Sakura's. "Insanity has laid claim to this human. He is under his influence."
"I know." Sakura said.
Rage looked at her incredulously. "You knew?" his eyes narrowed. "Yet another thing you have declined to tell me."
"I didn't think you needed to know." she mumbled.
"I need to know everything I can of a situation. The smallest thing left unattended could kill you." he informed her heatedly.
Sakura was about to reply when she noticed Li's eyes change again. They were back to normal, so to speak. They held a feverish glint in them, and she knew that whatever Insanity had shown Li, it hadn't been good.
"Sakura!" Kero said urgently. Sakura looked to him. Kero, god bless his soul, had took the liberty of looking for the Key of Clow when no one was paying attention to him. He tossed it to her now. She caught it with both hands.
She shook off Rage's hand, which he hadn't removed, and closed her eyes. "Oh, Key of Clow! Power of Magic! Power of Light! Surrender the wand, the force ignite! Release!" the Clow wand appeared in her hands.
Li seemed genuinely shocked by this. He stared at the wand, dumbfounded. Sakura knew he hadn't been expecting that. She held up the wand. "Last chance Li. I really don't want to hurt you, but, I'm going to have to if you don't calm down." she looked him in the eyes. "I am Sakura, your friend. I am alive, and I am Mistress of the Clow cards. The Clow wand should prove it to you."
Li gazed into her eyes until he began shaking. "Impossible." he murmured, more to himself than anyone else. "It can't be, you're dead. Stop plaguing me!" Li took a fighting stance.
"Sakura!" Kero warned.
She was already moving. "Sleep card! Release and dispel! Sleep!" she brought the Clow wand down. The little blue faerie that was Sleep appeared and flew over Li. What happened was not what Sakura was expecting.
Sleep.....didn't affect him. Sleep had flown right over Li, she had seen the powder go straight into his face! Yet, he was still standing there, wide awake. Or was, she corrected herself as Li jumped into the air and brought his sword down, his target herself. She could only stand and watch.
Rage saved her. He picked her up in his arms and jumped with her into a tree. Li's sword hit the ground, finding only earth.
Rage put her down on the branch he was currently standing on. She looked up at him with wide eyes. "It didn't work." she said dumbly, still not able to understand it.
Rage snorted. "Of course it didn't work. Insanity has placed a shield around him. It snapped up as soon as the card was released." he stared at her. "You mean you did not know about it? You did not sense it?"
"Well, obviously not!!" she said, frustrated. "You could have told me!"
Rage smiled slightly. "You did not ask. Call it a small repayment for keeping information from me."
Sakura opened her mouth to yell at him,
"Element! Wind!"
Rage and Sakura jumped out of the tree in opposite directions just before a powerful gust of wind snapped the branch they had been standing on. Rage landed gracefully behind Li, near a small pond, and Sakura did a tumbling roll to the ground, landing just in front of Li. She looked up at him quickly.
"Element! Fire!" he yelled. A burst of fire came speeding towards her.
"Shield!" Sakura quickly screamed. She was encased in a pink bubble a second before Li's fire hit. The stream of flame deflected off the shield harmlessly. But now Li was coming towards her personally, his sword drawn back to strike the bubble surrounding her.
Sakura called back the Shield card and called forth the Sword card. The tip of her Clow wand transformed into a blade. Sakura's sword met Li's halfway. She knew she should go on the attack, stun him, phase him, do something to immobilize him! But she couldn't seem to summon the will power to harm Li in any way. She remained on the defensive, merely deflecting Li's attacks. But Li was no amateur, and he had strength and stamina born of desperation and doubt.
"Li!" Sakura screamed, trying to get through to him once again. His sword came down powerfully over the Clow wand and Sakura felt her whole arm vibrate. "Please! Try to fight it! It's me, Sakura! LI!!" Li's sword came down with inhuman strength and knocked the Clow wand right out of Sakura's hands, knocking her to the ground in the process.
Sakura looked up in horror as Li smiled triumphantly and brought his sword back for the final swing. Sakura saw Rage coming up on Li's right, his eyes blazing. "Enough of this," she heard him say, fairly growl, and he drew back his own sword.
"NO!!" she screamed at him, sure he was going to kill Li.
Rage brought his sword down and gave Li a good clout to the head, with the back of his sword. Li's blade fell from from his limp hands as he slumped to the ground, unconscious.
Sakura looked up at him with wide, vulnerable eyes. "You didn't kill him." she stated obviously.
Rage sheathed his sword. He gave Li a look of disgust before saying, "Of course not. I do not so easily forget my vows." he told her, as if she should have known.
Sakura fell back, straight on her back and gaze up at the sky, emotionally drained. Rage came to stand before her and his visage was soon silhouetted above her against the sky. "Are you injured?" he asked.
"Yes, no, maybe." she replied uselessly. She just wanted to lie there forever. Of course, her dear Guardian Beast had to ruin everything,
He flew over to her and immediately took offense at Rage being so close to his prone Mistress. "Get away from her!" he growled.
Rage gave Kero a look that should have killed him. "I'll do as I please, wizard." he snarled.
"Enough!" Sakura demanded from her position on the ground. "I don't need this right now! Kero I'm fine so get over it. Rage, I'm not going to die so you're still going to get to fight me. So both of you be quiet so I can go to sleep!!" she fairly yelled.
The two males looked at her, complete confusion written on both their faces. Sakura sighed. Men!
After about what she judged to be five minutes, Sakura managed to pull her weary self up and collect her scattered wits. Amazingly, neither Kero nor Rage had opened their mouthed since she had last spoken. Thank god for small miracles. They were just like Tory and Li, they hated each other.
Speaking of Li,.....Sakura looked down at his sprawled form. What was she supposed to do now!? She had gotten him subdued, but not quite how she had hoped. So what was she supposed to do with him? She couldn't bring him home. She could just imagine the look on Dad and Tory's faces when she walked in with an unconscious Li, said, "Just bringing him up to my room where I'll probably have to tie him down so I can get some sense into him," and sauntered up the stairs. Dad would probably have a heart attack, and Tory......well,.....she couldn't imagine what Tory would do.
"Ooh! Where am I going to put him now!?" she thought out loud. Then an idea entered her mind. She smiled suddenly and brilliantly, making both men nervous. "I'll keep him at Madison's!"
Kero immediately went into hysterics. "No way!! When that boy comes to he's going to be flaming mad Sakura! You don't want him around anyone, including yourself. And Madison isn't exactly qualified to handle stuff like this." Kero reminded.
Rage didn't say anything on account of a) he wanted to kill Li himself, b) if he couldn't accomplish a) at the moment, he didn't care what they did with the body, and c) he had no idea who Madison was to begin with.
"Well, where else are we supposed to put him Kero? We can't keep him at my house. There's no where to put him! And no one else knows about this so Madison's our only solution." Sakura argued.
Kero crossed his arms over his chest, seriously peeved. "These last couple ideas you've had have not been to my liking. And now here you go again. But no! Don't take my advice! Bring him to Madison's! But you'll regret it! Not that you care." he grumbled.
Sakura smiled. "Good." then she frowned. "How are we supposed to get him there?"
To be continued............
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Well? You like? I was going to write more in this chapter but, for crying out loud! I'm tired, it's late, and I'm going to bed so I can get up early enough tomorrow to post this. I don't post it now on account that I'm too lazy to. Deal with it! ^_^ Don't forget to review! I could really use some reviews. I haven't been getting many and have only been continuing this for those few people who do review. Guess I'll just have to spice up the summaries a bit <;) So please review. I need as many comments, opinions, questions, as possible. See you next chapter!