Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Cardcaptors: Clow Reed's Mistake ❯ Cardacptors: The Return of an Old Friend-Ch.9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
By Maurynna
Author's Note: I would just like to say that each installment of my chapters will be posted each weekend, and not before. This gives me plenty of time to type up the chapters, and you all happen to be on during the weekend ^_^ That's when I seem to get the most reviews. So, a chapter a week, one every Saturday or Sunday. ^_^;; Sorry if you were hoping for quicker installments, but, that's the way it works. Thank-you for having patience with me and thanks to all of you who have reviewed, I really appreciate it. Don't forget to review this chapter!! Ooh!!! I got such nice reviews for the last one!! I especially liked the ones with the questions!!! ;) There was one in particular that asked about the four strong people that would help Sakura when she battled Insanity. As I said, I can't tell you who they are(since that relates to future events), but, you're going to like it!! I know, because I do!! Ooh!! I can't wait until I get to those chapters! I'll have fun writing those ^_* (clears throat and coughs into hand) God I talk, write, way to much. Time to get on with what you came for to see........ Li dance!!!! 0.o;;; O.K,.....maybe that's what I want to see. He he. What I meant to say was....on with the fic!!!
Disclaimer: I do not own Cardcaptors nor am I getting paid for this. Therefore, it would be unwise to sue me, seeing as how you wouldn't get any money, and I'd counter sue back!! ^_^;;
Cardcaptors: The Return of an Old Friend-Ch.9
Sakura sat down in Madison's chair with a sigh. "You'll look after him, won't you Madison?" she asked.
Madison smiled reassuringly, "Of course I will, Sakura, you can count on me. Just as long as he doesn't go crazy again." she joked half-heartedly.
Sakura just looked at her. "That was sad." she commented.
Madison sighed. "Yeah, well, you try making a joke when you look so depressed."
"I'm not depressed." Sakura protested. Then she yawned. "I'm just tired."
Madison looked at her incredulously. "How can you be tired?"
Sakura closed her eyes, "In case you've forgotten, I've had two very busy days." she frowned. "Or was it three? I can't remember."
Madison giggled. "You're hilarious when you're exhausted."
Sakura's mouth twisted wryly. "Thanks Madison," she said sarcastically.
Kero was staring at Sakura funny. Sensing that someone was watching her, Sakura cracked open an eyelid and was met by Kero's stare. "What?"
Kero looked at her disapprovingly. "Why didn't you tell the Chinese brat about the Rage card?"
That got Sakura's attention. She looked around guiltily. Her gaze settled on Madison, looking for support. She found Madison with her arms crossed, leaning against the wall with a slightly amused look on her face. Sakura sighed, she'd be getting no help from that quarter, it seemed Madison wanted to know the answer just as much as Kero did. She supposed she owed them, she felt guilty for keeping something from Li.
Sakura slumped down in her chair. "Look, I just didn't want to tell Li anything about the Clow cards that might worry him, and trust me, telling Li that a Clow card helped me would not put his mind at ease. And besides, I don't think Li would have anything like a soft spot for the Clow cards now, not that he ever would have before, not after what Insanity did to him. I don't want him hurting Rage when he finds out about him." she finished.
Kero flew to within an inch of Sakura's face. "And why ever not?" he questioned.
Sakura reached up and plucked Kero right out of the air by his tail. "Hey!!!" he yelled, his arms going a mile a minute with his wings. Sakura set him on the coffee table and patted him on the head, like he was a pet, or something. Kero sat there fuming, steam coming out of his ears. "Why did you do that?!?" Madison started laughing in the background.
Sakura gazed at him, an amused smile on her face. "Don't do that." she said.
Kero practically had question marks circling around his head. "Do what?!" he asked frustrated.
"Get that close to my face. It's irritating."
Kero's jaw dropped. A frown formed on his chubby face. "Whatever happened to talking things out!? I've been getting bopped on the head and having my tail pulled!! My rights are being abused!!" he complained.
"And why ever not what?" Sakura asked, completely innocent.
Kero blinked, completely thrown for a loop. "What?"
"You asked me, "Why ever not?", so why ever not what?" she repeated.
Kero just stared at her. Then he shook his head. "This is going to drive me insane." he sighed and looked back at Sakura. "Why not let Li take care of Rage? It would be one less Clow card to worry about." he pointed out reasonably.
Sakura looked down, twiddling her thumbs. How could she explain this to Kero so that he would understand? As far as kero was concerned, all of the new Clow cards should be captured, no matter what. How was she going to explain a......a feeling? to him? that she just didn't understand herself? It just felt as if, as if, she couldn't capture him yet. That she shouldn't. And besides, the thing that made capturing Rage even harder, was the fact that Sakura respected, even admired, him. Oh, she was still very much afraid of him, of what he might and could do, but she still respected him. Those few encounters she'd had with him had made her see just how honourable he was. And how was she going to explain all that to Li?
"Look," Sakura began, "Rage has helped us. I'd think it'd be a little rude to turn around and capture him."
"Well I don't!!" Kero exploded. "And what do you mean he helped us?! He didn't help us. The only reason he assisted with Li was because of his own personal gain. That and the fact that he probably enjoyed hitting the Kid over the head!"
Sakura lifted a hand to her temple. "Kero, just....trust me will you. I know what I'm doing."
Kero got the point and said no more, but he wasn't happy with the outcome, not at all.
At that moment, someone knocked on Madison's door. Sakura looked at Madison questioningly. Madison shrugged, "I don't know. I'm not expecting anyone." she headed for the door.
Sakura got up and headed for the kitchen. "Maybe I should go then? If you have company I'd hate to spoil it." Sakura said to Madison's retreating back.
Madison gave her a funny look. "You don't spoil anything Sakura. Stay, I'll be right back."
"I'll just get a drink from the kitchen." she called. As Sakura walked behind the little wall that separated the kitchen from the living room, she had a distinct feeling she was forgetting something. Or rather......someONE. Sakura poked her head out of the kitchen and looked on in horror at the sight of Kero munching happily on some walnuts he found in a small bowl. She saw Madison reach out a hand to twist the doorknob and Sakura made an all out dash for the coffee table and her troublesome little Guardian Beast. Bits of nuts came flying out of his mouth as Sakura forcefully grabbed him by the middle. He didn't have time to do anything but squeak as Sakura spun around the coffee table, nearly running it over, and ran back into the kitchen.
Home run!!
Sakura set Kero on the counter and bent over, puffing, more from anxiety than because she did any real work. She scowled over at Kero. "You baka! Someone's at the door!"
Kero folded his arms over his chest, looking hurt. "Well I didn't know that! When I found the walnuts I kind of tuned you guys out!"
Sakura sighed. "Sorry Kero."
Just then, she heard Madison open the door and a second later, heard her best friend gasp. Sakura glanced in Kero's direction. He shrugged, indicating he couldn't see who was at the door from his position on the counter. Sakura didn't have to keep guessing long though,
"Tory!" Madison exclaimed. Her heart began racing as she gazed up at her crush. Tory was decked out in a white t-shirt and tight blue jeans. He was wearing a black leather jacket and his hair was mussed from the wind. Madison could have fainted right then and there, straight into his arms. Hey,....that wasn't such a bad idea.....
"Is Sakura here?" Tory inquired. He glanced past Madison curiously, he could have sworn he had heard someone running in here just before Madison had opened the door.
Madison blinked. Oh, right, Sakura. She should have known that would be the only reason he was here. "Yeah," Madison was in a slightly less chipper mood, I guess you could say, "She's in the kitchen." Madison opened her door further and motioned him inside.
Tory took the invitation and strolled into the living room. He stopped and looked down at the bits of nut strewn all over the floor. He straightened back up and turned to face Madison, who's back was to the kitchen, a slight frown on his face.
Madison laughed nervously. "My......my gerbil must have gotten into these!"
"I'm not a gerbil!" Kero hissed from inside the kitchen. He turned to Sakura, "Do I look like a chicken to you?"
Sakura rolled her eyes and placed a hand over Kero's mouth. "Shh!"
"Your....gerbil?" Tory asked skeptically.
"Yeah! I just got the thing and it's always getting into things it's not supposed to." Madison lied quickly.
Tory stood there looking at her for a few moments longer before finally shrugging. "Shouldn't it be in a cage?"
"It needs it's exercise." Madison replied.
The two lapsed into silence. Sakura watched them discretely from the kitchen. She could have smacked Madison. Why wasn't she making an effort to do something, anything? Why was she just standing there? Madison was staring down at her shoes, as nervous as hell. That was to be expected. But what caught Sakura off guard was that Tory seemed nervous as well. A normal person wouldn't be able to tell, but, Sakura had been with Tory since forever! He used to do this whenever he knew he was in for it with Dad. He didn't fidget, or bite his nails, or twiddle his thumbs,...........he ran his fingers through his hair. Not all the way through, just, lightly running his fingertips across the ends of the strands. Sakura perked up. That was a good sign, right? Why would he be nervous if he didn't care? Sakura grinned maybe this wasn't such a hopeless situation after all.
"Sakura! Your brother's here." Madison called from the living room.
Sakura glared at Madison. Was she a fool? She just wasted a perfect opportunity! Fine! She'd just have to do something herself. Sakura looked at where Madison was standing and an idea began forming in her head. She rubbed her hands together evilly. This was going to be good!
Kero, who was now hiding behind the toaster, glanced fearfully at Sakura. Whatever she was up to, he did not want to be a part of it!
Madison was just about to go get Sakura, not being able to stand being alone with Tory for another minute, when Sakura came tearing around the corner. Sakura bumped solidly into Madison, sending he reeling backwards, and into Tory. Tory's arms came up steady her. They both glanced at each other and blushed. Then Tory glared daggers at Sakura,
"What were you doing?"
Sakura had a big, innocent grin on her face and her eyes were lit up with stars. She looked for all the world like the cat who ate the canary. "I'm sorry Madison, I didn't see you." meaning, she had.
Madison shrugged, "It's O.K, no harm done."
Sakura's grin got wider. She glanced from Madison to Tory, and back again. "I know."
Madison blushed and pulled out of Tory's hold. He let her go.
"So,....." Sakura asked, completely proud of herself. "What are you here for Tory?"
Tory blinked, the only indication that he'd heard her. Then, clearing his throat, he said, "You didn't tell Dad where you were going."
Sakura crossed her arms. "What are you? My keeper? I don't always have to tell you where I'm going, I'm all grown up you know."
Tory narrowed his eyes at her. "I know that, Squirt. But after what happened in the park we like to know where you're going."
Sakura sighed. "All right, I'm sorry. Next time I'll try and tell you where I'm going, but don't bet on it." Tory opened his mouth, to protest no doubt. She held up a hand. "Take it or leave it. Now, that can't only be why you're here?"
Tory shook his head. He headed for the door. "You've got to come home now." he said.
Sakura placed her hands on her hips. "Excuse me?"
Tory glanced back over his shoulder at her, his hand on the knob. "The reason why I'm here is at home. If you want to see the surprise, you've got to come with me, Squirt."
Sakura perked up a bit. She loved surprises. She ran into the kitchen and grabbed Kero, very gently this time, so that he wouldn't feel 'abused' and headed back into the living room. "See you later Madison." Sakura hugged her best friend. As she did so, she whispered into her ear, "Don't forget about Li." and then she pulled back.
Madison smiled and nodded. She waved to Sakura as she left.
From the doorway, Tory said quietly, "Good-bye Madison." and he left.
Madison blinked. "Bye." and she smiled.
~
Sakura and Tory headed down the hallway to the elevator. Tory glanced down at Kero. "What is it with you and that thing? You carry it around like you were afraid it would get up and walk away when you weren't looking."
Sakura glanced down at Kero who was limp and lifeless in her fist. "You'd be surprised." she murmured. The her head snapped up. "What's wrong with Kero?" she asked hotly, ready to defend her friend.
"Well, for starters, he's a stuffed animal and you're a grown woman. Ever think about that?" he asked off hand.
Sakura stuck her tongue out at him. "Yeah, your incessant teasing has driven me insane and now I am forced to rely on inanimate objects as friends for no one else will talk to me and it's all your fault."
Tory raised an eyebrow. "Creative." he commented.
Sakura grinned. "Thanks." they reached the elevator and Tory pushed the down button. "So what's the surprise?" she asked anxiously.
Tory glanced at her. "Not what, who."
Sakura was confused. "What do you mean 'who'?"
The elevator dinged and the door opened. Tory looked into Sakura's eyes. "Yukito's back." and he stepped into the elevator.
Sakura stood there, dumbfounded. Yukito was back. She used to idolize Yukito, and she loved hanging around with him. He was so easy to get along with, and he was always smiling. He was one of her closest friends. A year ago, her brother had written her, telling her that Yukito had gone to the deep forests of Japan, looking for 'priceless antiques' as he called them. Tory had said he didn't know when Yukito would be back, nor had Yukito, but Tory said he didn't think Yukito would be back for a while.
She couldn't wait to see him again. But of course, there was something she was forgetting,
Kero tapped her on the hand. She looked down at him and he mouthed one word,
Yue
Sakura nodded. She stepped into the elevator. "Did he say how long he was staying?" she asked idly.
Tory shrugged. "He didn't say. I got the impression that he isn't leaving tomorrow, if that's what you're asking."
"No, I bet he's not." Sakura murmured.
Tory gave her a sidelong glance. "It was weird though," Sakura looked at him nervously. Did he suspect something? "I mean, he's the same old Yukito, cheery, can eat for two, and kind as hell, but, he seemed most adamant in seeing you. I know he doesn't mind you, Squirt, and seriously, I don't know how he puts up with you," Sakura elbowed him in the ribs. "Oof! But," he glared her way. Sakura stared at the ceiling. "But, it seemed like he really wanted to talk to you. I can't imagine why."
Sakura stared at Kero's reflection in the elevator door. He nodded the slightest bit.
Yue.
~
Sakura rushed past her front door and into her house. "Dad! I'm home!" she walked into the living room just as two men were standing up from the couch. One was her father, the other........
"Yukito," Sakura breathed. He looked very much the same as he had the last time she had seen him. Taller, yes, and he had gotten rid of those god awful clothes that he used to wear. You know, the ones that made him look like he was a boy scout? Other than that, he did look very much the same, but, a little older, more weathered if you will.
"Sakura?"
Sakura was across the room and into his arms before another word could be spoken. "It's so good to see you again." she said happily.
Tory, who had come in right after Sakura, leaned in and whispered to his father, "How come we never got a greeting like that?"
Mr.Avalon patted Tory's shoulder. "We're family, son. That changes everything."
Sakura and Yukito parted, grinning at each other. He reached out and gently touched her hair, "Your hair, it's different. Longer."
Sakura raised a hand self consciously. "Do you like it? I neglected to cut it for the longest time and then when I finally realized it needed cutting, I had grown to like it."
"No, no it's very nice." he smiled that gentle smile of his. "You've changed quite a bit. I almost didn't recognize you."
Tory came by and his arm 'casually' encircled Yukito's shoulders. "Come on, it's around dinner time. We can talk, catch up, while we eat."
Sakura grinned as she watched them go.
~
"Tory, help me clear the table." Mr.Avalon said.
"Actually Dad, I'd rather not." Tory replied.
Mr.Avalon gave him a look. "That wasn't a request."
Sighing, Tory stood up and began clearing the dishes away.
Sakura had her gaze fixed on Yukito, who was currently leaning back in his chair. He had eaten more than all of them had and if Sakura knew Yukito, he'd be asking for dessert soon. The whole family had talked during the meal, mostly talking about Yukito and his work. It appears that Yukito does some kind of excavating, but in old caves that were created a long time ago. He said he searched for clues from the past, whether they're artifacts or bones or fossils. He doesn't know why he choose to do do such a thing at first, but after a while, he grew comfortable with what he did.
But he still hadn't explained why he was here. It's not like Sakura was complaining! because she wasn't, but, it just seemed a little odd that he would choose this point in time to have a visit,
"Yukito?"
"Yes, Sakura?" he asked kindly, a small smile on his face.
"Why are you here? I mean, I'm glad that you are, just, why are you here now?" Sakura winced a bit. "I know that might have been a bit rude, but,........"
Yukito quickly raised his hand. "No. Don't worry about it Sakura. You see, that's something I've been wondering at myself." Yukito leaned forward in his chair, which caused Sakura to lean forward in hers. "It's rather hard to explain, and when I saw you I thought I might be able to figure it out, but," Yukito shrugged, looking apologetic. "All of a sudden, on one of my digs, I had this strange urge to see you. I can't explain it. Every time I tried to push the feeling away, it would only get stronger. It was like something was drawing me back here, almost like someone was saying, "Go to Sakura, go to Sakura," over and over, non-stop." Yukito looked sheepish. "I know that probably doesn't make any sense." he apologized.
Kero, who was back in the dreadful jean short pocket, poked Sakura insistently.
"I know!" she hissed at him under her breath.
"Get him alone!" Kero hissed back.
Sakura smiled brightly. "Yukito? Would you like to go for a walk?"
"A walk?" he echoed blankly, completely thrown off by the abrupt subject change.
"Yes, a walk. I thought we could continue this in the nice evening air." Sakura stood up.
Yukito hastened to stand up as well. "Yes, of course. That would be nice."
Even though it was getting dark, Sakura didn't go for a coat. It was still summer and much too warm to be wearing jackets. Of course tell that to Tory,
"Dad! Yukito and I are going for a walk! We won't be gone long!" Sakura called from the doorway.
"All right, but don't be gone long." Mr.Avalon replied.
Tory's head popped out into the hallway. "I think I'll go with you." he said.
Sakura sweatdropped. Oh yeah, Tory. "Actually, Tory, I kind of wanted it to be just me and Yukito."
"Tory! Let them go alone. You had time to talk with Yukito when he got here before dinner, give Sakura a chance." Mr.Avalon advised.
Tory sighed. "Yes, Dad."
Sakura grinned at her brother's distress, stuck home washing dishes. "Come on Yukito!" she said brightly.
The two headed out into the evening, both for two different reasons. Yukito thought they were mearly going to talk, but Sakura had a very special destination in mind. The penguin slide. All of the kids would be inside by now and it should be fairly deserted.
Perfect.
They walked in silence for most of the way. Just when the slide came into view, Yukito asked, "Where are we going?"
"Just up here. To the Penguin slide." she shrugged. "I find it relaxing." she explained.
Yukito nodded, needing no more explanation, trusting her completely.
They reached the slide and Sakura headed for a bench nearby. She took a seat and Yukito sat beside her. Sakura glanced down at her shorts pocket and mouthed "Now what?"
Kero mouthed back "Sleep."
It took Sakura a few moments to grasp what it was he meant. When she did, she immediately went to work. "Oh! Um...Yukito?" he looked over at her. "I seem to have dropped my earring back there somewhere." she seriously hoped he didn't notice the fact that she wasn't wearing earrings, or that her ears weren't even pierced. "I'm going to go look for it."
Yukito began to get up. "Do you want any help?"
Sakura quickly pushed him back down. "No, no that's all right. You just sit right here, I'll be right back." with that, Sakura began walking about the path as if searching for something. As soon as she rounded a corner, and was out of Yukito's sight, she pulled Kero out of her pocket.
"You brought the Key of Clow with you didn't you?" he asked.
"Of course I did. I haven't taken it off since I used it against Li."
"Good. I want you to use the Sleep card and put Yukito asleep." Kero explained.
"Why?" Sakura looked perplexed.
"Because, Yue cannot transform when his other form is awake. If he tried, the process would be painful and extremely draining." Kero explained patiently.
"Oh," Sakura said simply. She closed her eyes. "Oh, Key of Clow, Power of Magic! Power of Light! Surrender the wand, the force ignite! Release!" the Clow wand appeared in her hands. "Sleep card! Put Yukito to sleep! Release!"
The little blue faerie of sleep quickly flew towards her target. Sakura rushed after her. By the time Sakura got there, Yukito was already passed out on the bench. She recalled the Sleep card. "Now what?" she asked Kero. "Do I just wait?"
Kero shook his head. "No. You're his Mistress, Sakura, you have to call him."
"Call him?" Sakura asked, not understanding.
"Just repeat after me," Kero reassured, "Oh, Guardian of the Moon, I do so call upon thee, in my time of need, your help required. I, Sakura Avalon, Mistress of the cards, call thee forth."
Sakura gulped. She had never done this before. Well, here it goes, "Oh, Guardian of the Moon, I do so call upon thee, in my time of need, your help required. I, Sakura Avalon, Mistress of the cards, call thee forth!"
Immediately, the seal of the Clow cards appeared a little off to the right, just beside the bench. Yukito floated towards it, still unconscious. When he reached the centre, large white wings sprouted from his back and proceeded to envelope him in a glowing radiance. Sakura gasped, awestruck. She had only ever seen this once before, and she knew no matter how many times she did see it, she would never tire of it.
The wings parted, and in their midst, stood a figure in white. The wings stretched out to their full height and quivered. The man with the long white hair opened his white, fathomless eyes, and peered straight into Sakura's soul,
"Sakura.."
"Yue.."
To be continued!!
___________________________________________________________ _______________________________________
Oh my god! It's done! I got this chapter done!! Yay! You see, I've been rather ill all week and haven't had a chance to do any typing. It's sad really!! Anyways, hope you like this chapter, the next one should be out around the weekend, hopefully. So, keep an eye out!! Remember to review!! Any questions, comments, or anything else, ANYTHING, you might like to add, don't hesitate!! See you all next chapter!!!