Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Cardcaptors: Clow Reed's Mistake ❯ Cardcaptors: The Truth Comes Out-Ch.22 ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
By Maurynna
Author's Note: Okay!...first off...don't kill me!!!!! ^_^a I KNOW it's been more than a week, and I'm sorry about that, but you have absolutely NO idea how busy I've been. To sum it up...I wrote my exams, then was admitted into the hospital for three days and didn't do anything but sleep in bed and almost go out of my mind from boredom, THEN! as soon as I got out, I ended up packing(did I mention I was moving?) and helped my Dad move stuff out of the house...which I am still doing. Now, NOW! I can't even get on the Internet to post this because my Dad took the phone with him to the new place(I'm still in my old house right at this moment) and the phone here(my Mom's) isn't working yet! Therefore...no modem...no Internet. Anyways... you probably don't care about any of that and only want to get on with the fic, but I felt bad about not getting a chance to post this sooner and felt the need to explain. So there's the explanation. ^_^ However! to make up for my tardiness! I'm going to post TWO!(maybe three...we'll see how far I get ~.^) chapters, instead of one! Be happy people!! Skip this next bit if you like ...^_^ I'm going to start my ramblings right now...
Ack! I feel so bad about Famine! I rather liked him, it's a pity I didn't write him into the story more...but he was one of those here-now-and-gone-in-an-instant characters that you just gotta have. *sigh* I liked Famine. But hey! Everything ended up working out for him...sort of. ;P
Oh! I just HAVE to mention this, Chelsea! Okay...this is something I just have to tell all of you guys. Okay, you know those three little words, Verata Noctus Feramus?, the ones I took from the top of my head? Well...I got a review from Chelsea and she was demanding to know what those words translated to from Latin. Now...I'm completely language illiterate...meaning I can only speak English ^_^a...and have no idea how to speak, write, or understand Latin. However, Chelsea does, and she kindly informed me that my little phrase actually meant something! Imagine that!? I accidentally created a, sort of, real string of words there. Loosely, it means to carry or bare into the night. Verata is a feminine thing, so that pertains to Sakura...SO... it sort of means that Sakura was carried, or transported! into the night! slipping through the glass and into the air to end up on the other side! Boy!...That was a complete stroke of...dare I say it?...genius? *Rage whacks me over the head with the hilt of his sword, shrinking my oversized head back down to size.* Hehe...anyways...I just had to mention that. I really want to thank you Chelsea, for telling me this. You have no idea how much grinning I did when I read what you had to say about this! Thank you. ^_________^
*scratches back of head and looks bewildered* Guess what? You know how long the last chapter was, right? Of course you do...how could you NOT? Well...I found out, and I never would have ever known this if it wasn't for Shadowfire, that chapter twenty-one was TWENTY-EIGHT pages long! Holy cow! Wow...^_^a I thought you should know.
Kitty and Enchantress101...I WILL do what you both asked, I swear! just...I need a bit more time! Please don't think I'm ignoring you!...'cause I'm not!
Yes Ashandarei, ~.^ Famine is the Diamond. Your question about Rage will be answered later in the chapter...I think. Hehe... haven't written it yet!
Sanrio...um...your suggestion is certainly something to consider...however, I have no desire to turn this into a Romeo/Juliet type thing. And yes...you are quite evil. ;p
I am so going to have to read the MOUSE's Dimensions...some of you keep mentioning it. It must be pretty good. *sigh* when I find the time, that's another thing I'll have to do. (there is never enough time! >.<)
Something important you all should know!!! Okay, I got a review from someone who asked when I was going to use the Forgotten Sakura captured to battle the Forgotten that haven't been captured yet. I just want to make this clear right now...that is not going to happen. You see, as soon as Sakura released the Forgotten, they'd immediately either try to kill her, or escape and come back later when they were better prepared and kill her then. The Forgotten are not like the Clow cards. Sakura is bonded to the Clow cards in friendship and they trust and look after her. The Forgotten feel no kindness towards her and would not obey her if she tried to use them, just like they rebelled against Clow Reed centuries before. The only exception, however, would be Famine, who doesn't feel any malice towards Sakura at all and could quite possibly be considered her friend. But...I don't know if I'm going to have Sakura use him like that. Sakura would never ORDER Famine to do anything for her, she would ask, and she would even feel awkward doing that. Even if she did ask, Famine would regretfully decline. Why? Because, even though he's not a bad guy, he still feels like he owes the Forgotten because they are his Kind, and he would not betray them...nor would he help them. He's kind of like a neutral player. So, I just want everyone to understand that no Forgotten will be used to battle the other Forgotten...except where Rage is concerned. ^_^ But we'll get to that...
Oh...and about Kero, Yue, and Rage...well...*looks around nervously* let's just say, the conversation between them and Sakura isn't going to be what you're expecting...or hoping for. *ducks for cover under desk and takes keyboard with me, wary of stray readers* ...You'll see.
Disclaimer: I do not own Cardcaptors, nor do I claim to. I am not getting paid for this so please do not sue me.
Warning: Rage, Love, Famine, War, Disease, Death, Hate, and Insanity belong to ME. If anyone trys to take them, I WILL come for you! So be wary. If you WOULD like to use them, ask me first, and we'll see. Also, the other five Forgotten that I have yet to bring in are also mine...and I'll list them when they appear. ^_^
Cardcaptors: The Truth Comes Out-Ch.22
Sakura stood up awkwardly and dusted herself off. Ignoring the four males, who were all standing now, Sakura picked up her bag and the Time card, wringing out the moment of complete amazement coming from the guys out of sheer wickedness. Opening the bag more slowly than necessary, Sakura placed War and Famine inside it with the other Clow cards.
Finally finished torturing them, Sakura turned to the group, smiled, and said, "So...how have things been while I was gone?"
All four sweatdropped, having expected some sort of grand explanation and tale to go along with Sakura's reappearance. Kero flew towards her and circled her person, looking for injuries. Finding none, he asked, "Sakura...where have you been? What happened? We've...Yue and I...have been very worried about you!"
Sakura stared at him for a moment. "...what do you mean, 'where have I been?' Don't you know?"
Kero frowned in puzzlement for a moment. "Well, we had determined that you'd gone back in time. You have Rage to thank for that," Kero said grudgingly. "and, judging from your dress, I can guess the time period now, but no, I don't know where you've been. How could I?"
Sakura knew she was gaping like a fish. "Don't you remember!?"
"What are you talking about, Sakura?" Kero asked, completely in the dark.
Sakura threw up her hands in complete consternation. "I don't believe this! Oh! This just figures. But I don't understand it...how could you guys not remember? You were all there...except Love." a sudden image of Clow Reed's grinning face appeared in Sakura's head and she scowled. "...Not good to know too much about one's future." she muttered to herself. "He erased your memories! I don't know how...maybe he used the Erase card...but that's what he did! He completely blocked me out of your heads!"
"Are you saying you were in the past and that you interacted with us?" Kero asked incredulously.
Rage didn't say anything or move, but his eyes were troubled.
"Yes! If you wanted to know, Clow Reed brought me back through time. He needed me to seal the War card. I can't believe he erased your memories!" Sakura suddenly exploded again.
"So it was Clow." Yue murmured thoughtfully. "That makes sense."
Love arched an eyebrow. "Yeah...except for the fact that time travel is impossible, so says Clow Reed himself."
Yue shrugged slightly. "Clow knew many things that we did not." he said simply.
Love was silent for a moment, then, "So...none of you three remember anything about seeing or speaking with the lovely lady here?" everyone shook their heads. Love smiled, "I find that immensely funny." he proclaimed. "Especially since I can remember you guys talking about seeing her in the past yourselves. You don't remember remembering that?"
"This is not funny, Love." Rage said quietly.
"Yeah, well...what I want to know, is why Clow Reed would do that? Wouldn't it have been easier if we, especially you two," he meant Yue and Kero, "Knew about Sakura beforehand, so you could have been prepared when you first met in this time?"
Sakura shook her head and sighed. "No...Clow Reed wouldn't want them to know. Especially not them. Who knows how the extra knowledge might have changed the way Kero or Yue were to react to me? Clow Reed wanted to make sure everything happened exactly as it was supposed to."
"As much as I would have liked to remember all of this..." Kero jumped in. "I don't. You've gotta tell me everything that happened Sakura." Yue nodded silently, just as curious as Kero.
Looking back and forth between the four of them, all wanting to know what had happened, Sakura sat down, getting ready for a long story...
After she was finished, Sakura sat back and regarded everyone. Kero and Yue both looked like they were in deep thought. Love hadn't been too interested in the whole affair, his face a polite mask of boredom, until Sakura told her bit about Rage. It seemed like Love began to listen then...especially when she recalled the part about kicking him-not mentioning Clow Reed. When she had described that, Love's face had abruptly become tight, like he was in pain, and he made a slight choking sound. When Rage stared at him, Love quickly brought a hand up and covered his mouth, but not before Sakura saw the grin. Sakura fought her own smile...watching Love hold in his laughter was rather comical. Rage had been listening intently throughout the entire thing. Sakura noticed that he tensed a bit when his part in the story was told, but when she moved on to other things, he visibly relaxed. Now, he looked extremely relieved about something...and Sakura had no doubt about what...
He didn't want the fact that he had been 'friends' with Clow Reed known.
Well...he may have thought he'd gotten off Scot free, but Sakura planned on having a nice, long talk with him afterwards. She was just too damn curious to leave his past alone. There were too many unanswered questions.
"Well...I'm just glad you came out of this unharmed." Kero said, breaking the silence. Then, "But I didn't like that bit about War. You say he meant to seal you in a Sleep spell for all Eternity?!"
Sakura nodded, her lips pinched, remembering how scared she had been.
"It is over, and that is what matters." Yue said matter-of-factly.
Sakura nodded, but she felt like something was off. Looking around, she blinked once, then frowned in puzzlement.
"What is the matter, Sakura?" Rage asked gently.
Sakura leveled her gaze on the group. "Where's Li and Madison?"
Sakura found it highly amusing and very scary when every single one of them decided the leaves on the trees over her head were extremely interesting, none of them looking her in the face. She waited patiently, really hoping she wouldn't have to ask again. Had something happened to Li or Madison?
Kero cleared his throat. "Well...the Chinese brat," Sakura glared at him for the degrading name, and, instead of ignoring her like he normally would have, Kero corrected himself, which put warning bells in Sakura's ringing. He was trying to placate her... this was not good. "...Li...went to his apartment to see if he could gather any information to help us figure out a way to get you back-which we obviously don't need anymore-and Madison..." Kero hesitated.
Sakura's eyes narrowed in suspicion and worry. "What about Madison?"
Love, who had no such qualms in coming right out with it, said, "She went off with your brother." not even turning his head to see what he was doing, Rage slapped the back of Love's head lightly, as if he was saying, 'What's the matter with you?' Love rubbed the back of his head and smiled ruefully at Rage, who continued to ignore him.
Sakura just stared. Slowly, as if figuring out a huge puzzle, Sakura said, "Madison went to my house to see Tory?"
Love shook his head. "No...Tory was here." before Rage's hand could connect with his head again, Love scrambled backward and out of reach, grinning.
"He was...here?" Sakura repeated, feeling very much like a parrot.
Kero sighed. "He knows, Sakura."
"But...how...?" this was not good, this was not good...
"I can only guess that he followed you, Mistress." Yue supplied helpfully. Then, embarassed, said, "I should have sensed him coming."
All of a sudden, Sakura burst out laughing. The males stared at her, completely at a loss. Rage exchanged a glance with Kero, who shrugged. Sakura stopped laughing as suddenly as she'd started and looked, completely sober, at the four of them. "I was just picturing the look on Tory's face when he caught a glimpse of you guys." normally, she wouldn't have laughed, but when you were worried, your emotions got away with you. "...How DID he take it?" actually, Sakura was secretly relieved that Tory knew. It had been such a trial to keep lying to him about Kero, and about where she went all the time, and about those odd bruises every now and then. Of course...she would have to use the Erase card to wipe his mind of the last little while in time...Sakura mentally scowled at that. She did NOT want to do to her brother what Clow Reed had done to Kero, Rage, and Yue.
"He...ah...didn't believe us at first." Kero said slowly. "But, he eventually got the picture." he left out the part about Rage raising his sword against Tory. "He wants to talk to you." Kero stated.
"I can imagine." Sakura murmured. "Does he know...did he know I went back in time?"
Kero hung his head. "Yes."
Sakura sighed. Pushing Tory to the back her mind...one problem at a time...Sakura looked at Kero, "Have any of the other Forgotten shown themselves while I was away?" she asked, glancing in Rage's direction for a millisecond.
Kero shook his head.
"Good...I don't need anything else to worry about. Does anyone else have any questions for me?" no one said anything. "In that case, I want to go home." sighing again, suddenly tired, Sakura said, "Yue, you'd better get back to the room Yukito's in before someone misses you. Kero? Do me a favour and find Madison and tell her that I'm okay, and tell Tory I'll be by to speak with him in a moment. And find Li, too, and tell him I'm back."
Kero and Yue made to leave and do what Sakura asked. Rage stood up himself and looked like he was going to do the same thing. Tilting her head back and looking into Rage's face, Sakura said, "You stay. I need to talk to you...alone."
Rage stiffened. Kero immediately went into hysterics and started to protest. "Kero...this is important. Please do what I asked you to." Sakura said, not taking her eyes from Rage.
Kero hung about in indecision for a few moments before he cast one last look at Sakura's determined face and floated off. Yue followed after him. Love, who had been hovering just behind Rage, looked at him questioningly. Rage nodded his head ever so slightly and Love shrugged. Then he disappeared.
Turning to Sakura, Rage smiled slightly and rested his hand near his sword. "You wanted me alone, and now you have me. What is it you wish to say to me?"
Rage's calm exterior didn't fool Sakura. Rage was wary and nervous, not sure at all why Sakura wanted to talk to him. Sakura knew it, and he knew it. Not bothering to get up, Sakura came right out with it, adopting Clow's way of approaching difficult situations, "You served Clow Reed."
~
Rage felt like he'd just been doused with a bucket of cold water. She knew. He had half suspected she did, but the surprise of having someone else say that out loud after all these centuries was a little much.
"Didn't you?"
Rage looked down at the seated Sakura, his lips pinched, trying to decide what he should tell her. He couldn't lie...that was something people like Disease did...but he shouldn't tell her the truth either. He really wished Clow Reed hadn't erased his memory of their encounter together in the past, he could be so much more prepared than he was now if he could just remember.
Sitting down across from Sakura abruptly, Rage studied her silently for a moment. It occured to him that the gown she was wearing looked extremely fetching on her. He realized he would prefer to see her in the gowns of his time more often, they suited her. Rage sighed mentally. His mind was wandering down dangerous paths again. He wasn't angry anymore, just resigned to his fate. He had accepted the fact that he couldn't stop thinking about Sakura, and he had accepted the fact that he loved her. Now that he was past that...all he had to do was win her...without appearing to care one wit about her. Rage pictured himself smiling ferally over that little observation, but didn't dare actually do it. He didn't want to scare Sakura.
"Yes," he finally answered. "I served under Clow Reed. Is there something you wanted to know?" Rage asked politely. He had intended to just brush her off and leave, not wanting to talk about this at all, old wounds reopening.
Surprisingly, instead of asking why he served the sorcerer or why he hadn't told anyone, she asked, "Does Love know?"
Rage blinked, then collecting himself, said, "Yes, towards the end when we had become...friends...I confided in him. At the time," he mused, "I thought I had made a colossal mistake." the amusement only lasted a moment, though, before he sunk back into a painful depression.
Sakura was silent for a moment. Then she asked, "How do you know Yue?"
Rage was taken aback by this, her questions not at all what he thought they would be. "Yue?" he repeated, thinking furiously. Why does she want to know this? Surely if she had been wondering about it, she could have asked the Moon Guardian himself.
"Yes, Yue. I know you guys fought in the past. I want the details, what happened afterwards...and why you wouldn't fight back when you two fought yesterday." she went on mercilessly.
Rage flinched back. Telling all was not something he was used to doing. He had been open with Clow Reed and he had betrayed him. Sharing information was bad and got you nowhere...it just gave the other person an opening to shove a knife into.
"Come on, Rage." Sakura said gently, patiently, seeing the struggle going on in Rage's eyes. "You can trust me, honest."
Do not look at her, do not look in to her eyes or you will be lost...Ignoring his inner voice, Rage looked into Sakura's sea green eyes against his will. Idiot! Rage began speaking before he quite realized he'd opened his mouth. "Yue...saved my life once." Sakura's eyes went round as saucers. "I could not harm him that day, I owed him a life debt, which, if he had chosen to call upon that day, I would have fullfilled."
"He...saved your life?" Sakura asked incredulously. "But I thought he knew nothing about you and Clow Reed!"
"He did not...not until our battle." Rage admitted.
"Then...if he thought you were an enemy...why did he save your life? How did he save your life?" oh boy...this was too good.
Rage smiled at Sakura's obvious curiousity, but there was no humour behind it. "It was a very long time ago, but I shall never forget. I was on the battlefield, fighting and killing Insanity's little minions, but Yue did not know this...he thought I had been fighting with the monsters..."
~*~Flashback~*~
Rage pulled his sword from a particularly nasty little demon and wiped his hand across his brow, dispelling the sweat but smearing blood along his forehead. He sensed movement from behind him and whirled around, impaling another one of the creatures on his blade which dripped with life blood. The Dark Ones(the little demons' names ^_^) were all around him. They were not, thank God, very powerful, their goal being a village under Clow Reed's protection and, therefore, not needing much Magic or strength to get the job done. Rage sneered. Attacking mortals that could not defend themselves was just disgusting. Their numbers were great, and if they had been Blood Knights instead of Dark Ones, Rage might have been worried. As it was, it took not much effort on his part to dispel the demons.
Rage's sword slashed down and took the head off another demon, the body falling lifeless to the ground. Rage took a risk and looked about him quickly. As he had thought, Insanity himself was not here. That was a pity, Rage would have liked to have had a chance to take an arm or a leg off the card. But then, Insanity had always preferred to get others to do his dirty work for him.
Rage spied a small group of about seven or eight demons coming at him at once. Not liking the odds, he lifted his hand and a white stream of Magic burst forth and flew towards the creatures, hitting them and freezing them almost instantly. Leaping over the nearest bunch of Dark Ones, Rage came down upon the block of ice and smashed it to pieces with a well placed kick. Whirling around once more, he swung his sword in a great arc and disemboweled three more little pests, their stomachs falling out of their bodies and tumbling to the ground in shades of red and black.
Looking about, Rage saw a field full of dead demons, but no live ones. Then he looked behind him and cursed his ill luck. Five of the troublesome creatures had managed to make it past him without his noticing and were almost upon the village. Getting ready to sprint after them, Rage murmured, "Oh no you don't."
But before he could get to them, he looked up, more out of instinct than because he sensed anything, and quickly leaped back. His speed and the speed of the one coming at him from out of the sky was so great that Rage only had time to register the fact that it carried a sword and that it shone brighter then the moon in the sky. Crouching down warily, Rage looked up into the face of the...angel?
Rage was struck utterly speechless as the apparation before him spread his wings fully, looking quite formidable, even to Rage, and raised his sword. The ceremonial robes he wore could only suggest he was a Wizard, and as Rage studied him, he realized that, even though he was sure he'd never seen this one before, he looked familiar. And then he realized why. He had heard the angel described enough times that he should have known. This was Yue, Moon Guardian, and Clow Reed's protector.
The surprise and shock of that revelation had Rage held immobile...and almost cost him his life. Rage may have known Yue was an ally, but Yue did not, and wasted no time in standing around. He came at Rage with his sword and Rage was barely able to bring his sword up in time to block a blow that would have taken his head off his shoulders. Rage rose to a standing position and prepared to defend himself only, his mind in chaos. He could not harm the Moon Guardian, Clow Reed would be terribly disappointed, but he also could not afford to stand here and play fight with him...the village was in danger.
These thoughts were soon wiped clear from his head, though, as the angel progressed to almost get through Rage's defense, and Rage's attention sharpened. He revised what he had thought, this was no play fight...Yue knew how to fight, and, much to Rage's surprise, he knew how to fight very well. Almost, he thought, as well as me. His pride from all the years of undefeated victories would not allow him to consider the possibility that Yue might possibly be as good as he was.
Soon, he was too caught up in the battle and forgot all about the town. He realized he was smiling the smile he smiled when he had a particularly hard challenge to overcome. The smile where his teeth showed and made him look like a demon himself, he'd been told, compliments of Love. He saw the look on Yue's face and realized he was startled. Rage's smile widened...this was too much fun.
Rage, experimenting, came at Yue with all he had, startling the angel enough that he took two steps back. Smile positively feral, Rage swung his sword and got the desired effect he was going for. With a swish, the band holding Yue's hair together was cut in two and the silver strands came free, falling about his shoulders. Yue stared at Rage in shock. Saluting him, Rage murmured, "En Garde." (is that how you spell that? ^_^a I'm not French)
That was when the screaming began. Rage whirled around, hair flowing out behind him, completely oblivious to Yue now... even though he knew turning your back on your opponent was a sure way to die. The demons had reached the village and were creating havoc among the people, throwing little fireballs everywhere and laughing their little hearts out. Cursing his own stupidity, Rage abruptly abandoned the fight and sprinted towards the town, not looking back to see if Yue followed.
Entering the village in a dead run, Rage went straight for the closest demon, not slowing down one bit. He slashed with the blade and now there were two halves of a demon. He ignored the screaming, panicked people around him and searched for the other four demons. It wasn't easy to find them, they were small and could easily run between a person's legs. Pushing the people out of his way, Rage managed to locate and slay three of the other demons...but that still left the fifth.
Rage stopped where he was, breathing heavily, looking around with still eyes, trying to see the beast. He couldn't let even one of those creatures escape and report back to Insanity. If Insanity found out that Rage was the one who had been slaying his precious demons, if he found out Rage was on the side of Clow Reed, then Rage could kiss his undercover act good bye. Not to mention the fact that all of the others would be out for his blood...
Ah! There!...Rage had spotted the last demon, standing not too far away, leaning on it's little staff. Rage took a step forward but stopped, frowning. Something wasn't right. It was just standing there...why wasn't it trying to get away? Then it smiled devilishly and Rage was instantly on guard. Lifting the staff, the little demon howled and ground the weapon back into the Earth, sending a ripple of motion surging towards one of the houses. Completely thrown, Rage looked towards the house and wondered what the hell the demon thought it was doing. What Rage saw had his anger burning beyond cold and and worry surging up through his veins.
The little earthquake created by the demon had the walls of the house shaking, the beginnings of the Magic only just reaching the place. But, sitting just inside the open doorway, crying her little eyes out, holding a stuffed teddy bear in both arms, was a child.
Rage looked back at the demon and saw the look of glee on it's face, thinking it now had time to get away while Rage rescued the infant. Rage smiled at it, sending the smirk right off it's face. If it thought he didn't have time to slay it before it's Magic reached the house fully...it was mistaken. Moving as fast as his unnatural abilities allowed, Rage raced towards the now terrified creature and slew it. Then, turning on his heel and sheathing his sword in one motion, he raced back for the house. He ran all the faster as the walls began to crumble. Even though he shouldn't be able to think right now, one completely cool and calm thought ran through his head...why doesn't she move!?
Just as the walls toppled, Rage flew through the doorway and grabbed the girl, doing a tumbling roll once he had her. Not being able to get out of the house before it went, Rage simply curled up in a fetal position, the girl completely shielded from harm, and ducked his head down low.
Then there was nothing but pain and darkness.
The next time Rage saw light, it was painful to behold and he scrunched his eyelids closed even more, trying to block it out. The weight on top of him was unbearable and there was something painful throbbing in his side. He didn't know what it was and didn't think he wanted to know. The little girl beneath him was still alive, he could hear and feel her breathing. He smiled slightly, something sticky running from his temple, as he thought that this sure would have been a hell of a lot to go through for nothing.
The weight, suddenly, miraculously disappeared. Then his arms were pried open from their death grip on the girl and she was taken away from him. That was good...she could go back to her parents...assuming they still lived. Rage kept his eyes closed still, content to die right where he was...didn't much feel like moving anyway....but that light kept getting brighter and more insistent. Rage snarled at it, thoroughly annoyed. "Will you not let me die in peace!?" he demanded.
To Rage's utter surprise...the light answered him, "No...I will not." then he was being lifted by strong arms, they had to be, he was pretty big, Rage mused, and he felt like he was being carried somewhere. His head lolled on what felt like a shoulder, and the light asked, "Can you open your eyes?"
"No...afraid not." Rage replied glibly. He was going to die after all...might as well make the most of it. Which reminded him... Love owed him money for that. Love had gotten him to make a bet on whether or not their kind could die...guess Love lost. When Rage saw him in the afterworld, the place named Hell most likely, he'd remind him of their bet.
Rage hissed in pain abruptly as he felt like he was surging upward, the pain in his side increasing. "I am sorry," the light said. "I tried to take off as gently as I could."
Rage almost shrugged, then thought better of it. "No matter. I suppose, then, that I must be going to heaven, if we're going up. But that's odd, I really shouldn't be there, you know. If you're an angel of Death...I think you've got the wrong patient here."
When the light spoke next, it sounded amused. "You are delirious." it informed him.
Rage sighed. "What gave it away?"
They flew the rest of the way in silence, the only sound the flap flap of the angel's wings, and Rage thought it surely was a long journey to heaven.
Rage braced himself as best he could when he felt the angel of Death beginning to land...bit it still hurt like hell. The angel set him down as gently as possible so that Rage was lying flat on his back. Then he heard the sound of tearing as the angel ripped his shirt open. Rage wasn't lucid enough to wonder, if he were dying, why then, would he need his shirt removed? Then a hand touched that pain in his side, and, purely out of reflex, eyes still closed, Rage's hand shot up and closed around a wrist like a vice.
"I will not harm you." the angel said gently, making no move to pull away even though Rage knew he was hurting him. Releasing the wrist abruptly, he let his hand fall back on his chest and waited to see what was going to happen.
The angel didn't move for a moment, but then both of his hands were at Rage's side once more and Rage restrained himself from trying to push the touch away. Rage held his breath in pain as the hands explored gently, probing for something. Again, not being completely himself, Rage didn't know what was going on. Then, the hands moved from his side and were suddenly at his head. Brushing Rage's white hair back from his forehead, the angel lightly traced the outline of that sticky residue coming from his temple.
"I will take care of this first," the light informed him matter-of-factly. "as it is less serious and will not require much Magic. Your side is much more serious and I would like to leave the worst for last."
Then, Rage felt a tingling along his head and through his skull as the angel set a palm flat against the side of his head. Rage recognized immediately that Magic was being used upon him. It took him another second to realize it was a healing spell.
When the palm was removed from his temple, Rage found he could open his eyes. He found himself staring up into Yue's face, silver hair hanging about his face in disarray. "I should have figured you were a real angel," Rage murmured. Yue's gaze flicked to Rage's face for a moment before he looked back to the other wound, but that had been enough time for Rage to see the silver cat eyes. "What marvelous eyes." he whispered, not thinking.
Yue stared at him for a moment before muttering something under his breath that Rage didn't quite hear. Then his hands were at his side again and the pain distracted Rage enough so that he could not think. Rage watched as a pure, white light surrounded Yue's hands and he felt the tingling along his nerves again. He watched, expression never changing, as the nasty gash in his side slowly closed.
When Yue was finished, he removed his hands and sat back. He hunched his shoulders and brought his wings forward, almost hidden from view, breathing heavily. Rage, mind now devoid of the all consuming pain, sat up slowly. Felling more like himself, he touched the spot on his side where the wound used to be...not even a scar...
"I thank you." Rage said quietly, not looking at Yue. He decided to forget about his absurd behaviour earlier and blame it on the pain.
Yue nodded slightly and said nothing. Then his eyes narrowed slightly and Rage was again fascinated by his eyes(I'm sorry... but I have this obsession with Yue's eyes. *_* I think they're simply wonderful *sigh* cat eyes...), "Who are you?" Yue asked.
Rage smiled slightly. "I think you know who I am."
Yue frowned. "You are the Rage card...but that was not what I meant."
Rage sighed. "I know."
"Why did you help them?" Yue asked suddenly, referring to the villagers. "And all of the slain...they were your doing. Why would you battle the minions of one of your own?"
Rage looked straight into Yue's eyes. "You were not supposed to find out this way. He was supposed to tell you when he thought it was the right time, although, with him, that could be a millennia from now." Yue blinked, puzzled. Rage frowned, trying to decide if telling Yue the truth was a good idea...but...Yue had saved his life, and Rage respected him as a swordsman, an honour he bestowed upon no one else. This was but a small thing Yue asked, surely he could supply an answer. If Yue wanted to talk to the sorcerer about this chance encounter, then so be it. But, unless brought up by Yue himself, Rage was not going to mention it to Clow, "I am not as I seem. I serve your sorcerer, Clow Reed, and have never switched allegiances from the start."
To say Yue was surprised was an understatement. "Why did he not say anything?" Yue wondered out loud, his tone sounding a little hurt.
Rage shrugged. "To keep things simple? To make sure no one else knew so that this secret could never leak to the others? Who knows? Who knows why that sorcerer does anything."
Yue remained silent, brooding.
Rage, feeling like he should say something, said, "Do not feel sorrowful about this. Clow Reed keeps secrets from everyone."
Yue looked up at him, silent still, his pupils narrowed to tiny slits. "I know this...you are right. I am...fine."
"Sure you are." Rage said dryly, heaving himself up off the ground. Changing the subject, Rage said seriously, "I owe you a life debt, Guardian of the Moon. You have saved my life, and if there is anything I can ever do for you, just ask it. I swear upon my honour."
Yue stood as well, his wings unfurling from his back. "Thank you for saving the village. I could not have gotten there on time." Yue admitted.
Rage shrugged. "No matter." he turned around and began walking away. Looking over his shoulder, he smiled slightly, "Whenever you are in the mood for a good fight, seek me out. Your skill in swords is passing fair and I must duel you again." not waiting for an answer, Rage continued on.
~*~End Flashback~*~
Sakura sat back, satisfied, finally knowing just what happened when Rage and Yue had first met. "Did you ever duel again?" Sakura asked curiously.
Rage smiled slightly. "Yes."
"Who won?"
"It was a draw. Although...if we were to fight again, I am sure I could best him." Rage said with conviction.
Sakura grinned at him. Then she sobered as she remembered the other thing she wanted to talk about. "Rage...why do you hate Clow Reed so much?"
Rage hissed and jumped up and away from Sakura as if she'd burned him. Sakura kept her eyes glued to him though, willing him to speak. Rage glared at her, determined this time not to be drawn into her eyes. "You are walking very dangerous ground." Rage informed her quietly.
"I'm willing to take that risk." Sakura informed him. Then, curiousity getting the better of her, Sakura said, "Whatever he did can't be as bad as all that. You were allies for crying out loud. Clow Reed would never do anything to make you hate him so much if you didn't deserve it." she added the last bit in as an afterthought.
The look on Rage's face made Sakura wish she'd never opened her big mouth...curiousity killed the cat, you know. "You think so? And what could you possibly know?" Rage sneered, suddenly angry. Abruptly, he began pacing back and forth, agitated. "Why must you pry? Why can you not just leave it alone?" he cried.
Sakura looked up at him in concern, "Rage..."
"You have not a clue how that sorcerer betrayed me!" he raged. The anger was plain to see in his eyes and made them glitter. "I had served him loyally for all those years...and then does something like that." caught up in his own painful memories, he didn't bother to explain what he was referring to.
Sakura stood warily, not sure what to do or how to calm Rage down. She was beginning to think this wasn't such a good idea, "Rage, you don't have to..."
"Oh, but you wanted to know, know with all that human curiousity. Very well...you wish to know what your perfect, pure Clow Reed did..." Rage stopped pacing and stood utterly still, just staring at her.
Sakura would have thought the absence of Rage's pacing would have been a relief, but, somehow, this stillness was worse.
Angry with Sakura, angry with Clow Reed, and angry at himself for remembering and letting himself be hurt by it, Rage said, "Clow Reed trapped me, for centuries, in that God forsaken labyrinth with those foul creatures. Discarded...and forgotten."
Sakura stared at him, completely at a loss for words. There was no way...Sakura couldn't believe what he'd just said. "But... that's impossible...Clow Reed would never do something like that." Sakura said with conviction.
Rage's face became blank. "Do you accuse me of lying?"
"N-no! It's just..." Sakura didn't know what to say. The fact that Clow Reed could have done something so...wrong...was unfathomable, but, it was fact. Rage had broken free with the others, and he certainly hadn't willingly gone into that place himself. What possible reason could Clow Reed have for doing that?
"What? Is it so hard to believe that Clow Reed hated me as much as he hated the others? That I was, after all, just another one of his pawns, like those fool Wizards? Well...it is not so hard to believe, for it happened." he paused and looked at Sakura in a way that made her back up a step. Following her, Rage said quietly, "You are just like him. You hate me because I am not human. You think you are better than I am, that I am not fit to be on the same level as you. That is it...is it not?"
Sakura's back bumped into a tree trunk and Sakura felt completely lost. This was not going well... "Rage...please..."
"I have been trying to kill you ever since I met you! And every time you have managed to get away from my grasp." narrowing his eyes, he gripped his sword. "I WILL have my revenge, he owes me more than he could ever pay. Perhaps, if I kill you and the other one, my pain will leave me."
Sakura didn't say anything, just kept looking at him, waiting. She felt, oddly, that if she moved a muscle, Rage would spring at her...sort of like a wild animal. So she stayed still, just staring at him.
Rage stood impossibly still, staring unblinkingly into Sakura's eyes, for what seemed like forever. Then, he frowned in extreme consternation and his eyes flickered. "Oh, bloody hell!" he exploded, and then he leaned forward and kissed her.
To be continued...
__________________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Oi! o_oa This complicates things...heh...aren't you guys glad I'm putting out the next chapter right away? Don't forget to review for this one!