Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Cardcaptors: Clow Reed's Mistake ❯ Cardcaptors: Despair-Ch.24 ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
By Maurynna
Author's Note: Well...I hope you're all happy! Yes, yes...I knew you'd all been waiting for the romance...I'm not dense! Although...I may seem like I am sometimes. ~_^ And, there's more romance to come! But don't expect much, because, as much as I hate to admit it...writing romance is not my strong point. I'm more of a...suspence/action/angst? sort of writer? Hmm...I guess that's right. So...when the romance does come...bear with me, please. And, yes, I did mean Love. Love is in love with Rage. *sniff* It's so sad!!...and yet...so perfect! ;P So, if there are any people in here with less than open minds about that stuff then you can leave. However, that would be a shame. Besides, I won't go into any heavy Yaoi or anything. There will be Shonen-ai in later chapters, I imagine, and there will be mention of it in this chapter. I thought I should warn you. Other than that...there's really nothing, in my opinion, to get your knickers in a knot. ~.^
Okay, now that we've dispensed with the serious stuff, down to the fun stuff! ^_^ I'll try to keep it short, as, even I know, my notes are abominably long. Okay...~*~Starlight Princess~*~ I'm glad you liked the scene with Rage and Sakura, and I'm sorry I had to dash your moment of happiness with the next chapter. ;_; *sniff* Poor Rage. Thank you Suzaku ^.^ for wishing me a happy house warming! Ashandarei...*smiles sweetly*...you think I was soft in the last chapter, ne? Wee~ll...*smiles wickedly* I'll have to do something particularly nasty to prove you wrong (don't worry, I still luv ya!). And I have just the thing...all of you should be quaking in your boots!...shoes, slippers, socks, etc. You know what I mean! This won't happen until the last card, but, it'll be a smash! Ooh! You guys are so gonna kill me! ;) Well Shadowfire, I think that, if they don't get their butts moving, those episodes aren't going to be worth watching. However...I've been a bit naughty. You see...I've seen the Final Judgement (it's great, by the way!) but I haven't seen the other episodes right before it. ^_^a I know, I know...it's not like I MEANT to skip that far ahead, it's just,...*wails*...Yue's too hard to resist!! ~.^ ~*~Sakura-chan~*~...of COURSE I wouldn't cut Rage out of the fic!! That's just...just...it's unthinkable!! ~.^ You're right, though, the story just wouldn't be the same without him. No CreatiStar(and I'm still going to call you that so nah nah to your friend! ^_^a) it wasn't very serious, at least, I don't think it was. I'm fine now. To be honest, I really have no idea what it is I caught, but it was vicious for a bit, there. It's odd though...because I NEVER get sick, and I'm not over exaggerating!! Heh...maybe all the viruses caught up to me...all at once! ^_^ But, no worries. And, yes, I am moving, have moved...I'm in the bloody house right now! ^_^a Oh... and I don't think you talk too much in your reviews. ^_^ I like long reviews, and I do love reading yours. One last thing, I promise...thank you for worrying about me Creati-chan!! *sniff* I'm okay!
Disclaimer: I do not own Cardcaptors, nor do I claim to. I am not gettting paid for this so please do not sue me.
Warning: Rage, Love, Famine, War, Disease, Death, Hate, Insanity, and Despair belong to ME. If anyone tries to take them, I WILL come for you! So be wary. If you would like to use them, ask me first and we'll see. Also, the four other Forgotten that I have yet to bring in are also mine...and I'll list them when they appear. ^_^
Cardcaptors: Despair-Ch.24 (Can you tell I reeeaallly thought about the title for this one? :P)
Sakura and Tory were in the elevator, just having said good bye to Madison a few seconds ago. Sakura had glanced at the clock in Madison's kitchen before she left, and had been surprised to see it was eight o'clock. Sakura guessed that, with all the talking she, Tory, and Madison had done, and then having to retell her story again, hours must have passed without her noticing.
So now, here she was, ready to go home. As soon as she got in the door she planned on going straight to bed...she so deserved a century of sleep! But, unfortunately, there were things she had to do. Like, calling Yue for example. She had to talk to him about Clow and Rage. And then, there was the more pressing matter Sakura was worrying about right now, something that was nagging at the back of her mind.
Resigning herself to it, Sakura asked, "Tory?"
He glanced down quickly at her, but didn't turn towards her. "What is it, Squirt?"
Sakura bit her lip, thinking about how to put this. "What do you think...about me being a Cardcaptor, and all?"
Tory did turn his head this time, and gave her a quizzical look. "What do I think? Well...it'll take some getting used to, I admit. And then, there's the thing that really bothers me...that fact that you're always in constant danger. That's one thing I'm never going to get used to." he grumbled.
Sakura looked up at him for a few moments in silence, her face completely serious. Tory eyed her curiously. What was she thinking? "Tory...?" she started, hesitating. "What would you say, if I could make you forget all this? If I could take all the worry associated with the knowledge that I'm a Cardcaptor and get rid of it?"
"What are you talking about?" Tory asked slowly.
Sakura turned to face him fully. "Tory, I can make you forget all of this. I can use something called the Erase card, and I can erase your memory of the last little while." Sakura paused at his wide-eyed look. Ducking her head, she said, "It might make things easier. Everything could go back to being the way they were before. You wouldn't have to deal with this."
Tory stared at her for a few seconds before he went back to staring at the elevator doors, not saying anything. Sakura eyed him worriedly, wondering what was going through his head. Finally, he looked at Sakura from the corner of his eye. "As much as I could do without the worry, Squirt, I wouldn't go back to way things were before for anything, no offense." when he saw Sakura didn't understand, he went on to explain, "I don't want to go back to constant suspicion on my part, of always knowing something was wrong, but never knowing quite what. The NOT knowing would be worse than the knowing." he confessed.
Sakura turned back to the front, secretly relieved that Tory didn't want to forget. Sakura would have hated doing that to him... and he was right, him not knowing was far worse, in Sakura's opinion, then knowing.
~
"Dad's not back from work yet, Squirt, so I'll tell him you're back when I see him." Tory said as soon as they got in the door.
Sakura's eyes went huge, "Don't tell me Dad knows, too!"
Tory shook his head, heading for the stairs and the safety of his room. "No, but I had to tell him something. Didn't know how long you'd be gone. I told him you went to Madison's for a sleep over. Guess I'll have to think up something later to tell him why you're not there." and then Tory disappeared into his room, closing the door.
Sakura sighed in relief. Going up the stairs two at a time, Sakura soon reached her own room and opened the door. "Kero! I'm home!"
No answer.
Sakura frowned. That was odd. Usually at this time of day, Kero would be eating or playing video games. Feeling like something was wrong, Sakura took slow steps into the room, looking this way and that for her missing Guardian. "Kero?" she called again softly.
That's when she saw him, spread out on her bed, and snoring his head off. Smiling ruefully to herself and feeling like a fool for worrying over nothing, Sakura went towards the bed and looked down at the sleeping Beast of the Seal. Then something occurred to her that had her smile disappear off her face...Kero wouldn't be sleeping right now. Even though he would never admit it, he worried about her. He would have waited for her to get back to make sure she did, and then he would have questioned her mercilessly about what happened when she spoke with Tory. Nothing would have gotten him to go to sleep for the world...and yet...here he was, snoring away.
Sakura suddenly heard her door close behind her and she whirled around, her heart racing for a reason Sakura hadn't identified. That's when she saw who was paying her a visit and Sakura wanted to relax...except, her body wasn't listening to her and it just ended up tensing up in alarm instead.
Love took his hand from her door and brought it down to his side. He looked as roguish as usual, but his facial expression was what made Sakura pause and had her guard up. It was...intense...that was really the only word that occurred to Sakura. It was like he was completely focused on something, incensed.
"Love...what are you doing here?" Sakura asked. She mentally winced though, when her voice came out sounding small.
That's when Love began to walk slowly towards her, his expression never changing. Sakura began backing up, suddenly feeling claustrophobic in her own room. She fumbled with the front of her shirt, trying to get the Key of Clow from around her neck. She wasn't sure if she was going to use it, she really didn't want to, but she had no idea what Love's intentions were. She didn't get the chance to worry anymore about it, though, as when Love reached her, his hand shot out and tore the chain the Key was on from around her neck and flung it behind him to land on the bed beside Kero.
Taking another step forward so that he was uncomfortably close to Sakura, he stood stock still and stared down at her, that same look still on his face. Fighting the urge to flinch back from him, even though Sakura didn't know where she'd go, she instead looked up at Love unblinkingly, and asked, "What do you want, Love?"
He remained silent for about two more seconds, which seemed like forever, and then suddenly said, "Do you truly love him? Would you spend your life with him? Would the feelings you have for him fade with time as false feelings often do? Would you be content with no other and never regret the decision you make? Never?"
The unexpected questions had Sakura's head spinning...especially since she had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, "Who? Who do you mean?"
"Li Syaoran." Love said quietly.
Sakura felt like she'd been hit by a ton of bricks. How had he known? But, more importantly, why was he here asking about this? "I...I don't know." Sakura whispered, too much to think about at once.
What looked like a sneer, and would probably be the closest thing to it Sakura would ever see from Love, passed across his face. "How can you not know?"
Sakura frowned, annoyed. "Because I can't. This is to important to just make a decision on at the snap of your fingers. Besides," Sakura added, "I'm not like you, Love, my specialty isn't the feeling itself."
From the look on his face, it looked like Sakura had struck a nerve there, but before she could figure out just what she had said, he was speaking again, "If you truly love him, you will know." he said firmly.
Sakura looked down at her feet and said nothing, thinking. That seemed to be the way of it...if you truly love someone...didn't you just know it? But, Sakura's just recently discovered feelings for Li were just that...new. She was still getting used to them. And, besides, love was a complicated thing and not something to pass over quickly. So, the question was, did she love Li? She liked him, but there was a difference, wasn't there?
She thought about all the times she and Li had been together, remembered the safeness she felt when around him. Then she remembered the new, stronger feelings she had started having about him lately. She remembered how warm and safe she'd felt in his arms. Then she remembered the rightness, the inexplicable feeling that said she belonged in those arms and nowhere else. And then that word popped into her head again, the word that had first made an appearance back at Li's apartment...soultwin. And then another word followed that one, love. Sakura had to admit...the thought of being with Li, being more than just friends, just Cardcaptors, gave her a warm, fuzzy feeling.
"I-I think I do." Sakura said, wonder in her voice. This was the actual first time she had admitted it. "Yes," she said, conviction in her voice, "Yes, yes I do love him."
Just when Sakura was beginning to feel good, Love had to go and confuse the hell out of her again, "Then tell him. Sakura, you must tell him the truth, make him see. It is much better to cause him a small amount of pain now, then to break his heart later." Love said empathetically.
Sakura eyed him like he'd gone mad. "What are you talking about? I would never break Li's heart."
Love shook his head. "Not Li...Rage."
Sakura's mouth dropped open...and would have kept falling until it hit the carpet, she was sure, if it could have. "W-what? How did you...?" a thought occurred to her. "Rage told you?"
Love drew back abruptly, and sat down on her bed. "He...wasn't going to tell me, at first, but I sort of...got it out of him." then he got that intense look on his face again and asked, "You will tell him? You won't make him suffer?"
Sakura shook her head, trying to get her thoughts in order, 'cause she really didn't understand. "I-I guess I will. But...why are you so concerned about this? Why are Rage's feelings so important to you?" Sakura felt like she was on to something here... she just didn't know what.
Love ducked his head suddenly, and, if Sakura hadn't known any better, she would have said he was suddenly...shy? embarrassed? He mumbled something under his breath and Sakura leaned in to hear him better, "What was that?"
Love looked up and Sakura backed up a step, intimidated by the fierce hazel eyes glaring at her. "I love him. Does that satisfy your curiousity?!" after nearly yelling that statement out, he abruptly lowered his head into his hands and let out a moan, as if he'd just let out a secret no one should know about.
Sakura blinked. That was all she was capable of at the moment. Love...loved Rage? This was something she hadn't been expecting, besides, she'd always pictured Love as a sort of...ladies man. But, that was okay, wasn't it? So...he loves Rage, so what? In truth, Sakura thought they got along rather marvelously...when Rage didn't look like he wanted to kill him because Love was pestering him. Sakura mentally smirked. But, no, they honestly did look good together, especially with all those waves of hair they had. Sakura sighed...she liked men with long hair (who doesn't? ~.^) but she preferred HER man's hair short.
"Well...that's good." she said, for lack of anything else to say.
Love looked up at her sharply. "Good? You think this is GOOD!" Love stopped abruptly, as if just realizing he had raised his voice. Continuing on, quietly this time, he said, "This is absolutely horrible!" he said miserably.
Sakura stared at him, at a loss, "I don't understand." she said hesitantly.
Love chuckled, but it sounded bitter and frayed. "A relationship between myself and Rage would never work. The first reason why is obvious...he's infatuated with YOU," at this, Love sounded rather jealous of Sakura. He quickly took that emotion out of his voice and face. "The second reason is, if he ever found out, he'd kill me."
Sakura abruptly plopped down on her dresser, sitting across from Love. "But...why?"
"All those years..." Love muttered to himself, "I chased after the girls. Everyone suspected it was because I was having myself a good old time, but, really, I was searching. I, the LOVE card, was searching for love itself. Imagine the surprise, when, when I find it, it is with another man." Love sighed. "What would Rage think of me? It is said that loving another of the same gender is wrong, but I do not care. Unfortunately, we have lived in the time when that sort of thing was scorned terribly, so I do not know what Rage would think...but I do not think it would be good."
"How long?" Sakura asked gently, her composure finally returning.
Love didn't need an explanation. "Hundreds of years, do not ask for specifics, for it has been too long to remember exactly when, but I have loved him for centuries."
"And he never KNEW?" Sakura asked incredulously.
Love gave her a look as if to ask, 'Look who's talking'. Then he sighed wistfully. "No, I have kept my true feelings hidden from him very well, I think. He has never asked me about it, or given me cause to suspect he suspects." he buried his head in his hands again, "Being around him for all those years, trapped with him in that cavern, it was sheer hell to be around him. But I could not pull myself away, I could not force myself to leave him. He was like my lifeline, and if I left, I would die."
Sakura frowned thoughtfully. "But, if you told him...he might not..."
Love sprang up from his seat, his eyes wild. "No! No...he might not...I could not..." he began pacing. "If he rejected me, if he looked upon me with disgust and sent me away...being with him and his ignorance would be a thousand times better than to have him hate me."
"Oh, Love." Sakura sighed, genuinely sympathetic towards him. Trying one last time, she said, "I think telling him would be better than keeping it a secret until you actually do die."
Love leveled a stare on her, "You mean, like how you plan to tell Li Syaoran you love him?"
Sakura blushed, "Yes, well, I'll tell him...eventually. I just, want ot make sure I don't ruin our friendship."
"That is it exactly." Love whispered, but he didn't mean her and Syaoran. Looking around Sakura's room suddenly, he blinked, as if just realizing he was here. "I must go." he said abruptly. "Rage will wonder, and, alas, I cannot seem to lie to him. So, if he asked me where I was, and I told him, he would be more than suspicious."
"Well...good luck, I guess." Sakura said quietly.
Love lowered his head. "And you, My Lady. Remember what I said, tell Rage that yours is an eternal love...and cannot be broken. I do not want him hurt." and then he teleported out, leaving that pink afterglow behind.
Kero, who had been snoring, abruptly stopped. Blinking open his eyes, he looked around and asked, "Where's my pudding?"
Sakura sighed and rolled her eyes, trying not to laugh at him. So...Kero's odd sleep had been Love's doing. Sakura hopped down from her desk and strode over to the bed. "I didn't get home on time to get you any pudding."
Yawning, Kero said, "Oh." then he looked around like he was missing something. "Uh...did anything happen while I was taking a nap?"
Sakura didn't giggle...but she so wanted to. "No...nothing important." okay...that was a bit of a fib. Sakura suddenly remembered that she wanted to talk to Kero. "Hey! Guess what?"
Kero smiled, Sakura's sudden excitement getting the better of him. "What?"
Sakura rushed over to her bed and ruffled through her bag quickly, pulling out Clow's book and showing it to Kero proudly. "I can do Magic now. Well..." Sakura added as an afterthought. "I think I can...I haven't actually tried anything yet."
Kero just stared at her, mouth hanging open.
Sakura giggled, enjoying the look of complete and utter shock on Kero's face...seeing as how she'd probably never get to see a look quite like that again. "I forgot to tell you, when I was with Clow Reed...he did...something...to my mind. I'm not sure what, or how it works, but, he assures me now that what was keeping me from successfully doing anything Magical has now been removed! Isn't that great Kero?"
It took two seconds for this information to actually work it's way in to Kero's head. Then he jumped up from the bed, and with his customary enthusiasm, cheered, "Al~right!!" after doing that until he seemed satisfied, he settled himself down on Sakura's dresser with a wide smile. "This is great Sakura! Forgot, you say? Hmpf...what a thing to forget!"
Sakura flushed a little. "Well...with all the other things that happened...capturing War...I kind of, missed that part of the story. I was more concerned with the main events." she confessed.
Kero waved his arm in a dismissive gesture. "Okay, okay, it doesn't matter! Ooh! I can picture it now! We can start your training tonight, Sakura, and then, in about...two, maybe three, weeks, you'll be an acceptable novice. In about...oh...twenty or so years from now...you'll be one hell of a sorceress!" Kero said, completely absorbed in his own little world.
Sakura held up both hands in a defensive gesture and laughed. "Whoa! Hold it, Kero. Don't get carried away here. Besides, like I said, I'm not a hundred percent sure yet. And, even though I know you're excited...we can't start anything tonight."
Kero's smile abruptly vanished from his face. "And why, pray tell, not?" he asked in that tone that suggested what he wanted to do was right and what Sakura wanted to do was just plain foolishness.
"Well..." Sakura said dryly, amused, "I'm tired, Kero, I need a good night's sleep. And, two, I have to talk to Yue."
That caught Kero's attention. "Why? Is something up?"
Sakura hesitated. It's not that she didn't want to tell Kero, or that she didn't trust him, it was only that it had been so obvious that Rage hadn't wanted anyone to know about his relationship with Clow. He wouldn't admit it...but it hurt too much to even remember...and he didn't need a certain Guardian Beast poking around him night and day, constantly asking questions until either Rage went mad...or he blasted Kero into the next dimension. Choice number two seemed like the most obvious one, knowing Rage. She could talk to Yue about him because, well, Yue already knew...and she suspected he could shed some light on the whole situation.
Starting off slowly, trying to pick her words carefully, Sakura began, "It's sort of...a personal matter. Look Kero, I would never dream of leaving you out of anything, but, this is something that only Yue can help me with. Please," she pleaded gently, "Don't be mad, and don't worry. It's nothing danger related." she assured him.
Kero was watching her skeptically, wondering what Yue could possibly help her with that he could not. He was a little hurt, he could admit it, he was HER Guardian, after all. But then, so was Yue. But Kero was her friend, too. Smiling reassuringly at her, Kero said, "Okay...but no funny business! If I have to come out there and seperate you two, I will!" he joked.
Sakura laughed. "I don't doubt it."
Turning so that her back was to Kero and she was facing the window, Sakura sent a silent summons to Yue. Okay...maybe that wasn't the right way to put it. Would Sakura ever have liked to be able to contact Yue telepathically, like Clow seemed to be able to do in the past when he called Kero to him. But, the fact of the matter was...she couldn't. So, playing on a hunch, Sakura just sort of...sent her emotions out as powerfully as she could. Yue seemed to be able to know when Sakura was in trouble or was distressed, right? So, Sakura thought that he might be able to sense her emotions in some way, and that, if she felt enough longing for him to be here, he'd pick up on it and come to her.
Sakura smiled inwardly. Of course...it was just a hunch, and Yue might not come at all.
"Kero, I'll be out on the roof." Sakura said, climbing out her window and grabbing onto the eavesdrop and heaving herself up and over the top. She needed to be in private with Yue, and Sakura did like coming out late at night somtimes to lay on her roof and just look at the stars. (Whaaat??? ^.~ Okay...so I like to climb up onto my roof and just sit there, watching the sky, or just whatever's going on around me. And, yes, doing that at night is so very nice. ^__^ I have a VERY clear view of the stars. *shrugs* I don't know why I like doing that...it's a quirk I have. I just like being up there. ^.^ I think it's safe to say I don't have a fear of heights)
Sakura waited, sitting with her knees bent and her hands hanging off them. She watched the darkening sky with sharp eyes, waiting for a speck of white to appear...There! Off to the left, a small speck in the sky, getting closer. Sakura watched as the dot got close enough and she could determine quite clearly it was Yue...well...she already knew it was Yue...the wings kind of gave him away.
Yue settled down gracefully on the roof, not too close to her. He was being cautious, he didn't want the wind from his wings to disturb her perch and accidentally send her tumbling over the edge.
Spreading his wings wide to balance himself, Yue folded his hands, and they disappeared up his robes...much like Clow's did when he stood like that. Looking Sakura over quickly, Yue frowned slightly when she appeared to be completely fine. "You called me, Mistress, what's wrong?"
Sakura stood up quickly, which made Yue cringe inwardly in worry, and smiled, "Nothing's wrong, Yue. I just want to talk to you about something."
Yue bowed his head respectfully and Sakura took a seat once more. Yue did the same, not having to sit on air here, as the roof sloped down on either side and he could rest his wings comfortably on both sides of him. "I will tell you all I know, Mistress."
Sakura, taking on more of Clow's way of doing things, rushed right in without hesitating...she found it was easier to get things out that way, "I want to know about Rage."
Yue's expression was startled for a moment, before his face became shuttered slightly. Sakura knew he didn't want to betray Rage's trust, but she also knew he'd tell her if she asked. "What, precisely, would you wish to know?"
"Well...I don't want his life story, though that would be nice, I only want one particular event in time." Sakura leaned forward and peered into Yue's face. "I know you don't want to betray his honour, Yue, but...I already know he fought on the side of Clow Reed."
The look of shock on Yue's face mirrored the look he had given her centuries before when he had found out she was not a whore, but was, in fact, Clow's Reed's descendant. The look quickly faded, though, and a look of concentration appeared on his face. "How did you find out?"
"Well..." and this time, Sakura did hedge. It's not like she had LIED or anything...she only...omitted the part about Rage and Clow Reed from her tale of what transpired in the past. "When I went back in time, I met Rage, as I told you. But what I didn't tell you, was that I met him when he was with Clow Reed." Sakura smiled wryly. "I don't think Clow Reed had wanted me to know about Rage, but, well, I wouldn't be put off. We got to talking, and Clow Reed told me about him and Rage." Sakura shrugged. "And then, of course, there's the fact that Rage himself confessed to it when I confronted him earlier today about it."
Yue smiled slightly, "So that is why you wanted him to stay behind." he murmured thoughtfully. Sakura nodded. Yue's mood seemed to lighten. "Then, you know the thing Rage wanted kept a secret, so I do not have any reservations about telling you what you wish to know. Now, what event in history were you referring to? What is it you want to know?"
Again with the straight forwardness, "I want to know why Clow Reed trapped him in that cavern with those other monsters for a millennia."
Yue flinched back slightly, not having expected this. He quickly got over his surprise, though, but the sadness, the regret the question brought on, were very much visible in his eyes when he spoke. "It had been an accident." he began quietly.
"I remember clearly the night Clow Reed had revealed his plan to trap the Forgotten. It had been quite clear that he had actually been planning this for days...maybe even weeks...before he had deigned to inform myself and Kero Beros about it. It was simple, really, so simple that the Forgotten didn't see it at all. He would create a binding spell for them. That had been easy, as Clow Reed was already connected to the cards. Then, once they had all been drawn there, not being able to really resist the spell's call, he would create an illusion of himself using the Mirror card and making a simple shield that would hide the card's energy and create the sense of his own. I am sure Kero Beros told you the rest, how the fake Clow Reed fled into the labyrinth and the cards followed after..."
"...But that is all Kero Beros knows."
"There is more to this tale. On the night he told me of his plan, on the night he trapped the Forgotten, he sent Kero off to search for some ingredients he conveniently didn't have for his spells. When Kero Beros had left, Clow Reed turned to me and told me I must stop Rage from coming here with the rest...that I must stop him from getting caught in the web." Yue smiled slightly, amused at some memory or another. "I remember my shock when he said those words...how had he found out that I had met with Rage and knew he was no fiend? Had I acted differently, said something that gave me away? But, no, I suppose I should not have been so surprised. Clow Reed seemed to know things he shouldn't know...and he never told anyone exactly HOW he knew what he did."
"As I said, I was instructed to keep Rage away. The spell would affect him the same way it would the others, Clow Reed could not separate the spell enough to allow for Rage to slip past it...it was too complicated. So Rage would come, but not because he wished revenge, but because he would have been worried about what Clow Reed had been planning. Clow Reed had not enough time to contact Rage himself, he needed every minute to conduct the spells. So that is where I came in."
"He told me Rage was somewhere to the East, how he could sense Rage when I could not I did not know...but that was another thing Clow Reed did not share. I suppose it must have had something to do with his connection to the cards. But I digress...needing no further orders, and asking no questions, as, with Clow Reed, they would have been pointless anyways...I flew off in search of Rage."
"I flew East, not sure where I was going or how long it would take me to find Rage, but I kept my senses open for him. For what seemed like hours I flew, watching, waiting, and then I sensed him. He was not too far from me by the feel of him... perhaps a mile or two at the most...and I was relieved that he was not shielding himself, otherwise, I never would have found him."
"Changing my course slightly, I headed for him. That is when I saw the smoke. To the right of me, great billows of smoke were beginning to appear over the horizon. I knew there to be a village there, and the smell of ash and burning came to me suddenly, and I knew the village was on fire."
"I hung about, suspended in the air for what seemed an eternity, but was really only moments, struggling within myself. I wanted to help that village, to save the people there...and with the help of my Magic, I could save so very many lives. However, I had been given a direct order from Clow Reed...and if I did not follow it, something awful might happen. Although, I had no idea just how awful then."
"Not being able to stand the thought of innocents dying, I flew with unnatural speed towards the growing fire. When I saw the village, my throat constricted and my heart tightened. The fire had been worse than I thought. A goodly portion of the village had already been burned, was still burning, and the fire was spreading far too quickly. Some women and the children were fleeing out of the village, seeking safety, but most of the women, and all the men, stayed behind to put out the fire. There was a small stream on the edge of the town, and the villagers were using many buckets, passed along to each other and filled with water, to throw onto the blaze in hopes of putting it out."
"But I knew, with a fire of that size, that what they were doing would not be enough."
"Without a second thought, I threw my ice crystals into the fire, freezing goodly portions of it. But the fire was still spreading like someone had thrown kerosene onto the very town. It was, in fact, the dust dry straw of the houses and the wood that fueled the fire's hunger. My icicles were effective...but not effective enough."
"I am not so bad with Ice, but my real power lies in Air. However, my power would only be a hindrance to me this time and I could do nothing there. I glanced back at the villagers and their pitiful attempts to douse the fire. That was when my gaze fell upon the stream once more."
"Closing my eyes, I reached out towards the water, trying to get a feel of it. The presence, the essence of it came slowly, my power not that of Water, but it came. When I had it, I latched onto it as if my own life depended upon it, and not only did I take the water from the stream...but I took the water from the Earth as well, feeling it's presence under the riverbed. When I judged I had enough, I commanded it forward and up, creating a huge wave, water exploding out of the ground as well. I was vaguely aware of the people screaming and yelling about the strange occurrence, I needed to focus with all I had. Sending the water crashing suddenly forward, I sent it soaring over the fire, and down upon it, effectively putting out the fire and the danger. Once the fire was out, I sighed in relief."
"I did not stay around to wait for the people to notice me, but instead flew back the way I had been going, desperately searching for that unique aura once again. But there was nothing and Rage was gone."
"I stayed and flew across the surrounding area, though, to make absolutely sure...and as I look back now, I know I shouldn't have. I should have raced back to Clow Reed immediately and told him of this occurrence. But I had not."
"By the time I admitted to myself that Rage was truly gone, I teleported back straight to Clow Reed. What I found upon return, was an exhausted Clow Reed...and a collapsed and sealed labyrinth. One look at Clow Reed's face was all the answer I needed...Rage had been trapped inside with the others."
Yue hung his head, his shoulders suddenly drooping as if the weight of the world rested upon his shoulders. "It turns out, that Clow Reed had known Rage was there as soon as he had arrived, but he could do nothing at the risk of alerting the others. So, not having a choice, or a way out, Clow Reed sealed Rage with the rest to ensure the safety of the world." Yue paused, and when his voice came again, it came in a whisper and sounded so guilty, so sad, that it tore at Sakura's heartstrings, "It was my fault. If I had not gone to that village, if I had not been distracted, Rage never would have been trapped, Clow Reed would not have blamed himself in all those years until his death, and Rage would not feel bitter resentment towards him. It was my fault."
Sakura, who had been sitting immobile, her dread increasing with every word of Yue's story, suddenly leapt forward until she was almost face to face with Yue, startling him out of his self blame. "It's NOT your fault." Sakura said fiercely, but gently, too. Softening her voice, she continued, "What you did that day was the right thing, Yue. You couldn't have stood aside and let those people die when you knew you could help them. That would have been wrong...and would have made you no better than the Forgotten. It WAS an accident, and, even though Rage is hurting over it, I'm sure he'll come to terms when he finds out the truth. Yes Rage was trapped for centuries, yes he had to put up with those loathsome creatures twenty four hours a day...but he LIVED, Yue...which is more than I could say about those hundreds of people if you had let them die. You did what was right Yue, and Rage will see that, I know he will." she said with conviction.
The look on Yue's face said he didn't believe her, and Sakura knew that he still blamed himself. Even though she knew he probably wouldn't like the physical contact...she reached forward and hugged him anyways, sort of like when he, Yukito... both of them, had comforted her when she thought Li hated her.
At first, he stiffened in her arms, as unyielding as a snow storm. But Sakura waited, and slowly, he began to relax enough to let his head rest on her shoulder and his arms encircle her from behind. His wings came forward to circle around the pair as well, as if he was shielding them both from the outside world for all time. He didn't cry, as most people would have, he just rested his head on her shoulder and let her hold him.
Soon, sooner than Sakura thought was right, Yue released her and folded his wings behind him. Not having much of a choice, Sakura let go of her hold on him, scooting back slightly to give him some space. They sat in silence for a bit, just listening to the night-time sounds. But when Sakura noticed the air had become chill, and that the night was fully upon them, she realized she'd have to go back in soon.
Glancing over at Yue, she said, "Thank you for sharing something that was obviously painful for you, Yue."
Yue nodded his head respectfully but didn't say anything. Rising to his feet, he spread his wings and looked out into the night. "Remember, Mistress, if you ever need me, I will be there." then, spreading his wings, he launched himself off the roof and into the winds.
Sakura watched him for a moment before going back inside. Kero was already asleep in his drawer, Sakura having taken longer than the poor guy could cope with awake. Silently, Sakura removed her clothes and slipped on her customary night wear, tank top and shorts, and slid into bed.
She fell asleep with an untroubled mind that night, most of her immediate problems solved and the Forgotten at the back of her head. The knowledge that she might be able to put Rage's mind at ease as hers was now made Sakura feel good, and it was the last thing Sakura thought before drifting off to sleep.
~
When Sakura woke up the next morning it was with light spirits and a smile. Bounding up out of bed, she hurried over to her closet and riffled through her clothes. When she found a suitable outfit she liked, she quickly changed and then went over to her night stand to put the Key of Clow around her neck. When that was done and she was ready to leave, Sakura noticed that something wasn't quite right. Frowning, she wondered where the early lectures on getting up late from Kero were. Going back over to her dresser, she pulled out Kero's drawer and peered in. Sure enough, there he was, sound asleep. Sakura smiled...maybe Love's little sleep spell had after effects.
As she went to close the drawer, Kero moved, and Sakura realized he wasn't asleep after all. Putting her hands on her hips, Sakura admonished, "Kero! You could have told me you were up! Why didn't you say something?"
There was a silence for some moments, and Sakura's playfulness turned to concern. Then Kero said, "What's the point? There's no reason to get up anyways. Life has no meaning."
Sakura stared at him. "Kero? What are you talking about?"
He turned around to face her, and Sakura gasped at the blank look in his normally sparkling eyes. "You may as well go back to sleep, too, Sakura...we're never going to capture the Forgotten...they're too strong. Why waste the energy? Might as well just sit here and wait for them to take over."
"Kero!" Sakura exclaimed, aghast. "What the hell is the matter with you!?"
"Just go back to sleep Sakura." he said quietly. Then he turned around and proceed to do just that.
Sakura stood there for a few moments, dumbstruck, as she tried to figure out what just happened. Determining that Kero wasn't going to be doing much talking for a while, Sakura made a quick decision and raced out her door to find Julian, and, therefore, Yue.
Sakura entered the kitchen and found Dad and Tory in there, eating breakfast. "Morning, guys." she said, running over to grab a piece of toast.
"What's so good about it?"
Sakura, mouth open and toast halfway there, froze. Turning around slowly, she found both of her family members were staring at her...with that same odd expression Kero has. Swallowing nervously, Sakura put down her toast and looked at the two of them. "Well...for one thing...the sun's shining and the birds are singing."
"So?" Tory replied, "The birds will just die and the sun gives you skin cancer. Where's the good there?"
Okay...things have officially gone mad. But there was an explanation to this odd behaviour, there had to be. Sakura thought she knew what it was, too...one of the Forgotten.
Well fine...she could do this, even if she didn't have Kero to help her or to tell her which card it was. Which was problem number one there...how was she supposed to seal the card if she didn't know which one it was? The need to find Yue and ask him about all this increased ten fold and, with a fake smile plastered across her face, Sakura said, "I'm going out. I'll be back soon."
With something sounding vaguely like yes coming from both of them, Sakura then scurried around Tory and her father and headed for the door. As soon as she was safely outside, Sakura looked around her and, for the second time that day, froze in her tracks.
All around her, people were standing, sitting, walking listlessly onwards...that same blank look to their eyes. Their faces were completely devoid of emotion, like someone had drained all their feelings away. If there was an expression on their faces, Sakura would have had to say it was one of despair...as if they'd lost all hope for life itself.
"This is creeping me out." Sakura whispered. Jogging up to the sidewalk, and taking care not to get too close to the drained people while doing so, Sakura ran for Julian's hotel room. Tory had pinned the address of the hotel on the refrigerator, so Sakura knew where she was going.
About halfway to where she wanted to go, Sakura suddenly stopped. Looking around and concentrating, Sakura closed her eyes. In about three seconds, they popped back open when she got the full sense of a Forgotten. Turning her head to the right, Sakura narrowed her eyes in the direction she knew the card to be. She hesitated for the briefest moment, wanting to go after the card, but then she turned back in the direction she had been going and started off to find Julian (Yue) again.
Just as she was about to resume her jogging, a familiar voice stopped her and Sakura turned around,
"Sakura!" Li ran up to her, Lasin Board in his hands and dressed in his green ceremonial robes. Stopping just in front of her, he said, "Sakura, did you...?"
Sakura almost smiled as something occurred to her...this was just like old times again. Sakura nodded. "Yes. I sensed it, too, Li." she glanced West again. "I was just on my way to get Yue."
Li frowned. "Why would you want to do that? We need to capture it NOW." Li stressed.
Sakura frowned in turn. "What's the hurry? It's not causing any bodily damage yet, and I can't capture it without knowing which card it is first, now can I? That's why I'm going to go get Yue. I'm sure he'll know which card it is." she turned to go.
Li grabbed her arm. "Sakura..." his face was strained, like there was a struggle going on inside of him. "Sakura, we can't let this card do this for any longer than we have to. It's true, it's not doing any physical damage, but emotionally...that can be worse than a body wound. Sakura, look at these people," he gestured at all the practically lifeless forms around them and Sakura's gaze followed his hand. "Look at them...whatever gave them pleasure in life has been completely taken from them. They've lost all hope in what they believe in. What keeps them going is no longer there." returning his eyes to her, Li gazed into Sakura's face. "Another hour, another miunte, another second more without their very souls is too much." Li's eyes got a lost look in them, and Sakura thought he might be remembering something from his own past. "Losing all hope in finding what it is you've been waiting for for years...it's not a feeling you ever forget."
Sakura watched Li, concerned, thinking he must be remembering what it had been like to be under the control of Insanity. Shaking his head suddenly, Li got himself back on track. "I know we don't know which card it is, Sakura, but we have to go after it immediately. We may not be able to seal it, but, if we could just hold it, break it's control on these people, and THEN you could call Yue."
Sakura thought about this in silence. It was true...what was being done to these people was something that shouldn't happen to anyone, but, she'd still feel safer if she knew which card it was first. She looked back over at Li to tell him she was going to Yue first, but one look into those pained, indian red eyes, and Sakura found herself saying, "Okay, Li, we'll go find the card now."
Smiling gratefully at her, Li turned and immediately set off in the direction of the card, saying, "Force! Know my plight! Release the Light!" the Lasin Board activated and a narrow beam of light shot off, leading them directly to the card itself.
Sakura followed after the quickly retreating back of Li, hoping she hadn't just made a mistake.
Turning a corner by the park, Li stopped abruptly, nearly causing Sakura to slam into his back. Peeking around his shoulder, Sakura saw what had caught his attention. Moving languidly, unaware of the two extra presence, the Forgotten continued on her trek. She was dressed in a flowing silk dress, which would have been quite impressive, if it hadn't been the colour of dullest grey. Coming across any living thing, she would reach out and touch it and it would immediately become listless.
Sakura turned to Li to tell him that they should quietly attack the card together, but she blinked as she encountered only air. Looking towards the card, she found Li, sword already drawn, heading straight for the card, enraged. "Go back to your hell, card."
The woman looked up at Li with an expression much like those around her whom she affected, but, there was nothing listless in her manner,
Lifting her hand, grey energy sprang forth from it and sent Li reeling back. But he'd had his sword out and the ancestrial weapon took the brunt of the blow and absorbed it. Yelling out in pure anger, Li went for her again, this time wary of her hands.
"Oh, wonderful." Sakura muttered. Taking the Key from her neck, she murmured, "Oh, Key of Clow! Power of Magic! Power of Light! Surrender the wand, the Force, ignite! Release!" the Clow wand appeared in her hands and Sakura pulled out a Clow card. "Windy! Trap the Forgotten! Release!" Windy exploded from her card and headed for the Forgotten.
Li, a second after hearing Sakura release Windy, cried, "Element! Wind!" in an effort to double the power of the wind shield.
As both forces reached her, the Forgotten disappeared. Windy howled in rage and Sakura quickly called her back. "Where did she go?" she asked Li.
Sword in front of him in a defensive gesure, Li didn't reply, his gaze darting about.
The Forgotten suddenly reappeared behind Li, her arm raised to strike him, and Sakura cried out, "Li!"
Ducking just in time, Li rolled out of harm's way. Sakura took the opportunity to call forth another card, "Firey! Release and dispel! Firey!"
Baring her teeth at the surprised card, Firey flew with great speed at the Forgotten. She was quick as well, but her surprise had kept her immobile for a second too long, and Firey succeeded in burning her shoulder, making the Forgotten cry out. Turning suddenly life filled eyes towards Sakura, the Forgotten lifted her hand and Sakura found herself flying throught the air, the wind knocked out of her and her vision greying out with the force of the blow.
"Sakura!"
Sakura dimly heard Li call out to her as she went sailing over the trees and into the nearby park...it didn't occur to Sakura that, what goes up, must come down...
Sakura's breath came back to her abruptly as she fell into strong arms. Looking up, she was about to thank whoever had just caught her, when she saw who had actually caught her, "You! What are you doing here?"
Rage looked down upon Sakura with infinite calm, though he did appear to be annoyed. "You would have much better luck at sealing her, if you stopped trying to trap her and did just that. As for why I'm here...well...I just saved your life...again."
Sakura frowned at him. "Well...thanks...again. I appreciate this, really, but, I told you, you have no reason to be anywhere near me if you're not going to openly admit you'll fight with me. Otherwise, I can only assume you're an enemy."
Rage's eyebrow twitched, "Yes...you said something like that before."
"You know what I said." Sakura glanced pointedly at his arms, one under her shoulders, the other under her knees. "Could you put me down now?"
Rage did, though grudgingly.
Sakura sighed. Turning her back on him, Sakura said, "Thanks again, but, I have to go help Li. He needs me."
Anger flashed briefly in Rage's eyes before he hid it away, So do I! "So, you still have it in your mind to...trap her?"
Sakura nodded.
Sighing in what seemed like impatience, Rage said, "If you are going to persist in this foolishness, you might as well know the one you fight. The woman on the other side of these trees, is named Despair."
Sakura turned around to face him. "Thank you." she said with feeling, making Rage blink at the change in her demeanor, cold to warm. Smiling brilliantly at him, Sakura said, "I have to talk to you later, don't go anywhere!" then she turned and ran back out of the park.
Continuing to blink owlishly, wondering how he had gotten from 'I don't ever expect to see you again', to, 'I have to talk to you'. Rage said, "I...wouldn't dream of going anywhere else."
Sakura dashed back onto the scene, finding Li fending off the grey energy with his sword. Coming up behind Depsair while she was distracted, Sakura whispered, "Shadow card!"
Shadow, as silent as night, crept up behind Despair. When he was close enough, he reared up and pounced, completely surrounding Despair, who gave an angry, surprised scream as she was surrounded. Shadow held Despair valiently, but Sakura could see that he wouldn't be able to hold her for long. Silently thanking Rage for his help, Sakura said, "Despair! Return to your power, confined! Despair card!"
The pattern appeared below Despair and she was sucked into a card. Sakura reached out her hand and Despair floated to it. Looking at Li, who was still breathing a little heavy, she smiled, held up the card, and said, "Another one bites the dust."
To be continued...
__________________________________________________________ ________________________________________
I know, I know, not a very good ending, is it? Well...I'm very tired. I meant to get this posted before the weekend, but, packing got in the way and I couldn't manage to get this quite done. ??? Why was I packing you ask? Well, I didn't mention this, but I was going to Toronto Trek all weekend (I LOVE Toronto Trek!!! *.*). And, now, I just finished the last part with Despair and Sakura, Li, and Rage now, so it's not all that great. But, like I say, I'm tired...you don't sleep at conventions. ~.^ You can tell I wrote this in, like, five minutes, because it was short and not very impressive. Yes, I know Despair lacked character of any kind!! but I didn't feel like giving her any right now :P Sorry. When I've gotten over my insomnia created by the convention, I'll get the next chapter out, which will be better because I won't feel so tired. So!...see you then! ^_^
By the by...if any of you live near, by, in Toronto, and you HAVEN'T been to Toronto Trek...GET YOUR ASSES IN GEAR AND GO!!! ^.^ You don't know what you're missing. It's mostly a sci-fi convention, but there is a whole lot of anime there, too. If you have any questions about the convention, just ask me, and I'll be happy to answer in any way I can! ^_^