Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Clow Card Central ❯ Healing Hearts ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Nelvana/CLAMP (except the new Card, which I kinda sorta ripped off an attack from Pokemon).

Note: After watching the whole "Final Judgement" thingee, I got inspired. (Isn't Yue COOL?!) So, I'm gonna experiment with a few Yue things, maybe a poem or a short story (or two). Most likely it'll be separate from this series, though.

~...~ are thoughts or telepathic speech.

Summary: Psychic becomes the unofficial Clow Psychologist as the Cards bring him their various problems. But is he skilled enough to seal the rift between Power and Sakura?

Clow Card Central 5: Healing Hearts


"I think we should talk."

Firey didn't turn around. "Hey, Sakura. Have a seat."

"What are you doing up here?" Sakura asked, stepping out onto the roof.

"One of my favorite pastimes," she replied. "Come and see for yourself."

Sakura sat down next to her and looked down. Her gaze landed on the backyard, where she could make out two Cards fighting. "Isn't that...?"

"Fight and Power," Firey said quietly.

"Should I...stop them?"

"That would be a bad idea. They're only sparring, and Fight hates to be interrupted, especially when she's sparring with Power."

"But...it looks like they're trying to kill each other," Sakura pointed out.

"They've always been competitive. At least, Fight has. It's a good way for them both to let off steam. Better each other than the other Cards, right?"

"I guess," Sakura murmured, a worried look on her face.

* * * * *

~You're holding back. Stop that.~

Power frowned as she ducked a punch. ~No, I'm not. You're just faster.~

~Even so, you can hit harder than me. Do it.~

Power backed up and lowered her fists. ~Fight, maybe we should stop now.~

~No. I'm not tired, and neither are you.~ Fight charged and hit Power with a diving tackle, sending them both to the ground.

~Where did you learn that?~ Power asked in surprise.

Fight brushed off her costume. ~The humans call it football. Get up.~

Power sighed and got to her feet. ~You know I hate sparring with you.~

~No. You only hate it when you're winning, because you think you're hurting me. Now you're just not trying. That's unacceptable.~ Fight leaped forward and drove her fist into Power's shoulder.

Power merely shrugged it off. ~Fine. But if I knock you out, we have to stop.~

~Deal.~ Fight fired another left hook, grinning with satisfaction when it slammed into Power's fist. ~Good. Again.~

* * * * *

Psychic wasn't hiding. That's what he kept telling himself. If he wanted to hide, he'd just use his powers to make himself invisible to everyone else. Instead, he'd retreated to the basement, were he kept himself busy by naming all his siblings, first alphabetically, then by age, and then by which he liked most to which he liked least.

Naturally, that got boring after a while.

Just then, he sensed someone approaching. Psychic considered hiding, but decided it wasn't worth the effort and sat down in an old rocking chair to wait.

A head of golden blonde hair was the first thing that came into view. That narrowed down the identity of the guest, and her height was a dead giveaway. "Hello, Little."

Little gasped in surprised as she spotted him. "Oh. Hi, Psychic. I didn't know you were down here. I'll just leave-"

"No! Wait, please! Stay." Psychic frowned inwardly. ~I must sound so...needy.~

Little stared at him for a moment, then walked over to the chair. "Is something wrong?"

"No. Yes. I..." He sighed and lowered his head. "I guess...I'm just lonely. None of the other Cards want anything to do with me, because of what I did."

"That's not true," Little said. "I don't hate you."

Psychic raised his head. "Really?"

"No. I don't hate anyone. I'm a little upset that you knocked out Sakura...but she's fine now. Power says you didn't mean to make her do those bad things. She kept saying that you're a really good Card, and that you wouldn't hurt anyone if you had a choice."

Psychic smiled faintly. "She would say that."

"Anyway, a lot of the other Cards hurt Sakura when she was capturing them. I figure putting her to sleep was painless, so they can't really be mad at you for that."

"But they have a reason to be angry, Little. Though I didn't mean to turn Power against them...I did want to take her away from you all."

Little frowned. "But why?"

"I thought she was unhappy. Every day, I watched Power try her hardest to be everything that Sakura could ever want. Every day, I saw Sakura cling to Syaoran more and more. And then I knew."

"Knew what?"

"That my dear Power could never win Sakura's heart. If she knew, she chose not to believe it. But now I think she realizes how much Sakura loves Syaoran. I was so angry, watching Power cry herself to sleep while Sakura dreamed happy dreams of Syaoran, and right next to her, no less. It was more than I could stand."

Little hesitantly placed her small hand over his, and smiled when he squeezed it gently. "You sound like you really care for Power."

"Of course I do," Psychic replied quietly. "She's my sister, and I love her."

There was something about Psychic's voice that seemed familiar to Little when he said 'love'. Somehow, she'd heard that tone before, but she couldn't remember where.

"Unfortunately, I can't help Power heal until she comes to me," Psychic sighed.

"You're...really smart, right?" Little asked.

Psychic blinked. "What?"

"I mean, because you understand mind stuff, right?"

"Well...yes, I suppose I am, if you put it like that."

"Okay. Bye!" Little hopped on his knee, gave Psychic a peck on the cheek, and then zipped out of the basement before he could stop her.

Psychic stared after her and touched his cheek. "A sweet girl, but a bit strange..."

* * * * *

Power slowly opened her eyes. ~Fight? What happened?~

~To be blunt, you lost.~ Fight pulled Power to her feet. ~Can you walk?~

~I'm still dizzy, a little.~

~Fine. Come here.~ Fight draped a pink arm around her neck and helped Power walk back to the house. ~You know, I didn't expect you to just stand there and get hit. Did I hurt you?~

~No. I'm sorry. My mind was...somewhere else.~

~Good. Then at least that didn't get damaged.~ Fight studied her sister's face. ~Oh, no. Not HIM again.~

~What?~ Power asked defensively.

~He ALWAYS ruins our spars, even when he isn't there. You poor, emotional softie.~

~I am NOT soft, Fight!~

~You are.~ Fight poked Power in the ribs. ~See? Soft. Especially when you're near HIM.~

~If I'm so soft, why do you only spar with me?~

~You're like a pink marshmallow. You absorb the hits and keep going. No one else can do that.~

Power glared at her sister. ~You know, I DO have feelings.~

~Like I said, soft. Anyway, don't feel bad. You're a tough pink marshmallow that can hit back almost as good as me.~ Fight smirked a bit. ~Almost.~

~I hate you.~

~I know. I would, too, if I had to fight me. Well, actually, I'd love it.~

* * * * *

Psychic wasn't surprised when Little returned to the basement. However, he wasn't expecting Thunder to enter right behind her, a shopping bag clutched between his teeth.

Little reached into the bag and began to pull out various items, all of which she sat on a large desk in the corner.

"Um...Little?" Psychic asked after a while.

"Yes?"

"What are you doing?"

"Setting up your office."

"Oh." Psychic considered that for a moment. "Why do I need an office?"

"Because I kinda sorta told Big that you would give her some professional advice. I think that's what it's called, anyway..."

"I see. And why is Thunder with you?"

Thunder gave Psychic a mournful look. "Mmmph hmm-mmmph!" he said, though it made no sense through the shopping bag.

"He's just helping me carry stuff," Little replied. "I'm going to be your secretary, so I have to set things up for you." She removed the bag from Thunder's mouth. "Also, we're going to need a couch. Your guests are supposed to lay down when they talk to you. Thunder, could you find us one, please? Oh, and bring Dash with you. He's going to be our mascot."

Thunder growled softly as he went to find a couch, muttering something about "cursed females."

"Don't mind him. He's always in a bad mood, for some reason." Little began moving the items on the desk.

"Little, dear...don't take this the wrong way or anything...but I don't think I should be giving advice to anyone," Psychic said.

"Why's that?" Little turned to look at him.

"Well, I'm...not really a professional, and I'm not qualified to give advice to anyone."

"You're just nervous. You'll do fine." She gave him a big grin. "Besides, you've got a great secretary to help with the hard stuff!"

Psychic's hesitation faltered as he looked at her. In all his years of life, never had he seen someone so small with a smile so big. It was almost as if her mouth defied the dimensions of her face. And that was actually a good thing, as far as he could tell. "Well...all right. But one more thing."

"Yes?"

Psychic picked up a Gohan doll from the desk. "What is this?"

"Oh, that's my good luck charm. Isn't he cute?"

"Um...I guess." Psychic handed the doll to her. "What makes him so lucky?"

"See the little Dragonball on his hat? It's filled with lucky power!"

"If you say so. When is Big coming?"

"As soon as Thunder gets back with the couch and Dash. He's going to be our mascot!"

"Yes, you mentioned that. You never did tell me why you thought this was a good idea, though."

Little smiled. "Well, if you help Big, she'll tell someone else. And then they'll come for help, and if you help them, they'll tell another somebody. And if you end up helping a lot of the Cards, then they'll stop being mean to you. And then Sakura would like you for helping, and she'd forgive you for knocking her out. See?"

"Yes, I do. But why is it so important to you that they like me?" Psychic asked.

"Well...Power says you're a good Card, and she's the nicest Card I know. So I figured if she likes you, there's no reason everyone else shouldn't. And besides, when you smile, you remind me of Daddy."

"I do?" It sounded like a compliment. A very big one, if "Daddy" was who Psychic suspected it was. "Thank you, Little."

Little nodded. "So will you try to help Big?"

"Yes, I'll see what I can do for her."

* * * * *

"I have to agree with Fight. You've always acted a little strange around Psychic."

Power blushed. "I have not!"

"You're doing it right now," Firey pointed out. "I didn't know what it was at first, but I think I do now. You're in love with him."

"I am not! We're just..."

~Close,~ Fight said.

"Exactly!"

"Wrong," Firey sighed. "That 'close' stuff may have worked when we were kids, but not anymore. We're not stupid, Power."

"I didn't say you were, Sister. But I am NOT in love with Psychic."

Fight smirked. ~Then tell him. Tell him you're not in love with him.~

Power froze. "Tell...him?"

"Yeah. Tell him," Firey agreed.

"But...I can't do that! Not now! He's...alone and confused...and..."

"So in love with you that he can taste it," Firey interrupted. "Face it, Sis. You and Blue Boy are way into each other. Now all you have to do is admit it."

Power shook her head. "But...how could I tell him?"

~You don't really have to,~ Fight pointed out. ~Just let him read your mind. That'll be fun for him.~

Power glared at her. "Psychic doesn't like to invade my thoughts."

"But he won't be invading if you ask him to do it," Firey replied. "Just walk up to him, flash that adorable smile he likes so much, and tell him you've got a secret. That'll get his attention."

"You...want me to seduce him?" Power guessed.

~Shouldn't be too hard,~ Fight reasoned. ~He's a guy.~

* * * * *

Psychic leaned back in his chair. "So, Big. What have we learned today?"

"That I have a problem with being noticed too much?"

"Correct. And what will you do next time you want to be...overlooked, shall we say?"

"Talk to Little?"

"Ah, you were listening." Psychic smiled. "I think we're done for now. Come back in a week so we can review your progress."

Big smiled. "Thank you, Brother."

"Anytime, my dear."

Little checked her notes as Big left the basement. "Okay, Shot's next."

Psychic looked reasonably alarmed. "What? I thought you said I was helping Big?"

"You were. But now you're helping Shot. And you know she'll tell EVERYONE how you helped her." Little flashed him a supportive smile.

"Yes, I suppose so..." Psychic tried to calm down a bit.

~And I think you did very well for your first session, Brother,~ Dash added.

"Thank you, Dash. But I wonder if you might find Silent before my next session? I have a feeling I'll be in great need of her..."

* * * * *

"Okay. Let's try this once more."

Syaoran sighed. "I will not kill Power if I see her again. I will, in no way, try to bring harm to her. I will not ask Meiling to bring harm to her. If I see her, I will act normally, as if she isn't in love with Sakura."

"Uh...that last part wasn't in the agreement," Meiling pointed out.

Syaoran glared at her. "It is now. It HAS to be, if I'm going to agree to it."

"Fine, Syaoran. Anything else, Akira?"

"Probably. But I can't think of it right now." Akira stared at Syaoran. "Now...you realize that if you...slip up again, there's a good chance Sakura may never speak to you again."

"Yes. But what happened at the party wasn't entirely my fault. You have to give me that."

"Well, yes. Power's poem was certainly...unexpected, and it won't happen again...I hope."

"That makes two of us," Syaoran muttered.

"At any rate, you must try not to let the Cards provoke you. You have just as much right to be part of Sakura's life as they do. Maybe more. Don't let them push you into making another mistake."

* * * * *

"What's wrong, Psychic?" Little asked, patting his hand.

"I...have...a headache. A bad one."

"I'm sorry."

"It's...not your fault, Little." Psychic sighed. "We couldn't have known that Shot would react that way to being silenced. But at least the couch survived."

"Not really," Little replied, pointing at a rather large hole in the arm.

"Hmm." Psychic picked up the Gohan doll and hugged it. "I hope he IS lucky. Maybe I won't be on the receiving end of the attack this time. Who did you say was next?"

"Well, nobody, I guess," Little answered. "I think you're done for today."

Suddenly, there was a quiet knock on the door.

"Or not," Little added, running over to the door. "Hi, welcome to...POWER! What happened?!"

"Fight," Power replied, glancing down at her stained outfit. "Is Psychic here?"

"Oh, sure!" Little grabbed Power's hand and led her into the room. "You caught us just before we closed, too!"

"Before you closed or were shut down?" Power asked, staring at the hole in the couch as she sat down.

"Shot's session didn't go too well," Psychic said, rubbing his forehead. "But I trust I won't have the same problem with you, my dear?"

Power blushed a bit. "Well, I'd never hit you, if that's what you mean."

Psychic smiled. "Actually, I was referring to the couch, but I greatly appreciate that." He paused and looked at Little. "I don't mean to be rude, Little, but I think it would be best if I spoke to Power alone. In the meantime, it would be a great help if you could check on how Sakura's doing. And you might see if Dash's fur has recovered from Shot's...outburst."

"Okay!" Little hopped off her chair and ran out of the basement.

"I heard you've been doing some counseling," Power said.

"If you want to call it that," Psychic replied uneasily. "Is that why you're here?"

"Well, no. I really came to see you, but..."

"But?"

Power sighed. "But...I could use your help. I'm worried about Sakura."

"You mean you're worried about your relationship with her."

"Yes. I think...maybe...she hates me."

"That's a very strong word, Power. And if anyone hated you, I would venture to say it was the Li. I don't think Sakura is capable of hating anyone."

"But...she won't talk to me, and I don't know what to do, Psy. I feel like we're growing further apart by the second."

Psychic closed his eyes. "So you want me to tell you how to heal the relationship so that you'll have a chance at winning Sakura's heart again?"

Power hesitated. "Well...I...don't know."

"Good. Because I'm not going to do that."

Power blinked in shock. "What? Why?"

"Don't be alarmed, Power. I will help your relationship as best I can. But understand something first. For months, I have watched you try to win Sakura's love. I have watched her meet these attempts with everything from reluctant acceptance to obvious discomfort. And more importantly, I have watched both your lives dissolve into little more than chaos because of it. In short, if I do help you, it will be on certain terms."

"Okay," Power said slowly, looking hurt and somewhat confused. She clearly wasn't used to Psychic speaking to her in such a way.

Psychic opened his eyes. "First and foremost, you must accept that you will never win Sakura's heart."

"But-"

"Listen to me, Power. I know you thought you were in love with Sakura, but I have been observing you both for some time. What you thought to be love was mere infatuation at best. I'm afraid you were suffering from a side effect of being a Card that Sakura depended on heavily."

"What...are you saying?" Power whispered.

"The Clow Cards were created to serve their Master, Power. Perhaps Clow Reed's greatest fault was that he gave us life. He treated us like his children, and so we thought we were. We had no one to tell us any different. We feel, just like humans do. But we are, in the end, still Clow Cards. You've confused your desire to serve Sakura and make her happy with romantic love. Each time she used you, she was depending on you, and you did your best to serve her. Plus, Clow Reed created us so that we would grow to care for the one who sealed us."

"So...I don't love Sakura?" Power asked quietly.

"Not the way you thought you did, no. But you do love her as the rest of the Cards do. Little is probably the best example of how we all think of her."

"I...see." Power lowered her head.

"I'm sorry if I was harsh, Power. But it was important that I told you."

"I know," Power replied, nodding. "Thank you, Psy." She stood up and turned to leave.

Psychic appeared in front of her. "There is...one more thing we should discuss."

"There is?" Power asked.

"Yes," he said quietly, taking her hands in his own.

Power looked down at their joined hands, then up at his face. "Oh. You meant...that."

"I did." Psychic stared into her eyes. "Power, I...that is, we..."

Power pressed a finger to his lips. "No words, Psy. They just get in the way."

~I'm sorry. It's just that-~

Power thumped him on the forehead. "None of that, either." She placed her hands on his shoulder and stood on her toes, gently pressing her lips to his. After a brief moment, she wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her chin on his shoulder.

Psychic blinked rapidly, trying to ignore the fact that his cheeks were turning violet. "P-Power...I...what was...?"

She shushed him. "I told you they only get in the way. Just hold me, Psy."

Psychic slowly wrapped his arms around her and closed his eyes. ~Did...they...put you up to this?~

~Not really. The kiss was my idea.~

~Ah.~ He thought for a moment. ~I love the way you think.~

Power smiled. ~You're trying to get kissed again, aren't you?~

~Is it that obvious?~

~No. But fortunately for you, I DO feel like kissing you again...~

* * * * *

Sakura carefully ran her hand over the smooth patch of skin. "Well, Dash, I think you'll be okay. You just lost some fur along your back."

~Can't you do something about Shot?~ Dash asked. ~I'd hate to think what might have happened if she actually HAD been aiming at me.~

"I can't even get her to whisper, Dash."

"Well, she'll listen to you, at least," Little pointed out.

Sakura nodded. "I'll have another talk with her tomorrow. Hopefully, she won't attack anyone else before then. In the meantime, I'm going to bed."

Little climbed into Sakura's lap and hugged her neck. "Night, Mommy!"

Sakura smiled and returned the embrace, kissing her forehead. "Night, sweetie. See you in the morning."

Little picked up Dash and left the room, waving as she went into the hallway.

Sakura began to pull back her blanket when she heard a familiar voice.

"May I come in, Sakura?"

Sakura paused, but didn't look up. "Yes, Power. You've never needed to ask before."

"Things...change," Power said slowly, stopping a few feet away.

"Yes, they do." Sakura finally turned around. "It was a nice poem, though."

Power lowered her head. "I'm so sorry, Sakura."

"Stop that." Sakura lifted her chin with a finger. "You've got nothing to be sorry for, Power. It wasn't your fault. Psychic explained everything to me."

"But...what about Syaoran...?"

Sakura shrugged. "He'll get over it, eventually. Once he remembers how much he loves me, he'll be back. Right now, I'm more concerned about you."

Power blinked in surprise. "You don't...hate me?"

"I could never hate you, Power. I was upset for a while, but like I said, it wasn't your fault. If I'd actually done my homework, maybe I would've known how the Cards react to their Master. So I guess it's my fault, really." Sakura smiled and shook her head. "Oh, Power, did you really think I hated you?"

"I...I've just been so confused lately..."

Sakura pressed her hands to Power's cheeks. "Confused or not, you should've realized how important you are to me, Power. You're my best friend."

Power's eyes began to water. "Sakura..."

Sakura pulled her into a hug. "Shh. None of that, now. You're supposed to be happy."

Power smiled and buried her face against Sakura's shoulder. "I am," she whispered.

"So, will you be staying with me tonight? I could use a friend right now."

"You mean...you don't mind sleeping with me anymore?"

Sakura grinned. "Of course not. Especially since I know you won't be trying to kiss me anymore."

Power blushed. "I'm really sorry about that."

"It's okay. At least now I know if things don't work out with Syaoran and I end up hating all boys, I've still got options." Sakura paused. "Wait a minute..."

"What is it?" Power asked.

"I was just wondering...do you think Tomoyo would...?" Sakura shook her head. "Never mind, I'll tell you later. Ready for bed?"

Power nodded and turned off the light before climbing into the bed. "You know, this reminds me of the first time we did this."

Sakura smirked. "You mean the first time you told me you loved me and snuck that kiss?"

Power blushed slightly. "Well, yes."

"Well, I've still got the Sakura doll, unless you'd prefer to cuddle with the real thing."

"The real you will do quite nicely," Power replied, wrapping her arms around Sakura. "Goodnight, Mistress."

"Mistress? What happened to Sakura?"

"I wanted you to know I wasn't talking to the doll."

Sakura rolled her eyes and smiled. "Night, Pinky."

Power smiled and rested her head on Sakura's shoulder.

"So," Sakura said after a long moment. "Tell me about Psychic."

"What about him?" Power asked.

"Don't play stupid with me, Pinky. Best friends tell each over EVERYTHING. Especially about boys they like."

"Well...if you really want to know, the story starts off a long time ago."

"Fine. I'll listen until I fall asleep. And just so you know, I'll want the whole story again when I'm fully awake."

Power smiled. "Very well. It all started when Father explained to me how each Card has an equal."

Sakura nodded sleepily. "Uh huh. Equals. Gotcha."

"Anyway, I thought Firey was my equal."

"Sure." Sakura's eyes drifted shut.

Power kissed Sakura's forehead. "Sleep, my Mistress. Sweet dreams."

Sakura didn't answer. She was already fast asleep.


The End.