Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Never Give Up On You ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
(A/N: Ok, I know that Ruby Moon isn't female, but from what I could tell, he/she doesn't even have a gender. So, since he/she seems more feminine, I decided to stick to calling her a she. It's just easier for me to write about him/her that way. Sorry if you don't like it! And I guess that it doesn't really matter that much. Anyway, this fic is about Eriol's past, and how he realized that he was the reincarnation of Clow Reed. Well, at least that's what it's supposed to be. I got a little side tracked. Anyway, please enjoy, or at least try!)
I'll Never Give Up On You

by: AniDragon

Eriol cursed as he saw the flame on the candle die.
"What's wrong, Eriol-sama?" Ruby Moon asked when she saw her master's unpleasantness.
"Nothing," He answered bitterly, "I just can't seem to get this spell right."
"Oh," The butterfly winged creature said, "That's strange. You're the most powerful magician in the world. You should be able to do anything."
"Anything," Eriol muttered, "Yeah, that's what I thought too. That's what he promised me. Anything I want."
"What was that?"
"None of your business," He snapped, then regretted the words as soon as they left his moulth, "I... I'm sorry Ruby Moon, I'm just not really in a very good mood."
She smiled, "Don't worry about it! I know what that's like!"
"Thanks."
Ruby Moon left the room, and Eriol sighed, staring at the now unlit candle in front of him. How many times had he tried to find a spell for this? It seemed like forever since the day he first felt Clow's presence within him. He had been only five years old at the time. He was fifteen now. So he had been trying for ten years now...
He looked at the calendar on the wall, and gasped as he realized what day it was.
Actually, it was exactly ten years today.
'How could I forget that?!' He asked himself, 'It's the most important day of the year for me!'
The anniversary of his mother's death.

**********Ten years ago**********

"Would Eriol Hiragizawa please report to the principal's office immediately," The lady on the intercom announced, "Eriol Hiragizawa please report to the principal's office."
The young boy got up from his desk at the front of the class, worried. Why was he being called? He had never done anything wrong, and his marks were pretty average. He couldn't think of any reason as to why the principal wanted to see him.
The teacher nodded at him, and he left the class. Every step he took towards the office seemed hard. He had never been called there before, and he didn't know what to expect. Had something bad happened? Was he in trouble for something? His mind was reeling.
He finally arrived at the office and opened the door slowly. He was surprised to see his father there with tears in his eyes. Strange, his father never cried...
"Son," He said, his voice oddly steady despite the fact that he had been crying, "There's been an accident."
"What kind of accident?" The five year old asked with curiosity, not yet realizing how serious things were.
"A car accident," His father answered, "Your mother was driving home from work, and.... A truck hit the car..."
"Is mamma okay?"
"No, son, that's what I came here to tell you. Your mother didn't survive the crash."
Eriol cocked his head in confusion, "What do you mean?"
He took a deep breath before answering, "She's dead."
The young boy's eyes widened in shock, "Mamma...?"
"Yes. I'm sorry."
Eriol started crying and ran into his father's arms. This wasn't faire! His mother couldn't be dead! She still had so much stuff to teach him, like how to play soccer, and how to draw, and how to sing and play the piano. How would he learn all that without her? Of course, his father was still there, but there were just certain things that he needed his mother for, and that his father couldn't teach him by himself.
"It's okay to cry," He heard his father tell him.
Okay to cry.
It wasn't okay to cry. It was weak. It was childish.
But you are a child! Another part of him countered.
No. No you're not. Not anymore.
He tried to make sense of what his mind meant, but finally just gave up and continued crying in his father's arms.

**********
Eriol ran up to his room as soon as he arrived home. He needed to be alone. He knew he might feel better if he would talk to his father, but he really didn't want that. He wanted to be alone. Alone with only the walls to talk to.
He collapsed onto his bed and he could feel the tears coming to his eyes again.
Why do I keep on crying like a stupid baby? He asked himself, I'm more mature then that! I'm over a hundred years old!
He stopped his train of thoughts there, confused. I'm getting delusional. I'm aloud to cry. And I'm just 5. What's wrong with me today?
That was when he heard the voice.
Do you want to be one with me? It asked.
Eriol sniffed, "W... What?"
Do you want to be one with me? Do you want to be one in mind, body and soul?
"Who are you?"
I am a magician. I died years ago, but I have the chance to be reincarnated into someone.
"W... Why me?"
Because you have magical powers hidden deep within you. I can make them stronger. In fact, I can make you into the most powerful magician in the world. You can have anything you want, just by thinking it. You can create slaves to do work for you, or even to just keep you company. What do you say?
"Can... Can I bring mamma back?"
Anything you want.
Eriol smiled. He could see his mother again! But then he frowned, "What's the catch?"
There is no catch. I need someone to be reincarnated into and I see that your magical powers are already quite strong, even though you're young.
"But will I be in control?"
We... will both be in control, technically. I will know everything you know, and you will know everything I know. We will be the same person. We will be one.
"One," Eriol repeated, "If I can get mamma back, then yes. I'll do it."
Excellent.

Later that week...
"And so it is with a heavy heart that we must say good bye to Emily Hiragizawa. Her spirit will live on, watching over her loved ones..."
Eriol watched his mothers funeral, not listening to what the priest was saying. He now had the power to bring his mother back, so there was no reason to cry anymore.
"He's so mature!" He heard someone behind him say, "He seems to already accept his mother's death!"
Of course I'm mature, He thought to himself, I have the mind of an adult now. And besides, mamma won't stay dead for long. All I have to do is find the right spell, and then she'll be back by my side.
After the funeral, Eriol knelt by his mother's grave with his father standing next to him.
"Leave," He told him.
"What?" His father asked, shocked, "Why?"
"I want to be alone with mamma."
"Oh. I understand. I'll be waiting in the car."
"Very well."
His father left, and Eriol put his hand on the gravestone. It was beautiful. Her name was written on the top, followed by the years she had lived. Her picture had been placed in the center, and under it was written:

"Though her life was short, she marked the world in her own way.
She will be greatly missed."

"Her life may have been short," Eriol murmured, "But she'll get a second chance.
He then placed his hands on the ground in front of the grave and closed his eyes. He willed his new powers to flow through his fingers and to his mother's body below, "Mighty you lived, and mighty you fell. Mighty you will live again. Let my powers awaken you, and you will live the life you were supposed to."
And he felt nothing. The part inside of him that was Clow Reed knew that when a spell worked, he got a signal to let him know that it did. But this time, nothing.
I'm sorry, He told Eriol, Not all spells work.
I thought you said I could get my mother back! Eriol screamed out mentally.
I know I did. And I sincerely thought that you would be able to. And maybe you can. After all, maybe you just need to change the incantation. It could be as simple as that.
Then I'll try again--
No! You can't use so much magic at once. You should know that! Since you still need some practice, I suggest that you try some other time, or else you'll burn yourself out.
But mamma--
You can come again later, maybe even tomorrow. The time you wait will not affect the spell.
But what if it takes to long? Her body will decompose, and--
That will be easy to fix when the time comes.
Eriol gave up trying to argue. And just trying that spell had exhausted him. He got up and glanced at the gravestone one more time.
"I'll bring you back mamma, if it's the last thing I do."
And then he walked away without saying good bye.

**********Today**********

"What is wrong with you today?!" Ruby Moon demanded, "You've been staring at your teacup for ten minutes now! And don't try you're little "I've had a bad day" routine, because I know that it goes deeper then that!"
He met her gaze, then looked away. Finally, he got up, "I'm going out."
"Well, that's certainly better then sitting around the house doing nothing, but where are you going?"
"Somewhere," He answered her.
"And where would this 'somewhere' be?!"
"On Coverdale road," He said, then left the house.
"Coverdale road?" She murmured to herself, "But the only thing there is a cemetery."
She headed for the door to follow Eriol, but then Spinal got in her way.
"Where are you going?" The cat asked her.
"To find out what's on Eriol-sama's mind! He's been really distant today."
"Okay, fine, but don't you think people will be a bit suspicious if they see someone with huge butterfly wings walking around?"
Ruby Moon glanced at her wings, "Yeah, that could be a problem." She closed her eyes, then changed her appearance to look like Nakuru.
"There, that better?"
"Much."
She grinned, "See ya, Suppie-chan!"
"Don't call me that!" He shouted, but by then she was already gone.

**********
Nakuru arrived at the graveyard and saw Eriol kneel in front of a gravestone. She crept closer to him so that she could hear him better. She kinda felt bad about spying, but she really wanted to know what was on his mind. Now that she thought about it, it seemed that he was acting like that every year around this day. She had just never thought about asking why before that.
"Hi mamma," She heard him say, "Sorry if I got here so late. I hope you'll forgive me. I still can't find a spell to bring you back with. I'm starting to wonder if one even exists. But if it does, then I'll find it. You know I will."
Nakuru took a step forward, and winced as a branch snapped under her foot. Eriol turned around quickly.
"What are you doing here?" He demanded.
"I'm sorry. I was worried about you. I was wondering why you seemed so distant."
Eriol relaxed, "I ought to scold you for spying on me, but thanks for caring."
"Why didn't you tell us about your mom?"
Eriol didn't say anything at first, but then he finally looked up, "I wanted to be able to bring her back on my own. I thought that if someone else knew I was trying, then it wouldn't work. Although now that I'm saying it out loud, I realize that it doesn't make much sense."
Nakuru took a step towards him, "Do you think you'll ever be able to bring her back?"
"I hope so, but I've been trying for ten years now. The Clow Reed part of me keeps telling me that I should give up, but I never will."
"That's so sweet," She said in awe, "I'm glad I have such a loyal master!"
Eriol smiled, "I don't mean to be rude, but could you please leave? I'd like to be alone for a little while."
"Sure."
Once he was sure that Nakuru was gone, Eriol turned back to the gravestone.
"I love you mamma. And I'll never, ever give up on you."
He then kissed the top of the gravestone and placed a flower in front of it.
And then he walked away without saying good bye.

~The End~

(A/N: Okay, I think some of you may be confused about the "And then he walked away without saying good bye" parts. It's supposed to mean that he still feels like there's a chance to bring her back, and so that's why he doesn't want to say good bye to her. Um... does it show that it's the first time I try something like that? Anyway, what did you think of the fic? I don't see many Eriol fics out there, so I thought I'd write one about him. After all, he IS my favorite character! I know that most of the facts are probably wrong. So sue me, I didn't see the whole series yet! And by the way, I'm planning a sequel! So be on the lookout! *grins* Please review!)