Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Letting Go ❯ Letting Go ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Letting Go

Author's Note: Wow, this is my first alternate pairing. I'm a huge S/S supporter, but I think I need to broaden my horizons and start accepting alternate couples. After all, there are a lot out there. ^_^

Disclaimer: I don't own Card Captor Sakura.

_________

"It's so nice to finally meet you!" Lina gushed.

Sakura smiled at her enthusiasm. "Likewise," she replied as she shook her hand. "By the way, that's a lovely dress."

"Oh, thank you! I designed it myself! I think it turned out rather well, don't you think?"

Sakura nodded in approval.

Sakura closed the backdoor of the Li Manor. It was true. That was a very beautiful dress. And it had a beautiful bride to go with it. She smiled. 'You chose a good one, Syaoran.'

Sakura was so lost in her own thoughts that she jumped when she heard the door open and close. She turned and saw Syaoran, standing there in his white tuxedo.

He approached her. Sakura turned and closed her eyes. 'Why did I have a feeling that this would happen?'

Then she turned. "It was a lovely ceremony. The reception is going smooth as well. Your wife is a fair wedding planner, Syaoran."

"I didn't come here to talk about the wedding," he said, his eyes solemn.

Sakura sighed. "Please, don't."

"I'm here to apologize, again," Syaoran stated, his head low. "I'm really sorry."

"For what? I bet any guy would be happy to marry Lina. She's a good person," Sakura responded smoothly.

"You can only keep up an act for so long," Syaoran said, studying her face.

"You'd be surprised," Sakura replied. "I don't intent to fall into your arms and beg you to break your marriage when you've just been married an hour ago."

"I wish you would," he said.

"Sorry. I'm not a husband-stealer," she replied.

"I'm not Lina's husband. I didn't really promise eternal love," Syaoran said earnestly.

"Still, you made a vow in front of everyone," she said. "You can't disappoint everyone. Besides, I won't allow you to do it. If you break Lina's heart just for my sake, I won't forgive you," Sakura said, her eyes intense.

Syaoran sighed. "Fine. I won't try anything."

Sakura nodded. "Good."

Syaoran heard a slow song play from inside. He held out his arm. "May I have this dance? It may be the last."

Sakura reluctantly accepted his arm.

Together they swayed slowly in rhythm to the enchanting music.

"Sakura?" Syaoran whispered, his voice barely audible.

"Yes?"

"Thank you for everything. You've taught me life's most valuable lessons. It's true that I'm married, but I'll never forget you."

Sakura nodded. They parted as the song ended. "You'd better get back. Lina's probably looking for you."

"You're not going inside?" Syaoran asked.

Sakura shook her head. "I think I'll stay out here a bit longer."

"Oh. Ok." Syaoran hesitantly made his way back inside.

Sakura sighed in the cool December night. "Alone again."

"Or not."

Sakura whipped around. "Eriol!"

He smiled curtly. "Hello, Sakura."

"I didn't see you at all tonight. Where were you?" she questioned.

"I've been around for the ceremony and the reception. I saw Syaoran come out here, so I figured you were here," Eriol replied.

"Is there something you want to talk about?" Sakura asked. If he was going to tell her about how sorry he was for her because of Syaoran's marriage, she wasn't going to listen. She had gotten enough of that from Tomoyo and Touya (though a violent way in Touya's case) and from Syaoran himself.

However, what he said was quite the contrary. "I can relate."

Sakura's eyebrow arched. "What?"

"Kaho broke up with me just last week," Eriol replied, glancing up at the star-dotted sky.

Sakura gulped. "Oh." 'Oh?! That's such a lame response, Sakura!!'

"If I ask how you are feeling, will it trouble you?" he asked.

Sakura shook her head.

"What do you feel?"

She shrugged. "I… I don't really know. It's a mix, really. Even though Syaoran told me in advance, I still feel a sense of betrayal. There's misery in here, too," she said, putting both hands over her heart, "As well as some anger. And confusion."

"That's quite a mix of emotions," Eriol said.

"I know. But I'm managing to mask them," Sakura said. "Syaoran said he could see through the mask. I know there's no sense in hiding my emotions when he can already see them. I'm afraid that due to habit, I still mask them."

"I've noticed that you also tend to push people away from you when you mask your emotions," Eriol noted.

Sakura shrugged. "That's also a habit."

"You know, if you push people away, it gives a better chance for them to think that something is wrong," he advised.

She frowned. "I really can't help it. If you were in my position, wouldn't you do the same? To keep people from discovering your hidden emotions, wouldn't you push them away as well?"

"Probably. But that has risks. Like I said, people might suspect something. If you can, you should stop pushing people away."

"I can't. It's simply impossible. I'm sure that the only way I can stop is if… if I fall in love again," Sakura replied.

Something in Eriol's eyes flickered. "Is that so impossible?"

She shrugged. "It's highly unlikely that I'll fall in love with someone in my present state. Maybe a little after this wedding, I could fly away to some foreign place and find a new person-."

"Or you could find a new person here," Eriol interrupted.

Sakura's jade eyes met Eriol's sapphire ones. She tried to read the expression in his eyes. "Perhaps. Are… Are you suggesting anyone in particular?"

Eriol opened his mouth and looked as if he was about to say yes, but instead, he shook his head. "No. No one in particular."

"Well, what about you, Eriol? When do you think you'll find your new person?" Sakura asked.

Eriol smiled. "Hopefully soon. I may be the reincarnation of Clow Reed, but there are things that even I can't predict."

"How did you react when Kaho-sensei broke up with you?" Sakura asked.

Eriol's smile wavered.

"You don't have to answer that if you don't want to," she added hastily.

"No, it's not that. I was shocked, but I felt it coming for some odd reason."

"Really? The same with me." Sakura said.

"Still, I find it hard to believe that my descendant actually broke it off. You two seemed to fit each other perfectly."

Sakura shrugged. "You can't help those sort of things."

Eriol admitted that Sakura was doing a good job of hiding her emotions. But he could tell that Sakura was despondent. "Well, Sakura, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here for you. You can trust me."

Sakura smiled slightly. "Thank you, Eriol. That applies to you, two. If you ever want to talk, call me up."

The two smiled in unison. With that, Eriol pulled something from his back and gave it to Sakura.

A single cherry blossom.

"But it's not the correct season," Sakura argued.

Eriol smiled. "Magic can do wonders, Sakura."

"Can it make me love again?" Sakura asked.

"Perhaps."

She smiled. "Let's go back inside. It's getting cold out here."

"All right."

Sakura dropped the blossom and it floated away in the wind. She smiled. What she had just done symbolized her situation with Syaoran. That blossom was a special one, yet she had to let it go sometime. Just like she had to let Syaoran go.

End.

Author's Note: Not very E/S, more like a Sakura angst fic. Ah, whatever.