Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Spellbound ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

* Sixth Year Boys' Dormitory *
 
Ami awoke in her bed on the floor between Harry and Eriol's bed. Noticing a tray of food beside her, she sat up and began to devour the meal. She hadn't realised how hungry she was until she saw it. Standing up she noticed Kai in the middle of the room, utilising the solitude to his advantage. Kai was completing all the punches, kicks and blocks of a combat dance. A combat dance is what you used when you didn't have a partner to spar against, it was invented to keep a fighter limber while still practising all the correct moves. Kai was so absorbed in his combat dance, he didn't realise that he had aquired a spectator. Ami sat amazed as he fought in ways she never knew exsisted. He finished the dance with a high jump-kick, landing as gracefully as a cat. He jumped out of his skin when he heard clapping and cheering. Kai spun to face Ami. "How do you do that?" she asked, "I've never seen anyone move like that!" There was an awed sound to her voice that made Kai smile inspite of himself. "Most of it I was taught, but I've made quite a few moves up myself," he replied, walking towards her, "it's not hard to learn when your parents force you to learn nothing else for the past few years." Ami was shocked by this revelation, "but what about your magic?" she asked, "didn't you study that too?" Kai shook his head. "This is the first time I've actually had time to study my magic," he told her, "so I have to fit as much learning into the next two years as possible."
 
A smile snuck onto her face. ami sat on her bed and motioned for Kai to join her. Once Kai had sat on her bed ami spoke. "Do you a deal," she told him, He raised an eyebrow at her, "you teach me to fight like that, and I'll teach you everything you need to know about magic." The other eyebrow raised. "I aced my OWL's last year, thank you VERY much," she told him, "but I want to learn as much of the fighting arts as I can, and I've learnt all I can from Eriol." Kai regarded her for a moment, taking in the determination of her eyes. "Deal?" she asked. "Deal." "Pinky promise?" Ami held up the pinky of her right hand. Kai blushed, the last person to ask him to pinky promise had been Sakura. Kai raised the pinky of his right hand, "pinky promise." Their pinkys linked, shook once, then broke from the other's hold.
 
Ami spent the rest of the night instructing Kai while he practised his magic, only stepping in to correct him when he needed it. Knowing that she had very little magic from Kai's healings earlier, Ami refused to clean up Kai's mistakes, and instead, talked him through how to correct what he'd done. When Kai sensed Ami starting to tire, he sat down on the bed beside her. He told himself it was only for a moment, so Ami could regain some strength, but by the time Eriol and the other boys came up, they were both fast asleep, side by side. Eriol pulled Ami's covers over them both before crawling into bed himself.
 
Ami awoke first, in the early hours of the morning. The doritory was cold and dark. The sun had yet to rise. She contemplated sitting by the window and watching the sun crawl over the horizon. Making up her mind, Ami tried to sit up, only to find that something was holding her down. She searcdhed for the source of her immobility and found an arm wrapped around her waist, pinning her to the bed, and the owner of the arm. She twisted in the grasp to face her captor, and found herself nose to nose with Kai. Still fast alseep, Kai began to nussle Ami. Letting out a large sigh, he pulled Ami even closer to him. Maybe it was just her imagination, but Ami could swear that his sigh sounded a lot like 'Sakura'. I had to be her imagination, because no one except Eriol knew that 'Sakura' was her real name. Putting it to the back of her mind, she closed her eyes and soon fell alseep again, her heart beating in time to Kai's.
 
Kai woke up just as the sun's first rays were touching the window. Soft, warm air carressed his neck. Gazing down, he saw Ami's gentle face, her breath playing on his neck. Both of her hands gingerly pressed his chest. His own arm was wrapped around her tender body, pulling it as close to him as possible. It felt so wonderful he didn't want to break contact with her, but realising where they were, and remembering a certain object in his trunk, he slowly shifted out of her bed. He was almost entirely out of her bed when she stretched a hand out trying to reach him. A soft groan escaped her lips, and Kai could've sworn it sounded like she'd just said 'Syaoran'. That could'nt be right. He had to be hearing things. No one but Eriol knew that he was really 'Syaoran Li' heir to Clow Reed and future leader of the Li clan. Shiking his head to clear himself of such thoughts, he strode over to his trunk in search of the object that had forced him to leave Ami's bed. His fingers finally closed on a tiny velvet box. Slipping it into his pocket, Kai left the boys' dormitory.
 
Eriol sat up when he heard the door close. He smiled to himself, knowing that they hadn't seen him watching them the whole time. His head was so full of thoughts of them, he knew that if he didn't tell someone he'd burst. Pulling out a quill, a bottle of ink and a sheaf of parchment, Eriol decided to write everything down and send it to the one person who would understand. Tomoyo. Eriol walked down the stairs tot he Common Room to write when he spied Kai sitting close to the fire, turning somthing over in his hands. Sitting down beside Kai, he saw a tiny, green velvet box in Kai's fingers. Eriol gave Kai a questioning glance. Kai sighed, the story had been weighing on his heart for far too long. "As future leader of the Li clan," Kai began, "I have to obtain mastery of the fighting arts, have a sufficient command of magic, and I have to be married. Now, the fighting arts I've already mastered. It only took a few years. Mind you, I am the youngest Master of the fighting arts the Li clan has ever had." A proud smile crossed Kai's lips. "The magic side is what I'm here to learn now, and if Ami keeps teaching me like she did last night, I should learn that in no time." Now it was Eriol's turn to smile. "What worries me is the third catagory. Marriage. That's why I was engaged to Meiling, but marriage shouldn't be about convenience, it should be for love. Fortunately there is a loop-hole in my engagement, if I can find someone I love, who loves me in return, I can marry them instead, but until such time, I'm still technically engaged to Meiling."
 
Kai opened the velvet box, passing it to Eriol. Inside a cluster of pink diamonds had been cut and shaped to perfection to create a pink diamond cherry blossom, set into a silver band. "I had to make that myself. In secret. If Meiling had found out she would've done everything in her power to stop me making it." Eriol couldn't stop staring at the ring, it was beautifully worked. He couldn't believe Kai had made it. "There's only one girl I could ever see myself spending my life with. I've wanted to tell her as much for so long but I was scared she wouldn't feel the same way. Then spending years away from her almost killed me. Only the thought of being able to see her face again kept me going. When I finished my martial arts training, I tricked my mother into letting me have a holiday in Tomaeda. I'd planned to tell her how I felt, and hopefully, if she felt the same way, we would've already been engaged. By the time I got there, she'd already left for boarding school, and hadn't returned since. Now I might never get the chance to ask Sakura." Eriol watched as a single tear wound its way down Kai's face. Closing the box up, Eriol passed it back to Kai, "You'll find her," he whispered, "she can only stay in school for so long."
 
Eriol left Kai, feeling somewhat guilty for not telling him exactly who he'd been cuddling earlier that morning. He had never realised how much he truely loved Sakura, and now he was certain that he had lost his chance with her. What could Eriol do to help? Then it dawned on him, if he made it almost impossible for Ami and Kai to be apart, there was a good chance that they would realise who the other really was. Eriol skipped all the way to the owlery to find Stardust. Once he'd written the latest update in his letter to Tomoyo, he made sure he also wrote one for Ruby Moon and Spinal Sun, knowing they would feel left out otherwise. He watched Stardust skim the top of the trees as she made her way to Tomaeda, and to Tomoyo. Eriol couldn't help wishing that he could fly to Tomoyo himself.
 
School went on. It seemed that draining herself of magic was the best thing that Ami could've done, because her magic soon returned to her, and she found that she had more magic then before.Now that thye were in their sixth year, they were being worked even harder in preparation for their NEWT's exams in the seventh year. Kai couldn't get over how far behind he was, but with nightly instruction from Ami, he was finally headed in the right direction.
 
After what seemed like forever, Stardust returned, with a rather large package. There were letters from Tomoyo, Ruby Moon and Spinal Sun, wishing that Eriol was well, and informing him that they valued his judgement in maters concerning 'Ami' and 'Kai'. The package itself contained A collection of clothes Tomoyo had made for 'Ami' and a note telling Eriol that if 'Kai' was there, she had to make sure that 'Ami' was looking her best. Eriol asked Ami if she could see him in the dormitory for a moment. Once Ami joined him, he gave her the box of outfits, and a letter Tomoyo had written for her. He quickly left Ami sitting on her matress, crying into a letter as she gently lifted out each of the new additions to her wardrobe.
 
Missing Tomoyo seemed to have a rather adverse effect on Ami. She was partnered with Eriol, as usual, but where she normally would've ignored Malfoy and his taunts, today she just couldn't seem to block his voice out. Kai, Eriol and Harry watched, shocked, while the gentle spirit finally lost control in potions. She'd had enough, she couldn't take his jeering a second longer. She waited until Snape had turned around, before hexing a few ingredients to fly into Malfoy's potion, causing a massive explosion. Malfoy was thrown backwards from his couldron from the force of the blow, and those at the neighbouring tables were caught in the tide as the potion was thrust from the couldron. Ami had erected a shield charm just in time, which meant that only the Slytherins were hit by the flying liquid. She watched the Slytherins sprout tiny tentacles on every inch of their flesh. Fortunately, before all the Slytherins had been cured, the bell rang, signaling the Gryffindors to move onto their next class.
 
Eriol spent the entire trip lecturing a helplessly giggling Ami about the dangers of fiddling with potions. It didn't help that thier fellow Gryffindor classmates kept congratulating her on a spectaular display. Kai and Harry had to admit, it was an excellent display of her knolwedge and control of magic. In the end, Ami sighed, "I'm sorry," she told Eriol, "but I just couldn't take him calling me a mudblood one more time, but at least trust me enough to realise that I knew what I was doing and that I wouldn't have permanently injured anyone."
 
Eriol sighed, he did indeed know her well enough to know that she wouldn't hurt them, and he knew that not even he could match Ami for control or power when it came to magic. What had got to Eriol was that most people had enough trouble concentrating on levitating one object at a time, but not only had she controlled multiple ingredients, she had also controlled to precission the ammount of each that she had added to Malfoy's potion. Once they were seated in the Transfiugarion classroom, Eriol decided to inspect Ami's magic. Looking into her core, he saw a ball of burning light. The light itself was a pure silver, but the silver was incased in a pink aura. The change was now permanent, Eriol realised, she had finally become a true beast rider, her magic would stay that way forever.
 
As he truned to look at Professor McGonnagle, his sight was drawn to Kai. His magic had changed too. As Syaoran, Kai's magic had always been a light green. His magic had now become a deep forest green, speckled with tiny flecks of gold. Eriol almost choaked as he realised that Kai was becoming a Beast Rider himself. Ever since Voldemort had returned, everyone in the magical world had become positive that the end of the world was coming. Destiny, it seemed, was leading to a massive war, and Ami and Kai were to play major roles in the protection of humanity.