Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Stars Reborn ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two
 
The final bell of the school day rang and I left my class as quickly as I could. I skipped the trip to my locker—My books and homework could wait—and went straight to Seijo's guidance office.
 
When I walked into the office the only sound was the clicking of a keyboard from one secretary, and the shuffling of papers from the second across the rectangular room.
 
I walked up to the typing secretary, “Excuse me.”
 
The secretary stopped typing, and looked up at her visitor. It was written all over her face that she didn't appreciate being interrupted. “Yes?”
 
“I'm looking for transfer papers to a school in Hong Kong,” I said putting on my best smile.
 
Secretary Number One opened a drawer and handed me some forms. “All you need to do is fill out these, have a guardian sign them, and return the papers A.S.A.P. If you hand in the forms by the end of the week, you'll be able to enter classes in Hong Kong at the beginning of the second trimester,” the secretary explained.
 
I picked up the forms and turned to leave.
 
“One more thing. The forms are to be handed in over there,” Secretary Number One said, pointing to Secretary Number Two.
 
I nodded, “Hai (Hai means yes).”
 
As I walked away from the guidance office, I brushed elbows with someone hiding around the corner. I was so absorbed in the forms that I didn't look up when I apologized.
 
* * * *
 
I'd done it. It'd taken one evening of talking with my father, and a night and morning of thinking it over. Not to mention a night and morning of avoiding my brother at all costs. I had handed in the transfer forms in time to be transferred two weeks before the end of July.
 
Two weeks before the start of the second trimester is plenty of time to get settled and prepare before school starts again in August, and Hong Kong is a city filled with auras over a thousand years old. Which means whoever it is that's been watching me will have a hard time finding me.
 
“Then why am I so nervous?” I asked myself out loud as I sat on a swing in King Penguin Park.
 
“Sakura-chan!” Someone called from the sidewalk.
 
I looked up to see Chiharu, Naoko, Rika and Tomoyo running towards me, and stood up to greet them.
 
“Hi, everyone,” I greeted.
 
Not one to beat around the bush with anything, Tomoyo got right to the point.
 
“What's wrong Sakura-chan?”
 
I raised my hands to reassure them. “I'm just nervous, that's all. Nothing to worry about.”
 
“Is it because of that math test on Thursday? If it is don't worry, you'll do fine,” Chiharu said.
 
“If you need any help you can always ask one of us. It wouldn't be any trouble,” Rika offered. She turned to address the other three. “Right?”
 
Naoko and Chiharu nodded their heads completely sure that that was the answer. Tomoyo nodded with them but a twinkle in her eye. Always present when Tomoyo knew something else was wrong.
 
It was like being hit by a flood of guilt. One second you're fine, the next you're struggling to resurface. Here were all my friends offering to support and help me through anything. What they didn't know was that I was about to leave them all behind.
 
My brother had been right all along. I was a monster. Only now did I actually feel its presence. Stomping around inside me. It was like the Sakura I had known as myself had taken the first plane out of the country and was never coming back. Nice knowing you! Come visit me soon! Ya right.
 
All of a sudden I was trapped in Tomoyo's embrace. A chorus of `What's wrong?' and `Don't cry' was the only thing she could hear.
 
My eyes widened in surprise. I reached my hand up to touch my face. Fingers met moisture. When did I start crying?
 
“You can tell us anything, Sakura-chan,” Tomoyo whispered in Sakura's ear.
 
“I feel so bad! Here you all are trying to help me and I'm leaving two weeks Friday to go to school in Hong Kong. I'm a horrible person. I didn't even think about you when I made the decision. I may as well have thrown away all of you and the memories we've made. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.” Sakura said in between sobs.
 
The floodgates opened. The water wouldn't stop flowing no matter how hard I tried. The truth rode the crashing waves down stream to my mouth. Everyone's going to hate me now. I must be the most filthy, uncaring person they've ever lain their eyes on. I'm not worth their trust anymore. Why can't I stop the tears?
 
Tomoyo made soothing circles on Sakura's back, while the rest came close to become part of the embrace. No, please. Don't do that. You're only making me feel worse
 
“You shouldn't say things like that, Sakura-chan,” Chiharu said in a lecturing tone. Sakura's eyes widen a little. Could she read minds? No that's impossible. Not even Eriol-kun or Clow-san could read minds.
 
“You're not horrible and we're not mad. You shouldn't feel bad at all,” Naoko said.
 
“We were all going to separate in a few years because of school. You just spread your wings earlier than the rest of us. I admire the fact that you're so brave,” Rika said. Her smile was so sincere and proud that I could feel myself smile with her.
 
“We all just want what's best for you, Sakura-chan. We're sure whatever your reasons are, they're the right ones. We already know you wouldn't do anything to hurt us intentionally. You're to kind a person to do that, Sakura-chan,” Tomoyo said.
 
I smiled again. I couldn't help it. The smiles around me were so contagious. “Thank you.”
 
“Oh no!” Chiharu said.
 
The embrace loosened so everyone could see Chiharu. “What? Were you supposed to meet with Yamazaki-kun?” the friends teased her.
 
“No. The streetlights came on while we were talking. Dinner's going to be ready if it isn't already on the table. There goes the phone for the summer,” Chiharu sighed.
 
Panic flashed across Naoko and Rika's faces. “We were supposed to get books from the library for science and Japanese class,” Rika said to Naoko.
 
“Do you think the library's still open? What am I saying, it has to be open,” Naoko said, fresh determination on her face.
 
Rika nodded her head once with the same look.
 
The three quickly said good-bye to me and Tomoyo. Then left to save themselves from punishment and failure.
 
Tomoyo giggled at their antics as they left. I didn't know how to react. Standing with my mouth open seemed to work well.
 
“Shall we get going?” Tomoyou asked me.
 
“Mhm,” I said to stunned to make actual words come out of my mouth.
 
Together we left the park. I walked blithely all the way home. I was in such a good mood that I even agreed to give Keri have my serving of pudding after dinner.
 
* * * *
 
Blithe is bad. Very bad. I walked lighthearted into my house only to chewed on, spit out and trampled alive by a raging Toya.
 
I flinched as Toya slammed his fist on the kitchen table. “You're going to Hong Kong?”
 
“Be careful, Toya. We only have the one table,” Dad said in an attempt to lighten the tension. Unfortunately, it didn't work.
 
“The only thing that makes this worse is I heard it from Yuki! Did you think I wouldn't notice if you weren't living here come next semester?”
 
I dropped my head in shame. I felt like the monster from the park again. The tears were about to burst through the gates for a second time that hour.
 
“I'm sorry, Onii-chan. I didn't know how to tell you. I was afraid you would react like this.” My shoulders were shaking from the effort of holding back the raging tide.
 
Toya sighed. “Don't cry. After all, it's just like a kaijuu to force me to get up and leave town.”
 
Anger won over guilt. I raised my fist in anger, “Onii-chan!” I paused as his words sunk in. “What do you mean leave town?”
 
Toya raised an eyebrow. “Did you honestly think I was going to let you live in Hong Kong alone?”
 
I blinked twice. Three times. “Umm, I,” I had to think of something to say. “I'm going to bed.”
 
As I walked to the stairs I yawned. The day had been more tiring than I'd thought. I feel asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.
 
* * * *
 
The next three weeks passed in a flash. When Sakura looked back at them it was like a slide show. No sound to it. Few of the images being recorded. I hoped nothing important happened during that time. All I had on record were boring, everyday moments. The ones you wish you could forget because they didn't matter at all.
 
I was standing in the terminal saying good-bye to my family. I had heard everything they were saying now all week. `We'll miss you,' `Stay safe,' `Don't terrorize the city to much.' Stupid Toya.
 
I used the time to look around the terminal. There were people everywhere. Some with bags, with food. Some were happy, and others were crying as they parted. One peculiar thing I saw was a large pile of luggage being guarded by two women in suits and sunglasses.
 
I was about to go closer to the luggage. I wanted to see what was so special about it, when my flight was called. The luggage was loaded onto carts and I was rushed onto my plane.
 
After sitting down in my seat, I felt the sudden urge for a nap. Getting up early to get on this plane had taken a chunk out of my sleeping hours. I closed my eyes.
 
A familiar giggle filled the air around me. It made my stomach churn with homesickness. “I just got on the plane and I'm already hearing memories of what I left behind.”
 
The giggle started again. “You're so cute Sakura-chan.”
 
Something wasn't right. The giggle was one thing. Light and quiet. Easy to imagine. The voice on the other hand was too real. It sounded to close. Weren't voices usually echoed or faded in your imagination?
 
Alright, I'll bite. I opened my eyes. Man, they were heavy. “Tomoyo-chan?” I hoped I sounded as surprised as I felt.
 
All Tomoyo did was smile and say, “Sleep Sakura-chan. I'll explain after we land.
 
Sakura tried to nod. “Okay, Tomoyo-chan.” My eyes closed again and didn't open again.
 
Just before I wandered into the world of the unconscience I saw a vision of Kero stuffed in the luggage hold. The image made me fall asleep with a smile on my face. Hopefully he wouldn't be too mad when we landed.
 
* * * *
 
A/N: It's been a while, I know. And yes, I have changed the point of view of this story. It's easier for me to write when I go through the actions and emotions with the characters. So chances are new chapters will come faster then this one did before I switched views. The point of view is probably going to switch between two characters if I keep going with the idea I have. But most of it will be from Sakura's perspective. No more changes, I swear. Please Read And Review.