Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Syaoran's Speech ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

    “Ok. Deep breaths,” Syaoran thought. “You can do this.”  This was the first time Syaoran had given a speech in front of the entire school.  Sure he had done it in class, but class was different.  Sakura wasn't watching.  He was a senior in high school, but anyone would be terrified to give a speech in front of the entire school… anyone.  “Just don't look at her,” he thought, trying to calm himself, “Don't look at her.”
    Syaoran looked over his speech one more time before the time actually came.  He had practiced a hundred times before, but he didn't want to mess up, especially because so many people were there.  His school was very large, and if you messed up on anything, ANYTHING, you wouldn't hear the end of it for months.  He heard his name being called, and a lot of cheering.  Sure, the first time he came to Japan he was unbelievably antisocial, but now almost everyone was his friend, but he was still incredibly nervous.
    The time had finally come.  He took a shaky step toward the microphone.
    “Syaoran!” He heard his name from the crowd, and he was positive that it was Sakura who had yelled it.  He refrained from blushing, but just barely.
    He started his speech.  He had it memorized perfectly… unfortunately.  If he didn't have to look at his note cards, then there was only one other place he could look… his audience.  He tried so hard to avoid her eyes.  He looked at Eriol, and he had a look in his eye that told Syaoran that he knew exactly what he was trying to do, and gave him an encouraging smile.  Syaoran looked down at his notes.  Even though he didn't need it, he wanted to be sure that he avoid eye contact… at all costs.
    Syaoran looked up again, but this time his eyes fell on his cousin, Meilin.  Meilin's eyes too told him that she knew what he was trying so hard to do.  She gave him a small wave, and pointed to her right, then shook her head, indicating to him NOT to look at the person sitting to her right.  He had a hunch about who it was, but he was not willing to risk it.
    Again he glanced down at his notes.  He was still rambling on with his speech without even thinking about it.  When he looked up again his eyes fell on Yamazaki and Chiharu who were sitting together.  Apparently they, too, knew what he was trying to pull.
    “Does the whole freakin school know what I'm trying to pull?”  Syaoran asked himself.  He glanced down at his notes once more.  The speech was almost over!  Just two more paragraphs!  “I can definitely do this!” Syaoran told himself.
    He looked up without thinking, and his eyes instantly fell on Sakura.  He was completely absorbed by her innocent green eyes.  “She is so beautiful,” Syaoran thought.  He could feel his face turning red.  “No!  Don't-  Not now!”  Syaoran thought.  He was trying so hard to refrain from blushing, but he could continue to feel his face getting warmer and warmer.  He could hear many gasps, and other people had started whispering.  He had almost made it!  But now… he was never going to live this down.