Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Symbiote ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Characters related to ‘Card Captor Sakura’ belong to CLAMP respectfully. I wish I owned Venom too, but I’m afraid it’s sole property of Marvel Comics (unless they decide to bid him on eBay, I‘m there!).

Well, as Stan Lee would normally say: ’nuff said.

‘Revenge is like a poison. It can take you over, and before you know it, turn you into something ugly.”

- May Parker, Spider-Man 3.

Symbiote

By Charles Xavier

Chapter One

‘It’ wasn’t sure how long, how far it had traveled. ‘It’ wasn’t sure where fate had brought it. But from that night, ‘it’ had finally discovered land once again. Tired of wondering alone across the boundless seas, ‘it’ still contained its powerful desire to find a new friend. Yet the question remained: who?

XXX

Meiling Li never missed a clear night to enjoy the view at Kowloon Bay. The ocean’s cool breeze brushed her soft face as she heard the sound of boats sailing by. How wonderful it was to enjoy the night at its best, especially when she was returning to Japan soon. She could hardly anticipate Sakura’s reaction when she’d set eyes on Syaoran again. After all their countless adventures already, this was a perfect chance to have a reunion with nothing to trouble them.

However, her privacy was disrupted when her eyes caught something crawling out from the water. Meiling stepped over to investigate. Although hard for her to recognize, it didn’t seem harmful or in any way threatening. Small to say the least, it shifted towards her with pure fascination.

“What’s this?” thought Meiling. She knew for sure that Hong Kong’s waters weren’t precisely the cleanest in the world, and were in fact rather impure. Though what had come crawling to her feet was beyond her knowledge. It was no creature she could name off hand, without a doubt.

‘It’ liked her. ‘It’ liked her a lot. There was no question that she was a perfect friend to bond with. ‘It’ felt great potential inside of her. She was an aggressive and strong-willed girl. A powerful character. ‘It’ needed her…desperately.

“Hey!” Meiling felt it shifting up her leg, attaching itself to her skin like a blood thirsty leech. She yanked it off her knee, gazing at it repulsively in her hand. ‘It’ let out a mousy screech, begging her to be its new friend. But Meiling only frowned at its undeniable grotesqueness. She took no hesitation to flick it back into the water from whence it came.

“Sick.” she grumbled to herself, wiping off the black slime left on her socks. “And these were my best pair!” it looked like the stains were near impossible to clean off. Perhaps it was best to wash them now…

Picking up her bicycle, Meiling decided to head back home early. Though she failed to notice anything strange riding on her back wheel. ‘It’ wasn’t going to let her escape easily…

One week later…

“Sakura-chan, they’re here!” Tomoyo switched her film camera on with sheer excitement. “I’m so happy I charged these batteries overnight!”

Sakura tried everything to hide her blush when a nervous Syaoran appeared, with an elated Meiling skipping behind to catch up with him. While Tomoyo recorded this unfolding event, her screen captured Meiling’s unusual appearance. Although she was just as happy to see them, Tomoyo found it impossible to ignore her gothic choice of wear.

“It’s good to see you both again.” said Syaoran, smiling mildly. “Meiling and I have been looking forward to this immensely.”

“Welcome back, Syaoran-kun…” said Sakura, running to give him a welcoming hug. But she was suddenly intervened when Meiling grabbed hold of him first, in her own loving embrace.

Sakura paused.

“Syaoran-kun!” Meiling cried out, pinching him on the cheek. “Why do I have to carry all these heavy bags? Won’t you help poor old me a little bit?”

Syaoran didn’t know what to say. He found this too embarrassing with Tomoyo still filming. Meiling, on the other hand, had her eyes pointed at Sakura, not looking all too pleased to see her. Her unsettling glance strikingly resembled that of the first time they ever met.

“Hi…Meiling-chan.” Sakura smiled with a sweat drop, a little disturbed by her stern face. “I’m glad to see you came too.”

Meiling didn’t answer, but ‘courteously’ offered her bags to her. “Help me carry these, would you?” she said, rudely shoving the heavy luggage to Sakura. “Syaoran-kun, let’s sit together on the bus!”

She locked her arm round Syaoran’s and rushed away, leaving Tomoyo and Sakura behind in confusion.

“Meiling seems awfully friendly with Syaoran.” said Sakura, struggling to lift the bags.

“I’ve never seen her quite this way before.” said Tomoyo. “It’s rare to see her so happy like this with Syaoran. I thought she had stopped…”

She found it very peculiar. Though this was probably the result of an exhausting flight from Hong Kong. Fun times were waiting just ahead of them…

XXX

“Good morning, class. I would like all of you to welcome back two of our returning exchange students, Li Syaoran and Li Meiling.” announced Mr. Terada. “They will be staying with us for two weeks. So please make them feel welcomed and make their time here a worthwhile experience.”

“Hai!”

The students delivered a large round of applause to welcome them back to Tomoeda Elementary School. Syaoran offered a friendly nod to Sakura, but Meiling did not deliver the same kind of warmth with her crossed eyes. She especially scowled when Sakura waved in return for Syaoran. And in utter defense, she tugged Syaoran by the collar to distract him away.

Even when deciding where to sit, Meiling strongly insisted Syaoran and herself sat together, though clear away from any reach of Kinomoto Sakura. Despite her demanding manner, Mr. Terada kindly fulfilled her wishes. Tomoyo couldn’t let this pass unnoticed…while Sakura grew puzzled by Meiling’s funny behavior.

XXX

Art class was first. This was a nice opportunity to relax for the students, since it was a far more enjoying activity than most. Mr. Terada went around to inspect everyone’s work and offer his comments.

“Very nice, Tomoyo.” he said, watching her brush the skies with clouds on her picture of snowy hills, sparkling with icy waterfalls under a moonlit night. “Keep it up, it looks great already.” he said about Sakura’s colorful work on her cherry blossoms. “Excellent work, Rika!” he highly praised her stunning portrait of himself. “Most intriguing.” he said to Syaoran, painting his accurate vision of China’s Temple of Heaven.

His smile soon faded when he went to check Meiling’s work. “Well, Meiling, this is very…exceptional and very…creative.” he cleared his throat, letting her do the finishing touches to her painting. The entire class gathered round to see it, much to everyone’s astonishment that caused silent whispers to spread. “Sakura…would you like to comment on this?”

She had nothing to say. It was hard to say anything nice about a painting that depicted a ‘chibi’ Sakura being mercilessly gunned down by a cackling ‘chibi’ Meiling, flying rampantly on an armed jet fighter. The flying bullets were especially done in great detail, not to mention the fearful expression on Sakura’s face.

“I’m glad you like it.” said Meiling, hiding her fit of giggles. “It’s certainly brought my feelings out.”

Mr. Terada was feeling skeptical about that, and so was the class. “I’m not entirely sure if this appropriate for this year’s art exhibition. Maybe it’s best you brought this home to keep for yourself…or better yet, show to your family.”

XXX

Gym class never ceased to bore anybody. Not only fun, but it was a good way to let out any awful stress. On Meiling’s behalf, it was a good way to show off some unique acrobatic talent…

“Sakura, you’re next!”

After every student had taken their turn, it was Sakura’s turn to perform. Without much difficulty, she succeeded to execute a show that left her friends gasping in wonder. From start to finish, she displayed her incredible skill to run, jump, back-flip and somersault across the obstacle course without a scratch. She was awarded with high applause. Everyone knew Sakura was always the best at gymnastics.

However, Meiling was the only individual giving the lightest of praise. Considering Sakura’s stunt merely satisfactory, she was willing to show the class what a true gymnast was capable of.

“It’s your turn, Meiling!”

Meiling cracked her knuckles and sped away, giving a performance as awe-inspiring as Sakura’s, leaving many beyond impressed. When she reached the end of the course, she landed safely on all fours, appearing for a moment like a spider. She sprinted up the wall, all the way up to the ceiling, leaving the class gasping out of their breath. She leapt off, swinging across the gymnasium faster than any circus daredevil. Mr. Terada was afraid she would fall, and ran to grab some extra mats. But there was no need for it. After hanging long enough, Meiling swung her way back down to the start, landing safely on her two feet.

The whole gymnasium exploded into a tremendous burst of cheers. Meiling kindly took her bow before her astounded audience. Sakura was all but speechless, and she didn’t miss to see her deliver a smirk in her direction, saying:

“Try to top that.”

XXX

It was lunch time after gym. For a sunny day, the class decided to eat outdoors. They assembled into their own friendly circles and chatted, subjects revolving mainly around Meiling Li. Most unquestionably agreed that she had changed a lot during her last visit.

“Wow…Meiling’s sure one of a kind. She was absolutely amazing.” said Sakura, helping Tomoyo with the blanket. “Or should I say too amazing…? She seems quite different.”

“I agree, Sakura-chan.” said Tomoyo. “Syaoran, would you know anything about her?”

“Not really.” he shrugged, without much clue. “She’s been wildly unusual these past few days. She’s been slashing black clothes in every store, she’s been growing more attached to me for some reason, and I regret to say it, but I think she’s been starting to form a grudge on you, Sakura.”

This was like time repeating itself. Tomoyo distinctly recalled Meiling’s bitter rivalry with Sakura before, but that supposedly ended long ago. Whatever could have made her bring up this souring relationship again?

“Move over!” Meiling interrupted, nudging aside Sakura and sitting down with Syaoran with their drinks. “It’s time for me and Syaoran to spend some quality time together!” she smiled, leaning her head against his shoulder. “Isn’t that right, dear?”

“What?” Syaoran recoiled back bashfully. “Meiling, what’s wrong with you?”

She only chuckled. “Isn’t this a perfect picture, Syaoran-kun? Me and you sitting here on a hot summer’s day, enjoying a nice picnic together? Nobody to bother us…nobody to distract us…nobody to get into our face and stick their nose into our business.” her eyes rolled distrustfully at Sakura. For some inexplicable reason, Sakura felt unnerved. The fiery glow in Meiling’s eyes was anything but comforting to her. Syaoran wasn’t feeling any different either.

“Why don’t we eat now, before our food gets cold?” Tomoyo said, hoping to put a possible confrontation behind.

XXX

Evening at the Li household was enormously quiet and dinner was spent in dead silence. A moody Meiling ignored Syaoran’s serious stare. It was clear that he was widely unimpressed with her manners in school, but more specifically with Sakura. Having tea in their living room, Syaoran wished to have a firm talk with her to get some matters straight.

“What’s bothering you, Syaoran-kun?” said Meiling innocently.

“I think you know well.” Was his severe answer. “I’m not particularly happy with how you’re treating Sakura. You’re not being very nice to her.” Syaoran crossed his arms with his humorless look, showing that he wasn’t kidding around. But Meiling wasn’t in the mood to take this issue seriously as required.

“Come on. Don’t tell me you’re seriously getting romantic thoughts about that dumb penguin, are you?”

“What did you say?” Syaoran snapped.

“Nothing.” Meiling replied, fiddling with her thumbs. “I just wanted to be sure that my fiancé isn’t trying to ruin our special relationship by hanging out with some girl with an ugly beak.”

Syaoran stood up from the couch, deeply enraged by her insults. “This is exactly what I’m talking about! What’s Sakura ever done to you to make you think this way about her? And why are you calling me your fiancé again?”

Meiling remained disturbingly calm, not the slightest intimidated by her cousin’s growing temper. “Did you really believe Sakura when she confessed to you at that Nadeshiko Festival? Did her deceptive voice sound so truthful to your ears?”

“What…what are you saying?” said Syaoran, frustrated to see Meiling trying to change the subject of their discussion. “Lately, you’ve been acting off your rocket! At first, you announced that we were engaged. Then you called it off and forced me to get together with Sakura. And now you’re trying to break us apart! This doesn’t make sense at all!” he couldn’t imagine why Meiling would be toying with him like this. Was it all just some funny joke to freak him out? “And since when had our apparent ‘engagement’ newly start?”

“It was never called off I the first place, Syaoran-kun.” Meiling smiled, much to Syaoran’s dismay. “Know that I’ve still got my eyes set on you.”

She blew him a seductive kiss.

This was enough to stomach for one night. Syaoran quietly marched over to his bedroom and shut the door behind him, locking it. Meiling only sighed in grief and finished sipping her last cup of Chinese tea.

“Sleep tight.” she whispered, waving her sharpened claws. “Don’t let the venomous bugs bite.”

Author’s Note: Phew! Who’d have thought writing this chapter would keep me awake until two in the morning? Looks like I’ll have to go get some shut eye now…

If you’d like me to upload the next chapter, please don’t forget to leave your review! Enjoy the rest of the summer, everyone. And if you haven’t already, please spare the time to watch Spider-Man 3 (if it’s still playing at your local cinema). It’s a worthwhile movie that’s not worth missing on the big screen!