Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The China Doll ❯ Gone ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The China Doll

Chapter 5 - gone

Sakura collapsed on the stage for the fourth time that period.

"Come on class! We've got to be ready for when the music students come in!" her sensei cried for the second time. It was a few months later and Sakura's dance class was doing a performance with the grade eleven music class for the annual concert.

She got back to her aching feet and they began the routine again.

Halfway through, the other class entered the auditorium and quietly took a seat in the front rows to watch them.

Sakura twirled a couple of times and did a few flips but stopped dancing when her eyes locked with a boy in the second row holding a flute. Luckily, though, the dance was over anyways and her abrupt stop went unnoticed.

"Very good!" crowed her sensei, snapping her from Xiao Lang's fierce gaze.

"While they're setting up, would you like to work on your piece, Kinomoto-san?" her sensei asked. She nodded and walked up to the microphone, adjusting it to her height.

"If you tell us the song, I'm sure Li-kun would be happy to accompany you." offered the music sensei. Sakura hesitated for a second.

"Um…s-sure." She stuttered, doing everything to avoid his eyes. She knew that if she looked into them again she might not be able to hold herself together during the song.

"It's a song my father used to sing just after my mother passed away. It's called 'Gone'." She said

"I know the tune to that one." Xiao Lang said and began to play the song, staring at the girl on stage.

'Is that really her?' he thought as she closed her eyes and began to sing…

"There's a thousand words that I can say to make you come home, yeah

Seems so long ago you walked away,

And left me alone.

And I remember what you said to me,

You were acting so strange

Maybe I was too blind to see

That you needed a change"

She opened her eyes and looked painfully at the crowd but kept her eyes away from Xiao Lang.

"Was it something I said to make you turn away,

To make you walk out and leave me cold.

If I could just find a way to make it so that you were right here

Right now…

I've been sittin' here

Can't get you off my mind

I'm trying my best to be myself and be strong

I've drove myself insane

Wishing I could touch your face

But the truth remains

You're gone…"

She paused and accidentally looked at Xiao Lang and saw straight through to his soul. A single tear streaked down her cheek but she continued.

"I don't wanna make excuses baby

Won't change the fact that you're gone no, no

But if there's something I could do

Wont you please let me know

The time is passing so slowly now

Guess that's my life without you

And maybe I could change my everyday

But baby I don't want to."

Now she was singing solely to him and her tears were flowing freely. When he saw the tears streaming down her face as she locked eyes with him, realization dawned on him. The pain in her eyes was so evident that he could feel his own heart breaking.

"So I'll just hang around

And find some things to do

To take my mind off missing you

And I know in my heart

You can't say that you don't love me too

Please say you do, yeah

I've been sittin' here

Can't get you off my mind

I'm trying my best to be myself and be strong

I've drove myself insane

Wishing I could touch your face

But the truth remains

You're gone…

Gone

Gone

Your gone…"

She sang with her emotions and totally forgot about everyone else.

"What will I do

If I can't be with you

Tell me where will I turn to

Baby who will I be

Now that we're apart

Am I still in your heart

Baby why don't you see

That I need you here with me

Oh..."

'Sakura…' but still he played on.

"I've been sittin' here

Can't get you off my mind

I'm trying my best to be myself and be strong

I've drove myself insane

Wishing I could touch your face

But the truth remains

I've been sittin' here

Can't get you off my mind

I'm trying my best to be myself and be strong

I've drove myself insane

Wishing I could touch your face

But the truth remains

You're gone…

You're gone

You're gone…

But the truth remains you're…" she ended.

When she finished the song she wiped her tears away and sniffed a couple of times. She was met by great applause.

Xiao Lang tried to get to her but by the end of the song his class was ready to play and her class was dancing. Sakura excused herself from the group and sat off to the far side of the stage with her back to the classes.

When the bell rang for lunch she ran off and met with Zhian outside. Instead of going to their usual place they found Xiao Yu and Mai and went to a small corner near the front gates, hidden by trees.

"What's with the secrecy?" Mai asked her.

"I…I felt we needed a change…plus, I didn't want to talk to Xiao Lang." She answered, pulling out her lunch.

"Ok, two questions. Why wouldn't you want to talk with…Li-kun, and why do you always call him by his first name? We deserve to know." Insisted Xiao Yu.

"What do you mean?" Sakura asked worriedly, trying to deny what ever they were implying.

"Ever since you came here you've called him by his first name…tell us why. Now. Or we'll ask him ourselves." Zhian threatened. Sakura broke down and began to cry again.

"Do you remember that gossip about Xiao Lang in Japan?" she asked through her tears.

"Yeah. He went to Japan when he was ten, on a family mission. He fell in love with a girl who was involved in his mission but came back before he told her how he felt. Supposedly she was his rival and she had fallen in love with him, too." Recounted Xiao Yu. Mai continued…

"Then, six years later, he went back for her but met another girl and fell in love with her. His family was sick and they called him to return, and he did so, leaving behind the girl who had no idea of his feelings…I kind of feel sorry for him. It's a sad story."

"Well the girl he left behind on the second time was the same girl he left when he was ten. He met a Sakura when he was ten and she fell in love with him. Then when he came back he found the same girl. He didn't recognize her and they fell in love all over again." Sakura told them.

"How do you know all this?" asked Zhian. They were all eagerly listening.

"He met a Sakura Kinomoto." She answered.

"Your sister?!" Mai asked. Sakura had almost forgotten that they knew her as Ying Fa.

"No…me." She sniffed and looked at her feet.

"So…I still don't get it. Why don't you want to talk to him? Don't you still like him?" Mai asked her confusedly.

"I love him, but he still believes there are two Kinomoto Sakuras. He broke my heart twice. How do you talk to that person? How can a simple conversation make it right again?" she cried.

"Sakura…please let me make it right again." A familiar husky voice pleaded behind them.

They all turned around, surprised and watched as Xiao Lang embraced Sakura in a tight hug.

"No!" they heard her muffled cry. He had obviously followed Sakura to the secluded spot and overheard their conversation. She pushed away his arms and turned back to her friends. She picked up her bag and, muttering her apologies, walked away.

Xiao Lang winced at her gesture but followed her anyways. Everybody on the school ground stopped what they were doing and watched in awe as Xiao Lang chased after Sakura.

"Wait Sakura! I'm so sorry!" He cried and grabbed her arm. She turned to face him with a menacing look in her eyes.

"And you expect that to make it all better? Do you expect me to go running into your arms because you finally admit to me feelings you've had since you were ten?" She yelled viciously, very uncharacteristically. "I've suffered through so much heart ache caused by you and you expect me to just melt at your touch when you see fit? No. When you left the first time, you left without so much as a goodbye. Then in your apartment, I practically throw myself at your feet and you walk away. Even when I told you how I felt you still didn't say anything. Sure, your family was sick but you could have done something...then after hours of waiting for you to return I go home to find this!!!" She pulled out his letter that she always kept on her, and threw it to his feet along with the tiny box he had planned to give to her, still unopened. "Whatever that is, I don't want anything to do with it." She yelled and turned and ran out of the schoolyard, leaving Syaoran alone for a change.

To be continued…