Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Funhouse ❯ Laughter in the Dark ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Just a friendly reminder, CCS is owned by CLAMP. OK, so you've heard it before. I dunno. If something is a fanfic, I don't think you have to say you don't own the show or book unless you're the creator or something like that. If I did own Sakura, I really would've requested a preview of the English version before I gave Nelvana my approval. In fact, it's plain wrong for an anime distributor to totally mess around with a show. That's the job of fanfic writers ;o)

Special thanks to all my beta readers, especially Starlight Rose, who made a great effort to keep the OOC-ness to a minimum. Big kudos to all of them for dealing with this story. I'm sure it wasn't easy :o)

OK, enough of the preliminary stuff. Let's move on with the story. To the stage! :o)

[A spotlight shines on the stage. Super Deformed Sakura steps out of the curtain with Kero-chan and stands in the spotlight.]

Sakura: [Waves to the readers.] Hello. A year has passed since I became the Cardmistress (in the anime), so in this story, I'm about twelve (right?). Although Syaoran-kun is in Hong Kong, we still keep in touch and our feelings for each other haven't changed. He's still my number one.

Kero-chan: I think I'm gonna hurl...

Sakura: [Glares at Kero-chan.] Kero-chan! [Returns to the task at hand.] Well, I've captured all the Clow Cards and turned them all into Sakura Cards. Nothing's happened in Tomoeda ever since. Well, things happen, but not weird stuff. In short, I haven't had any adventures as a Cardcaptor for a while now.

[Tomoyo screams from backstage.]

Sakura: [Sweatdrops and shakes her head.] Tomoyo-chan...Anyway, I'm not a Cardcaptor anymore. Technically, I'm the Cardmistress now. No recent weirdness. So I should be living a normal life, right?

Kero-chan: Well, in this story, Sakura takes on a...

Sakura: Kero-chan! Don't spoil it for everyone!

[Sakura grabs Kero-chan and places her hand over his mouth.]

Kero-chan: [Struggles.] Mmmmmmmmph mmmmph mmmph!

Sakura: [Holding Kero-chan.] Like I said before, this story's set after the anime. The second movie is considered the end. Still, I think there are elements from the manga in it. Also, everyone will be more or less in character thanks to Starlight Rose. The writer finds it bothersome when characters from a show aren't acting like themselves. Don't ask me why.

SR: [Sticks her tongue out.] Well, excuse me! Read my post on OOC-ness in the CCS forum.

[Backstage, HA sweatdrops and wonders how SR got into this dialogue.]

Kero-chan: [Breaking free.] Yes! I can breathe! Now where was I? Oh yeah, Sakura's gonna take on a...

Sakura: [Grabs Kero-chan again. Sweatdrops and laughs nervously.] Um, well, you'll have to read the story to find out what happens. Sayonara!

[Sakura dashes behind the curtain with the still struggling Kero-chan. The curtain opens, and the story begins.]

The Funhouse
Prologue: Laughter in the Dark

"So, have you heard from him yet?" Daidouji Tomoyo asked her best friend as they walked home from school.

"Hoe?" Kinomoto Sakura blinked. "Who?"

"You know who I'm talking about." Tomoyo smiled. "You were thinking about him, weren't you?"

Sakura blushed. "Well..."

"It's a shame Li-kun had to go back to Hong Kong," Tomoyo said.

"Yeah, but he had stuff to take care of." Sakura wished Li Syaoran would have stayed in Japan. His amber eyes, brown hair, and stern yet kindly face stood out in her mind. "At least he knows how I feel about him," she said, relieved. She recalled how long it took for her to admit to Syaoran how she felt about him.

"You two were so kawaii together," Tomoyo teased. "So, did he write or call you?"

The crimson shade on Sakura's face spread. "Yes, he did write me," she answered with her head bowed. "He hopes to visit during the next school break. His business in Hong Kong is almost resolved."

"That's good to hear," Tomoyo remarked. "Maybe one day he can come and stay for good."

"I doubt it," Sakura said. "He doesn't have a reason to stay in Tomoeda."

Tomoyo nodded and they continued walking. "Well, with Hiirigizawa-kun gone and you being the Mistress of the Sakura Cards, we won't be having any more adventures," she mentioned.

Sakura reflected on that statement. A year had passed since Sakura captured all of the Clow Cards and transformed them into the Sakura Cards. The latter was the result of magical events created by Eriol Hiiragizawa, a transfer student from England and the reincarnation of the Cards' creator, Clow Read. On first glimpse a malevolent entity, Eriol's goal was to help Sakura make her magic stronger so she could control the Cards. They parted on good terms when Eriol returned to England and still kept in touch.

"I guess now I can live a normal life," Sakura said. "No more magical cards to chase around."

Tomoyo expressed her disappointment. "And I had so many new designs for your battle costumes. Plus, I won't be able to film you on your exciting adventures."

Sakura sweatdropped. "Tomoyo-chan..."

"At least I can make your wedding dress and film that," Tomoyo said with glittery eyes and a dreamy look.

The two friends continued talking, unaware something was watching them. A mechanical bird perched on a rooftop transmitted their actions to another location.

* * * * *

In a dark room, someone watched the Mistress of the Sakura Cards and her friend. His red pupils studied the young girl closely on the screen before him.

"So, you think things are dull around here, Cardmistress?" he said in a lively voice. His mouth formed a maniacal toothy grin. "Oh, don't worry, I'll liven things up around here just for you."

He tilted his head back and unleashed laughter that sounded like evil, high-pitched gurgling. He waved a clawed hand, and the screen vanished.

"Is everything ready?" he asked something with yellow eyes floating behind him.

"Yes, Master. We only await your command," the creature answered.

"Good, good, good!" he declared, facing his minion. Red eyes met yellow eyes. "Oh, what wonderful fun I'll have." He spun around, then stopped and rose his arms. "It's play time!" he shouted before erupting into a fit of evil laughter.