Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Unrequited ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3

Tomoyo quietly tip-toed down the stairs and walked over to the door. Fortunately, it had been easy to get rid of Spinel, with a little help from Nakuru. She tried the door handle and, finding it unlocked, she pulled it open.

The study was dimly lit and silent, just the way Eriol liked it. Tomoyo slipped in and shut the door behind her. She snuck over to the large armchair and peered around it.

Eriol was sitting there with his eyes closed. She could tell he wasn't asleep. He was probably meditating. But she was going to bring a quick stop to that.

Tomoyo smiled mischievously and hopped into his lap. "Konnichiwa, Eriol-kun!" she giggled, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Eriol's eyes snapped open instantly. "Tomoyo-chan, what are you…" He fell silent upon noticing what she was wearing-or more precisely-what she wasn't.

"What? You don't like my shirt?" Tomoyo asked, looking down at it. "It's yours, isn't it?"

"Yes, I know," he said slowly. "But, Tomoyo-chan…where is the rest of the outfit?"

"Right here," she replied, pointing at a pair of shorts that were almost hidden completely by the shirt. As she did so, she wiggled her hips in his lap. "See?"

Eriol's face became unreadable for a moment, and he was glad Tomoyo wasn't looking at him. "You have a very strange sense of fashion," he said after he'd regained his composure.

Tomoyo pouted, looking somewhere between incredibly childish and absolutely adorable. "Eriol-kun, you're making fun of me!"

Eriol smiled at her. "I'm sorry, Tomoyo-chan. Forgive me?"

"No! First you have to say something nice about my outfit!" she insisted.

Eriol chuckled. "Eh…it can't get any worse?"

"Eriol!" she cried, hitting his chest with her fists.

"Sorry! Just kidding, Tomoyo-chan," Eriol said, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Tomoyo glared at him. "Say something nice or I'm leaving!"

"Fine, fine." Eriol placed his hand on her right knee and gently ran it up her leg, tracing her soft skin with his fingers. "You have lovely legs," he said seriously, pausing at her thigh.

Tomoyo blushed before placing her hand on his, keeping it from moving further. "Eriol-kun…what are you doing? My legs aren't part of the outfit."

Eriol noticed (with some excitement) that she hadn't removed his hand. "I disagree, Tomoyo-chan. They're one of my favorite parts. Besides, you're the one showing them off."

"And did I say you could touch them?" Tomoyo asked, giving his hand a light squeeze.

"No, but I don't remember asking you to jump in my lap."

"That's different!" Tomoyo protested. "I wanted to surprise you!"

Eriol's other hand came to rest on her left thigh. "Didn't this surprise you?"

Tomoyo blushed before trapping that hand in the same manner. "Eriol-kun, what's gotten into you?"

"You have, my Tomo-chan," he whispered in her ear. Eriol reached up to cup her cheek, slowly turning her face to his. He leaned forward, hoping to receive the kiss he'd been looking forward to for a long time. And he did get it.

On the forehead.

Eriol blinked in disbelief as Tomoyo pulled his face to her chest and ran her fingers through his hair. "Oh, Eri-kun. You don't have to do this."

"Do what, Tomoyo-chan?" he asked, trying not to make his disappointment obvious.

"Try to make me feel attractive. It's not my looks that are bothering me." She slid off his lap and leaned down to kiss his cheek. "But don't ever think I don't appreciate you." With that, she turned and walked out of the study.

Eriol sighed heavily and sank into his armchair. "Maybe it's time to give Sakura-chan's idea a try."

* * * * *

Spinel purred softly and stretched out across Tomoyo's lap. "Lower, please."

Tomoyo smiled and ran her fingers down his back, brushing his silky fur with her fingertips. "Like this?"

Spinel's answer was a sound that started as a light purring and almost ended up as a growl. "My GOD, woman! How do you DO that?!"

Tomoyo giggled. "If you must know, I sew. Maybe I don't have any powers, but I still have my own magic."

"I could get used to your magic." Spinel opened one eye. "Unlike some OTHER people I know."

Nakuru glared at him from across the living room. "The instant she leaves, I'm going to toss you in the oven and set it on broil."

"You wouldn't dare."

Nakuru smacked her lips. "I can hardly wait to see Eriol-sama's face when I tell him we're having roasted Suppi-chan!"

Spinel leaped to Tomoyo's shoulder. "Do you see what I have to live with?!" He hissed at Nakuru.

"Don't worry, Spinel," Tomoyo assured him, reaching up to scratch his chin with a finger. "I won't let her hurt you."

Spinel rubbed his cheek against hers. "That's it; I've decided. You're moving in with us. Right now. You can have her room."

"HEY!" Nakuru shouted.

Tomoyo stroked Spinel's head. "I appreciate the offer, Spinel, but-"

"Pleeeeease, Daidouji-san?" Spinel begged, brushing her cheek with his tail. "It's not as if we don't have room, and I'm sure Eriol-sama wouldn't mind…"

"He is more pleasant with you around," Nakuru said thoughtfully. "And it would be nice to have another girl to talk to. Won't you at least think about it, Tomoyo-chan? For us?"

Tomoyo stared at her uncertainly. "You…really think Eriol-kun wants me to stay here?"

"Oh, of course!" Nakuru insisted. "Why, just the other day I heard him talking about how much he lmmmph!" The sentence ended abruptly when Spinel suddenly threw himself at Nakuru's mouth.

She waved her arms about frantically, racing around the room.

Tomoyo blinked in surprise. "Spinel, what are you doing?"

Nakuru finally yanked Spinel off her mouth. "He's trying to tell me that he wants to be cooked early!"

The tiny creature then realized his mistake. "Noooo!" Spinel wailed, struggling to get away.

"Let him go, Nakuru-chan." Tomoyo frowned at her.

Nakuru sighed and let Spinel go. He quickly returned to the safety of Tomoyo's shoulder. "She won't always be here to save you."

Spinel stuck out his tongue. "Well, she's here NOW."

* * * * *

"You have got have a talk with Nakuru about secrecy. Mainly, how to maintain it."

Eriol didn't open his eyes, even as he felt Spinel's slight weight on his knee. "Trouble?"

"For you, yes. She almost told Daidouji-san how you really feel."

"That could hardly be considered a problem. With my luck, she wouldn't have believed it, anyway."

"Even if you are right, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more careful."

"Careful of what, Spinel?" Eriol asked. "I WANT her to find out. At this point, I'm almost beyond caring about the how."

"I suggest you rethink that theory," Spinel said as he flew off. "Especially since she's coming this way."

A few seconds later, true to Spinel's words, Eriol heard a gentle voice above him.

"Is something wrong, Eriol-kun?"

"Of course not, Tomoyo-chan. I merely decided that my armchair wouldn't meet my reclining requirements today. Hence, the change of scenery."

"I see," she said quietly. "Is there room for one more on that couch?"

"Yes. There always is." Eriol was a little surprised when he felt his head being lifted. "What…?"

"Just relax."

Eriol's eyes almost snapped open when he realized his head was in Tomoyo's lap. He calmed down considerably, however, upon realizing she'd put on more clothing since their last encounter. He did his best to relax, though impossible it currently seemed.

Tomoyo gently entwined her fingers in his hair. "I had a nice talk with Spinel and Nakuru."

"Oh?"

"They…suggested, among other things, that I seriously consider…moving in."

"Hmm. What do you think?" Eriol asked, suppressing his excitement by sounding only slightly interested.

"I thought…I should ask you first."

"Ask me?"

"Yes. It is your house, and-"

"And when have you not been welcome in it, Tomoyo-chan?" he interrupted.

There was a long pause before she finally said, "You mean…I can?"

"If that's what you want," Eriol replied.

"But…do you want me to?" Tomoyo pressed.

"That is not my right to say. If you would be happier staying somewhere else…"

"Then what?"

"Then I could never keep you here against your wishes."

Tomoyo blinked a few times. "Eriol-kun, are you avoiding the question?"

"I'm only saying that I have no say in the matter. Ultimately, it's your decision."

"Yes, I know. But do you want me here?"

"What I want, Tomoyo-chan, is for you to be happy. If you are happy here, then I invite you to stay."

"But you know I'm happy when I'm with you."

Eriol slowly opened his eyes. "Well, I certainly don't plan to go anywhere in the near future."

Tomoyo smiled down at him. "I'll have someone bring my things, then."

"There, you see?" Eriol closed his eyes again. "You didn't need my opinion at all."

"No, I suppose I didn't." Tomoyo carefully lifted his head and stood up. "Oh, and Eriol-kun?"

"Hmm?"

She leaned down and kissed his forehead. "Thank you." Then she rushed off to tell his Guardians the good news.

Eriol opened his eyes and smiled. "Well, that was productive."