Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Vigil ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Challenge: Tsukimineshrine LJ challenge - Forgiveness
Canon: Post-final judgment, Pre-Sakura card arc but AU, could technically be Canon but… better not to be safe
Pairing: Not unless you squint
Rating: Pg-13
Word Count: 822
Genre: Angst, Darkfic, possible OOCness
Title: Vigil
 
The drip-drip of wax is irritatingly loud, though he's surprised he can hear it over the whirr of the machines, a gentle metallic hum and even in the dark, several panels of light are blinking. The hand in his is cold and small, and white.
A child.
He never thought that the boy would take failure so badly. He knows that it's risky to be sitting here, he knows that his new mistress is far from strong enough to support him, he knows that this will drain his magic like nothing else, but shockingly, he doesn't care much at the moment.
Clow is dead. He has a new mistress. She can't support him. For all he knows, death is just around the corner. He might as well make what's left of his life - if this immortal state can be called life - worthwhile.
The boy was already injured - he knew several of his crystals hit, and he was clutching his side even before he fell off the roof, but that isn't what caused this, oh no. He saw that after Sakura had left with Tomoyo, the boy had wandered aimlessly down the street and had not seen the car coming. Or, more frightening, that he had seen it and had simply refused to move.
The newspaper lies in his lap, but he gave up reading it long ago, the words blurring into a mess of black ink, black as the asphalt and white as… skin and bone, the bits that didn't wind up covered in blood.
Those eyes, that went from fiercely determined and arrogant to humiliated submission in instants are closed now, lids tightly shut. The doctors are doubtful that he will wake any time soon. It took six hours for them to stitch him up and even now, it's still touch and go.
Foolish, for the Clan to pin all their hopes on a mere boy, and he did not even have the Sealing Staff. Yet, he fought well, or at least tried, and Clow had already manipulated them all into this farce of a Judgment so he could not blame Clow's descendant for being upset. Actually, upset was too mild a word.
His eyes drifted to the candle on the window. White wax, conjured with some help from Create, a whisper and than a smile. Illusion had hidden it from the medical staff, and now, he watched the taper shrink in size, flame still brightly burning.
Risky, this spell, but the boy had moon magic as he did, and it was worth a try. Clow would not be pleased, and even if Clow was dead, Yue still respected his wishes - to a point. It was unforgivable to actually kill in Judgment.
His mistress didn't know, and neither did Cerberus. The less they knew of his failure, the better. He had no wish to endure the sun guardian - his sibling's taunts, even in mock fighting. Unforgivable.
Fingers twitched for a spit second in his hands, and then went still again. Expected. However, he could feel the magic around the boy - his life-magic, green-tinted silver, growing steadier. The candle on the window gave a brief flare and then subsided again, but its flame was steady.
Excellent.
The moon was sinking outside, steadily. It was almost dawn. If he had succeeded, he would see the results very soon. He stood, reached, felt for a pulse. Faint, but there. It was enough. Watched as eyes opened in confusion, than shock, sliding towards fear… saw the instinctive grab for the sword amulet and then uncertainty when it was not there…
The spell was complete. The candle guttered out, though there was no wind. He faced the boy with an emotionless glance, before he took him in his arms, watching the cords and wires drop to the ground, and kissed him.
Syaoran's eyes went wide but it was not so much the kiss as the feeling of silvery moonlight flowing through it, sealing his injuries and wiping his mind of all thoughts except for power… intoxicating…
He caught the boy as he fell, ignored the staff and their cries as they rushed in, narrowed his eyes and felt the power of Erase flood him as he raised a hand. “Forget.”
The wide-encompassing spell caught all of them, including the boy in his arms. A flicker of moment and he was out the window. Another few moments and the boy woke up in bed, utterly confused and wondering how he'd gotten there.
He would remember the Judgment, but not what came after. Hopefully, he would not make the same mistake twice.
 
Yue closed his eyes and let Yukito `wake up' in his own bed, although Yukito did wonder why he felt so tired… he'd given more of himself in the spell than he'd calculated, and he would have to pay the price. Later.
For now, he slept and congratulated himself for a job well done.
Forgive me…
 
End Fic
Completed 10/24/05
Does this count as making amends? Does it? *Jumps up and down* I don't know where this bunny came from, really I don't! But it might explain why Yue was… um, running out of power, even though there's already an explanation, and as for Yue kissing Syaoran - ah, well, I like the pairing, and in fics whenever Yue and Yukito both exist, Yukito goes to Touya and Yue goes to Syaoran if he's not already with someone. So! ^^ I hope someone enjoys it!