Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Going Down ❯ Dropping The Bomb ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Going Down

Disclaimers: I do not own Case Closed/ Detective Conan. Whoo boy. Never thought I would say that, did ya?

-LAST TIME ON GOING DOWN-

I can't believe Richard broke my watch…

Is this what people feel like when they know they are about to die?

Otherwise, it would have all been in vain.

He would never be Kudo again.

Then he dug into his palm- one single symbol.

Well Richard. I can't spell it out to you any better.

The elevator lurched- and then fell.

--------------------

Chapter 1:

Dropping The Bomb

--------------------

"If my survival caused another to perish, then death would be sweeter and more beloved."
-Kahlil Gibran

---

The constant thudding of a young boy's feet, running up down the stairs, echoed painfully in Mr. Moore's ears. He leaned forward in his seat, glaring a hole through his newspaper, trying desperately to ignore the pounding. It didn't work. The noise continued to echo and the text was just too hard to read when the eye was a inch from the page.

I swear he does this just to piss me off…

"Conan! Cut it out!" Mr. Moore shouted up the stairs.

A little head poked it's way out from the banisters and stared down at him feverishly. The blue eyes behind the large bi-focals were glaring.

"I can't find my watch!" He whined pathetically, "I've looked everywhere!"

The boy let out an exasperated sigh and stuck his feet out between the bars. He looked much so much younger that way, Richard mused.

The boy often was garbed in the eccentric imitation of a business suit. Red bow tie to top it off. Richard could never understand why kids wanted to grow up so fast. The brat often tried to solve some of his own cases too. Something he quickly squashed.

Like he even knew what he was talking about anyway. Child detectives? That's crazy.

Richard sighed to himself. For just being Kudo's cousin the boy acted a lot like him. More like a nasty little clone. He shivered at the thought. One of Kudo was enough.

"Get your head out of there," He snapped rapping the child over the head, "You'll get it stuck and then I'll have to get you out."

Conan pulled back, rubbing his sore head.

"Liar. You wouldn't help me if I got stuck."

"Hm. You're right," Richard chuckled going back to his newspaper as Conan fumed.

Carelessly, Richard waved over his shoulder to stop the child before he rushed off again.

"Hurry up, Conan. We are leaving soon as Rachel finishes the laundry."

Conan's face turned beat red. He let out a irritated snort as he rounded back up the stairs mumbling about old geezers and watches. He had only been gone for a second before Richard heard the footsteps again.

"What now, Conan?"

"I'm not talking to you."

Mr. Moore looked over the rim of his paper as Conan walked past him to the kitchen. There he proceed to open and shuffle through the many cabinets.

"Well ha! You had to talk to me to tell me you wouldn't talk to me," Richard laughed sticking out his tongue immaturely, "So I win."

Conan paused his search, grumbling irately to himself.

"You're just angry cause you lost, brat."

Richard leaned back victoriously in his chair just as the laundry room's door opened. A large basket of garments exited emitting many groans and moans. Both Richard and Conan turned to the basket and greeted with the informal, "Hey Rachel."

"Oh yeah," A voice grunted.

The basket dropped to the floor as the girl's arms gave way to it's weight. A sweaty brunette emerged from behind the load wearing a pink tank and jeans. She scowled at her father and spat,

"See you're so eager to help me," Rachel snapped sarcastically, "Aren't you supposed to be the big strong man of the house?"

"Have Conan help you. I studying for my next case," Mr. Moore smiled shaking his newspaper strait.

Rachel huffed in disapproval and turned her attention back on the eight year old. He was there exactly on cue, sad face all set.

"Something wrong, Conan?" Rachel asked in concern.

"My-"

"Oh gawd, don't get him started again," Richard groaned, "He lost his stupid watch."

"I didn't lose it!" protested Conan, "I just can't find it."

Richard rolled his eyes. Conan saw it and glowered in response.

"Where did you last have it?"

Conan sighed.

Richard watched the child from behind the paper with curious eyes. It wasn't often that Conan lost things actually. He seemed to be a detector for those kind of things. Most of the time, Rachel used Conan as a way to track down their lost car keys.

Not that I ever lost them.

"I always place it right on the dresser if I'm not wearing it. But I checked there! All around there! And everywhere else too! I can't find it anywhere!"

"Calm down, Conan. I'm sure it will show u-"

Conan's eyes fell upon the laundry basket.

"Hey… Didn't that shirt use to be yellow?"

Rachel looked down and sighed.

"Yes. I forgot."

She rounded upon her father, "You tried to do laundry earlier, didn't you, Dad? You don't put lights in with darks!"

Mr. Moore faltered under his daughter's anger and meekly replied,

"I'm sorry, Rach. I didn't mean to- I forgot…"

"Don't "Rach" me, buster! You ruined my favorite shirt!"

She brandished the reddish green tee in her father's face for proof. Mr. Moore just chuckled weakly,

"It looks very pretty. Tie dye's a very popular look."

"For the seventies!"

Richard rose from his seat to meet his daughter's antagonism.

"Now! Don't use that tone with me! I'm your father!"

"Oh please," Rachel began with a roll of her eyes, "I'm seventeen now. You can't use that against me any-"

A shrill squeal interrupted their argument. Both father and daughter turned to find Conan, face first in the clean laundry- feet wagging pointlessly in the air.

"CONAN!" Rachel cried grabbing the boy by the ankles.

Conan let a small "whoa" as the teen yanked him out of the sea of garments. Clothing scattered the kitchen floor from their struggle. A young boy, hung upside down, smiled guiltily up at his temporary teenage guardian.

"Just what were you doing, Conan?" Rachel snapped, up-righting the eight year old, "Now you got the laundry all mixed up."

Conan sent Richard a glare and then showed Rachel his opened hand.

"I found it," He muttered grumpily.

"Oh…" Rachel frowned, taking the broken watch. "I'm sorry, Conan."

"It's not your fault," Conan snapped, pointing his index finger at Richard, "He did it."

"Me?" Richard laughed, "What did I do?"

"My dirty laundry basket is right by my dresser. My guess is that you brushed past it when picking up my laundry, and knocked the watch into the open wicker basket. So… when you did the laundry you ended up washing my watch too," Conan declared boldly, hand outstretched still.

Richard's eye twitched. He's standing just like Kudo. How strange.

"Oh. Then it was just an accident," Rachel sighed, "It's alright, Conan. We'll go by Dr. Agasa's place later, okay? I'm sure he can fix it. He's really good with those sort of things."

"Alright…" Conan moaned, lowering his accusing finger.

"If you were more careful with your stuff, shorty, you wouldn't have had it broken in the first place."

Richard roughly noggied the boy just to receive a shifty glance. Rachel sent the two boys a warning look before spotting the clock. It was just slightly after seven.

"Eh. Crud. We were supposed to meet Mr. Meguire over ten minutes ago!"

She gave the basket a swift kick to get it out of the entry way and took Conan's wrist before he could protest. Richard watched his daughter drag Kudo's brat of a cousin out the door with little interest.

When's Kudo going to pick him up?

He reached for his jacket, that was draped over his chair, and paused.

A sudden and eerie chill swept over the detective. It ran down his spine leaving a numbing tingle in it's wake.

Whoa. That didn't feel friendly.

Ignoring it, he shook his jacket free of the chair and headed out the door.

"Allergies. That time of season," He uttered as jiggled the lock and shut the door behind him.

---

"Conan. Don't touch," Rachel snapped swatting the boy's hand as he reached for a smudged trophy.

Conan retreated back into his chair, looking irritated.

He's never quite good in waiting rooms. Such a jitter bug.

Rachel smiled at his annoyance and turned back to the rapt conversation her father was having with Mr. Meguire.

"…It was obvious. She had murderer written all over her face."

"But why did you keep changing your mind, Moore? I swear- it's like you have a dual personality."

"Maybe I do."

Richard broke out into a ridiculous laugh that quickly got him hushed by the receptionist. Rachel chuckled lightly to herself and turned back to Conan. His face was priceless. Often Rachel caught the silly expressions he made after her father's rather dippy remarks. They both never ceased to amuse her.

He's definitely a blood relative of Jimmy's.

Oh. That reminds me- "Conan. Jimmy called the other day," Rachel smiled, "I told him you were out playing."

Conan leaned interestedly in his chair.

"Really? What'd he say?"

"The normal. He asked what was going on with us," She smiled and then winked at him, "I told him about those criminals you and your friends caught at the mall. He sounded real proud of you."

Conan laughed weakly, turning slightly pink. Rachel merely giggled.

He gets embarrassed so easily. Just like another fellow I know…

"Who are we meeting, Inspector?" Conan asked, quickly changing the topic.

Richard looked a bit disgruntled at being interrupted during his gloating fest but he said nothing.

Meguire thumbed his chin and smiled over at the little boy,

"One of my old colleges. He runs this company. Kasei Inc. They make a rather profitable business off of Pa Chinko if I recall correctly."

"Wow! The whole company!" Conan whistled, "Is he rich?"

"I guess," Meguire shrugged, "I don't recall ever asking him."

There was a sudden slam as the door swung open. All heads turned to it. The young receptionist barely caught a painting that fell from the effect.

Looks like she was expecting that. Rachel ruminated to herself.

A young man, with a starchy figure and bright blonde hair, stood in the doorway. His face was livid; unable to look at anyone in the room. He had nearly crossed the entire way when a rather stubby man had appeared in the entry frame.

"Come now, Naoki."

The boy whirled about- his expression far from softening.

"Leave me alone, old man."

"Jay! What's this all about?"

Meguire was standing now. His shout seemed to have been directed to the stump of a man in the doorframe.

The man stroked his slightly balding hair nervously and muttered his introductions,

"That, Meguire, is my son, Na-"

"I'm Naoki." The teen interrupted curtly.

"Yes," The man smiled weakly, "You see, my son is going to run the Kasei company soon. So Mrs. San was showing him around."

Rachel suddenly noticed the shady woman behind Jay- as the inspector had called him. She wore a rather plain work uniform and a solemn expression. Even the bun atop her head gave her a strict and lowly disposition.

"Sheesh. She looks like my 8th grade math teacher," Rachel heard Conan mutter.

"Conan," Rachel replied, cocking an eyebrow, "You haven't reached 8th grade yet."

"Oh. Eh. I meant 3rd err… 2nd grade," Conan chuckled sheepishly tucking an arm behind his neck.

Rachel turned attention back on the argument, shaking her head lightly.

"You didn't wanna have anything to do with me until I turned thirteen," Naoki hissed, "You fought for possession over me just because you suddenly realized I was your only heir."

"Naoki," Jay replied stepping forward. "I only wanted what was best for you."

"Me and mom were doing just fine," The teenager moved for the door, "It doesn't matter really. Once I turn eighteen, I'm outta of here."

The door slammed rather harshly at his exit. The Moore's and Conan flinched.

"I'm sorry about that, Meguire. He's been a bit off ever since his mother passed."

Rachel looked over towards him to see that Ms. San was already gone.

She must have followed Naoki.

As if suddenly realizing there were other people in the room, Jay lightened up considerably.

"And who are your friends?"

"Oh. This is Mr. Moore and his daughter. And that there is Conan."

"Pleased to meet you," Both Rachel and Conan chimed together, bowing.

"Moore? The detective?" Jay exclaimed, "Why! You're famous! Inspector's told me all about your work."

Uh oh. Here we go.

"Well, I wouldn't call it famous…" Richard began, a bright grin on his face.

"That's right. We can't all be Kudo, right?" Meguire cut in, saving them yet another series of gloating.

Conan was blushing slightly. Rachel wasted no time introducing him with the door already open,

"Actually, Conan here is Jimmy's cousin. He's living with us until Jimmy returns for him."

"That's extraordinary," Jay spoke quickly.

He doesn't look very impressed.

"Oh. How rude. I didn't introduce myself. My name is Mr. Kasei. Owner of Kasei Inc," He smiled and then waved towards his office, "Come on. We have loads to talk about. I haven't seen you in ages, Meguire. I hear you're an Inspector now…"

He led them in, bantering on about matters that the Moores could care less about. Conan trailed behind them taking in his surroundings. Rachel thought about fetching him but decided against it. He was probably bored to death.

It's too bad that Meguire wanted all of us here. I should have stayed home with Conan.

"Mr. Kasei?" Conan spoke up suddenly.

"Hmm?"

"What's this briefcase doing in the door way?"

He gave it a small kick. It didn't budge.

"Ah that," He smiled softly, "Just a spare. I leave it there as a door rest."

Conan drifted back to Rachel's side again. She was comforted by his presence. Rachel found that even she was getting a tad bored.

"Excuse me?"

The group turned and the man at the door drew back slightly at their stares.

"Oh sorry. Am I interrupting anything?"

"Hmm. You're Mr. Jirashii?" Kasei inquired wearily.

He straitened up considerably as a weak attempt to look more dignified.

"Yessir."

"Well, wait outside. I'll be with you in a moment's time."

He looked a bit ousted but quickly complied to Kasei's request. Soon as the door shut, Kasei let out a long goaded sigh.

"Who was that, Jay?" Meguire asked curiously.

"He's here for a job offer. I've already refused him twice. Damn stubborn. Nasty temperament too."

"If he's been refused twice, why does he keep coming back?" asked Conan innocently.

"Good question. Wish I knew," Kasei sighed pulling a cigar box from his desk drawer.

He offered one to Meguire and Richard. Both reached for one. Richard pulled back as soon as he spotted the look on his daughter's face. He quickly recomposed himself. Conan was smiling,

"Whipped," Rachel heard him whisper.

She thought about responding but decided he was right.

"Sounds like you got a stalker," Richard winked, "I can help you there."

"Dad…" Rachel groaned shifting in her chair.

"It's very kind of you, Mr. Moore," Kasei nodded chewing on the end of his cigar as searched for a lighter, "But I doubt I'd need a detective for any of my mysteries…"

He pulled out a cheap pink lighter from another of his drawers and smiled up at them.

"Knock on wood, of course," He continued rapping playfully on his desk.

---

"We had a great time, Mr. Kasei, but I'm afraid it's late." Meguire called as they left his office.

"Ah. I see," Mr. Kasei replied while following them out, "Looks like we are the only ones left. Everyone else must have gone home for the night. It's suspected… I think I'll go to."

He stretched his arms in a docile fashion.

"Got all my work done after all."

Rachel sighed checking her watch in her weariness.

We were in there for two hours.

She groaned and turned to see Conan slumped the same way as her. He blushed and quickly collected himself, wiping away any fatigue he had shown before.

Wish I could do that.

The young female looked up just as a man stepped forward. He was a fairly distinguished looking gentlemen with a strait back and a slightly porky belly. His face was kind and quite likable. Rachel smiled and he returned it just before rounding upon Mr. Kasei.

"Mr. Kasei. Our appointment?"

"No way!" The man from before, Mr. Jirachii snapped. "I was first."

Despite how friendly he looked, Rachel noted that Mr. Kasei didn't seem thrilled to see him.

"Ah yes. I did promise to meet with you, didn't I, Mr. Ritani?"

"Please. Call me, Tai."

Kasei didn't look too thrilled at the idea but in spite of that he repeated the man's first name as closure.

"But sir! I was first."

"It will only take a minute, Mr. Jirachii."

Kasei turned back to his leaving guests and smiled,

"Well, it terrific meeting you. And seeing you again, Meguire. Good night."

"Ah good night, Jay."

They left. They had nearly made it the whole way to the elevator when Conan stopped.

"Oh no! I left it!"

"Left what, Conan?"

"My watch! I left it in Mr. Kasei-sama's office."

"Oh Conan," Rachel sighed, "Why did you bring that thing with you? I told you we'd fix it later."

Conan frowned still feeling his pockets,

"Ah," He moaned, "I have to go back and get it."

"You are just doing so well today," Richard chuckled, rolling his eyes.

Both Conan and Rachel sent him deathly glare that turned him white. He laughed sheepishly moving behind the Inspector for protection.

"Come on, Conan. Let's go get your watch."

"It's okay, Rachel. I'll get it myself," Conan smiled heading back down the hallway.

"Alright. Then we'll wait for you," She called after him.

"Don't bother! I won't be long!" Conan waved before rounding the corner.

Rachel looked back to where his just disappeared feeling somewhat desolate. Richard didn't let her brood long.

"Come on, Rach," He ushered, "Let's go."

"What about Conan?"

"Didn't you hear him? Don't worry about the twerp. He can handle himself alone for a few seconds. We'll wait for him in the lobby."

"Eh…"

She wasn't so sure. Why was she feeling this way? He was eight. Conan wasn't a baby.

But as she entered the elevator with her father and Inspector Meguire she couldn't help but feel wrong. Horribly wrong.

---

"He's taking too long." Rachel murmured, pacing back and forth before the two men, "He's been gone for nearly twenty minutes."

"Would you stop it?" Richard groaned, "Conan's probably just goofing off on the elevators. I knew you used to push all the buttons so that we ended up on every floor. 25 floors. That's got to take awhile."

"No, Dad. You did that."

"Oh yeah."

Meguire stood up suddenly, staring at the elevator with a peculiar look on his face.

"That's strange."

"What?" Rachel questioned turning to where he was staring, "What is it?"

"Look. Both floor 13 and 14 are lit up at the same time."

The three of them moved closer, eying the numbers above the elevator's doors with new interest.

"Is it supposed to do that?" Richard inquired.

"Not that I know of. Maybe it will move in a second."

They waited. The luminous numbers remained lit.

"Weird," Richard concluded pulling away. "Stupid lights must be broken."

Meguire followed shortly afterwards. Rachel stayed, staring at the numbers with an anxious heart.

Something's not right.

The was a slight whistling coming from behind the door. Rachel moved back as the numbers changed again.

"Ah. It's moving again."

Richard and the Inspector turned back just as her face paled…

"It's- It's moving kind of fast, don't you think?"

The numbers between floors slowly increased pace. It wasn't long before it was like they were all being lit up at once.

"Get back!" Richard shouted pushing Rachel and Meguire to the floor.

There was a horrifying shrieking of tormented metal as the doors of the elevator were blown clear off. Smoke filled the silence that followed the teeth rattling explosion. Rachel was quicker on her feet then her father. He was just able to snatch her wrist before she dashed to the now opened elevator. It was spitting smoke and electric sparks.

Like a monster.

"Dad! Let go! Conan might have been in there!"

"I'll check it out. You stay with the Inspector."

He gave her little room to protest. Richard headed off towards the desolation careful to avoid dangerous loose cables and sharp metal shards. He soon disappeared in the smoke.

Rachel helped Meguire to his feet- her heart pounding with a heavy fear. He took one look at the disaster and shook his head,

"I'd better call 911." He cast Rachel a sympathetic glance and added, "Make sure your father doesn't stay in there too long. He shouldn't have even gone in."

He left her side. Rachel felt faint. She carefully came upon the destruction herself just as her father came out, body in hand.

"Oh my God."

"He's not breathing." Richard muttered kneeling and supporting the child's head, "There are others in there. Did Meguire call 911?"

"Oh my God. Conan," Rachel gasped, tears running down her cheeks, "Not Conan. Oh God, not Conan."

"Rachel. Go help, Meguire," Richard snapped harshly.

"Conan?"

"Rachel!" Richard roared, his voice steady. "Go or so help me God…"

She retreated as he rose his free hand. But she didn't leave. Rachel just stood, on weak legs, covering her mouth to keep from screaming or was she about to throw up?

Conan lay covered in sweat and soot, not much unlike Richard. His outfit was torn. His bowtie askew. His glasses were gone- abandoned in the agape jaws of the elevator.

Blood streamed down his forehead- graced his left hand like a strange sort of glove. The crimson rivers went right over his closed eyelids.

Closed. Like he was sleeping.

But- But he isn't…

"Come on, Conan," Richard hissed angrily shaking the boy edgily. "Wake up! Breathe!"

The child moved like fluid with his jerky shaking. His head fell back against Richard's chest- opening his mouth just slightly. This head rested in the hook of the man's arm.

The man he used to call a idiot. The man he claimed to hate.

Conan was limp. He wasn't waking.

They could heard the coming sirens.

"Conan! Dammit! Wake up!"

Rachel fell to her knees. She clutched her chest. She couldn't breathe.

"Say something!"

Tears were welling up in Richard's eyes.

"D-damn brat. Say something…"

He hugged Conan's comatose form to his chest, weeping.

"Conan! Don't die! Please! Don't die!"

Why? Why oh God…

Just as the paramedics arrived- voices blearing, sirens sounding…

Rachel passed out.

To Be Continued…

Please R + R!

:insert evil laughter: Yes. I'm cruel. Yes. I know it. And no, I'm not telling you if Conan's dead or not. =P

Woosh. This was a long chapter to write. All in one sitting! I'm dead tired. :insert blah face:

I liked Richard in this chapter. He was fun to write. Almost as fun as Veggie.

:hugs Vegeta plushie:

:plushie attacks her:

:stuffs plushie in Kasei's many drawers:

Much fun. :insert nodding:

I hope you all enjoy this new file in my newest story, Going Down.

And remember, with a keen eye for detail, one true always prevails!