Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Going Down ❯ The Repercussions ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Going Down

Disclaimers: I do not own Case Closed/ Detective Conan. Whoo boy. Never thought I would say that, did ya?

Alright. I am attempting at updating Going Down before the evil teachers of doom drag me off to my Senior year. I haven't been totally dominated yet.

Speaking on behalf of my last chapter- the duck was an intentional typo. It was supposed the be the duck shape holding the cup not the drunk holding the cup. I think that was mentioned in a review somewhere.

And one little error- major to me- is in the first couple of chapters. I can't exactly go back and fix them because then I'd have to change all the stupid dividers. So instead I'll just say it. I miscounted originally when I wrote up the plan for this story. There are SEVEN victims not EIGHT. The extra female was an accident. ::sweatdrop::

Thank you all for your wonderful support while this story attempts to reach it's climax. I appreciate your patience and your wonderful and encouraging reviews.

And without further ado- The 5th file of Going Down!

xXx LAST TIME ON GOING DOWN xXx

"Richard… Why were you in that bar tonight, anyhow?"

"So you heard about Tokiko San…"

There was no response.

What causes someone to risk so much?

"Do you miss him?"

"Who, Meguire?"

Regret can be the hardest teacher.

And Conan was honored.

xXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

Chapter 5:

The Repercussions

xXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

"But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
-Ernest Hemingway

xxx

It wasn't a Saturday or a Sunday. If it had been- Amy would have taken time off for herself. Instead, it was a beautiful Wednesday; that large and painful hump smack dab in the center of the five day week span. Thursday would be the middle if the weekend was counted. But who could count the weekend? It was leisure time.

"Two more days. Two more days," Amy hummed to herself as she took her usual seat in her usual chair.

Her backpack fell soundlessly to the floor at her feet. There was no one to scold her- but she still mentally kicked herself for the action. It could have made a sound. She reminded herself.

Rachel had gone to school today. The first time in a while since Conan's accident. Mister Moore had been bugging her to get back to a normal routine. She had refused doggedly- that was until yesterday, when her mother showed up on their doorstep.

Amy, still having parents happily courted, couldn't understand the ramification of such a seemingly innocent family reunion. To her- such a occurrence would have been a wondrous thing. But for Rachel- it was a sure implication to get out of the house.

She would be here late. So Amy took the full responsibility for surveillance over the latent detective.

It had been little more then a week now. And Conan, still slept soundly, showing no sign of waking.

This didn't bother Amy. She was absolutely sure that Conan's slumber was nothing more then a catnap. She was almost giddy by the idea of being alone with Conan for that whole hour. If he woke up, she was sure to give him the proper 'welcoming back'.

Amy sat in her chair, hands kneaded politely in her lap. The seconds ticked silently by as she waited- and waited. Conan's monitor was still bleeping it's repetitive percussion. His eyes were still sealed and his chest still rose.

Amy twisted her hands further into the space between her knees.

It had only been two minutes but she already knew. It was going to be a very long hour's wait.

xxx

"So you, madam? You say you left the building at eight exactly?"

"W-why yes. Am I suspect?"

Richard eyed the secretary wearily. "No. Miss Balsam, was it?" She nodded. "Since the elevator dropped at approximately nine-thirty and there were no signs that you attempted to return to the building," He sighed dolefully. "There is no proof that you had anything to do with this- whatsoever."

The young woman appeared relieved. After making a few more statements to the officers around her, she headed out the door of the Police Station. There was no sudden flash of reasoning. No lack of consciousness. Richard got nothing.

"Richard. You sure about letting that woman go? We worked so hard to get her here…"

"Yes, Meguire. I'm sure," Richard sighed rubbing his temples. "She's just a woman scared of getting mixed up in this. She left at eight and went home. Just like all good Samaritans are supposed to."

"That was our only runner," Meguire frowned.

"Yes. I know," Richard snapped cutting Meguire short. "Dammit! If only we could get something out of the other two! I'm sure it's one of them."

Nothing was going right. The suspects all refused to give much more then the word "lawyer". And their only runner happened to be a skittish young woman with murder far from her mindset. Richard had only seen the crime scene once, and that was on the night of the attack. Since then the spot had been a roost for press and a hellhole for any detective trying to uproot evidence.

Mr. Jirashii had avoided the police- protected by large and suspicious amounts of money. And Kasei had declared that he was far too distraught to commit to investigations. He had been interviewed once since the incident by Meguire, himself. The most the grievous friend could unearth was a mourning parent who regretted not taking his son by the hand that day.

"We've hit a royal dead end," Meguire shrugged, leaning back into his chair. "This is looking a lot like a-"

Richard's hands slammed down on an uncluttered corner of Meguire's otherwise disordered desk. The shock hurled the man into a brief stupor.

"Richard! What the hell-!"

"Don't you dare say it!" Richard exclaimed pointing an accusing finger.

"Say what-?!"

"You know damn well what. And I won't take it coming out of anyone's mouth anymore," Calm seemed to seep slowly back into his brain. "I just need to see the crime scene. Then I'll prove it. I know it will come to me then."

The man turned- his seething anger slipping away from him again.

Meguire chuckled incoherently to himself. "You're depending on that little miracle to save your butt." His voice sudden rose as he shifted in his chair. "I don't know what more ridiculous about you, Richard! Your accusations or your sleeping act. Both are as unpredictable as the- as the…"

Meguire's face contorted into a grim sort of smirk. "I can't think of the word but you should know that you're damn unpredictable."

Richard had nothing to say to that.

Leaning further back in his chair, Meguire continued, "So is it Eva? Is that what's got you so worked up?"

"No!" Richard spat irritably, "I'm just thrilled that ass of a woman is back. Breathing down my collar about my detective work and my parenting skills. Rachel chose me! Why should I listen to that evil little-"

Richard wrung a post note's neck in his vented frustration. Meguire only watched- partial amusement keeping him stationary.

"Ah! So it is Eva."

"Damn right it's Eva!" Richard practically shouting in his uncontainable aggravation. He began to pace to rid of the extra adrenaline rushing through his stressed and wearisome body. "Damn woman thinks that she can just pop back and save Rachel from my evil- It's my freakin' job, woman! It's not my fault that Conan- that Conan… "

His voice got caught up on the way to his lips. The man finally had age creep up on him- his legs feeling the utmost need to buckle beneath him.

Richard fell back into one of the visitor chairs, running his hands through his dark unkempt hair.

"You alright, Richard?"

"Yeah," Richard replied softly. "Just… been a long night, that's all."

Night of worrying. Night of arguing. Night of praying.

The silence sustained until Meguire brought up enough gull to break it.

"We do have a loop hole."

Richard rose his head off his knees.

"It's not much. But we do have a three hour lapse of time to investigate. Kasei can't hold us back from that. We did do a bit a snooping before- but… this will be investigating. You can see all you want to, Moore."

"Ah," Richard smiled. "I do love loop holes."

xxx

The bell rang ceremoniously in the hallow school hallways. It wasn't long before students stumbled out- blinking like owls to the foreign light of afternoon.

Rachel joined the crowd- hoping to lose her new appendage that just refused to detach from her being. Serena was certainly relentless in her pursuit.

"Are you sure you're alright, Rachel-chan?" Serena continued her assault. "You look a bit pale… Maybe you should have your mom pick you up? I'm sure she would."

And have her badger the hell out me too? Rachel thought darkly. No thanks.

They only had about an hour left before school reached an end. It had been the longest day in the history of days. Each second had been counted. Each minute recorded. At every hour, Rachel cheered. But it still took far too long.

All Rachel could think about was the child sleeping alone in that cruel uncaring place. That hospital. She would definitely be sprinting to Conan's side as soon as the last bell sounded.

She figured the bus would be an easier method of transportation, but then that would mean waiting. Rachel could not wait.

What if Conan woke up and no one had been there? What if something wrong happened to Conan and Amy didn't notice? Or couldn't do anything? What if the little girl panicked and didn't call for help? What if Amy wasn't watching him at all? What if- What if Conan really d-

"Nee, Rachel…" Serena muttered.

Rachel's attention returned. Her patience was still thin but her friend's tone had been sincere. Rachel decided to give Serena what she so richly desired.

"I'm fine, Serena." apologized the grief-stricken teenager.

"It's not that- It's just… It's just that…" Serena faltered uncertainly.

The silence hung, deepening Rachel's building anxiety. Each moment that passed was another second wasted pointlessly.

He could be awake!

"Just what?" Rachel asked, applying pressure.

"Just- Have you… I mean," The girl inhaled. "When was the last time Jimmy-kun called you?"

Rachel blinked. "Jimmy?"

xxx

It was dark. So dark that even his nose's outline could not be discerned from that of a blackened wall.

The cords dangled about the man like snakes- coiling innocently about unprotected areas. Richard was proud to still have maintained his thin body through all the booze he inhaled a week. But he lacked the much needed upper body strength required for this task. This was not an easy thing for the detective to accomplish.

Groping the walls for footholds, the man continued his accent. His hands grew sweaty rather fast. The powder he had caked on for extra grip was starting to wear.

And then he was there.

By inspection, the cord was reported to have snapped. The remains of the elevator spoke such findings as well. There was no reason to believe that someone could have scaled these walls and cut the cord. Such a feat would have been only possible with large pliers of some kind. And still- the man might be taken out with the fallen elevator. It wasn't a safe or even sane task to attempt.

But Richard's own suspicions were confirmed from this height. He smirked proudly at the find.

"Moore! You found it?"

"Coming down, Inspector!" called Richard back.

Richard released his grip and let the cord about his chest catch gravity. After a painful pull of both gravity and recoil, the cord tautened. Richard heard the grunts of the Inspector and his boys yanking him back through the shaft.

Once pulled safely through, Richard discarded the cord. The smile on his face was taunting his superior.

"What is it, Moore? Did you find something?"

"Yes," Richard's grin widened.

The other man in the room looked mildly interested. He, still a suspect, was merely a prisoner to the proceedings. He was held in higher regard then Mr. Jirashii though. That man had failed to make an appearance at all. A week's time was really too long to hold investigations.

"What did you uncover?" Kasei asked earnestly.

"The chute," Richard pointed above him. "has donned some scorch marks. Recent, I might add."

"Recent?" Kasei repeated. "You mean to say someone attempted to burn the cord away? That's impossible. We make our elevators to withstand such things."

"No," Richard murmured, "Not burn. I think someone used a bomb."

"Then how did the man get away?" Kasei grumbled unimpressed, "He would have been swallowed in the blast. Did you find some body plastered to the wall?"

"A bomb doesn't have to blow when set. Surely you knew that, Mr. Kasei." The detective continued, "A time bomb would do just fine."

"That's great. A time bomb." Kasei snorted, "This is sounding more like terrorism every second."

"You can activate bombs in different ways, Mr. Kasei." glared Richard. "They don't have rely on luck."

The large man was running out of haughty remarks. His face was turned pink with denial. When a face was scrunched up for so long, it could only be a matter of time before an idea came to mind. "Then where's the shrapnel from the blast? Why would someone blow the cord? Why not just the whole elevator? Why leave the chance of survivors."

Richard cringed.

"He has a point, Moore. It seems you're jumping to conclusions again," The Inspector sighed. "Those scorch marks could've easily occurred from when the cord snapped. Electricity does coarse through those things."

"I- I uh…"

"I think that's enough invesigation for today then boys." Kasei smiled.

"What?!" Richard cried. "We haven't even begun! What about the items left inside the elevator?"

"Those belong to the memorial." When Richard seemed still puzzled, the man continued. "I am creating a memorial to those whole died in the accident. The whole thing will be shut off in glass and marble. I'm even leaving something for your little Conan."

"His frames…" The inspector nodded.

"No!" Richard scowled.

He grabbed Mr. Kasei sharply by the collar and jerked him forward. "You are not putting Conan on display, you sick bastard!"

"Richard! Let go of him!" Meguire demanded.

Richard complied, hatred still set in stone. Kasei adjusted his collar undauntedly. "Really, Mr. Moore. Do control yourself. Not everyone is out to get you."

Richard snorted doubtfully.

"I don't mean to dishonor Conan's memory by putting up a memorial. I just mean to preserve it." Kasei explained sincerely. "I lost a son too, remember?"

Meguire blinked. "Oh but Conan's not-"

"You seem to be coping well." Richard grunted irritably.

"I don't believe in fantasies, Mr. Moore." Kasei retorted. "What's done is done. Regret shouldn't overtake you. It will only put you in your grave faster."

He let out a bit of snort before continuing. "You dishonor my son by claiming that he was murdered. You should come to terms with what's passed. It will help you cope."

The man attempted to kindly touch Richard's shoulder in condolence. But Richard pulled away, a mad smirk on his lips. "Why are you so quick to claim it was an accident? It makes you appear guilty, Mr. Kasei."

"Richa-!"

"It's alright, Meguire." Kasei sighed, waving the inspector off. "I understand your grief. But know this, if you continue to dishonor my name any longer- I will expose you, Richard, for the fake you really are."

Kasei turned for the door. "You can find the exit by yourselves, I hope? Be sure to use the stairs."

The door slammed and so did Richard's heart.

xxx

Boredom was a terribly hard thing to fight off. Nothing changed in this room- nothing at all. Amy was starting to regret her decision about staying here. She gave up an afternoon in the park with Mitch and George for this sort of babysitting. And she certainly wasn't going to get paid.

"Come on, Conan." Amy grumbled. "You can't possibly still want to sleep."

But he slept on.

Amy drew closer to the comatose body, inspecting his bandages and IV cord. Most of the wounds he had that week ago had healed, save for a few. The one on his head was a fresh bandage. It would probably be the last one he'd need for that injury. And the other was wrapped securely about his left hand. It was not a really old but not a really new bandage.

Feeling rather useless and in need of some activity, Amy decided to take it upon herself to play doctor.

"Band-aids," Amy frowned, searching the drawers of the cabinets around her. "They have to have band-aids somewhere."

Amy came up with only some brightly colored pokemon finger band-aids. Not feeling the least bit discouraged, Amy pulled out a fistful.

"If his cut is big I just have to use more," Amy thought aloud.

Amy laid the band-aids on the bed neatly. She, then, turned her attention back to the wrap currently on Conan's hand. Carefully, she undid the safety pin and then slowly unraveled the bandages. His hand was unusually warm. It lay limply in her capable hands.

"Wow. Those doctors sure did use a lot of stuff on this, huh?" Amy muttered eying the traces of blood on the second layer.

She had almost completely undid the bindings when a sharp scream came from the doorway. Amy retreated from her patient's side.

"Amy-chan! What are you doing?" Rachel cried rushing into the room.

She smelled strongly of the outside. Amy felt another pang of regret as Rachel pushed the girl aside.

"I'm terribly sorry, Rachel-oneesan," Amy bowed her head. "I was just trying to help."

The girl didn't seem to hear her- to busy inspecting the damage that had been done. Her adrenaline quickly faded at Amy's apologetic tone though. Rachel forced a sort of wiry smile without looking to her.

"It's alright, Amy. You're not in trouble."

That didn't exactly make Amy all cheer. She shuffled back against the old armchair to avoid anymore confrontation with the teenager. Amy pledged to keep quiet.

"But," Rachel continued, her voice going soft. "That's odd."

Amy couldn't help herself. "What's odd?"

Rachel cast the girl a peculiar glance. As if wondering if the child was old enough to hear this sort of thing. Amy must have passed cause Rachel continued. "How did Conan injure his hand?"

"He hurt it in the elevator." replied Amy incuriously.

"No," Rachel frowned, shaking her head. "Sprained it, maybe? Broken it, alright. But… This is a like,- like a glass cut or something."

Amy didn't respond- letting the teenage do her deductions.

"My God." Rachel muttered, pulling the last layer away. "Could it be-?"

xxx

"Damn," Richard growled, outside in the shadow of Kasei tower. "I know how you feel about that man but it's obvious. Did you hear that comment he made about the stairs?! He's our murderer! I just know it!"

"Richard- Uh," Meguire attempted to interrupt.

"We'll just have to come back tomorrow. Come back and really wham him," Richard thrust a fist into his free hand. "There's gotta be something in his records that can give us a search warrant. Gambling, drinking… something."

"Richard, stop." Meguire grumbled sternly.

The inspector gripped Richard's shoulder harshly. Richard's heart skipped a beat.

"What?" replied the confident detective.

"Kasei is right. This isn't," Meguire frowned. "It's not going anywhere, Richard. We have no more proof. We are out of time."

"But- come on, Inspector!" Richard pleaded. "Give me one more week! A day, even! Please! You have to!"

"I can't." Meguire slumped up against the wall. "My superiors want it finished. Kasei wants the investigations to stop. It can't continue."

"But we haven't even got a proper statement from Mr. Jirashii."

"It's out of my hands."

"One more day, Inspector!"

"It's out of my hands, Richard!"

Richard swallowed hard. The silence was infectious.

"That means- I failed."

"No. Don't think of it that way." Meguire spat. "I'll get you a place back on the force. Set in a good word. I won't let you lose everything, Moore."

"I can't do that," groaned the detective.

"It gives you a job, Richard. That way you can still pay for Conan's medical bills… Any word from his parents?"

"None," Richard groaned. "They've dropped off the face of the earth again. The doctors are having a hell of a time working on Conan without any records."

"I see."

"I still can't give up, Meguire. I'd never be able to look Conan in the eye again." Richard snarled bitterly. "The kid looks up to me like a role model. What impression am I leaving if I give up so soon?"

"I don't know."

The silence was hallowing. Richard decided to rest upon the garden wall. Meguire made no means to stop him. Wind washed over them, chilling their tiring bones. Richard closed his eyes dolefully.

"The case is closed, huh?"

Richard reopened his eyes. Some framed eyes stared back at him.

"Yes." He answered.

"You give up way too easy, old-timer."

"Right. But I don't have any choice. It's a grown up thing. You wouldn't understand."

The eyes behind the frames seemed skeptical. "I think you're just getting old."

"Brat. You never change." Richard chuckled.

"Richard? Who are you talking to?"

Meguire's voice snapped Richard back. He blinked once. And then again. He was left staring blankly at thin air. "Uh. I'm not sure…"

He gave his head a little shake and smiled. "Just tired, I guess."

A dull ringing sounded. Both men searched their pockets vigorously. Richard was victorious, flipping open the crying cell phone.

"Moore speaking."

His eyes suddenly lit up. "No, that's terrific, Rachel. We'll be over as soon as we can."

"What is it?" Meguire inquired as Richard slammed the cell phone shut.

"We have a witness." Richard positively beamed. "And he's ready to talk."

To Be Continued…

Please R & R!

Alright then. I promise Eva makes her appearance in the next chapter. There was no need to really go into her point of view this chapter. She really hasn't done anything of major importance yet.

Gah. Not the best written chapter but I hope you can all forgive me. Vindicated gets updated next. So keep an eye out for that.

See! I told you all to trust me! But the case isn't wrapped up yet! Stay tuned for the next file of Going Down.

With a keen eye for detail, one truth prevails.

Please review. It is the purest form of inspiration. ::smiles::