Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Another step ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 9
Another Step

Birds flapping about can be heard from outside, waking those still in sleep. She rolled to her side as her eyes cracked open to be met by that of the sun hanging in the sky. Ran sat up to see she was in Conan's room and still in her clothes from the previous day. She looked to her side to see Conan wasn't present.

"I wonder where Conan went to?" Ran thought to herself as she sat up from the bed.

She made her way to the door, walking down the hall. Conan stood in the main room with his hands crossed behind his back, staring out the window.

"I hope I didn't keep you up all night." Ran said.

"I slept just fine, just thinking a little." Conan said as his hands dropped to his side.

Ran looked over at the clock to see she only had twenty five minutes to get ready for school.

"Well I better get ready, I'll see you after school Conan." Ran said as she headed for her room.

He walked over as he tossed his bag over his shoulders while heading out. Conan never usually went to school this early, but he had a lot on his mind. The events from last night still strong in his mind. As Conan walked he tried to focus his mind elsewhere but found it difficult to do so.

"I wonder what I should tell the others if they ask, should I tell Haibara..... should I tell Dr. Agasa?"

All this circulated through his mind as he continued to walk. As he approached the school Ayumi walked up next to him with a bright smile on her face. Conan couldn't help but smile as well.

"So have you given it some thought?" Ayumi asked.

"What was I supposed to be thinking about?" Conan asked.

"Helping me prepare for the test of course, are you up for it after school today?"

"Sorry Yoshida but I have a....poster I'm working on." Conan quickly came up with.

"Oh, ok."

The two of them headed to class together. They both took a seat as they got their supplies out for class. Conan dozed off as Ms. Kobayashi walked over. She placed the morning paper onto his desk as he looked down at it, then back to her.

"Does this have something to do with today's lesson?" Conan asked.

"Just give it a look over, there's a couple new unsolved crimes in there." Sumiko said.

Conan read over a couple of the articles. Ayumi looked over his shoulders doing the same.

"Any ideas on which case you guys might want to take a jab at?" Sumiko asked.

"I say we take a look at the one dealing with the stolen statue." Ayumi said.

"What about you Conan?"

Conan looked them over once more.

"I'm not sure, there's a couple in here which could pose for an interesting one." Conan finally said adding in his input.

The bell for class rang as Ayumi went back to her seat.

"We'll discuss this later." Sumiko said

She made her way to the front of the class as she gave everyone instructions on the days lessons as Conan slid the morning paper into his bag.

"Looks like I need to pay a small visit to the computer lab before I leave school today." Conan thought to himself.

Nearly thirty minutes of class went by. Everyone sat their as Mrs. V rambled on. A knock can be heard at the door as Mrs. V walked over to answer it.

"She must have started locking the door after I was late." Tim thought to himself.

She opened the door as Sonoko walked in handing her a hall pass. As Sonoko walked past she glimpsed over at Tim
. He noticed. Mrs. V made her way to the front of the class as she pulled out a stack of papers.

"I hope you all studied well, this is a five page test to see what you've learned." She said as she passed out the papers.

"How long do we have to complete the test?" Airi asked.

"You have the luxury of the entire class period." Mrs. V replied.

They started in the next minute or so. Tim was the first one done, finishing the test within the first twenty minutes. He placed his test in the basket as he took a seat. He sat their as he drew out a blue print of a gadget he had in mind to help pass the time. By the time he had finished class was nearly over.

"Easy day so far, let's just hope we don't have slackers on the mile today. I'd hate to have to run it twice." Tim thought to himself.

The bell rung shortly after as he rounded up his things and headed to gym. To his pleasure they didn't have to run the mile twice. His last class went by smooth as well. He stood near his locker as he felt a tap at his shoulder. Tim turned around to see Zee.

"Zee, how may I help you?" Tim asked a little surprised to see him.

"Look, I thought I'd just stop by and apologize."

"I appreciate that, haven't seen you in gym much lately." Tim said.

"Guess you giving me a concussion will be news to you then." Zee said with a laugh.

"Ouch, didn't mean to hit you so hard."

"All is forgiven, see you around then." Zee said as he walked off..

Tim nodded then made his way out the front doors heading for the side walk.

"So besides finding Deadshot, I now have the Black Organization on my list."

Tim walked up the street as the apartment building came into view.

"I'm kind of on a leash when it comes to this Black Organization, I really don't know how they like to operate."

Tim pushed the front door open as he waved over to the desk clerk while making his way to the elevator. On his way up he closed his eyes, resting his mind from all the thoughts that flooded his head.

"The first thing I'm going to do is get some decent rest.


He exited the elevator while gripping his books. When he turned the corner he was surprised to see Conan leaned up against the door to his room. Tim adjusted all of his books into his right hand as he walked over. Conan looked up at him when Tim came to a stop. They gazed into each others eyes once more.

"You said I didn't know anything about you, well here I am, I would like to get to know Tim Drake.......if that's ok with you." Conan said.

A moment of silence runs by. A smile finds it's way across Tim's face as he pulls out his key opening the door.

"You made the right choice detective." Tim said as he held the door open.

Conan walked in as Tim followed closing the door behind them.

“I didn’t tell anyone your secret.”

"Thanks, So...what should I address you by?" Tim asked.

"Conan will do, don't want anyone getting suspicious." Conan replied.

"Good call." Tim said.

Tim walked over as he tossed his jacket onto his bed along with his tie. He then directed his attention back over to Conan.

"A poison was what reverted you back into a toddler right?"

"Thats right."

"What exactly is this poison?" Tim asked.

"It's known as the APTX 4869, tracing it's components after being absorbed by the body is next to none." Conan informed.

"Interesting, seems like something I could have a little fun studying." Tim said.

Conan's phone began to ring as he looked down to see an incoming call from Ai. He ignored this as he slid the phone back into his pocket.

"Who was that?" Tim asked while reaching in the mini fridge tossing Conan a soda.

"It was just Haibara, probably wondering why I left so quick after school."

"Ai Haibara, the girl who lives with Hiroshi Agasa?"

"Yea that's the one, why do you ask?"

"When I tried to find files on you I also looked into Mr. Agasa's, saw that Ai lives with him." Tim said.

"Let me guess, you tried to find files on her and ended up in the same spot as when you tried to run a background check on me." Conan said.

"Did she happen to take the APTX 4869 drug as well, or am I just doing a little to much thinking?"

Conan laughed at this.

"She's actually one of the people who created it, one thing lead to another and, well....you know." Conan said popping the soda open.

Tim walked over as he opened the curtain near the balcony, allowing the brightness of the sun to light the room. Conan took a small sip as he spoke out.

"I'm not sure if you'll answer this but." Conan began.

"Go for it." Tim said as he leaned up against the wall.

"How many women have you been with?" Conan asked.

Tim raised a brow.

"I'm not quite sure what you're asking."

"You know, all that money, and your good looks must attract the women." Conan said.

"Thanks for the complement, but if you're asking if I've slept with a woman then the answer is no. Haven't been in many serious relationships either."

He looked over, surprised by his answer. Not exactly what he expected to hear. Conan then took a seat at the end of the bed while sliding his bag from his shoulders. He reached in as he pulled out the morning paper along with an article he had printed out. He walked over as he handed it to Tim.

"What's all this?" Tim asked.

"Something I want you to take a look at, since you seem to be good with computers you might be able to help me on this case."

Tim read through the article and paper.

“Don’t think I’ve dealt with a case like this before." Tim said.

“Can’t say I have either." Conan said.

“So the killer abducts young couples, bounding their wrists with rope.”

“The women were raped.” Conan stated.

“How do you know?” Tim asked.

“A little inside knowledge, found out before I headed over.”

“You think he used the men as spectators?” Tim questioned.

“I was thinking the same thing, since their wrists show evidence of rope burns.”

“We don’t have much to go off of, but I’ll look a little more into it tonight.” Tim stated.

“If I find any more useful information I’ll be sure to let you know.” Conan said.

Tim placed the sheets of paper onto the desk as Conan began to look from side to side. Tim took notice of this.

"What's wrong?" Tim asked.

"I was just wondering where you keep your suit."

"It's not currently in here, it's at my base...if you want to call it that." Tim answered.

"Now then Tim, since we are officially working together I think it would be best for me to check out this base of yours out." Conan said.

"Sure thing, let me just get into something else." Tim said.

Conan nodded. Tim grabbed a pair of clothes as he headed to the bathroom. He was out in less than a minute as he tossed on his shades.

"You ready?" Tim asked.

"Yes." Conan said as he jumped down from the bed.

They made their way down the hall, waiting for the elevator to arrive.

"So you want to know who I am huh......that story begins with the man himself." Tim said looking down at him.

"You mean Batman."

"I'll give you a quick scoop on how it all started, up until this point." Tim said as the elevator arrived.

The two of them stepped in as the door closed behind them. They left the apartment complex as they made their way toward the woods in the near the apartment. Tim talked as Conan listened. It was only about a fifteen minute walk. They came to a stop as Tim pulled out a device clicking the button. The ground a few feet away began to slide open as Conan took a step back. Tim signaled for him to jump in. Conan was a little hesitant at first, but jumped in none the less. Tim jumped down after him. The ground above closed shut once more.

“It’s pitch dark down here, how do you get anything done?” Conan asked.

In that second lights switched on, laid out along the ground which lead to the shed a few yards away. Tim walked over with Conan at his side. They came to a stop as Tim looked into a eye hole implanted into the door. It scanned his eyes confirming it was him. The door slid open as the two stepped in.

So this is it.” Conan thought to himself.

To the right was the computer set up on a desk with all the accessories. To the far wall laid a set of weights, to the left was where a locker and a whole bunch of cabinets stood.

“Well, this is it.” Tim said.

“I’m curious, how long did it take you to set this all up?” Conan asked.

“Been working on it the past few days, spent most of my nights working on the security.” Tim said.

Conan walked over as he came to a stop infront of the large locker.

“What’s in here?” Conan asked.

“Why don’t you give it a look.” Tim said as he took a seat infront of the computer.

Conan reached up opening the locker. The door swung open as three sets of Red Robin suit’s hung there along with three utility belts. He reached forward as he grabbed one of the utility belts, looking it over in his hand.

“This thing’s a lot heavier than I thought.”

Conan placed the belt back into place while closing the locker. He then made his way over as he opened a few of the cabinets as he laid his eyes on many types of gadgets.

“Woh, Tim’s really stacked on artillery.” Conan thought to himself.

A beeping sound went off as Conan directed his attention over to the computer.

“What’s wrong, your computer have a virus or something?” Conan asked as he walked over.

He looked up toward the screen to see two pictures of himself.

“Nothing to worry about, just the computer confirming you and Kudo are one in the same.” Tim said with a grin.

Conan ignored his remark the best he could.

“Hey Tim you think you could show me how to use these?”

Tim turned in his seat to see Conan holding a couple bird discs in his hand.

“Sure thing, let me just finish up these security updates..... can you go over and stand infront of that machine real quick?”

“What for?” Conan asked.

“Got to scan your eyes to incorporate you into the system, make sure you take off your glasses.”

Conan stuck his glasses into his jacket as he made his way over. He stood infront of the machine as it scanned his eyes in three different directions. Conan looked over as Tim gave him a thumbs up. He placed his glasses back on as Tim sat up from the chair walking over.

“We’ll take this up into the woods, there’s plenty of targets out there.” Tim said.

Once they made it back to the top Tim walked them deeper into the forest as they came upon an apple tree.

“Here’s a nice spot for a little practice.”

“So what’s the object, to knock down some apples?” Conan asked.

“You bet, so let’s see what you got, then we’ll go from there.”

“Alright, here goes nothing.”

Conan held the disk right below his chest, locking onto the apple he wanted. He waited a few seconds as he took a step forward, launching it away. It went flying into the other tree to the right a few yards away. Tim began to snicker as Conan looked over at him while crossing his arms.

“Hey it’s my first time remember.” Conan said.

“Aight, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.” Tim said.

Conan gave off a small huff as he took aim once more. He stepped forward as he threw once more. He rolled his eyes as it went spinning away from the target.

“Phew, you missed wildly to the left this time.” Tim informed.

“You sure are one for words, let’s see what you’ve got Tim.” Conan said.

Tim grabbed one of the disks as he walked an additional five yards back. He looked toward the apple tree as he darted the disk forward, slicing through the air. Three apples fell from the tree. Tim raced over as he caught all three in mid air before they could hit the ground. Conan’s eyes widened as Tim walked over handing him the three apples.

“Wow, just...... and there’s not even a single scratch on any of them.” Conan thought to himself as he looked up at Tim.

“How did you?” Conan began.

“It’s all about placement, you ever play sports Conan?” Tim asked.

“Yes.”

“Then it shouldn’t be so hard to interpret your ball skills into targeting, just think of it in that sense.”

“Can you show me once more?” Conan asked.

Tim reached down grabbing another bird disc as he looked to the tree. Conan watched the whole motion, from his shoulders, to the snap of his wrist on the release.

“He’s so quick with it, but at the same time with so much power.”

Conan tried again
, several times over. Tim watched on, giving him pointers from time to time. Hours swung by without either of them really realizing it. As the sun began to set they headed back to the shed as Tim took a seat at the computer. Conan rubbed his sore hands together, trying to get rid of some of the burning.

“You know, you made some real progress today.” Tim commented working on the computer.

“Thanks.” Conan said as he leaned up against the wall.

Conan stared toward the ceiling, his hands falling to his pocket. He stood in that pose for over a minute.

“You ok Conan?” Tim asked looking over toward him.

Conan looked back down as he faced Tim.

“So you never had any intentions on going out with Ran?”

“I was looking to make a few friends at school, but nothing further.” Tim replied as he looked back to the computer.

“I think you should try talking to her again, she’s really nice if you get to know her.” Conan said stepping from the wall.

“I think I’ve tried enough, best left alone at this point.”

Conan made his way over as he stood to the side of the chair.

“Come on Tim, I’ll even go with you.”

Tim laughed at this.

“She already accused me of using her father to get close to her, how is you coming with me any different.”

“Well, he’s got a point.”

The room fell silent for the next few seconds as Conan’s phone began to ring. He looked down to see an incoming call from Ran.

“Hey Tim what time is it?” Conan asked.

“Nine eighteen.”

“Damn.”

“What’s wrong?” Tim asked.

“I’m going to be late getting home, I’d leave you my number but you probably already have it.” Conan said.

Tim stood to his feet as he reached over across the desk. He tossed Conan a small device.

“What is this?” Conan asked.

“That’s the spare authorization remote, make sure you keep it in a safe place.”

Conan nodded as he took off. As he made his way home he looked down to see he had several missed calls from Ran and his friends.

“And that’s what I get for turning my phone off
, hopefully Ran goes easy on me.”

It took him about twenty minutes to make it back. He took a slight gulp as he pushed the front door open. Ran was standing a few feet away
.

“Hahah ha, sorry I’m late.” Conan said as the door closed behind him.

Ran walked over as she knelt down giving him a big hug.

“Now this I didn’t see coming.”

“Where were you Conan, I’ve been trying to reach you all day.”

“You’re not angry?” Conan asked trying to buy time to come up with something.

“I was to worried to be angry, where were you?”

“I was with Heiji.” Conan lied.

“Didn’t he have school today?” Ran asked.

“He’s actually off for a few days, he was in the neighborhood and asked if I wanted to hang, so yea.” Conan said.

“Just let me know, or have Heiji call me next time.” Ran said as she hugged him once more.

“I’ll be sure to.” Conan said hugging her back.

Ran then stood to her feet as she headed for her room.

“I’ll see you in the morning, try and get some sleep ok.”

“Ok.” Conan said.

Once she closed the door to her room Conan sighed out in relief. He then made his way to his room as he got into his night clothes. He  switched out the lights then rolled under the warmth of the blanket. Conan pushed his head up, meeting the side of the pillow.

“Yesterday I wondered who he was, today he taught me skills I didn’t even know I had, and you know.......I think I’m starting to like Tim.”

With that his eyes closed as he drifted off to sleep.

To Be Continued


Converting /tmp/phpm1yZQp to /dev/stdout