Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Card Of Deception ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 31
Card of Deception

Pressure flourished throughout the body. The burning sensation spiked as he pushed the bar up, resting it into place. Next were the legs, making a few rounds through the track to keep the heart at work. Once satisfied he walked it out, allowing for the body to fall back into rhythm. The water dropped from the pipe, splashing to the soreness of his back, slightly shifting as it did. He dried quickly while tossing the towel to his neck once finished.

He zipped up, avoiding the coolness of the night after exiting from the side door. He resulted to walk, taking a deep breath of the city air to find his eyes close for a brief second. Then it hit, strapping to the side of his ankle. He felt himself flip upside down, taking to the sky above. There was only one thing he could think to do, scream. This lasted for all but a few seconds, coming face to face with the man he'd heard of just a few nights ago.

"You're....you're Red Robin." He shuddered with fear.

"Hello Rick, I hope you enjoyed your little work out."

"How'd you.. know my....my name?" Rick asked in between gulps.

"Better drop the whimpering, and make it quick," Red Robin scold. "We need to talk, business."

"What do you want with me?"

"I know you're one with the Black Yangs, but what I want to know is what you were doing at that bowling center."

"And why should I tell you?"

"So now you wanna be a tough guy," Red Robin said pulling him in closer. "That's warning one, three strikes you're out."

"Why are questioning me anyway," Rick asked. "The Outworlders are the ones who want you dead!"

"Wrong, they're allies of mine," Red Robin stated. "Brutho loves to keep sheer talent close to the chest."

"You're bluffing," Rick remarked. "No way would Brutho sell out to someone like you."

Red Robin smiled, snapping his finger in the process.

"You shouldn't make assumptions, especially when you have no idea what you speak," An imposing voice spoke from the shadows. "Now tell Red Robin what we want to hear."

"I can't believe it," Rick said in disbelief. "You really are working together."

"That'll be enough stalling," Brutho grunted. "Now talk, we don't have all night."

"Why are you asking me," Rick questioned. "Someone from your group ordered the hit."

"Someone who shouldn't have," Brutho stated. "And I want to find out who."

"We're betting this guy's under cover," Red Robin said. "Playing both sides of the game if you know what mean."

"Let me guess, a Black Yang."

"Have any idea who we should be looking for?" Red Robin asked.

"Not a clue," Rick replied. "This is my first time hearing anything on this matter."

"Then answer us this," Brutho said still to the shadows. "Why were you at the bowling alley?"

"Go to hell."

He felt himself drop toward the streets, screaming to the top of his lungs the whole way down. He came to a stop within a few inches of the ground, flying back up into the night. Red Robin grabbed him to the shirt, glaring into his eyes.

"That's strike two, trust me when I say you don't want to hit a three."

"You almost killed me you freak!"

"Next time I wont reel you back up," Red Robin snapped. "Now talk, what were you doing up at the bowling alley?"

"I....I was called to meet up there," Rick said. "Some guy called, never heard of him."

"Name, give me a name." Red Robin demanded tightening his grip to his shirt.

"Um..he....he goes by Nightel," Rick blurted. "He works at an antique shop, the one located right by the North/East cemetery."

"Have you met with Nightel before?"

"Was supposed to," Rick admitted. "Saw him talking with some guy in a suit of black, long blond hair, a pretty man if you will."

"Gin." Red Robin muttered.

"Things got a little heated between the two, so I decided to leave."

"So when did you reschedule?"

"He said to meet him up at the bowling center this morning, said the boss man had something for me," Rick replied. "When I got there they were already dead, I swear."

"So then you called the police?"

"That's right, I had no choice," Rick stated. "My finger prints were already to the front doors, didn't want to risk the police tracking me down as a suspect."

"This boss man you mentioned, does he have a name?" Red Robin asked.

"Most outsiders know him as the Oni of Tigers, but those in the circle know different," Rick said. "The White Tiger is what he's really called, no one really ever sees the guy though."

He stood to his feet, staring into the distance.

"So you'll let me live?" Rick asked.

"Of course." Red Robin replied letting him fall back to the streets.

He landed into a pile of garbage, rolling to his side as the grappler released from his ankle. He turned his head back to the shadows, a smile coming to his face.

"Well played Kudo, our little trick of deception worked after all." Red Robin complimented.

Conan stepped from the darkness, lowering the bowtie from his lips. He tied it back to his shirt, looking over to Tim who stared to the night sky.

"RR....are you ok?" Conan asked with concern.

He turned to him, a blank look in his eyes.

"You weren't really going to drop him to the street, were you?"

"What's wrong, did I scare you?" Red Robin asked.

Conan didn't reply. He turned back to the city, thinking about all they'd just learned.

"Well if Batman can't make it, then why not one of your other allies," Conan suggested. "Don't you know Superman, you could call him in."

"I don't think this situation quite calls for such extreme measures."

"You may be right in that regard," Conan said. "I guess half of me just wants to meet the guy, I've seen some of the incredible things he's done on TV."

It became quiet, the sound of the traffic below the only thing to be heard.

"He looks so tense, so focused, then again.....if people were dieing because of me I'd probably be the same way."

Conan took a few steps forward, coming to a stop at his side. They both stood, just gazing to the stars above.

"So what happens next?" Conan asked.

"We pay this Nightel guy a visit," Red Robin replied. "He may indeed be our bridge guy to hook in some prey."

"Should I even know what that means?" Conan asked.

"You will," Red Robin assured looking to him. "I'm going to head back to the base to check up on the scan, do you want a lift down?"

"No thanks, I think I can manage."

"Suit yourself," Red Robin said pulling the grappler from his side. "Don't forget to give Heiji a rundown of what we've gained from our little interrogation."

"Of course." Conan said with a nod.

He watched as he swung off, taking a step to the ledge. He wasn't sure what to feel about the nights events. On one hand they had gathered information of gold, but something bothered him from within.

"I'll admit, he scared me tonight.....but in all the wrong ways."

He slid his hands to his pocket, thinking of what he could possibly do.

"Maybe it's just a little stress," Conan thought bringing a hand to his chin. "And I think I know just what to do to cheer him up."

He walked the streets that next morning, delighted by the sun shining high and bright. His hands hanged from the sides of his pocket as he approached, opening the first door. The sound of music echoed through the walls as he made his way up, giving the door a knock. It slid open a few seconds later, Ran standing with a cloth to her hand.

"Good morning," Heiji said with the tip of his hat. "Would Conan happen to be around by any chance."

"You just missed him, he took off with his friends about ten minutes ago," Ran informed widening the door. "You're welcome to come in and wait, Conan said he wouldn't be to long."

"I don't see why not," Heiji accepted stepping in. "I have no where to be."

"Great, I could use a little company." Ran said closing the door behind him.

"Where's your father, isn't he around?" Heiji asked.

"He'll be back this afternoon some time," Ran replied. "In the mean time would you like some tea, I was just about to whip some up."

"Sure, that would be nice."

"Good," Ran said glad to hear. "Have a seat at the table, I'll have it ready in the next few."

It was another one of those days, beginning things off with a little TV. He wasn't exactly watching it, but kept the tempo at a relaxing rate. A knock came to the door, turning his attention away from where he stared. He sat up from the chair, having a good idea who'd come to see him.

"Surprised to see you hear this early," Tim said opening the door to see Conan holding a soccer ball in place. "Did you happen to get in touch with Heiji this morning?"

"Not yet, but I will."

"So what are you doing here," Tim asked. "Did you just want to hang out or something?"

"Yea, I was kinda thinking something else."

"Ok...and what might that be?"

"My friends were wondering if they could come up," Conan said with a laugh. "You know, just to check out your room and stuff."

"Sure....," Tim replied rubbing the back of his head. "I don't see why not, bring them right on up."

"I knew he'd say yes." Mitsuhiko said jumping from the side.

"Hi Tim." Ayumi waved as they all walked in past him.

"Ok, guess they're already here." Tim said watching as they all made their way in.

Ai was the last to step in, Tim closing the door behind her.

"So what made you guys want to come and visit?" Tim asked.

"It was actually Conan's idea," Mitsuhiko said looking over his shoulder. "We were about to go to the park and play, but he suggested we come here instead."

"This was your idea?" Tim muttered looking down to Conan who had a smile to his face.

"I thought you could use the company."

"You could have called first." Tim said with the cross of his arms.

Genta walked back over to the two, swinging the morning paper from one side to the other. Both looked to him with the lift of a brow.

"Have you read the morning paper yet?" Genta asked looking up.

"Hadn't gotten around to it yet," Tim replied. "Why, is there something I should see?"

"Then I'm pretty sure you haven't heard, the cops are on the look out for Red Robin," Genta said pulling the paper from its wrapper. "But that's not all, check out what took the headlines."

Both Tim and Conan's eyes sprung wide at what they saw, reading out at the same time.

"Kid Thief Turned Killer!"

Ayumi and Mitsuhiko ran over at what they heard, gazing down to the fine print.

"It can't be," Mitsuhiko exclaimed. "Kaitou Kid would never kill anyone!"

Tim grabbed the paper, giving it a quick read.

"Says here during last nights heist up at a jewelery store he was cornered," Tim read continuing to skim. "Bingo, it says the only way he had out was to open fire, killing three in the process of doing so."

"Which jewelery store?" Mitsuhiko asked.

"The one up at the mall." Tim replied.

Conan leaned to the wall, looking to Tim who glimpsed back.

"I don't believe that for a second, and from the way he spoke, nor does Tim," Conan thought to himself. "I guess the only way to find out is to get a showing with the Kid Thief himself."

"How come you didn't tell us earlier?" Mitsuhiko asked.

"I thought you guys already knew," Genta replied. "It was all over the news this morning."

"It must be some kind of set up," Ayumi said in denial. "And now it will be up to the Detective Boys to find out what really happened."

"Yea," Genta said jumping in agreement. "What do think Conan?"

"I believe he's innocent," Conan stated. "But we'll have to go to the crime scene if we're to prove his innocence, not to mention the fact we don't really have much details of what happened."

He shifted his head to the side to find her standing to the chair, looking over the layout of the desk. Tim handed the paper back to Genta, slowly making his way over.

"You're a little quiet over here," Tim said standing over her. "Is everything ok?"

She glimpsed to him, then back to the desk.

"Everything is so neat, organized," Ai stated giving the rest of the room a look. "Without the knowledge of you being the one living here, I'd say a women was occupying this room."

He found himself lost for words, Ai jumping down from the chair and heading back toward the others. He turned to see Conan struggling to contain his laughter.

"A woman......should I take that as a compliment?"

"We don't have any time to lose," Ayumi said in command. "Let's get going."

"We might have to hold off on that," Conan said standing from the wall. "It's a big case, so I'm betting the crime scene is still filled with investigating police officers."

"Conan's right," Mitsuhiko said. "They might not let us in, even if we ask."

"So what are we supposed to do?" Ayumi questioned.

"We could try asking Inspector Megure," Conan suggested. "If we're lucky he might be willing to give us a few details."

"Great, let's give it a go." Genta said.

"Tim will you come with us," Mitsuhiko asked. "I'm willing to bet he'll be more inclined to sharing details if you're there."

"Yea, we'd love for you to come!" Ayumi added.

"Sure, I don't see why not," Tim said with a nod. "Why don't you all head down stairs, I'll join you in a few."

"Try not to make it to long," Conan snickered. "We both know how women can be."

"Don't have to worry about that Sidney," Tim smirked. "I'm usually good when it comes to time."

Conan gulped turning for the door. Ayumi walked to the side of him, whispering into his ear as they walked.

"Conan, did he just call you Sidney?"

"It's a, a code name," Conan thought up. "It's the username I use when playing Dungeons and Wizards."

"That's a strange name for you to pick," Ayumi said. "Sounds more like something a girl would use."

Conan simply laughed as they exited the room, trying to avoid any further conversation all together. They waited to the front of the apartment complex, hanging to a bench near the side of the street. Conan juggled the ball from one foot to the other, a speeding car driving past briefly catching his attention. It disappeared around the corner within seconds. The entry doors slid open with Tim walking their way, sliding a hat to the top of his head.

"You five look all down and relaxed now," Tim said joining the group. "You guys still want to go?"

"Of course we do," Ayumi said jumping down from the bench. "We were just waiting for you."

"I hope you guys don't mind if we walk, it's only about a mile from here."

"Fine by me," Mitsuhiko said in response. "We walk to wherever we need to be most of the time anyway."

"Then it's settled, make sure you all stay close when we get there," Tim instructed. "I have a good feeling it'll be crowded."

"A little redundant don't you think, the mall's usually always crowded." Conan said kicking the ball up into his arms.

"I was actually referring to any added security or news casters."

"I stand corrected." Conan said turning to walk.

They made their way up and down the streets, taking to the shaded areas at any given opportunity. A soft wind blew by, brushing past the sides of their cheeks. He couldn't help but look to her, a feeling of loneliness coming to him in return. It was that catch of the unknown that drew his attention. She glimpsed back, shifting his eyes straight to avoid any kind of confrontation. The mall came into view after minutes of walking with Conan feeling the vibration of his phone from within his pants.

"Hattori's trying to call, I'll have to ring him back after we finish up our little visit."

They entered in through the mechanical sliding doors, coming to a stop after taking a couple steps.

"Where's the jewelery store where the shooting took place?" Genta asked.

"Somewhere on the third floor," Tim replied catching sight of an escalator. "There, we can make our way up from there."  

Tim took to the front, the five of them walking right behind. It was no surprise when they arrived up. Police officers could be seen blocking off part of the third floor, pending the investigation they were still conducting.

"Anyone see Inspector Megure?" Conan asked.

"He's right over there." Ayumi pointed being the first to see him.

The six of them walked into his direction, hoping they could gain a little light on the situation. Juzo turned while they approached, holding his hand out as to instruct them to stop.

"What are you kids doing over here," Juzo asked. "This is a crime scene, this section is off limits until we gather all the data we need concerning the crime."

"We're not here to get in the way Inspector," Tim said. "We were just wondering if you could give us a little information on what you think happened."

"There's no way Kaitou Kid would ever harm anyone." Genta added.

"I'm sorry to say, but I can't give you any information relating to this matter as of right now," Juzo stated. "You'll get the details once it hits the news."

"Inspector Megure you don't think Kaitou Kid killed anyone, do you?" Ayumi asked stepping to the front.

"I'm sorry to say, but it sure is looking that way."

Ayumi's shoulders dropped with sorrow, Conan placing a hand to her right shoulder.

"Don't give up just yet," Conan calmingly said. "I'm sure we'll get more opportunities to help clear his name."

She smiled, giving him a warm hug.

"You're right, there's always tommarrow."

"So what do we do from here?" Genta asked as they turned back for the escalator.

"There's nothing we can do," Mitsuhiko replied. "We'll just have to wait until the police give a full scale report."

He could see the disappointment in their eyes as they headed back down, uncertainty looming over them. An idea popped into his head after reaching the first floor.

"I saw an ice cream shop just outside of here," Tim said. "It's hot out, and since we have a ways to go before getting back would you guys like to get some?"

"Yea!!"

Tim smiled, knowing they couldn't pass up the opportunity. He lead the way, entering to the coolness of the ice cream shop.

"Are there any limitations to what we can choose?" Mitsuhiko asked.

"No, go right on ahead," Tim answered. "You can even have seconds if you're not satisfied."

"Well at least something came out of this little trip." Conan thought giving the menu a look.

He could see her alone, standing off to the side with her back rested to the wall. He decided to walk over, putting on his best smile.

"Hey Ai, aren't you going to get something," Tim asked gaining no response. "Ai....?"

"I prefer Haibara." Ai softly spoke.

"Ok Haibara, would you like some ice cream?"

"No thank you," Ai replied. "I'll have to pass on your offer, as I'm not feeling up to anything cold right now."

Tim turned around, stepping back up to the others who stood patiently in line.

"She seems so suspicious of me, I saw similar signs before Kudo was able to deduce who I am," Tim thought to himself. "I won't make the same mistake of ignoring it, and I think I know just what to do to get her off my trail."

The water dropped from the fossette, landing from one dish to the next. She hummed as she washed, looking back to Heiji who sat to the wall in silence. She dried her hands once finished, walking over and taking a seat to the side of him.

"As quiet as you've been over here you'd almost think you were working a case." Ran jokingly said.

Heiji smiled with the lift of his head.

"How long do you think until Conan returns," Heiji asked. "I've tried calling, but he hasn't answer."

"I wouldn't worry, he's probably just up at the park playing ball," Ran said. "He probably has his phone off."

"That's real smart, what if it's an emergency?" Heiji questioned while resting his head to the wall.

"Oh please, what's so urgent that it can't wait?"

"I was putting it in wider terms," Heiji stated. "Not necessarily right now, but incase of something happening down the line."

"That's what I thought," Ran said sitting up. "Why don't we turn on the TV, I'm pretty sure there's something on we both can enjoy."  

She flipped through the channels, coming to a stop on one of the many movie channels.

"How about this," Ran suggested. "I haven't seen this one before."

"Works for me, I haven't seen this either," Heiji said looking over to her. "I'm just curious, why are you here anyway?"

"Excuse me?"

"It's a beautiful day out, why would you want to be inside," Heiji asked. "Shouldn't you be hanging out with a friend?"

"I did plenty of that after my jog yesterday," Ran said. "Besides, I still have to attend to my room here in a bit."

"They're lucky to have you around the house," Heiji said turning back to the TV. "You really do stay on top of things."

"I try to anyway." Ran said proudly.  

"Well if you finish early, you might be able to go out and have a little fun."

The door cracked open that next second, the two of them turning to see Conan enter the room.

"See, I told you he wouldn't be long."

"I got your call," Conan admitted. "I was just a to busy to answer at the time."

"It's alright," Heiji said. "Ran made for good company in the mean time."

Ran smiled at his comment as she stepped up from the table.

"Where are you going," Heiji asked. "Don't you want to watch the movie."

"I'll catch it another time, I'm going to get started on my room," Ran said heading that way. "Who knows, maybe I'll have a little spare time later."

"Huh, so she's taking me up on my advice."

Conan removed his shoes before walking over to have a seat next to him.

"So what did you want to talk about?"

"I was wondering how last night went," Heiji replied facing him. "What did Drake call you about."

Conan looked back to make sure Ran wasn't near, turning back to him after everything was a go.

"We conducted a little interrogation last night," Conan informed. "He had me use my voice changing tie to implement Brutho's voice into fooling some guy named Rick."

"Did it work?"

Conan nodded.

"I saw a different side of him last night," Conan said with darkness in his eyes. "It was almost as if he was a different person up there."

"Who, Drake?"

"That's why I brought my friends to his room today," Conan stated. "I was hoping they'd be able to lighten him up some."

"You think it worked?" Heiji asked.

"I'd say so."

"So what exactly did you learn from this guy?"

"He pointed us to a guy named Nightel," Conan replied. "Owns an antique shop up near the North-East cemetery."

"I had an idea that Rick guy would have some information," Heiji said. "What's Tim doing now?"

"Said he'd be heading back to the base to check up on something."

"I don't see why we shouldn't join him," Heiji said getting back to his feet. "It's not like we're doing anything."

Conan stood up in agreement. He walked back to the door, sliding his shoes back to his feet.

"Hey Ran, Conan and I are going to head to the arcade if that's ok with you." Heiji called out.

"Have fun." Ran replied peaking her head from her room.

Conan smiled in return, the two walking out the front door. They arrived to the base over thirty minutes later to find him to the back of the room pushing the weight bar into place.

"Hope we're not interrupting anything." Heiji said as the door closed behind them.

"No, you guys are fine," Tim said sitting up with the stretch of his arms. "I was just finishing up."

His phone began to ring to the side of the mouse, Heiji catching sight of the incoming caller.

"Wait a minute, you never told me you had her number," Heiji said removing his hands from his pocket. "What exactly is going on here?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb," Heiji said handing him his phone. "Kazuha is calling you, mind telling me how she got your number?"

"I had no knowledge of this." Conan quickly stated removing himself from the equation.

"She asked for it," Tim replied. "What was I supposed to say, no?"

"How many times have you two talked over the phone?"

"None, this is her first time calling."

"You sure were quick to reply, want to try again."

"I'm telling you the truth." Tim swore.

His phone continued to ring, placing it into his pocket.

"Aren't you going to answer that?" Conan asked with a laugh.

Tim rolled his eyes to him in response. He let it go, getting straight to business.

"Kudo told me about some guy named Nightel who owns an antique shop," Heiji said as Tim took a seat in front of the computer. "When do you plan on having a word with this guy?"

"Tonight." Tim replied.

"You said there was something else going on back in Gotham," Conan said walking to the left side of him. "You were going to tell me right before that man was killed at the dance center, I'm just wondering what it was."

"Two of the inmates who were stationed at an asylum known as Arkham escaped," Tim said turning on the screen. "That, or they were busted out."

"These guys must be pretty dangerous if it bothers you like this." Heiji said.

"Twoface has yet to make a move, but it's Hug Strange who concerns me the most."

"Hugo Strange," Conan questioned. "Is he an enemy of Batman?"

"Yes and no."

Heiji and Conan looked to him in confusion.

"What do you mean, yes and no?" Conan asked.

"Hugo sees Batman as the ultimate status, the highest peak a man can reach," Tim began. "Which is also why he feels Batman is a goal, to obtain from whom ever may possess it."

"Ok, I don't think Kudo and I are quite following," Heiji said. "Could you perhaps speak in terms that will allow for us to understand?"

"If possible." Conan added.

"In short, Hugo sees the mantle of Batman as something that should be earned," Tim said sitting back. "Which in that case would make Bruce Wayne his enemy."

"Wait, hold on a second," Heiji said trying to understand. "But isn't Bruce Batman?"

"That's correct."

"But that doesn't make any sense," Heiji exclaimed. "How can you praise one but hate the other, they're the same person."

"You're wasting your time trying to understand, it's all psyological." Tim stated. "He's like the Joker in that regard."

"Then try explaining it to us." Conan said.

"It's not that simple," Tim said resting his chin to his hands. "There is no guessing or deducting what a mind like his thinks, what he'll do."

"Then how do you go about handling someone like that?" Heiji asked.

"The only way I was taught, being prepared," Tim replied. "Just be glad you've never had to deal with a criminal mind like that, and you know something......I hope neither of you ever have to."    

It fell silent between the three. Heiji turned to the side with Conan leaning to the wall. Tim flipped on the computer screen to find the scan was just over seventy two percent from over from being completed. He took a deep breath before standing from the chair.

"Heiji when do you plan on going back to Osaka?" Tim asked.

"Gotta head back tommarrow morning," Heiji replied. "I have Monday off, but schools back in session come Tuesday."

"Any chance you can speak with Inspector Megure tonight," Tim asked. "I'd like a few extra details on that case involving Kaitou Kid."

"Sure, no problem," Heiji answered. "I'll head over to the station tonight before he closes up."

"And I'll pay our good friend Nightel a visit," Tim said. "No one else needs to die because of me."

"What about the Black Organization?" Heiji asked.

"We'll work our way to them," Tim assured. "But first let us deal with what's laid out on the table."

"I'll call you with any information I receive from Megure." Heiji said walking for the door.

"Good, I'm looking forward to that."

Conan walked at his side, glimpsing back to Tim once more before the entrance slid shut. Heiji put a hand to his shoulder as they walked, seeing the uneasiness in his eyes.

"So...how'd the interrogation go?"

"Trust me when I say I didn't want to do it," Conan replied. "But he said it would work, and it did."

"Sorry your little plan to cheer him up failed."

"Like I didn't notice." Conan said in disappointment.

"You can't really blame him you know," Heiji said looking to the street light. "He's under a lot of pressure right now, and that includes both ends."

The light hit red, allowing for the two of them to cross over.

"I have some things to do before I leave, so I guess I'll see you later."

"Maybe we'll head up to Osaka next time." Conan said.

"I'll be looking forward to that."

Conan walked in the opposite direction, deep in thought the whole way home. The moon set in nicely with a clear night sky. He gathered all his things for tommarrow, lining them up to the side of his bed. He then strolled out to the main room, taking a seat a few inches away from Kogoro who watched TV.

"You've been awfully quiet since I got home, is something wrong?" Kogoro asked.

"I'm fine, just tired from all the pitching and running today." Conan replied.

"Maybe you should think about reading a book some time, that'll help you avoid all that running."

Deep down he knew that wasn't the case. He had set out to calm him, lighten him from all that was going on. He had failed, but wasn't ready to give in. Conan continued to think, occasionally interrupted by Kogoro's laughs from the program he watched.

"Put yourself in his shoes Shinichi, what could you do to keep yourself balanced.....what would keep you from going over the edge?"

The front door flew open seconds later, Ran walking in with a light bag strapped to her shoulder.

"Where are you coming from?" Kogoro asked.

"From the water park," Ran answered. "I went along with Sonoko after cleaning up the house."

"Any guys moping around the two of you?" Kogoro asked suspiciously.

"We were fine dad, you worry to much." Ran said removing her shoes before joining them at the table.

Conan looked to her, knowing he had just found the person.

"If there's anyone who can cheer anyone up it's Ran," Conan thought to himself. "I'm sure she can come up with something."

She noticed him looking to her, a smile forming in return.

"How was your day Conan," Ran asked. "Did you have fun at the arcade?"

"It was a lot of fun," Conan replied. "I was just wondering, if we could do something fun this week."

"Fun," Ran questioned. "What did you have in mind?"

"Something we could do as a group, with my friends to." Conan added.

Ran gave it some thought, not coming up with anything off the top of her head.

"I'll see what I can find," Ran said. "I'm pretty sure there's something we can do this coming week."

"Thanks Ran."

She patted him on the shoulder while looking back to the TV. Conan did the same, already feeling a little better about the situation.

A car blazed by as the sign flipped, signaling opening hours were now over. He walked through the darkness, taking to the back of the store. He took a seat to the chair while grabbing a brass cup, a cloth in his free hand. He began rubbing away, making sure it was presentable for the coming day. A slight crack could be heard. He looked up to see nothing.

"Gotta stop closing so late, these night shifts can really get to you."

He quickly went back to work, rubbing from inside to out. The sound could be heard again, but this time louder. He looked up as he found himself forced from the chair, slammed to the wall with overtaking force. He stared to his eyes, fear taking over in that instant.

"We need to talk, Nightel."

To Be Continued
Converting /tmp/phpjGs88m to /dev/stdout