Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Same; Yet Different ❯ Chapter Two: Laugh A Lot Not ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

`When it comes to skunks, dogs are hopelessly clueless'

 

^ Just a little randomness XD

 

"Thank you for the wonderful dinner, Kuroba-san." Maemi said bowing. She'd been there for roughly half a year and she still thanks her formally every night after dinner.

 

"It's nothing, Maemi-chan. We're happy to have you." Kimi Kuroba said.

 

"I know, but thank you."

 

"Sometimes," Kaito said, juggling the dishes. "I wonder if you're really seven."

 

"Sometimes," Maemi said, almost mockingly. "I wonder if you're really 17, and not seven yourself."

 

"`Course I'm 17. I'm just a kid at heart." He held up his left hand, his right over heart, in the way of a mock promise. "Forever and for always,"

 

"Just at heart?" Maemi asked.

 

"Hey! I can be serious!"

 

"I know you can," Maemi said and yawned loudly.

 

"Maemi-chan," Kimi said, "I think its time for you to go to bed."

 

Maemi made a face. "I hate being seven."

 

"Sucks, don't it?" Kaito asked from his spot at the sink washing dishes. Maemi stuck her tongue out at him before walking into her room.

 

She slipped under the covers, still garbed in her day clothes, and waited for half an hour until Kimi opened the door and peeked in before taking a pillow from under the bed and stuffing it under the covers. The doorknob turned, and she ducked down beside her bed. She knew it was only Kaito, though, doing exactly what his mother did.

 

"Cover your tracks," He advised before closing the door.

 

`He knows…?' Maemi questioned silently before standing up, opening the window and going out.

 

"Sorry, Kuroba-san," Maemi whispered before heading to a certain house on a certain street.

 

 

 

Knock, knock, knock

 

"Hello?" Professor Agasa said, then looked down. "Who are you?"

 

"Taji, Maemi."

 

"Why are you here so late?"

 

"I have a favor to ask,"

 

"And what might that be?"

 

"Gadgets."

 

"My dear, I have no idea what it is you are talking about."

 

Maemi sighed. "Does the Black Organization ring any bells?"

 

"Come in then," He said. "Sit down, I just have to tweak a few things before they're ready."

 

Maemi nodded sat down, and, a moment after Agasa left, nodded off.

 

 

An hour latter there was another knock at Professor Agasa's door. Agasa set the box of gadgets down next to Maemi and went to go answer the door.

 

"Hi," Kaito said, "I'm here to pick up Maemi."

 

Agasa shushed him and then said, "Maemi's asleep on my couch. I'd hate to wake her."

 

Kaito nodded and went inside. He scooped her up and arranged her on his back before picking the box of gadgets up and leaving.

 

 

~*~

 

Maemi stirred slowly, immediately noticing she was back in her room. She sat up, noticing out of the corner of her eye a box. She blinked. After pulling it onto the bed and opening it she grinned.

 

Gadgets.

 

She pulled them out one by one, examining each in turn.

 

She pulled out a pair of ordinary dark blue sneakers, but, knowing Agasa, they had something special about them. Then she found a pair of lavender rimmed glasses, and slipped them on her face.

 

She then found, to her amusement, a Detective Boy's badge and vaguely thought `they need to change it to `Detective Kids'' before setting aside the white stickers she'd pulled out with the badge and pulled out the next item. It was a blue watch, seemingly innocent. She shrugged, before sliding it on her right wrist.

 

Little Blue Topaz earrings set in gold (her birthstone) were the next item found. Not sure what to do with these, she placed them on the nightstand. And last, but not least, Maemi found a voice modifier just like Conan's. After brushing her hair up into a high ponytail, she placed the door around it.

 

She got out of bed and dressed in a light pink shirt and jean shorts, as only upper students had to wear uniforms.

 

Maemi placed the stickers in her backpack along with her earrings and Detective Boy's badge. She carried both her new shoes and her bag to the genkan, set them down, and proceeded into the kitchen, from which lovely smells were coming.

 

"Ohyou, Kuroba-san!" Maemi cheered.

 

"What am I?" Kaito asked looking up from the paper from his place at the table. "Chopped liver?"

 

"Ohyou, Kaito! And no, you're chopped fish."

 

Kaito shuddered. "Don't even joke."

 

"So," Maemi said crawling into Kaito's lap and peering at the paper. "Anything about Kid?"

 

"No," Kaito said.

 

"Hmm," Maemi said.

 

"At any rate," Kimi said, cutting off an early discussion about Kid, "You've both got school today, and need to eat a healthy breakfast." She smiled and placed two bowls of rice, and various other food items, on the table.

 

"She's right," Kaito said and, picking Maemi up, placed her in the seat next to him.

 

They ate their breakfast in relative silence, and afterwards, when they were walking to school, were unusually quiet even after Aoko joined them.

 

 

 

Maemi walked out of school, sullen and eyes downcast. Ayumi would not speak to her all day, and because she wouldn't, neither would Genta or Mitsuhiko. When she did manage to get Ayumi to talk she didn't exactly talk. She yelled, ranting on and on about how Maemi purposely got Conan two days of OOS.

 

She'd noticed Maemi's new glasses, and didn't miss a chance to call her `four eyes', and when Maemi had pointed out that Conan wore glasses too, Ayumi had seethed, screaming that she was a copy-cat, trying to be like Conan. Mitsuhiko and Genta had joined in at odd times, softly and tentatively calling her four eyes every now and then. They had stopped, though, when she had pulled fake tears into her eyes, though Ayumi persisted, only stopping when Ai glared and snapped at her to be quiet.

 

She walked, though other kids joyously ran about her, eager to get home and play.

 

The brown haired girl detoured from her regular course home, deciding to stop by Professor Agasa's on her way.

 

She reached up and, not feeling much like knocking, rung the doorbell.

 

There was a yell simultaneous with a small explosion, and her head rocketed up, green eyes wide.

 

The door was opened quickly by a coughing and sputtering Conan, his face blackened by smoke and deep charcoal smoke billowing out of the doorway.

 

Maemi blinked and he took off his glasses, his eyes shut tightly, and wiped them off on his shirt before coughing again and placing them back on his face.

 

He looked at me and blinked, but before he had a chance to say anything Agasa came rushing out.

 

"Conan! Conan! Are you all right? I managed to put out the fire, but never mind that, are you alright?"

 

"Yeah, Professor Agasa, I'm fine." He said absentmindedly. "Now. What are you doing here?"

 

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING!:

 

Dear Readers,

Your beloved author, Dark Redemption, here. I have something to ask of you. Do any of you happen to know what Kaito's personality should be like? I have a vague idea, but I'm afraid I'm making him OOC. So if you could help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Also I have a question for you guys. Would you mind terribly if I switched the story to Maemi's POV? I need your guy's opinion. Please vote if you wouldn't mind if I switched or if you prefer it written in 2nd person. Honestly, I write better in 1st person though. But I can do either.

 

Thank You,

Dark Redemption

 

1st Person- 1 vote(me)

2nd Person- 0 votes.