Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ To Tell The Truth ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
To Tell The TruthfictionScarlet

       &nbs p; Rachel sat in her dad's office looking at the empty beer bottles and crumbled paper all over his desk. Normally she would clean it up a little, but she didn't have the strength. She missed Jimmy too much. "I keep thinking something has happened to him,"she thought.
         Conan came into the house dripping wet,"hey Rachel! I'm home,"he said cheerfully. He heard sobs coming from her dad's office,"oh no. she's crying again,"he thought. He went in and put his hand on hers,"it's okay, Rachel. I'm sure Jimmy will be back soon, and I bet-cha a dollar that he'll even tell you that he feels the same way. They way you talk about him tells me that he loves you just as much. So stop crying."
         She looked at him and smiled,"thanks Conan. That makes me feel better. You're so sweet." She stood up and whipped her tears away. "Is it raining outside?" Conan nodded as she got him a towel. "Did you have a good day at school?"
         Conan turned around and rolled his eyes,"yeah great!"he said. "Please who am I kidding? Those three kids won't leave me alone, and class is so boring,"he thought.
         "Rachel! Where's my rain coat?"her dad called running in the room and looking through papers.   
         She walked into the hall and brought back his coat,"here. Another case?"she asked as he put it on.
         "Yeah a missing person. Someone named Shasta Heerd."
         "Wow, doesn't she work at the video store?"Conan asked.
         "Let me guess. You want to go?"Rachel's dad asked as Conan nodded,"fine I don't care. Just don't get in the way."
         They took a cab to a small house. The place was crowded with cop cars and an ambulance. Inspector Meguire opened the cab door,"oh it's you again. I thought I would get lucky and see Jimmy instead."
         "Hey Jimmy wouldn't take a cab here! I would run!"Conan said in frustration.
         They all turned around and looked at him. "What do you mean? You act like you know Jimmy."
         Conan looked at them and laughed,"what I meant was, I guess he wouldn't use a cab." he continued to laugh. And everyone turned back to enter the house.
         They walked into the house and saw one blood stain that covered the whole living room. "And you see Mr. Moore, there's blood everywhere, but no body."one of the cops said.
         The detective looked around the room. "Okay, I have concluded that the victim was murdered and then stuffed into a bag so only the blood would be in the living room."
         "But Detective, the whole room is red!"Inspector Meguire said.
         "That one is simple, too."he said smiling. "The killer spread blood all over the place so that it would confuse us."
         "No that's not right,"Conan thought. "If that were true then, there would be an imprint of the bag. Something here sounds familiar. But what?" He walked around the mess and saw something on the floor. He tiptoed over and picked it up,"a nail?" It was a rusty nail; he could also see a few shavings of wood on it, too. "Hey Detective, I found something!"he said running up to him.
         The detective took the nail from the boy's hand and examined it closely. "Well, well, a nail. I got it! The killer used this nail to...."
         "Maybe it came out of something,"Conan said. Both men nodded and didn't avert their gaze from the object. "But what?"Conan thought,"where did that nail come from? Let's see it's got to be from something wooden. And it's rusty so somewhere damp and something that is very old. Something that has to be immobile and that's been here for a while." he noticed himself looking at his feet, but saw something wrong with one of the floor boards. He pulled up the rug and saw a floor board bowing. "Inspector! There's something wrong with the floor!"
         "Not now Conan!"the detective said. He turned back to the man he was talking to. Conan walked over to where Rachel was. She was getting bored; he could tell. The man was very skittish and kept darting his eyes. "So how well did you know the victim?"Detective Moore asked.
         "Uh well she was my cousin. I didn't know her very well. I grew up in Kyoto."the man a.k.a. Melvin Gore said. He sat in his chair straight up and hardly moved.
         The inspector took the Melvin's bag,"I'm just gonna' look." He pulled out pens and two notebooks. Then he pulled out something that sparked Conan's interest: a book. Conan picked it up as the two men looked through the notebooks. It was The Tell Tale Heart . The detective looked at the pens and totally ignored the book.
         "Is this yours?"Rachel asked the man.
         He nodded cautiously. "But I didn't know I had it again."
         They looked at him in confusion. "What do you mean?"Conan asked.
         "Well my wife took it away. She told me that reading such things would shove people to the limit to do the things in the book."
         "You didn't tell me that you had a wife,"Inspector Meguire said.
         "yes I do, but she said she won't be here for another hour. The whole reason for us staying here was so she could go on her business trip without us staying in a hotel."
         Conan put his hands behind his back and thought for a minute while looking at the room. "The perfect mystery,"he thought. "Since this guy has a wife, I have another suspect."looked at the blood, but this blood wasn't like any kind he'd seen. The blood was darker. "Um.. Inspector. This doesn't look like a persons blood. It's a deeper crimson."
         They quickly walked to the boy and took a closer look at the floor. "My God you're right!"a cop said.
         "Hey I've seen that color before!"they looked at another cop in suspense. "I killed a rabbit on a hunt once with my father-in-law. That looks exactly like it's blood."
         "Of course! Why didn't I see it before?"Detective Moore and Conan said at the same time.
         "Okay I know it! I got it solved, and there's no way I will go uncredited."Conan said to himself as Melvin's wife came in.
         She walked in not even phased by the scene of the house. "Oh my dear Melvin. Your nightmares are haunting you."
         "Hold it Mrs. Gore!"Conan yelled. "I have it figured out! And you thought that you could get away with it."
         "I have no idea what you're talking about, little boy."she said.
         "Don't play dumb! You did this, and I can prove it. First your husband gave a tip off he didn't even know about. You were sick of hearing about those horror books. So you convinced him that he should stop reading them of they'll come true. You then decided to make one of the books reality; why would you try to read the book if you want to ban your husband from it? You found the perfect victim for your plot, but knew she wouldn't agree to it. You took Miss Shasta and reacted the book The Tell Tale Heart."
         "So then is Miss Shasta dead?"the detective asked.
         "Of course not."
         "Then where is she?"the inspector asked.
         "Uh...haven't they read the book?"Conan thought. "Right here,"he said pointing at the floor.
         They looked at him in confusion,"huh?"
         Conan pushed the rug aside and looked at the boarding closely. "Here it is!"he said tapping on the small hole on the board. "You see that nail I found went in this hole. And you can see dents in the floor where someone has recently hammered the rest back in place."
         "He's right,"Inspector Meguire said.
         "So she's under the floor?"Rachel asked.
         Conan nodded,"now let's get her out of there."
         After pulling up the boards they saw Shasta lying on the ground tied up. "Conan! You're a genius!"Rachel cheered. "You're as good as Jim....,"she started, but she decided not to say.
         Conan took her hand,"thanks Rachel."
         So the police arrested Mrs. Gore and got Shasta a new living room floor. But everyone was curious to know how Conan figured it out so quick. Detective Moore wasn't so happy about the situation. Inspector Meguire was happy though; he was proud of Conan.
         Rachel sat in her dad's office looking at the mess, and again had no energy to clean. "I miss you, Jimmy. But with Conan around it makes me feel a little better. Please come home soon."she said out loud.
         "Don't worry, Rachel. I'm here,"Conan thought while listening to her